Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Lol this all made me decide to say gently caress it and just read the wikipedia summaries of season 3/4. I love how we've gone from a small town adventure with a tight cast of characters you can follow to literally infiltrating Russian gulags and "you fight a monster, YOU fight a monster, EVERYONE FIGHTS A MONSTER". Can't wait until mid season 5 when portals open up all over the world and it's a complete global threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Kill All Cops posted:

bo burnham inside outtakes

The parts where the takes are shown simultaneously eliminated every time he fucks up are so good

I think peanut butter should've made it in the final cut, but I'm glad he ended on the song he chose

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

BIG BIG SPOILERS FOR STRANGER THINGS 4 IF YOU CARE

dr. brenner started his project to make more psychics after things with 001 didn't work out. the show draws an explicit link from that to eleven, and says that brenner did something to make sure he got psychics out of the process. is 001 eleven's biological father? apparently a piece of spinoff media says it was the boyfriend of her mother, but that's spinoff media and that's never stopped franchises before

I only watched Season 1, but her mom was an MKULTRA test subject already. There's a whole subplot about finding that out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

I only watched Season 1, but her mom was an MKULTRA test subject already. There's a whole subplot about finding that out.

Right. This season retells Eleven's history with some new stuff. 001 is the first in the series of psychics (leading up to Eleven), and he's also the big bad evil, Vecna. The question is if Dr. Brenner used 001 to inseminate a woman in order to create Eleven, as there's a time jump in there.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Arivia posted:

steve, robin, nancy, and new character eddie go through a portal to the upside down and spend the entire episode there beating the poo poo out of monsters and having adventures. it really neuters the danger and horror to just be like "oh yep four people with oars to use as clubs can survive here no problems." the ante doesn't get raised until new villain vecna grabs nancy at the end of the episode because now the regular poo poo in there isn't scary.

how the hell do you make the stranger things monsters not scary the scariness of the monsters is like the one aesthetically defensible thing about the franchise

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

how the hell do you make the stranger things monsters not scary the scariness of the monsters is like the one aesthetically defensible thing about the franchise

that's why i say it's jumping the shark!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

gotta squeeze in more time for scary russians

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

gotta squeeze in more time for scary russians

don't worry, the entire gulag is taken out by the conspiracy theorist and his black belt karate i am not making this up

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
there is no reason for any netflix show to go beyond 1 season. they all end up bad in the end

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arivia posted:

don't worry, the entire gulag is taken out by the conspiracy theorist and his black belt karate i am not making this up

god I'm glad I stopped watching this loving show

Did they at least pay off the 'HOLY SHITDICKS 11 IS WEARING ANOTHER GIRL'S SCRUNCHIE IN THIS PROMO TEASER' queerbaiting?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

god I'm glad I stopped watching this loving show

Did they at least pay off the 'HOLY SHITDICKS 11 IS WEARING ANOTHER GIRL'S SCRUNCHIE IN THIS PROMO TEASER' queerbaiting?

what, i have no idea what that's referring to at all

the only queer content is robin and it's pretty obvious will has a crush on mike

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so what youre saying is that d and d does turn our kids gay and the satanic panic people were right

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arivia posted:

what, i have no idea what that's referring to at all

the only queer content is robin and it's pretty obvious will has a crush on mike

lmao the actor just did a loving mealy mouthed the character's sexuality is up to the viewer interview.

What utter crap.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.avclub.com/john-dimaggio-futurama-didnt-get-pay-raise-return-1848995902

quote:

John DiMaggio says he didn’t actually get a pay raise for returning to Futurama
DiMaggio couldn't get any more money out of Hulu, but he did say he won respect from colleagues

lol, lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

so what youre saying is that d and d does turn our kids gay and the satanic panic people were right

speaking of, most of the town is out for blood from the D&D club because of the satanic panic exactly

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

quote:

And Hulu actually did have a backup plan, however unpopular it would have been with Futurama fans. DiMaggio told the crowd that if he hadn’t come back, the show was “planning on using guest stars, [and] they were going to replace Bender’s voice each episode.”

i cant imagine hearing that this was disneys backup plan and not immediately just going you know what guys do that no really i double dog dare you to do that and see what happens

