Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Lone Goat posted:

Sure, don't call it a gift though. If you make dinner and I bring a dessert I'm not calling it a gift when the expectation is we're going to share it with the meal. Why is a drink any different?

If it's actually a gift, then the gift receiver can do whatever they want with it. If the gift giver expects to share it with the other person, then they should say so, and not be a fuckin weirdo

obviously it is just another social etiquette thing. No one brings along some weed or a bottle and says "I am herby gifting you this" or generally not stating "this is not a gift" although people do sometimes take a bottle and a couple of tumblers I guess. My bro is always taking along physical gifts as well; golf balls from St Andrews, official registered tartan, toys for the kids, that sort of thing, that never stopped.

If you bring along a desert and they bring out a different one after the mains are finished with no mention of the one you brought, do you complain like you are at a restaurant? You probably don't care enough to ask for it specifically and for a lot of people/cultures, you never complain about what is served up by a host. Go along to get along but feel a bit disappointed you don't get a go at that Mississippi mud cake made with fuggin flash single source chocolate and probably don't bother next time or get something different - maybe they are allergic to chocolate?

It is low stakes, it's not a big deal whether bro-in-law gets some single malt whisky or not. I just always open up the bottle if someone brings something nice along or save it for when they are around another time if the timing was not good immediately.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for ordering extra spicy food and embarrassing a date?

I love me some spicy food and come off a chili farm but people get themselves in way too deep way too often, I nearly always err on the side of ordering too mild for my taste but better that than going for hero points and not enjoying your meal. It's been a couple of times I have swapped my "medium" for someone else' "spicy" because they couldn't eat their own order. Interesting on the "white people spicy" Chinese though, I found West African and Portuguese spicy to be hotter than Chinese food I have had so maybe I have only had dilute strength Chinese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's a weird thing with spicy food and serving food temp that I noticed when eating some type of hot-pot for the first time with some Vietnamese friends. It's a place where they put a grease burner under your soup bowl so the soup is constantly boiling while you eat it. I absolutely could not handle that for more then ~20 mins and asked the waiter to put the flame out, while my friends had no issue, but then they thought it was spicy when I didn't.

Same friends I've been out with other times, and they really don't like classic 'American' style spicy food like hot chicken and think it's too much, but then eating a traditional thai/viet meal with different types of spiciness rather then drenched in chili powder they do much better with it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Remulak posted:

I love spicy food but would never order it on a date. I’d worry my nose would run.

What if you're a weirdo who wants to make a good impression on your date by demonstrating your *checks notes* spice tolerance?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

she's Asian, making a fool of myself will surely impress her

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

teen witch posted:

Fenris was my beef thief.

She was relentless when it came to beef, like she’d look me dead in the eye and try and take a chomp out of a brisket.

Sneak some scraps to your furry loved ones. My other four are being spoiled as they miss her as much as we all do. Mourning sucks.

May her memory be a blessing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What if you're a weirdo who wants to make a good impression on your date by demonstrating your *checks notes* spice tolerance?

To be fair have you seen goons talk about how much they like spicy stuff?

It might legit be a turn on

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

pentyne posted:

There's a weird thing with spicy food and serving food temp that I noticed when eating some type of hot-pot for the first time with some Vietnamese friends. It's a place where they put a grease burner under your soup bowl so the soup is constantly boiling while you eat it. I absolutely could not handle that for more then ~20 mins and asked the waiter to put the flame out, while my friends had no issue, but then they thought it was spicy when I didn't.

Same friends I've been out with other times, and they really don't like classic 'American' style spicy food like hot chicken and think it's too much, but then eating a traditional thai/viet meal with different types of spiciness rather then drenched in chili powder they do much better with it.

Who in the blueballed gently caress can eat boiling liquid? :psyduck:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just like enjoying my food. It's not a challenge (outside of just trying unfamiliar things to see if I like them).

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

pentyne posted:

There's a weird thing with spicy food and serving food temp that I noticed when eating some type of hot-pot for the first time with some Vietnamese friends.

