Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I dunno how to feel about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Better make sure we let thirsty nerds know there'll be hints of almost nude children in the show. Wanna capture that anime demographic.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hate it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

This new season of Love, Death, and Robots felt much stronger than the last. I really enjoyed the first short and “Night of the Mini-Dead” was pretty drat funny in a ridiculous way.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LD&R S1 was coolest thing I watched that year and the discussion it sparked were amazing, S2 landed with such a wet fart I never even bothered to watch it. So glad it’s a return to form!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I wouldn’t call it as strong as S1 was but it definitely clears the (admittedly really low) bar of quality S2 had.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Watched the first two episodes. Bad Travelling is right up there with just about any season one episode.

Dread sea monsters and hard men making hard decisions. Inject that poo poo directly into my veins.

Almost as good as the season 1 episode about Russians fighting ghouls during WWII.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Helluva Boss animators have been going HARD on the horny posting lately

https://twitter.com/danidraws666/status/1530741553878138882?s=21&t=h9EiSzs8tjCwAFGdk9JUcg

I swear there’s like 5 of them and all they do is tweet stuff about their characters loving and sucking and pissing on each other all goddamn day, I don’t even watch the show but I am fascinated by them like some kind of cutesey demonic car accident. It’s also really cool to see the fan art community and the animators for the show seemingly being in step with each other and just constantly passing back and forth sketches and fan comics and offering help/tips/advice/direction. They are perverts and proud of it, but they also genuinely love the show and their fans, so what can you really say? It’s 100% not for kids so no harm no foul, right?Someday I’ll just plop down and binge this show but until then, please shine on you crazy Diamond!

Also, like, I can’t even picture what an L cup would be in my head.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 29, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is that one of the animators? Their profile says they're "working on content for the HB fandom".

Also their pinned tweet is just straight up buttholes and vag, so maybe don't click through to check unless you really want to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was posting that the lead animator is going back and forth with other fan artists in the comments and giving advice and support, just something I really am not used to seeing from literally any western animators ever, wanted to highlight how good it is, inspite of being so silly and so relentlessly horny

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bust Rodd posted:

I was posting that the lead animator is going back and forth with other fan artists in the comments and giving advice and support, just something I really am not used to seeing from literally any western animators ever, wanted to highlight how good it is, inspite of being so silly and so relentlessly horny

I've seen it before just usually in harder to trace ways, like between about 2009 to around 2015 or 2016 you'd occasionally see various people in the animation industry pop up here and there on 4chan's /co/* board to talk about their shows both active and in development(knew about both Mighty Magiswords and OK KO as concepts for years prior to either becoming actual shows or even pilots), or even to just shoot the poo poo or draw stuff for people, like Fionna & Cake was essentially born on /co/ at least a solid year or two before they first showed up in Adventure Time in threads visited by Pen Ward, Natasha Allegri, and Rebecca Sugar, and similarly I've seen Ian JQ show up to do some art requests(though that last one was all the way back in early 2014)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
All animators are horny as hell. My other half knows a couple and they’ve both confirmed animation teams are all aware of the horny posting about their characters, they will also draw it themselves, and having collections of it up in their offices isn’t unheard of.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL I got as far as typing “Bojack Horseman fan art” into my Google search bar and then realized what I might find there and chickened out, but I’m sure Lisa Hanawalt is in on this poo poo too!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's weird is how openly horny they are. Like normally there's some amount of natural social barrier keeping the horny from flowing wild and free.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's weird is how openly horny they are. Like normally there's some amount of natural social barrier keeping the horny from flowing wild and free.

It's probably the barrier (or lack thereof) of having any sort of sponsors. Animators are kind of generally, nay, notoriously horny but usually there's a Disney/Cartoon Network/HBO/[insert corporation here] to answer to that keep them in some kind of line. But the HB folks just have their online fans and they're clearly Loving This poo poo™ so why tone it down?

Also I think there's probably something to be said about the greater impact Twitter and other social media has had on our society in general. Where like, there's a lot of poo poo people post online that they'd never dare say to anyone's actual face. You can be as horned up as you want online because odds are, you're never gonna run into anyone in the real world who's gonna go "Jesus, take it down a notch"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 29, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It makes me not want to ever watch the weird internet pervert cartoon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Helluva Boss is good.

Also embrace being horny on main

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Horny internet artist: famous for following character guidelines

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This madwoman is taking Seinfeld clips and painstakingly recreating them in a Don Bluth style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFJ8rxlDRmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X54RaHAv6cA

They aren't fully animated but it's still an absurd level of effort.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 30, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I've seen those! I love how expressive they are and it melds so well with the dialogue

An amazing comment on one of the videos

quote:

I like the implications of the taxonomy of the species.

