Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You can always just take the L and keep playing. The game doesn't end when your favorite pony dies, it's about dynasties and all that. And also it's VERY easy to climb back up the tree once you know what you're doing, takes about one lifetime to go from count to my-heir-is-emperor. Taking the loss also dissolves all debt, and may or may not let you continue playing as the guy who deposed you (so, uh, win-win?).

Blood in the water is a major mechanic, which is why you have allies and deep banks. One distant relative who's an an ally-by-house-blood can hold off the peasants while you call a marriage-ally to defend against the separatists and have a gold bank incase the neighbors looks fiesty.

For this ruler to be salvagable you'd need to marry off some family (if not daughters, mothers? sisters?) asap or just call it a day, possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Oh yeah, coming back from a major L is one of this game's better feelings.

On the other hand, tomorrow's patch may actually break saves (though 1.5 will likely be available as a Steam beta, any mods you were using that update may be more complex to deal with than that) so never hurts to come to terms in advance.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Ransom however many of your least assholeish or richest rebel dukes it takes to pay off the debt and build a war chest for the rest of the civil war, then win the rest of the civil war, then handle THAT set of prisoners as desired?

edit: Or alternatively, pretend tomorrow's patch broke your save and start over to fail better this time

This ended up being a blessing in disguise because, yeah, while everything was chaos, it gave me reason to revoke TONS of titles and reorganize poo poo. I was able to fight each group piecemeal, with a bit of help from my holy order. As each fell, I stripped their titles then ransomed them to finance the war effort. Hopefully putting my own sycophants in charge will make the rest of this guy's life easier.

Serephina posted:

You can always just take the L and keep playing. The game doesn't end when your favorite pony dies, it's about dynasties and all that. And also it's VERY easy to climb back up the tree once you know what you're doing, takes about one lifetime to go from count to my-heir-is-emperor. Taking the loss also dissolves all debt, and may or may not let you continue playing as the guy who deposed you (so, uh, win-win?).

Blood in the water is a major mechanic, which is why you have allies and deep banks. One distant relative who's an an ally-by-house-blood can hold off the peasants while you call a marriage-ally to defend against the separatists and have a gold bank incase the neighbors looks fiesty.

For this ruler to be salvagable you'd need to marry off some family (if not daughters, mothers? sisters?) asap or just call it a day, possibly.

Oh, I know. The problem is this guy doesn't have enough kids yet for that play. I tried looking for allies and just couldn't find anything that would be able to make a significant difference. And the only reason my bank wasn't deep was the heart attack catching me right after I'd consolidated the LAST succession crisis. I only had about 1k in the bank, and my heir didn't have the traits necessary to capitalize on it. Anyway, now I have 39 prisoners to go through, revoke titles, ransom, etc. This is only slightly less onerous than the time I ended up with 17 kids to marry off at once.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Oh yeah, coming back from a major L is one of this game's better feelings.

On the other hand, tomorrow's patch may actually break saves (though 1.5 will likely be available as a Steam beta, any mods you were using that update may be more complex to deal with than that) so never hurts to come to terms in advance.

Oh god that’s a good point. Glad I got my Chakravarti before my save got nuked. Would’ve been pissed if I got 99% there and had to start over.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Is there anywhere I can see how/why someone ended up in prison? I have two dukes sitting in jail that I don't have a justification to revoke against, and I have no idea why. Anything I do is marked tyrannical, so I'm at a loss.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Warmachine posted:

So this has gone from mildly irritating to potentially save-ending. I was starting to get things under control, but then my ruler had a heart attack and died. It left me in a position where I straight up didn't have anything left to try and disarm the Liberty Faction from firing, which it did. Half the realm rises up in rebellion. No problem, I thought: I can crush them, revoke everything, and put some sycophants in charge. I just need to beat them up before I go too deep in debt and before they start to doomstack.

What I didn't account for was every other malcontent smelling blood in the water. Now I have 3 rebellions on my hands (I've managed to put down the first) and I'm almost 700 gold in debt with 25 prisoners and god knows how many titles to revoke. Please help me balance this budget my troops are starving.
If you have multiple factions at once and you can't fight em all, just surrender/white peace the liberty faction - it's the lowest cost (lower Crown Authority) so you don't lose anything. Now everyone that participated can't do any factions for a while so you can stabilise.
Love that the Steam page says it releases on the 31st, but in my time zone I'm pretty sure it won't come out till 1st June :sigh:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

binge crotching posted:

Any of the special counties are great places if you want to remain count/duke sized. Göttingen in Saxony is a really good one if you want to play in western Europe. You start as a count of a copper mine province (the mine is only built in 1066 though), your liege is a mega duke who can crush you if he ever felt like it, you have claims to some of your fellow vassals, and if you do decide to expand to duke size your duchy is only 5 counties.

