Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
playing a bunch of dumbass magic space lizards that seek power as dumbassly as possible. Just released an eldritch horror and swore fealty to it. the resulting destruction of the solar system was really cool looking and I sometimes forgot how pretty it can be outside galaxy map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

ilkhan posted:

If I'm at that point I console into their empire offer peace, console to other empire, accept, back to my empire. Do it on pause so the ai doesn't mess with your empire.

Didn't think of that, wound up stomping the crisis and called it a day, wound up with 2nd place with 48 years to go on the clock and I figured I was done with this match.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
At a certain point dealing with 30-40k jumping fleets entering my space from a dozen different connecting spots and wormholes while trying to maneuver a dozen of my own fleets in attacking positions and following through on 3-4 troop groups taking planets and then having to move all those damned pops around to fill jobs while also dismantling dozens of enemy citadels because the upkeep on them tanks my economy while also dealing with gal council votes and espionage and... and.. and... Just isn't fun any more.

That's when it's time to start a new game and bitch about not getting gateways and jump drives and mega engineering and other techs early enough.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Traxis posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1906038494

Make sure to follow the installation instructions

Thanks I tried this one and either I didn't do it right or I didn't notice a significant difference. There were some odd errors in the debug logs so there's a good chance I might have the wrong version of gimp installed or something

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've just started playing Stellaris again after a while and I'm having a weird random issue that I'm not sure if it's a bug or me just misunderstanding a requirement - I'm playing an authoritarian fanatic militarist Necrophage Corporate empire, and I've got a slave processing facility on a planet with slave pops, but for some reason I can't construct slave armies. The slave pops are allowed to be soldiers under the species rights (and indeed, I can construct a normal assault army with that species type). Is there something I'm missing technology-wise to unlock it? Or is it a thing where one of the aspects of my empire just silently disqualifies me from being able to build that army type?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2811753548&searchtext=

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

In my current MP game an NPC devouring swarm is way stronger than anyone else and declared war on one of our players and was about to roll over them. Then suddenly however its fleets stopped.. as did its ship building. It had not invaded into my friend's territory yet. From the score we can see that it has been pumping up its economy though. It has been completely passive for a number of years now.

Is there some known bug about NPC-s like this and is there any way to fix it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SirTagz posted:

In my current MP game an NPC devouring swarm is way stronger than anyone else and declared war on one of our players and was about to roll over them. Then suddenly however its fleets stopped.. as did its ship building. It had not invaded into my friend's territory yet. From the score we can see that it has been pumping up its economy though. It has been completely passive for a number of years now.

Maybe it's alloy production got all hosed and it's currently trying to fix that?

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Maybe it's alloy production got all hosed and it's currently trying to fix that?

IDK, perhaps.. but it had enough fleets to kick rear end already.. however it keeps them stationary.. during wartime

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SirTagz posted:

IDK, perhaps.. but it had enough fleets to kick rear end already.. however it keeps them stationary.. during wartime
Was that across multiple sessions? The rare times I've seen the AI go passive, a game restart fixed the issue.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
I believe a alloy deficit will debuff ships, maybe the FleetAI thinks it no longer has the fleets required to do any of its military goals, and thus no longer tries to do anything until the ships are no longer debuffed.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It could also be that the fleet is unable to find a path to its target due to being blocked by star fortresses (or fortresses + fleets in the same system) it doesn't believe it can take out, though that's probably not the case if it's much more powerful than the players.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

It was just the one session. I was looking for explanations before we start up another round tonight.. so yeah - hopefully it will sort itself out.

Military power collapse due to missing funds would make sense but its economy is the strongest one in the game by score and is growing fast. Also - sitting pretty due to a fortress would make sense but it is not building new fleets. I guess it can be a combination of multiple things.

If it does not sort itself out quickly in the beginning of next session I will probably load it up in SP and try to take a look. I was just thinking that maybe poeple have been encountering or have heard of a similar thing before.

Thanks for all the feedback

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can load a multiplayer save and choose to play as the devouring swarm to see what's up, if you wanted to.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Playing cooperatively with a friend as spiritual extremist xenophobic empire. I also have Corvet system. It was my 3rd game ever, and first time ever trying this alignment. Friend and I were in a federation together, and I took over some systems from a neighbor. Noticed that I was losing support and it was due to the xenos. So I tried population control and moving my species over, and that caused even more problems.

So I changed it to extermination and within a year 90 pop of xenos vanished. Was great. But then my friend and I couldn't do any diplomacy, because he was a xenophile! Took 120 years before we had positive relations again.

After that I set the default to deportation. Now whenever I take over territory he gets repeated pop-ups saying refugees have flooded over. We're around 45 years from the game end and even with my really dumb mistakes I got up to 1050 pop of my starter race. No robot workers or slaves.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 31, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SirTagz posted:

poor hive mind, thought of an ant and died

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Does anyone have a good list of origins, civics, and empire types that are often banned in MP? Our ongoing game series has one player who keeps picking the most OP builds and going aggro while everyone else makes regular good builds, and now we're trying to figure out a pool of elements that are straight-up banned and another pool that are restricted to just picking one and not combining with others.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Torrannor posted:

Not if the GC banns sentient slave trade!

