Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think any of the remaining teams can beat Tampa. It's playoffs and random poo poo will happen so I'm not putting money on it but the three contenders look really brittle to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

xzzy posted:

I don't think any of the remaining teams can beat Tampa. It's playoffs and random poo poo will happen so I'm not putting money on it but the three contenders look really brittle to me.

Yeah agreed :sigh:

JMFJ is going to be on ice for like 14 goals allowed in the Finals despite only playing 9 minutes a game, Cooper is just going to mercilessly tear him apart

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Imagine doubting Connor and Leon. SMH

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Chad Sexington posted:

Bigger frauds: Carolina or Florida?

Fancy Cats were supposed to be fairly unstoppable if they got Ekblad back. So much for that. (Plus, they had problems in the second round and none of them were Sergei Bobrovsky related, so :lol: $10M Man, but it wasn't his fault.)

WeaponX posted:

New York isn’t here, this is the loser thread

Soon come.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Panthers really need to move on from Brunette and hire a real coach, but it's not like Barry Trotz is available or anything.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Wrong thread

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Panthers really need to move on from Brunette and hire a real coach, but it's not like Barry Trotz is available or anything.

*Monkey's paw curls"

"I'd like to introduce the next coach of the Florida Panthers, Paul Maurice!"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Boston series must have taken a lot out of the Hurricanes because they weren't themselves at all in round 2. That may be in part because Gallant is a better coach than Brind'Amour (which he probably is) but I dunno the Hurricanes were really underwhelming that whole series and could easily have gone down in 5, to a team that should have gone down in 5 to the Penguins in the first round. Tampa should wax them but who knows hockey's weird.

I dunno, feels like people haven't been giving the Rangers any credit and it's all "oh Carolina just didn't play well" without thinking hey maybe the Rangers themselves had something to do with that

The Rangers have not played pretty at all here but they are tough and annoyingly resilient and have not been making things easy on the other teams

People mentioned that Lundqvist said on the Rangers post game that one of Carolina's problems is just that they didn't change anything up at all, they were predictable with their game plan for better or worse. Their forecheck and all is tough as hell but you know it's coming and you just figure out how to deal with it. You don't have to really gameplan around anything else. Same for their PP and PK. You've got a 7 game series to figure out how to play them without any surprises

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think Lundqvist is right about the Canes and it suggests Brind'Amour isn't actually that good a coach--they have one system and make no adjustments, if it doesn't work they lose. Meanwhile considering how wildly differently the Rangers' games against the Penguins were from their games against the Hurricanes, it is clear that Gallant can and does make major adjustments on the fly. The Penguins gave the Rangers more trouble despite being nowhere near as good top to bottom as the Hurricanes, which probably speaks to Sullivan being a better coach than Brind'Amour.

I don't mean to poo poo on the Rangers, as I posted a couple pages back it's clear to me they have the foundation of a dynasty in place. But I don't think they're ready just yet and I expect the Lightning to make that clear. (Also I did in fact pick the Rangers to beat the Penguins and the Hurricanes, it's not like I think they suck and are lucky to be here.)

Was also very wrong about Zbad, he dominated the Hurricanes who seemed more focused on Panarin.

e: I should clarify that Brind'Amour appears to be not a very good strategic/tactical coach, he is apparently aces at what soccer fans fall the man management aspect of coaching and being a media legend in Carolina makes things easier for him there too.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 31, 2022

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Hurricanes have at least two systems: Grit, and Grind.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Levitate posted:

I dunno, feels like people haven't been giving the Rangers any credit and it's all "oh Carolina just didn't play well" without thinking hey maybe the Rangers themselves had something to do with that

The Rangers have not played pretty at all here but they are tough and annoyingly resilient and have not been making things easy on the other teams

People mentioned that Lundqvist said on the Rangers post game that one of Carolina's problems is just that they didn't change anything up at all, they were predictable with their game plan for better or worse. Their forecheck and all is tough as hell but you know it's coming and you just figure out how to deal with it. You don't have to really gameplan around anything else. Same for their PP and PK. You've got a 7 game series to figure out how to play them without any surprises

The Rangers have had their games where they didn't play well, but so did Carolina. They've been pretty good through 14 games, and they're 8/14 which is what you really want anyway. The series with Tampa is going to be interesting, as I see them both playing in similar styles of defend and break while getting good scoring from their PP. They do have a good chance, and if their kid line keeps having fun and finding some space it'll be fun to see which team's depth scoring will make it work too.