Spicy food served very hot is definitely a bigger challenge, especially hot soups that cling to your tongue to really let the spice linger and settle in.

But some of the best flavours are hidden behind the spice, so we endure.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just like enjoying my food. It's not a challenge (outside of just trying unfamiliar things to see if I like them).

You're never going to win the hot dog eating contest with that attitude.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

D34THROW posted:

With hotpot, you generally are not eating the broth (which is kept at a gentle boil, in my experience, not a full on rolling boil) until the meal is done, and the heat is turned off. It's instead used to cook other raw ingredients.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

D34THROW posted:

You're supposed to let the soup cool down in your own bowl first before you actually consume it. The soup is kept simmering in the central hot pot so you can add meats and vegetables into the pot throughout the meal.

Most hot pot places have a big communal pot for the whole table, although there are some places where every individual gets their own pot.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

if someone kept a gift I gave them all to themselves and didn't try to palm it off on other people, I would assume that they really like the gift and would like more, rather than the exact opposite

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

With hotpot, you generally are not eating the broth (which is kept at a gentle boil, in my experience, not a full on rolling boil) until the meal is done, and the heat is turned off. It's instead used to cook other raw ingredients.

Sort of, but it was personal hot pots like big soup bowls in front of you

The metal box is where they put those catering burners under it to keep it hot.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I love me some spicy food and come off a chili farm but people get themselves in way too deep way too often, I nearly always err on the side of ordering too mild for my taste but better that than going for hero points and not enjoying your meal. It's been a couple of times I have swapped my "medium" for someone else' "spicy" because they couldn't eat their own order. Interesting on the "white people spicy" Chinese though, I found West African and Portuguese spicy to be hotter than Chinese food I have had so maybe I have only had dilute strength Chinese?
:eng101: this is fairly regional, but I very, very rarely see chinese cuisine from the other spicy eating regions of china outside of well, china. Sichuan food has total dominance and honestly generally it's not considered that spicy in comparison. Sichuan food uses a fusion of the numbing and heat spice, and adding a ton of raw heat spicy is actually usually considered the result of a fusion with Hunan cuisine!

Anyway I really miss spicy food oh my god where do I find some someone send help

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

D34THROW posted:

Sorry, but now I'm laughing at someone repeatedly burning their tongue on boiling soup instead of trying to blow on it or something, like that dude who had to psych himself up for the pain every time he took a pizza out of the oven with his bare hands.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Xun posted:

:eng101: this is fairly regional, but I very, very rarely see chinese cuisine from the other spicy eating regions of china outside of well, china. Sichuan food has total dominance and well honestly, it's not that spicy in comparison. Sichuan food uses the numbing spicy much more, and adding a ton of raw heat spicy is actually usually considered the result of a fusion with Hunan cuisine!

Anyway I really miss spicy food oh my god where do I find some someone send help

Theres a west African spot that sells this nice but lethal sauce. Like, I can only do a pinky nails worth of it per dish and it works nicely with a lot but I’ll be buried with half the jar still remaining.

The lady who sold it to me warned me and I’m like “Oh you don’t need to do the Swedish spicy warning, I’ve got it” and serves me right for misjudging elders.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think this got passed over but JFC.

Some years ago, an ex-friend of mine had a horrible family tragedy, where her sister's boyfriend was shot and killed (and two of her sisters were shot as well. The rear end in a top hat left their party, came back with a gun, and had the three cornered in a bathroom.). Shortly after that, sister found out she was pregnant. And her mom flipped out, screaming how she couldn't abort the baby, it was all they had left of boyfriend, and it was about time someone had a new baby in the house (seeing as mom had had 5 kids and the youngest was 10), so the sister never had a chance to even think of options, it was all You Will Have Baby.

The opposite here, wtf.

AITA for no longer being attracted to my wife?

no but your an rear end in a top hat for being in the closet and marrying some lady to hide.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

teen witch posted:

...Swedish spicy warning...