If you join the GC and get the market, then leave the GC you keep the market, right? If so, do your own preferences wrt slavery take precedence over the GC's?

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I recently joined an MP group and they shared some empire creation rules. The PDF says "SCM" with a logo so I'm not sure if that's a larger Stellaris tournament org or something.

code:
Banned Civics: 
- Any genocidal 
- Anything that generates AIs (Hegemony, Lost Colony, etc)
- Clone Army
- Rogue Servitors
- Merchant Guilds combined with Void Dwellers
- Citizen Service
- Permanent Employment

Banned during gameplay:
- No custodian or emperor
- No Crisis perk
There are also lots of rules on when you can declare war on other players, but I'm not sure if that's germane.

Anyhoo, I don't have explanations behind any of these rules. At a glance, there's no clear theme. IE, Citizen Service is presumably strong because of the extra naval capacity, but there are plenty of other civics that provide the same.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

No fun allowed. Sever imo

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

No custodian/emperor is poor imo, the intrigue and offering of benefits to players and the players trying to fight back against the Empire is a great part of gameplay.

The civics though I can see.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Does anyone have a good list of origins, civics, and empire types that are often banned in MP? Our ongoing game series has one player who keeps picking the most OP builds and going aggro while everyone else makes regular good builds, and now we're trying to figure out a pool of elements that are straight-up banned and another pool that are restricted to just picking one and not combining with others.
Have you considered telling them to knock it the gently caress off?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

DarkLich posted:

I recently joined an MP group and they shared some empire creation rules. The PDF says "SCM" with a logo so I'm not sure if that's a larger Stellaris tournament org or something.

Thanks, that's a good start.

Obviously playing in something just short of god mode is fun for that player, not so much for everyone else when we're six weeks into a game and starting to realize that one guy is actually using whatever's considered most imba at the time.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Splicer posted:

Hah, yeah, unfortunately it's the only person in the group that I don't know particularly well. In the first game where he did it - using the merchant spam build that was in vogue at the time and was nerfed multiple times while our game played out - we got every other player in the game to ally against him and squeezed out a victory, and I didn't think he would go online and just look up the new most OP build before our next game. Ooops, that one is my bad.

HelloSailorSign posted:

No custodian/emperor is poor imo, the intrigue and offering of benefits to players and the players trying to fight back against the Empire is a great part of gameplay.

The civics though I can see.

Yeah definitely allowing custodian/emperor, all the politicking and arguing around that is a lot of the fun of these games. The civics and origins are the thing to look at imo.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Hah, yeah, unfortunately it's the only person in the group that I don't know particularly well. In the first game where he did it - using the merchant spam build that was in vogue at the time and was nerfed multiple times while our game played out - we got every other player in the game to ally against him and squeezed out a victory

That actually sounds like a fun game to me - the group came together and beat the crisis

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

SirTagz posted:

That actually sounds like a fun game to me - the group came together and beat the crisis

It was, with a caveat - this isn't what anyone else had signed on for, and basically every other narrative in the game got flattened out by this guy's build. But yeah, it was still fun specifically because it worked out and we overcame the odds, and then in the next game we saw that even just one other player allying with him made it basically impossible to recreate that outcome. There was still some fun to be had in that game, mostly in the early game when everyone was busy with local conflicts, but in the end it was this dude with fleets larger than almost every other player combined rampaging around, and, uh, it would be nice to have everyone on something of an even playing field next time.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It was, with a caveat - this isn't what anyone else had signed on for, and basically every other narrative in the game got flattened out by this guy's build. But yeah, it was still fun specifically because it worked out and we overcame the odds, and then in the next game we saw that even just one other player allying with him made it basically impossible to recreate that outcome. There was still some fun to be had in that game, mostly in the early game when everyone was busy with local conflicts, but in the end it was this dude with fleets larger than almost every other player combined rampaging around, and, uh, it would be nice to have everyone on something of an even playing field next time.

Make a requirement for them to pick Doomsday origin.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Stellaris has pretty consistent balance issues, so any multiplayer game where someone treats it like StarCraft is going to have Problems (tm),

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tbh we have agreed to not use Crisis trait in out friend games either because it's total horseshit.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

HelloSailorSign posted:

Make a requirement for them to pick Doomsday origin.

There was a pretty effective Doomsday robot build by Stefan. I tried it out once and it was very strong at the time. Quite possible nerfed since then though.

I think if one person is ready to minmax within the confines of the rules and the others are more up for just a chill or RP game, the minmaxer will be very strong no matter what. The others just have to adapt a more aggressive build/play as well, accept losing in a similar manner every time or just kick the person from the group. I doubt some magic restrictions will hold that guy back. There are meta builds for MP games out there which have already excluded the most extremely overpowered stuff.. so if he wants to dominate, he can still look these up and follow gameplay instructions.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

SirTagz posted:

I think if one person is ready to minmax within the confines of the rules and the others are more up for just a chill or RP game, the minmaxer will be very strong no matter what.

That could be, but a player becoming very strong with a 'normal' build is fine IMO, all we're looking to avoid is the kind of build that sets people up for basically nonstop exponential growth with no downsides; like Kaal said it's not like this game isn't prone to weird balance issues. If they still end up the strongest - but not stronger than every other player combined - that's cool.

I'm also hoping that this player will get the hint when we talk about certain builds being OP. if they dont then i dont know, lol, guess we'd have to deal with that in like three months after this next game wraps up

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

SirTagz posted:

There was a pretty effective Doomsday robot build by Stefan. I tried it out once and it was very strong at the time. Quite possible nerfed since then though.

Not familiar with that exact build but Doomsday + Machine Intelligence in general is extremely powerful. I don’t think it was nerfed, if anything, it got even stronger when they changed the cost of resettling pops from influence to unity.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Our Stellaris MP group (plug for mapgoons! we play games on maps. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973361) is running with the following house rules next game:

- no AIs, releasing vassal AIs or origins that spawn them (too easy to take advantage of dumb AI to make yourself powerful)
- no attacking other players before 2230 (otherwise the person/s who corvette rush win)
- no total war origins (fanatic purifiers, etc.)
- no aquatic unless ocean paradise is taken (aquatic's too good)
- no clone army (hilariously unbalanced early game start)
- Rogue Servitors can't take prosperous unification orign and build Ecumenopolis
- no crime megacorps (people who do this in MP are basically doing it to troll, they lose horribly but make it unfun for everyone else)
- no become the crisis ascension perk, no declaring a player the crisis in galactic assembly
- no barbaric/nihilist bomb-stealing pops before 2275

All of these came about because someone did them in MP and proved why they shouldn't be allowed. The last MP test game for example had a federation of criminal megacorps that would chain-place crime holdings on people's homeworlds, bypassing the placement timer. Paradox -really- doesn't test for balance in MP and it shows some times.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
This is the exactly reason I never play these games against anyone. I only play cooperatively.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Lum_ posted:

Our Stellaris MP group (plug for mapgoons! we play games on maps. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973361) is running with the following house rules next game:

- no AIs, releasing vassal AIs or origins that spawn them (too easy to take advantage of dumb AI to make yourself powerful)
- no attacking other players before 2230 (otherwise the person/s who corvette rush win)
- no total war origins (fanatic purifiers, etc.)
- no clone army (hilariously unbalanced early game start)
- Rogue Servitors can't take prosperous unification orign and build Ecumenopolis
- no crime megacorps (people who do this in MP are basically doing it to troll, they lose horribly but make it unfun for everyone else)
- no become the crisis ascension perk, no declaring a player the crisis in galactic assembly
- no barbaric/nihilist bomb-stealing pops before 2275

All of these came about because someone did them in MP and proved why they shouldn't be allowed. The last MP test game for example had a federation of criminal megacorps that would chain-place crime holdings on people's homeworlds, bypassing the placement timer. Paradox -really- doesn't test for balance in MP and it shows some times.

Thanks. Funny to see rogue servitor and ecumenopolis on the list; we had an issue with a rogue servitor player using the remnant origin to get an easy ecu without needing to take the perk and then building habs so they didn't need to expand. I never would have even thought it would be an issue before that game.

I gotta say though, declaring a player the crisis in the galactic assembly is exactly the sort of shenanigans that we've all found really fun. it actually played a role in helping us beat the OP build player when we made him the crisis over the objections of two players who hadn't realized how far ahead he was yet, and without it that game probably would have been lost.

Charles 1998 posted:

This is the exactly reason I never play these games against anyone. I only play cooperatively.

We've normally ended up with people forming cooperative blocs based on who you start near, and then competing against other blocs towards the mid-game before the real fireworks go off during/after the crisis. It's a lot of fun and generates a lot of hilarious 'water-cooler' talk during the two or three months a game takes to play out, highly recommended if you have a group that's generally inclined to play mildly competitively and - at least with one exception - has the same outlook on what's fair and what isn't.

Electro-Boogie Jack fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 31, 2022

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The problem is that it can be exploited by a federation with a bunch of influence in the senate to force a war against their enemies which ends up destroying the senate entirely. (again, this actually happened and is why the rule exists.)

Generally any game mechanic which can take away player agency in MP is probably a bad thing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lum_ posted:

Wait, Aquatic is good? Unless they take Ocean Paradise? I dont understand.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lum_ posted:

The problem is that it can be exploited by a federation with a bunch of influence in the senate to force a war against their enemies which ends up destroying the senate entirely. (again, this actually happened and is why the rule exists.)

Generally any game mechanic which can take away player agency in MP is probably a bad thing.
This is the kind of thing that's very cool and funny the first time and exceptionally irritating every time after that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wait, Aquatic is good? Unless they take Ocean Paradise? I dont understand.
+10% output and 100% hab on three, probably four, planets out of the gate is a hell of a thing. Ocean Paradise turns your guaranteed habitables into iceballs.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Citizen Service is banned because you can use it to grant gestalts citizenship, iirc.
Those rules are pretty robust imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My friend group had a guy who would roleplay as Space North Korea every single time, eventually:

Splicer posted:

Said player quit our group altogether, and nothing of value was lost.