Carolina were very predictable, but they were all season. If a team could get their break-outs down, that forecheck left them open. They take a ton of penalties too, which means they're defending for probably 10 extra minutes a night and that doesn't help. But really they couldn't break inside on the Rangers except at the beginning of the series. Lots of shots sure, but if they're from lower risk areas I'd lean on my award nominated goalie to save those too.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i believe in artemi panarin's ability to defeat the tampa bay lightning in the nhl playoffs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think Lundqvist is right about the Canes and it suggests Brind'Amour isn't actually that good a coach--they have one system and make no adjustments, if it doesn't work they lose. Meanwhile considering how wildly differently the Rangers' games against the Penguins were from their games against the Hurricanes, it is clear that Gallant can and does make major adjustments on the fly. The Penguins gave the Rangers more trouble despite being nowhere near as good top to bottom as the Hurricanes, which probably speaks to Sullivan being a better coach than Brind'Amour.

I don't mean to poo poo on the Rangers, as I posted a couple pages back it's clear to me they have the foundation of a dynasty in place. But I don't think they're ready just yet and I expect the Lightning to make that clear. (Also I did in fact pick the Rangers to beat the Penguins and the Hurricanes, it's not like I think they suck and are lucky to be here.)

Was also very wrong about Zbad, he dominated the Hurricanes who seemed more focused on Panarin.

e: I should clarify that Brind'Amour appears to be not a very good strategic/tactical coach, he is apparently aces at what soccer fans fall the man management aspect of coaching and being a media legend in Carolina makes things easier for him there too.

Yeah I think Brind'Amour could improve as a coach and be real drat good if he can take that step but it's clear I think that they need a little something else out of him and their system

Jhet posted:

The Rangers have had their games where they didn't play well, but so did Carolina. They've been pretty good through 14 games, and they're 8/14 which is what you really want anyway. The series with Tampa is going to be interesting, as I see them both playing in similar styles of defend and break while getting good scoring from their PP. They do have a good chance, and if their kid line keeps having fun and finding some space it'll be fun to see which team's depth scoring will make it work too.

Offseason thread and all but yeah, should be fun at least, I think you gotta acknowledge that NY has legit talent up and down their lineup even if they're not as dialed in as a team like Tampa. I said at the start of the Carolina series that I just hoped the Rangers made it competitive and all and I just hope that's the case here again. Also, it sounds kinda dumb, but I do think having a guy like Goodrow and on the team has helped. Kreider too. The team isn't overall very playoff experienced until this point but there are enough vets who keep them calm and keep grinding away that I think it helped them get away from those "first year playoff jitters"

quote:

Carolina were very predictable, but they were all season. If a team could get their break-outs down, that forecheck left them open. They take a ton of penalties too, which means they're defending for probably 10 extra minutes a night and that doesn't help. But really they couldn't break inside on the Rangers except at the beginning of the series. Lots of shots sure, but if they're from lower risk areas I'd lean on my award nominated goalie to save those too.

Yeah again though, playing that way all season is different than playing that way in a 7 games series against the same opponent. It's not crazy to say that you shouldn't change up your system much during the regular season, but if you see a team has figured you out in the playoffs then you need to fix it. It's also always been my impression that Carolina likes those perimeter shots...it's not just that the Rangers kept them to the outside, it's that when Carolina can't get inside easily they just fling the puck at the net. They don't work it to try to setup more slot chances etc, they just go for the long shot/tips/rebounds.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm at acceptance. The Canes were worth watching almost every night. That's something they didn't do for almost a decade.

Making the playoffs every year feels a lot better than not making the playoffs. To next season, but first, get those pieces of poo poo Bolts in this thread. Quit being cup hogs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's the upshot of having Panarin- he draws so much attention that a skilled forward on his line can get on the score sheet even if he isn't. Look at Cam Atkinson and his 41 in 2018-19.

Every time I heard Brind'Amour talk (which wasn't often, but still), his interviews had "Just gotta get pucks in deep 'ere, boys, finish our checks" vibes.

Jhet posted:

The last time the Rags got this deep and were in this situation (facing off against Tampa in the ECF), they were in the "skilled but also kinda bolstered by being backstopped by Hank" era. Over 19 games, only 5 players (Brassard, Nash, Stepan, Yandle, Boyle) had 10+ points.

This time around, over 14 games, they have 5 players with 10+ points (Zbad, Fox, Copp, Kreider, Panarin). Is that "skilled but also kinda bolstered by being backstopped by HankShesty" enough to top them this time? Maybe not this year, but it's a dangerous combination that has carried them longer than I thought it would and good on them for being more than "a PP and a goalie" as some pundits were saying leading into the playoffs.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

CBJSprague24 posted:

The last time the Rags got this deep and were in this situation (facing off against Tampa in the ECF), they were in the "skilled but also kinda bolstered by being backstopped by Hank" era. Over 19 games, only 5 players (Brassard, Nash, Stepan, Yandle, Boyle) had 10+ points.