I imagine this is on cans of Surströmming

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

teen witch posted:

Theres a west African spot that sells this nice but lethal sauce. Like, I can only do a pinky nails worth of it per dish and it works nicely with a lot but I’ll be buried with half the jar still remaining.

The lady who sold it to me warned me and I’m like “Oh you don’t need to do the Swedish spicy warning, I’ve got it” and serves me right for misjudging elders.

I'm going into battle to dinner and I need your strongest potions hot sauce.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

snergle posted:

no but your an rear end in a top hat for being in the closet and marrying some lady to hide.

Pull back before that reach of yours strains something.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

snergle posted:

is this ghost av guy on an alt lmao

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

snergle posted:

you're right. What RED-BLOODED MAAAN wouldn't want their woman to have big tits and a big rear end?!?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Liking tomboy girls makes you gay? This is very concerning.....

Wait, does that mean lesbians that like butch girls are staright?

What about gay guys that like feminine men?

*grumbling* guess its time to update the "Rules of Attraction", such a pain in the rear end.....

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

teen witch posted:

It is often difficult to determine when elders are saying dumb Boomer poo poo and when they're imparting sage wisdom.

I used to have a tiny bottle of pure capsaicin extract. It tasted exactly like pepper spray and was more useful as a topical pain reliever than as a food additive.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All bodies are beautiful!

IF UR FUCKEN GAY!!!1

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

limp_cheese posted:

Liking tomboy girls makes you gay? This is very concerning.....

Wait, does that mean lesbians that like butch girls are staright?

What about gay guys that like feminine men?

*grumbling* guess its time to update the "Rules of Attraction", such a pain in the rear end.....

You have to make a book like the race book the French tried to make before Haiti revolted

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sorry, but now I'm laughing at someone repeatedly burning their tongue on boiling soup instead of trying to blow on it or something, like that dude who had to psych himself up for the pain every time he took a pizza out of the oven with his bare hands.

There's a whole routine on how to eat it, but the appeal is defiantely that for the meat and vegetables you eat them very quickly before they appreciably cool down. There's a bowl of rice you mix with the food and soup too.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
yeah man if you have any standards other than "able to fog a mirror" you're totally gay. just accept it. now come home with me and ill show you how we get down.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

yeah man if you have any standards other than "able to fog a mirror" you're totally gay. just accept it. now come home with me and ill show you how we get down.
What if I'm not actually gay and I just think I'm gay??

Edit: my boyfriend also thinks I'm gay.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is often difficult to determine when elders are saying dumb Boomer poo poo and when they're imparting sage wisdom.

My favorite part about this is you can't really know until you, yourself, are old, what advice is actually good and what isn't

So it's kinda fuckin' useless but it's nice that old folks try to save people time! Unfortunately nothing matters until you experience it yourself.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You can't call yourself gay until you've finished the written test and gotten your card in the mail

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yeah but he doesn't have a great track record

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Classic gaslighting. :sever:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It depends entirely on which ear you have pierced and wear a stud earring in.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Left ear you're straight, right ear you're gay, both ears you molest collies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People who eat spicy food they hate because it makes them feel macho or whatever are similar to folks who will drink alcohol they don't actually like the taste of for similar reasons. Please, I'm begging you, if you think a drink is so gross and icky that you have to drink it as a "shot" and then quickly lick something to get the icky yucky taste out of your mouth just drink something you like instead? And leave the stuff you don't like to people who will actually enjoy the taste?

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Baronjutter posted:

People who eat spicy food they hate because it makes them feel macho or whatever are similar to folks who will drink alcohol they don't actually like the taste of for similar reasons. Please, I'm begging you, if you think a drink is so gross and icky that you have to drink it as a "shot" and then quickly lick something to get the icky yucky taste out of your mouth just drink something you like instead? And leave the stuff you don't like to people who will actually enjoy the taste?

at least with shots there's an endgame, with spicy food it's just the toilet

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Left ear you're straight, right ear you're gay

Holy poo poo I had forgotten about this until just now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TwoHeadedDeer posted: