Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Driving through the woods was amazing, I loved every bit of it :allears:

On the other hand, I was disappointed we didn't see how far the car really went, the CGI was... subpar for 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The driving through the woods piece was my favorite part. The rest of it just felt like an episode of old top gear, which is good, but I kinda expect more from The Grand Tour when we only get two episodes per year. I don't know what COVID restrictions they still have but this whole thing was very obviously filmed very quickly and almost entirely on an estate in Wales.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The Grand Tour (of someone's backyard). Also what was with the eating scenes with "James" having his head covered in a towel? I guess he wasn't present for those and they just shot around him?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The joke is that he's eating ortolan bunting.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jehde posted:

Welp, that's disturbing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I think this one was far better than the last two since the stunts were less weird, also the subs joke during the car race was a nice self aware one

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The weirdest part of the special to me was using the Aventine as an example of a weird/stupid French car when they had a whole segment on Top Gear in 2008 about how much all three of them like it

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Drakkel posted:

The weirdest part of the special to me was using the Aventine as an example of a weird/stupid French car when they had a whole segment on Top Gear in 2008 about how much all three of them like it

Nobody sane of mind can say good words about the velsatis or avantime

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Drakkel posted:

The entire episode was about why they like French cars and the French mentality of making cars. Even the stupid ones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah I don't know how you missed the whole vibe of "these cars are stupid as poo poo, but look at this cool thing it has"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

The driving through the woods piece was my favorite part. The rest of it just felt like an episode of old top gear, which is good, but I kinda expect more from The Grand Tour when we only get two episodes per year. I don't know what COVID restrictions they still have but this whole thing was very obviously filmed very quickly and almost entirely on an estate in Wales.

I'm of the opinion that they are spending a ton of time and pre-production prep under the assumption that they will get to travel to other countries and do their gags. Which keeps not happening and so they are stuck at the last minute modifying everything to work with what they got even though the jokes don't work any more.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Murgos posted:

I'm of the opinion that they are spending a ton of time and pre-production prep under the assumption that they will get to travel to other countries and do their gags. Which keeps not happening and so they are stuck at the last minute modifying everything to work with what they got even though the jokes don't work any more.

Yeah, that is what Brexit and COVID-19 does.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I might be losing it after a few months of lockdown, but throwing basic french at each other driving through the woods somehow got increasingly hilarious for me. Merde! Bonjour! Allez!

Enjoyed the captions gag during the race too. Nice to see Richard Porter show up too, and the French intern was hilarious.

Side note: Abbie Eaton currently has a broken back. She's going to be fine, but gently caress sausage kerbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SWmInErmKg

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I laughed and i laughed hard.

"Ball Bag."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Enjoyed the captions gag during the race too. Nice to see Richard Porter show up too, and the French intern was hilarious.

Oh she was great. Is she enough of a celebrity to be a weird celebrity crush (tm) because she's going to have *fans* after this.

Actually liked much of the show - it really was like an old top gear, stupid jokes, cheap but endearing cars. Even the turn to an earnest point with the SM after the race worked.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yes, very well done all around. I'm totally ok with this content in place of traveling to the top of the Himalayas or wandering through Moscow or something, but I just wish they could do more of it. Still my favorite show.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Jehde posted:

Which he really ate on his wine show.

The weird French stereotypes also work for French Canadians as well

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I might be losing it after a few months of lockdown, but throwing basic french at each other driving through the woods somehow got increasingly hilarious for me. Merde! Bonjour! Allez!

*crash* "Bonjour monsieur"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-hYbbDkEZI

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The new series was good, but dear god are they getting old. Not sure how much longer Clarkson can keep it going.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slanderer posted:

The new series was good, but dear god are they getting old. Not sure how much longer Clarkson can keep it going.

I think he's aging twice as fast as a normal person.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Sometimes folks get on, and that's ok. The three still make amazing stuff, and I'm going to watch everything they do as TGT. But I'm also getting ready for them to say "that's it." And I actually won't mind as long as I still get to watch James do his cultural content and see Jeremy piddle about on his farm.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYhjPqcxUw

New video, is this from a yet unaired episode?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Data Graham posted:

From the number plates alone it would have been filmed in 2015/16 or so. I’m also /pretty/ sure I’ve seen it before on tv or youtube. Could be it’s one of the pilots they knocked up before landing TGT with Amazon?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Season 1, episode 13.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Don't know if anyone cares anymore, but the third iteration of nu-Top Gear (McGuinness-Flintoff-Harris) is rather OK, especially after ditching the studio segments entirely, with great majority of episodes being one challenge/feature instead of mishmash of smaller items and test drives.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Looks like new series coming June 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSPX7PHwDRg

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Der Kyhe posted:

Don't know if anyone cares anymore, but the third iteration of nu-Top Gear (McGuinness-Flintoff-Harris) is rather OK, especially after ditching the studio segments entirely, with great majority of episodes being one challenge/feature instead of mishmash of smaller items and test drives.

I think it says a lot about the chemistry Clarkson-May-Hammond had that I preferred the studio segments over everything else they did. I miss THE NEEEEWWWWWWS.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seconded.

The car stuff was always just a platform. I watched for the collaborative comedy panel routine

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Data Graham posted:

Seconded.

The car stuff was always just a platform. I watched for the collaborative comedy panel routine
Once I was at my grandparents' house, watching the Argentina special. My Gran was reading the newspaper, but about 20 minutes in she was watching it as well. Near the end of the episode she said: "Oh I see. It's not really about the cars, it's about the three of them fooling around!"

I think if anything, this becomes more obvious looking at the behind the scenes sections. Or listening to the drivetime radio show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhgqPJ5R9hM

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

I think it says a lot about the chemistry Clarkson-May-Hammond had that I preferred the studio segments over everything else they did. I miss THE NEEEEWWWWWWS.
Same, the news was always ripe for some good gags

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
First ep was pretty fun, last race was great.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Come to find out donk racing fuckin rules

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I enjoyed that first episode!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hehe Freddie hurtling himself down that run in a C5 tribute was amazing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New james may series trailer

https://youtu.be/aSUfeCeyVz0

the english breakfast pizza will haunt me forever

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh man I love his shows. What's BIM in Italian?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

What's BIM in Italian?

No idea, never saw those personal guide on a player dealio outside of a select few museums let alone a cute robot variant.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I don't think I've seen Freddie and Paddy look as happy as they did first getting into their cabs at the beginning of the show

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The whole trucker segment was great. I expected them to just putter around the airfield and do stunts and stuff but it was fun seeing that they actually got licensed and took them out on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Agreed, the trucker segment was just good fun and hopefully people will respect trucking a little more now.