I had a ton of fun with Gottingen, I quickly got to domain limit by punching the one county fellow vassals nearby, and with the mine I had more money than I knew what to do with. It really helped that my starting character only had one son so I didn't have to worry about reconquering stuff at all.

Well now it's 1120 or so, I have a full stack of 2400 MaA, all buildings in my 6 county demesne fully built up, partition and 3 sons. The mine is at level 2 and is making me money hand over fist. I could easily beat up my uncle-liege for his stuff with a couple merc bands on my side, grab the duchy of Angria and maybe then usurp the duchy of Thuringia - but I kind of don't want the hassle :v:

What I do dislike about staying "small" is that you can't choose which innovation to focus, and if you're not the top level dynast you can't choose your lineage perks. drat silly uncle-liege keeps going down the Kin branch, I want Blood to make my eugenics shenanigans :argh: (I might get my wishes granted, said uncle has a literally idiot heir with other better siblings and when he inherits the duchy will likely explode leaving me free to grab whatever I want and rise to the top of my dynasty and general area)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 31, 2022

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Current shaeniainigans of the Briain dynasty: Ole Murchad took a fair bit of Ossory and Leinster, but died on the battlefield. I gave Briaian Briain (the son) Stewardship and is doing a bit better for money, but when I enacted limited crown authority, all of my vassals formed a civil war faction, threw me in jail, dissolved the law and reinstated me?

That was weird. Anyway, if I ever want my ill-gotten land gains to pass on to my descendants I need hereditary rule, and while I may research it (in 58 years, good job with the old book learning Briaian), how do I get folks on board to accept it without later deposing me?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tias posted:

Current shaeniainigans of the Briain dynasty: Ole Murchad took a fair bit of Ossory and Leinster, but died on the battlefield. I gave Briaian Briain (the son) Stewardship and is doing a bit better for money, but when I enacted limited crown authority, all of my vassals formed a civil war faction, threw me in jail, dissolved the law and reinstated me?

That was weird. Anyway, if I ever want my ill-gotten land gains to pass on to my descendants I need hereditary rule, and while I may research it (in 58 years, good job with the old book learning Briaian), how do I get folks on board to accept it without later deposing me?

Bribes, sway, and feasts. Then do it when you're in your 60s and have long rule bonuses. I've also had some success with diplomacy characters using the "befriend" action.

Alternatively murder people until you have 100 dread and everyone is kowtowing in fear that they'll be the next be tortured then beheaded.

The "without later deposing me" largely comes down to having a personal army big enough that they'll either not rise up, or when they do rise up you have a good chance of beating them. (As my own experience with Haestining has taught me.)

Tias
May 25, 2008

That sounds doable, but conflicts with having enough money to actually bribe any vassals or pay a large personal guard :o

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dread is one of those mystery things where if you have a certain amount, vassals won’t rise up against you. So like said above murder some people, or execute some counts or dukes and your dread will shoot up and factions will disappear. That’s the other way to get rid of factions if you don’t have money.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Dread is extremely strong (probably too strong still), having the starter dynasty legacy for the 15 passive dread actually solves problems on its own

Tias
May 25, 2008

Doesn't most dread causing actions also count as acts of tyranny? Doesn't this bite back, or do I just have to become a murderhobosovereign fast enough for it not to matter?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Not all

Killing and torturing prisoners of a different faith, for example, does not

edit: this was nerfed on the last patches but is still the safest, easiest way, to get dread. before every prisoner gave dread when executed/tortured, now they have to be count or above. But you will usually capture some in wars and raids. Also the highest he title, more dred you get. So if you capture the enemy king during a war, make sure you torture him before ending it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 31, 2022

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I can't just impale x lowborns? What does a guy have to do to terrorize his realm around here :eng99:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

if you're focused on the Intrigue tree, sometimes you get a chance to wipe out a ton of people in your jails in one fell swoop, become The Impaler, and get a ton of dread

