Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sharing from badass pics thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

smackfu posted:

I travel the New Haven to New York Penn route fairly regularly and I don’t really see any difference in business class between Acela and Northeast Regional. Acela is a few minutes faster and usually more expensive.

(Usually I just travel coach since it’s half the cost and not very crowded.)

HSR journeys of like 80 miles don't have that many advantages. Even in a fairly optimal scenario you only save like 10-12 minutes; your time and distance at speed is low.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

over the same route with the same stops, or over the same route with much fewer stops?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In the Northeast corridor, regular Amtrak is already skipping most of the stops since they are being served by commuter rail.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

OMGVBFLOL posted:

over the same route with the same stops, or over the same route with much fewer stops?

Acela isn't even that fast, most of their speed advantage comes from skipping even more stops than the regional.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

NightGyr posted:

Acela isn't even that fast, most of their speed advantage comes from skipping even more stops than the regional.

also in southern CT is limited to the same speeds as NER mainly, v nice. Acela has like two sections with 150 mph speed limits in Mass/RI and that's it.

But like take an 80 mile journey, same route with just two stops; even hypothetically at 150 miles/hour (acela top speed) you cover it in 32 minutes assuming instant acceleration to top speed. At 100 miles an hour you cover it in 48 minutes. Take in to account some time losses for acceleration / deceleration and you're spending a lot of effort and money to go significantly faster in % terms but not all that much faster in real time savings. It really only starts to add up over longer journeys that have a limited number of stops.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Just when your day seems to be going bad, God pisses on you
https://www.wisn.com/article/hot-air-balloon-crashes-hits-train/40171875

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

You just loving KNOW that crew was on hour eleven on a day where the engineer and conductor both came off the extra board with only a few hours of sleep for both of them. What lovely luck for everyone involved.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i was about to laugh at you for posting something that had already been posted, until i realized i was conflating the train diddler thread with the plane diddler thread

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
How to fire up a coal fired loco. Specifically the Denver & Rio Grande Western 491.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nyt1lB5tP8

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
The Class 91 'Intercity 225' locos (and coaching stock) are getting a new-old livery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRVdq5BOBA

Three-and-a-half decades old and they can still look like sex on rails. :fap:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

spincube posted:

The Class 91 'Intercity 225' locos (and coaching stock) are getting a new-old livery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRVdq5BOBA

Three-and-a-half decades old and they can still look like sex on rails. :fap:

Yessssssssssssssssss! Didn't know this was happening but it's a very good thing. (Edit: On closer examination, I really like how it's not just IC Swallow, but IC Swallow pattern in modern carmine/plum LNER colours. Apparently it's also a proper paintjob, not vinyl. A great way for the class to see out their last few years in service).

Not only is the Intercity 'Swallow' livery objectively good - and one of the best liveries that BR ever came up with - but when I was a kid the IC225s were just entering service and, seeing them in magazines and on the telly I just thought they were the one of the best things in the world - not just the best train, not the best machine, but the best thing. We didn't live in a part of the country anywhere near their stamping ground so I only got to go on one once before they became GNER (another cracking livery) but nine-year old me was almost beside himself with excitement.

Now I live somewhere on the ECML and have been on loads of IC225s and they still feel a bit special to me - a few years ago my other half and I went on a weekend holiday to Scotland and shelled out for First Class on the train, and our northbound train was hauled by the Class 91 in Swallow livery, just to top off an excellent day. I took a train into London last weekend and was dreading an LNER Azuma with its cramped, ironing-board seats, rough ride, feeble HVAC and weird under-floor banging noises, but lucked out with an IC225 set that was, as ever, smooth, quiet, comfortable, refined and stonkingly quick. It'll be a sad day when the last of them is retired.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 15, 2022

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I do kind of wish modern British railway companies did something new and good instead of just slamming the nostalgia button over and over again

On the other hand, swallowtail livery

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

JuffoWup posted:

How to fire up a coal fired loco. Specifically the Denver & Rio Grande Western 491.

I just watched a guy talking about / showing firing a loco for an hour and was surprisingly highly entertained.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I am very happy that firing a coal locomotive is not something i have to do day in day out for years on end

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's a reason they kept fires going in them when they were in the shop overnight, easier to have someone tend small fires in a roundhouse full of locos overnight than to do... that every morning.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Keeping a (small) fire in reduces the stress on the boiler caused by cooling down completely and then being warmed again from cold.

It's for the same reason that when lighting from cold it's brought around very slowly. It could be forced from zero to full pressure much more quickly but it's not good for the boiler. I'd light a fire at 5.30am with the loco not being due to go off shed until after 9am.