Yeah the 2014 and 2015 teams always felt like they were slogging through the playoffs and their top players just couldn't quite find that extra gear so it was very "by commitee"

I also think the Rangers would have beat Tampa in 2015 if Zucc hadn't gotten that skull fracture and if McDonagh wasn't playing on a broken foot that required "freezing" before the game and inbetween every period. But that's hockey.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/USHL/status/1531652026597351426

lmao oh ok ushl

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Hurricanes could use another defenseman that fits in with their team's culture.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

oh also before anyone blames the USHL for being run by shitheads, they've thrown the teams and GMs under the bus lol

https://twitter.com/USHL/status/1531652029566812162

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think either Gallant or Brind'Amour are excellent tactical coaches. If you break out coaching into a few categories:

1) Systems: implementing and getting buy-in to a system
2) Psychological: getting players to play hard and get the most out of them, getting them ready for games
3) Evaluation: the ability to understand players' strengths + weaknesses and put them into the right roles
4) Tactical: the ability to tweak your system to change to a particular matchup

...then I think the only coach rates high in all 4 categories is Cooper. Sully and Trotz are good at 3/4, but Trotz isn't good at changing tactics in a series IMO and Sully isn't great at evaluating players. Sully is phenomenal at tactics and Trotz is phenomenal at systems. Cooper isn't as good as them in those categories, but he's still top 5 or top 3 at all of them.

Gallant is okay at systems, great at psychological, pretty good at evaluation, and not so good at tactics. Brind'Amour seems good at systems, good at psychological, good at evaluation, and not so good at tactics.

In the playoffs, I think tactics work takes an outsized role, which is why the Penguins dominated the Rangers so much IMO. Sully identified how to stop their breakout consistently (trap and neutralize the stretch passes) and how to get great scoring chances (low backdoor plays and scrambles). Brind'Amour just kept having his team do a low aggressive forecheck and work it outside on the point. Which worked in a few games in which the Rangers weren't able to beat the low forecheck, but when the Rangers were buzzing, it led to a lot of 2-on-1s and penalties, and he never changed it. And Carolina's only good offense came from individual efforts by their stars breaking out of the system or just low-percentage luck.

As I said though, I think Cooper is the best tactics coach outside of Sully, so I would not be surprised if he's able to identify and try the same poo poo. Will be interesting to see if they have the personnel for it. Based on the Pittsburgh series, if Cooper cracks it, Gallant won't be able to counter it and adjust very effectively. In that case, hopefully Trouba's got a few more in him and Kreider remembers how to do his magic trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtHdkK46iIk

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 31, 2022

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Haha yeah. Injuring people sure is cool. Good 1

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I said it a few months ago but Miller will get drafted again this year. Probably higher than he was last time. Someone will use a 2nd round pick on him. The Coyotes mistake was not being lovely enough to just hold onto him.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the rangers suck rear end

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

As I said though, I think Cooper is the best tactics coach outside of Sully, so I would not be surprised if he's able to identify and try the same poo poo. Will be interesting to see if they have the personnel for it. Based on the Pittsburgh series, if Cooper cracks it, Gallant won't be able to counter it and adjust very effectively. In that case, hopefully Trouba's got a few more in him and Kreider remembers how to do his magic trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtHdkK46iIk

Cooper also has waaaaay better players than Sullivan does. He doesn't have Crosby but he has more really good players and fewer really bad players.

However the Lightning also have long stretches of losing focus and playing really sloppy hockey (inevitable when you've won the last two Cups) and if the Rangers can take advantage of those opportunities to put some goals on the board they have a chance. K'Andre could have a huge series at least offensively, he is really deadly at catching you napping.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 31, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

Haha yeah. Injuring people sure is cool. Good 1

the Lightning have upended a portion of how good this normally is. just gives you more LTIR for next year

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
running out of new york teams to beat in the finals. this is our last year probably :baduk:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Wonderllama posted:

running out of new york teams to beat in the finals. this is our last year probably :baduk:

Should be easy to predict who loses in the finals, at least: find out who employs Creepy Rory!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'm a little bit skeptical of after the fact pronouncements of a team's system not being good enough, or a team not being able to make adjustments.. especially with the discrepency in goaltending performance that we saw.. just to stir the pot:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1531472214285078528

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1531621132046110723

like ok so... Carolina's system is easy to figure out and exploit, but if anything the play tilted more in their direction later on in the series than at the start.. oh and if it's true that Carolina plays this system that is so easy to figure out, how did they beat Boston in the first round then? Why wasn't Boston (in my opinion a much better roster talent wise than New York) able to make the adjustments to exploit Carolina's system?