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Tatsuta Age posted:

if you're focused on the Intrigue tree, sometimes you get a chance to wipe out a ton of people in your jails in one fell swoop, become The Impaler, and get a ton of dread

Yeah the torturer intrigue tree gives some good events to raise dread. Combined with the forever infamous perk, you can be at 100 dread quickly and terrify everyone even as an infirm blind lunatic until you croak.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Patch notes are out!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/it-is-time-to-decide-the-fate-of-iberia.1528613/

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I have an important question about the game. I believe you could do this in CK2, but in 3, can you:

1) Be gay
2) Get a gay lover
3) Get said gay lover elected pope

If so, I'll try and get the game next time there's a decent sale.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
lol I went on steam to pre order the new DLC and I found I already own it

I guess it was also included on the "Expansion Pass " I bought a while ago

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

I have an important question about the game. I believe you could do this in CK2, but in 3, can you:

1) Be gay
2) Get a gay lover

Yes for 1 and 2. For 3, I dont know how you can get anyone elected pope in this game

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

1) Be gay
2) Get a gay lover

1 and 2 yeah, for sure.

3 I have no idea, BUT if the Pope is gay and you are too, you should be able to seduce him, make him your soulmate, and maybe steal his hat.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Warmachine posted:

So this has gone from mildly irritating to potentially save-ending. I was starting to get things under control, but then my ruler had a heart attack and died. It left me in a position where I straight up didn't have anything left to try and disarm the Liberty Faction from firing, which it did. Half the realm rises up in rebellion. No problem, I thought: I can crush them, revoke everything, and put some sycophants in charge. I just need to beat them up before I go too deep in debt and before they start to doomstack.

What I didn't account for was every other malcontent smelling blood in the water. Now I have 3 rebellions on my hands (I've managed to put down the first) and I'm almost 700 gold in debt with 25 prisoners and god knows how many titles to revoke. Please help me balance this budget my troops are starving.

Ah yes, unexpected ruler death can make things super fun and intense. Some of my favorite times in CK3.

If its just a liberty faction all they want is lower crown authority? Give it to them. Even independence factions are worth surrendering to if they aren't going to take the land you want your heir to get away if you can't manage them. Peasant uprisings aren't the end of the world to give into, often they just create independent and thoroughly helpless little states that you can reconquer once you've got your poo poo back together. Don't fight wars that are just going to make you weaker. If you have sufficient personal holdings to survive having your title snatched, even giving into a faction looking to depose you isn't the end of the world. Let the new king deal with all the unhappy vassals while you rebuild. So many times I've just given into the demands, watched the new ruler fail to handle the same problems, and then pushed my own faction to reinstall myself which everyone loves now.

One weird trick is if you have a vassal who is especially strong and owns territory you don't desperately need, and isn't de jure yours, just give them independence. Boom. Can't undermine me from within from that side of the border! Once things are settled? Time for war! Weakening your realm short term to consolidate and remain in power long term is usually always worth it. And of course if that isn't an option, there are always marriages (allies can't join factions), murder schemes, friendship, etc.

Of course if you've got 25 landed rulers with revocation causes in your prison, you've got access to a poo poo load of money now. Take the titles you want to personally hold, make sure your control and dev is high as you can get it (seneschals really help with that, as does the middle path of military), and your income should shoot up. Make sure you have a high stewardship spouse and set them to help manage your realm to max your personal holdings.

These are the times when CK3 is truly fun and challenging! Savor it! :eng101:

1) Be gay
2) Get a gay lover

1) Yes.
2) Yes. You can even gay marry them in non-achievement mode if your faith permits.
3) No. Popes are pretty much determined randomly. :(

Warmachine posted:

Is there anywhere I can see how/why someone ended up in prison? I have two dukes sitting in jail that I don't have a justification to revoke against, and I have no idea why. Anything I do is marked tyrannical, so I'm at a loss.