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

spacemang_spliff posted:

there is no reason for any netflix show to go beyond 1 season. they all end up bad in the end

so you're the one keeping s2 of dorohedoro from me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

i cant imagine hearing that this was disneys backup plan and not immediately just going you know what guys do that no really i double dog dare you to do that and see what happens

yeah imagine being scared of andy samberg or w/e stealing ur job, should probably have called that bluff

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

And Hulu actually did have a backup plan, however unpopular it would have been with Futurama fans. DiMaggio told the crowd that if he hadn’t come back, the show was “planning on using guest stars, [and] they were going to replace Bender’s voice each episode.”

that would actually loving rule

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thats gotta be one of our best politics metaphors in awhile niche figure learns to his surprise that a fuckton of his supporters want him to pick a fight with the bosses because they loudly think hes in the right and his response to this is to fold in such a way that implies he won in spirit when he didnt actually win anything whatsoever and probably made the situation worse by backing down so easily

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Arivia posted:

new villain vecna

very very happy to have bailed after the first season now lmao

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh, gently caress, and the next episode's called "Papa".

Yeah I think you're right.

papa is just what eleven calls dr brenner

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
im trying to be less of a snob how do i get into pop culture

the last normie movie i watched was gerard butler's "angel has fallen" which was pretty good i guess

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tungsten posted:

very very happy to have bailed after the first season now lmao

part of me thinks it's cute but another part of me is deeply annoyed they're still milking the it's like their D&D game guys!!! framing with no actual interesting thing other than names

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

read the Hollywood reporter only

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

galagazombie posted:

Propaganda can, believe it or not, be masterfully done even if reprehensible. Truth has never been a synonym for talent. Are you really going to tell me you never hoot and hollar’d when Rocky beat Drago?

Yeah I gonna files the movie at some point and treat it like a popcorn movie (because it is) and have zoom zoom plane action going while I play some zoom zoom plane simulator

It's also possible to watch propaganda/bad movies with a critical eye :shrug:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Cael posted:

literally infiltrating Russian gulags and "you fight a monster, YOU fight a monster, EVERYONE FIGHTS A MONSTER". Can't wait until mid season 5 when portals open up all over the world and it's a complete global threat.

That is just Half Life 2 then.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

spacemang_spliff posted:

I liked the second season of Black Summer

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Netflix produced the second season of The End of the F***ing World and that was pretty good. The showrunners were also smart enough to stop after two seasons rather than trying to push it into a franchise type show like ST.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Stranger Things is the one horror thing where I will legit be angry when/if any of the characters die.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RobbZombae posted:

Stranger Things is the one horror thing where I will legit be angry when/if any of the characters die.

you've watched s2 already right

how about s3

probably gonna be someone major dead in s4 too

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

TheSlutPit posted:

Netflix produced the second season of The End of the F***ing World and that was pretty good. The showrunners were also smart enough to stop after two seasons rather than trying to push it into a franchise type show like ST.

the showrunners probably just (correctly) predicted netflix would only run the show for two seasons like everything else on the platform

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://youtu.be/m-gUHOpRUqc

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

the showrunners probably just (correctly) predicted netflix would only run the show for two seasons like everything else on the platform

lol I googled this and apparently netflix cancelled the showrunners other show (“I Am Not OK with This”) out of the blue, then offered him money to make a second season of TEOTFW that he didn’t even want to make and twisted his arm until he obliged. I guess it’s not surprising he told them to eat poo poo afterwards.

e: dude has some interesting stuff to say about Netflix https://www.insider.com/jonathan-entwistle-netflix-cancellations-one-season-2020-10?amp

TheSlutPit has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Jun 1, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

im trying to be less of a snob how do i get into pop culture

the last normie movie i watched was gerard butler's "angel has fallen" which was pretty good i guess

i follow this thread, watch everything a24 puts out, and follow a few kpop and metal channels on youtube idk. i do not touch the star war or the comic mans (watched mcu up to but not including endgame and then just called it good)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

thats a dumpster fire

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

not reading the spoilers but now i'm excited to see how bad it is. if only the episodes weren't so loving long

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Koirhor posted:

thats a dumpster fire

i thought it was an old show i've never heard of because it looks like it's from 2006

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

im going to eat baby yoda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one thing i will contribute is that triple j's Like A Version series is really fun and worth following their channel for

we just found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGDZkt1hEm4