Like.. it kind of seems like Lundqvist is searching for a justification of why the Rangers were able to beat Carolina that doesn't come down to "they had a massive goaltending advantage to make up for getting outshot and out chanced during the games".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bruce Cassidy does not adjust.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Starsfan posted:

I'm a little bit skeptical of after the fact pronouncements of a team's system not being good enough, or a team not being able to make adjustments.. especially with the discrepency in goaltending performance that we saw.. just to stir the pot:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1531472214285078528

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1531621132046110723

like ok so... Carolina's system is easy to figure out and exploit, but if anything the play tilted more in their direction later on in the series than at the start.. oh and if it's true that Carolina plays this system that is so easy to figure out, how did they beat Boston in the first round then? Why wasn't Boston (in my opinion a much better roster talent wise than New York) able to make the adjustments to exploit Carolina's system?

Like.. it kind of seems like Lundqvist is searching for a justification of why the Rangers were able to beat Carolina that doesn't come down to "they had a massive goaltending advantage to make up for getting outshot and out chanced during the games".

I don't think that means like, "oh we figured them out we can now dominate them" it's just like...if you know their offensive gameplan is always going to do a certain thing, their PP is always going to do a certain thing, you can expect it and not get surprised by them doing something else. Those things still might be good and hard to defend, but you're not guessing.

And yeah Raanta is legit an extremely goddamn good goalie. He's legit grade A number one goalie quality if he wasn't injury prone. That he gaff'd on some goals in game 6 and blew up his leg or whatever in game 7 doesn't take away from that. He's probably more talented than Andersson

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Levitate posted:

I don't think the Rangers forced the Canes continue taking dumb penalties, to play like dog poo poo for the first period of 6/7 games, nor did they turn their PP into predictable garbage passing around a static umbrella because it was like that for weeks before the series even started.

I suppose you can give them credit for exploiting the Canes' numerous uncharacteristic defensive breakdowns, especially on the normally good PK.

Also man, Kotkaniemi had better magically round himself into a clutch two-way, middle-six center next season because that contract is hot loving garbage for such an unremarkable player.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ah yes the hurricanes just magically didn't want it enough, maybe next year they'll decide they want to win some games

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

eXXon posted:

Also man, Kotkaniemi had better magically round himself into a clutch two-way, middle-six center next season because that contract is hot loving garbage for such an unremarkable player.

Maybe the revenge offer sheet for the meme potential was a bad idea

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WeaponX posted:

Yeah but they got to own someone on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1531689891918118913

Lmao

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Rangers definitely played better 5v5 in this series than they did against Pittsburgh. And now Igor looks like Igor.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

WeaponX posted:

The offer sheet was a reasonable gamble compared to doubling down for eight freaking years instead of just taking the loss.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

I don't think it had as much to do with adjustments as it did the Rangers being able to instill their preferred style of play moreso than the Canes in more games of the series. Neither the Rangers nor the Canes made any tactical adjustments, it's just that the Rangers showed up more and got better shooting + goaltending...which in 4/7 games, they were able to turn it into. I don't buy the xGF or even Corsi stuff a ton for this series, because it shook out as:

game 1--grindy Carolina style of play, Carolina won
game 2--grindy Carolina style of play, Carolina won
game 3--wide open Ranger hockey, Rangers won
game 4--wide open Ranger hockey, Rangers won
game 5--grindy Carolina style of play, Carolina won
game 6--wide open Ranger hockey, Rangers won
game 7--wide open Ranger hockey, Rangers won

IMO this was something you see a lot in the NHL, where it was just a battle of which team is able to get the game to be played in their comfortable style. most coaches are pure systems coaches. as opposed to the Pens series, where the Pens got ragdolled for a period and then Sully said "oh okay, we can just make a few adjustments and dominate the pace of play" and it took Big Bad Jake and a third-stringer for the Rangers to advance.

eXXon posted:

The offer sheet was a reasonable gamble compared to doubling down for eight freaking years instead of just taking the loss.

if he continues growing into a +faceoff guy who can do decent things at even strength, I think it'll be a good contract. I would be in favor of signing Kakko to a similar one.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The offer sheet was fine and $4.8m per for a 22 year old bottom six centre is a bit much but far from awful. I'd pay him that over say 29 year old Barclay Goodrow for $3.6 until 2027.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm really looking forward to either Maroon's quest for a fourth straight Cup or Goodrow's quest for a third being brought up every five minutes throughout the Finals, definitely going to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Radulov heading to the KHL. I loved his energy, even if it usually ended up costing the Stars a penalty.