Sadly, no. Sometimes you can surmise if they have a criminal trait but if they don't, perhaps your previous character jailed them for a reason that wasn't public knowledge and now your new character can't act on it. If you don't have a "pardon" option available I would guess that's what it is. Not much you can do except ransom them in that situation I don't think?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

1) Be gay
2) Get a gay lover

Yes to the first two questions, "not yet" for the last one. We'll certainly get papal/cardinal election shenanigans again, but right now it's just random who becomes pope.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PancakeTransmission posted:

If you have multiple factions at once and you can't fight em all, just surrender/white peace the liberty faction - it's the lowest cost (lower Crown Authority) so you don't lose anything. Now everyone that participated can't do any factions for a while so you can stabilise.
Love that the Steam page says it releases on the 31st, but in my time zone I'm pretty sure it won't come out till 1st June :sigh:

I just had my chunk of Abyssina taken away because my dumbass liberty factions decided to start a civil war and Abbasid said now is the time. And now I don't know how to get it back because the Calliphate controls half the world.

I have had Coptic Christianity spread through Central Africa though, so yay?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nice!

quote:

Several faiths can now have the same Head of Faith:

Several Islamic faiths now share a Head of Faith at game start, temporal Islamic faiths need to decide on creation which existing caliph they'll submit to (optional for Muhakkima & Zandaqa)
Conversos, Mozarabic, Insular and Catholic all have the Pope as their Head of Faith

Added Rite tenet, allowing theocratic faiths to retain their old Head of Faith on creation if they don't differ too heavily from their mother faith

This may be my favorite part of this expansion. I've always liked the Catholic gameplay from a political/intrigue perspective but I feel so scummy playing as one. This should let me make a splinter faith that still gets recognized by the pope and doesn't get crusaded (right?) letting me still play as a part of political Europe but with tenets I actually like. Nice!

quote:

Historical artifacts no longer iterate through every ruler in the game on start 20+ times, Excalibur(s) can now spawn in a much broader range of Western Europe, simply preferring Arthurian heartlands, Norse paganism can now actually spawn its magical branch artifacts

Hopefully this lessens artifact spam, while increasing junk Excalibur spam, which is one of my favorite memes.

quote:

Gave Haesteinn the existing learning lifestyle health buffs & reduced his base health to match the extra health gained, *then* shaved off a little more, hopefully making him a bit less likely to consistently live to over 100
Characters will now evaluate their friendship with opponent when answering a call to war from an ally

Told Haesteinn to chill about invading kingdoms that cannot possibly outlast his death (looking at you, Viking East Francia), *unless* Vikings are set to Apocalyptic, in which case he'll only attack at least kingdom-tier realms

Good. Very bored of 'where will Haesteinn decide to be the eternal lich king of' being the largest determining factor of early game politics in western europe. My least favorite meme.

quote:

Islamic, Jewish, & Christian Syncretism tenets now allow the syncretising faith to use artifacts from the religion they're syncretizing with at full benefit

Let me use pagan artifacts with folk syncretism you cowards!!!! Eh, would probably be way too op. Let me pick one and use just theirs you cowards!!

quote:

Added Purchase Truce interaction, accessible via the Defensive Measures perk or being in a Struggle

oooooh. Interesting.

quote:

The AI can now properly select the Council task “Develop Country” task from the Steward

But will they though?

quote:

Many of you have requested a way to buy the collection of Garments of the Holy Roman Empire, so we have decided to make it available from today to all players for free. This is a collection of outfits for commoners, warriors and rulers of Central Europe, for your full HRE immersion.

Nice!!!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Quick question here:

As an Isma’ili Caliph, my best candidate to be the new Grand Ayatollah is my player heir, and who I do want to inherit the Caliphate when I pass. If I make him my Grand Ayatollah, will that disinherit him from the Caliphate? He’s already an Emir and well liked by the realm and if I he could have a spell as the Ayatollah before taking over as head of faith that would be nice.

This is an Ironman playthrough so I don’t want to be impatient.

e: I mean, just look at this difficult decision.

and my current player character, quite possibly the best I've ever had without any special traits.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 31, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Huge nerf to Haesteinn, but definitely justified. He'll still be a fun start for those that want it, but I'll continue to prefer Dyre for my Norse migration shenanigans.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

Quick question here:

As an Isma’ili Caliph, my best candidate to be the new Grand Ayatollah is my player heir, and who I do want to inherit the Caliphate when I pass. If I make him my Grand Ayatollah, will that disinherit him from the Caliphate? He’s already an Emir and well liked by the realm and if I he could have a spell as the Ayatollah before taking over as head of faith that would be nice.

This is an Ironman playthrough so I don’t want to be impatient.