Things were probably a bit different in the past when locos weren't pampered so much, but the principle stands.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
On the other hand, you could pay some starving 9 year old a few pennies a day to run around all night throwing pieces of coal into the firebox, so it all evens out.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8yTwoCe3pA

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That tug of war against the different sizes of traction engines looks so fun. I wish our ag shows did interesting things like that.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Random thought as I walk my dog: F40PHs stink.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

JuffoWup posted:

This guy was part of the part-time team of Railroads Online, doing music and historic consultation. His streams are fun because he's worked Railroad museums as well as a a class 1 railway so he'll just bust out a story about finding a poo poo-ton (of poo poo) in a train or some old steam engine that was run on a shoestring for years. he knows his poo poo.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 15, 2022

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yeah Hyce is great. i don't watch streams but his youtube posts are a regular watch for me

its wild to me that firing a boiler from stone cold without stressing it too much takes multiple freakin days

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

From the Waffleimages thread:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I saw this truck getting his train on.

Was pulling a lot more cars at a higher rate of speed than I would have thought a non-locomotive would have. Spraying what i would assume is herbicide. I've never seen a truck pull rail cars like that. I guess horsepower is horsepower.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Powershift posted:

I saw this truck getting his train on.

Was pulling a lot more cars at a higher rate of speed than I would have thought a non-locomotive would have. Spraying what i would assume is herbicide. I've never seen a truck pull rail cars like that. I guess horsepower is horsepower.

I've seen trucks like that used to pull a car or two for work trains before but never one that big. I wouldn't have thought it could handle that many cars either. I guess if you have enough traction to get going...

In other news,

https://twitter.com/Amtrak/status/1565414263530950662

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Log082 posted:

I guess if you have enough traction to get going...

For sure, especially since braking is distributed and powered by pressure reservoirs on each car. Now, charging the system may take a while without a monster loco-sized air compressor...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
If you're into reading accident reports of train accidents and the analysis of why they happened, here's an interesting site:

https://mx-schroeder.medium.com/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
And speaking of railroads: there's potential for a strike on the 16th that could really hose the supply chain again.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/09/economy/freight-railroad-strike/index.html

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

And speaking of railroads: there's potential for a strike on the 16th that could really hose the supply chain again.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/09/economy/freight-railroad-strike/index.html

Sucks, but the railroads have been raking it in hand over fist for a couple years now while telling their employees to get bent when they ask for a reasonable work/life balance.

Turns out that poo poo has consequences.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Yes, this is the right thread for this picture:

That’s an Alaska Marine Lines tug towing the Alaska Railroad barge. IIRC it has 7 tracks for rail cars.

I was on the Alaska ferry LeConte and we passed it in Icy Straight; the weather toward the Gulf of Alaska was bad so I believe they were holding until it improved.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Promo film for the 1968 UAC/Sikorsky TurboTrain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF7RCEGgqO0

Some pretty neat stuff.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Powershift posted:

Promo film for the 1968 UAC/Sikorsky TurboTrain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF7RCEGgqO0

Some pretty neat stuff.

Wow! More than TWO YEARS of research and engineering!

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hello train thread!

I’m looking for some resources (either book or documentary) about railroading history in the Pacific Northwest. What would be some recommendations for that?

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Combatace posted:

Hello train thread!

I’m looking for some resources (either book or documentary) about railroading history in the Pacific Northwest. What would be some recommendations for that?

This YouTube channel has a few decent videos on the history of the short lines in Oregon. https://youtube.com/channel/UC3G510Eh35CTWGzzYDU_eiw

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Gunzels (aus), foamers (US), anoraks (UK), what other names do we have for train enthusiasts?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Today I saw a normal CSX road engine pulling a train in reverse/long hood forward. That... isn't normal, right? I've never seen that before.

It was on a main line, pulling a full train, not switching or servicing an industrial spur or something. All of the hoppers looked older and rustier than normal, too, though I have no idea if/how that would be related. Maybe clearing out or shifting rolling stock around in case of the strike?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I was buying some intermodal decals the other day and laughed at the homer/Foamer graffiti decal they sell.

https://circusdecals.ecwid.com/products/Railroad-Graffiti-S-1-64-Scale-Decal-Set-p456255021

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

That's awesome. Sending the Flaming Moe's decals to my dad asap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Log082 posted:

Today I saw a normal CSX road engine pulling a train in reverse/long hood forward. That... isn't normal, right? I've never seen that before.

It was on a main line, pulling a full train, not switching or servicing an industrial spur or something. All of the hoppers looked older and rustier than normal, too, though I have no idea if/how that would be related. Maybe clearing out or shifting rolling stock around in case of the strike?

It happens. Often it's a local freight which doesn't justify multiple locomotives. Locomotive turning facilities are pretty rare these days (wyes, loops or turntables) and all "hood" units are ostensibly designed to run in either direction. This is less true with full width nose or "wide cab" units since they often have a desktop style control scheme rather than a control stand like older units which places most controls next to the engineering instead of in front of them and is much more friendly to bi-directional operation.