If your faith is Theocratic then I believe the answer is yes. Once you appoint someone your court religious advisor they become the theocratic ruler of your religious holdings, making them ineligible under succession. I think. I'm not sure how already being a landed ruler interacts with this, but I believe they become theocratic and get kicked out of the line.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

SlothBear posted:

If your faith is Theocratic then I believe the answer is yes. Once you appoint someone your court religious advisor they become the theocratic ruler of your religious holdings, making them ineligible under succession. I think. I'm not sure how already being a landed ruler interacts with this, but I believe they become theocratic and get kicked out of the line.

Isma'ili is lay clergy, not theocratic. My Ayatollahs have all been Emirs of the realm, but none have ever been my heir. I'm so absolutely nervous about it I'm going to duplicate the save just in case. Everything checks out but this current game is so incredible I don't want to ruin it by disinheriting the good heir. All the other sons are disinherited so if I lost this son to the Ayatollah title, that would be Okay.

I started as the Emir of Palestine 1066, and have turned the Fatimids into a powerhouse, and Isma'ili has nearly overtaken Ashari in the Middle East. I think I'll be able to make a run at either the Italian Catholics or the Byzantines.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Ismailism has Lay Clergy, not Theocratic, so I think (but cannot confirm) that clerical appointments don't disinherit - but since Blimpkin has an ironman game and Chaplain appointments are for life in that faith, it isn't easy to test.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Narrative-wise I should go ahead and make him the Ayatollah and possibly disinherit him because after 5 generations of first born sons being named Abu Mansur, my heir named his first born Jalaaladdin like an absolute jabroni.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

drat, even with wiping my cache and disabling all mods, the game crashes on startup with the new patch. It crashes so hard that it even kills Steam and I have to actually launch Steam again.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

Isma'ili is lay clergy, not theocratic. My Ayatollahs have all been Emirs of the realm, but none have ever been my heir. I'm so absolutely nervous about it I'm going to duplicate the save just in case. Everything checks out but this current game is so incredible I don't want to ruin it by disinheriting the good heir. All the other sons are disinherited so if I lost this son to the Ayatollah title, that would be Okay.

I started as the Emir of Palestine 1066, and have turned the Fatimids into a powerhouse, and Isma'ili has nearly overtaken Ashari in the Middle East. I think I'll be able to make a run at either the Italian Catholics or the Byzantines.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Ismailism has Lay Clergy, not Theocratic, so I think (but cannot confirm) that clerical appointments don't disinherit - but since Blimpkin has an ironman game and Chaplain appointments are for life in that faith, it isn't easy to test.

Yeah I wouldn't risk a save like that on it either haha. Not when you have a 36 learning vassal you could just slot in there instead. But if you do test it out let us know!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
He remains my heir as Grand Ayatollah. drat, he really owns.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

binge crotching posted:

drat, even with wiping my cache and disabling all mods, the game crashes on startup with the new patch. It crashes so hard that it even kills Steam and I have to actually launch Steam again.

Try deleting/moving your old save games. I noticed that when I shut the game off I get a huge error log that spews out errors from old savegames. I am guessing that it loads the list for some reason and it is causing errors.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The new dynasty legacy "Metropolitan" really focuses on the development of cities. It has a capstone that lets you just add new building slots onto cities. There's no analogous ability for castles or temples. If cities are good, it would make this dynasty tree pretty good too!

...but I don't know if cities are good. I tend to think they aren't. Thoughts?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You can't directly control cities but they make tons of money.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dorkopotamis posted:

The new dynasty legacy "Metropolitan" really focuses on the development of cities. It has a capstone that lets you just add new building slots onto cities. There's no analogous ability for castles or temples. If cities are good, it would make this dynasty tree pretty good too!

...but I don't know if cities are good. I tend to think they aren't. Thoughts?

Depends on your playstyle, if you control a small realm with a lot of cities, you can get absurd amounts of development. And if your realm makes up 100% of your culture, that can really fuel your innovations gain. All that together can enable you to punch far above your weight.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Metropolitan Venice you say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Tankbuster posted:

Metropolitan Venice you say.

Venice's only holding appears to be a castle.

WHILE I'M HERE: What's the current non-exploity way for generating renown? My instinct is mystical ancestors or castle keepers, but I've already played quite a bit with reach and am looking for something new.