George, a corgi, is the only domesticated breed. He’s meek and soft. At the mercy of society around him. He is also a literal small dog, he is loyal and trapped in society that he relies on but that he doesn’t even have influence or power over.

Kramer is a wolf, the complete opposite. He lives about as far outside the mainstream as he can and as a result must be self reliant, but he is also confident in his weight and power and comfortable acting upon it

Elaine is a fox, she’s smaller than Kramer and wilder than George but relatively comfortable in both worlds. Like a fox that hunts and forages in cities and neighborhoods she isn’t actually confined to social norms the way George is but is more appreciative of them than Kramer is and as such able you take advantage when it suits her. Making up for her size with smarts and daring

Jerry is the only non canine of the bunch, a literal pseudo dog. As a hyena he passes for one of his peers but is internally wildly different, representing how despite viewing himself as an Everyman Jerry is actually of another world entirely, a man of the entertainment industry and rising theme, a completely different animal.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

YggiDee posted:

This madman is taking Seinfeld clips and painstakingly recreating them in a Don Bluth style

Kosperry has been doing this sort of stuff for years and is probably the best imitator of the Bluth style who isn't the man himself or worked for him, all the more impressive considering they're only 24 or so from my recollection

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Puddy as a Tiger is priceless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnG9yrV3YQ

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Isn't that the same person who has a whole series of Columbo in that same style?

e: oops my b

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 30, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Isn't that the same guy who has a whole series of Columbo in that same style?

Yup and Back To The Future as well, as well as a bunch of Mario and FNAF stuff they did

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YggiDee posted:

This madman is taking Seinfeld clips and painstakingly recreating them in a Don Bluth style

Madwoman :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Here's the link to their Twitter:

https://twitter.com/kosperry

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I wasnt sold until Tiger Puddy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So this clip has been going around twitter of Family Guy making fun of Bob's Burgers:

https://twitter.com/NoContextEnter/status/1530699648591069184

I know shows poke fun at each other all the time, and Familiy Guy has gotten Bob's VA to literally voice his appearances on the show, but Family Guy seems to have this weird bug up its rear end about Bob's Burgers specifically that ends up feeling less like friendly ribbing and more just... sour grapes.

Like when Simpsons makes a joke about Peter being like Homer, they usually package it in a way that feels like they're joking, like Peter showing up amongst all the homer clones or the plagiarismo/plagiarismo di plagiarismo joke. I would say it's the same the other way too, Family Guy has a ton of jokes about the Simpsons, and they seem generally good natured.

But whenever they make a joke about Bob's Burgers it always just kind of feels like they aren't really making a joke so much as Peter (or whoever) is looking directly at the camera and going "no I actually hate Bob's Burgers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPW118y9U00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efXqznwMdRI

Perhaps it is all just meant to be friendly ribbing but in that case Family Guy should try and restructure these to be like... jokes. The one in the plane is the only one that feels that way, and I'm pretty sure that's a shot from the crossover episode. But also Family Guy does tend to do jokes where it ends up feeling like they actually forgot to tell a joke. Also I was shocked to learn that apparently Seth Macfarlane hasn't actually worked on the show in years, outside of coming in to do the voice overs

I also learned there was a similar dig at Rick and Morty, although it's just one joke and it doesn't really make much sense to be honest (uh and also *pushes up glasses* Rick's portal gun can't time travel sooooo). And plus that portal design is extremely specific and looks like the R&M folks just gave them the animation asset to use outright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PpAqP2ocYo

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Funny, the new Bob's Burghers movie is so much better than the Simpsons movie for the same reason the show is better: they never narratively jump the shark and just keep the show as a grounded story about a charming family.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I haven't really watched Family Guy much in a long while, but when I do end up seeing some of it these days, I am struck by just how boring it is. Like there's no real emotional core to the show driving the characters forward or keeping them together. Family Guy was always heavily derivative, not even of the Simpsons specifically, but of a lot of old sitcoms. I think that seems to be one of Seth MacFarlane's things, just being really into classic TV and movies. I think you could also call a lot of the referencing derivative, sometimes the reference is just taking an old joke and putting it on display as if it now belongs to the show. There's also a lot of weirdly offensive stuff? Like a lot of jokes that seem like they're entirely just sexism or racism or weird old-timey racism that it's hard to sort.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised at the people behind that feeling really threatened by a newer show with newer sensibilities to the point that they'd call it out long after it's not even that new anymore.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

I haven't really watched Family Guy much in a long while, but when I do end up seeing some of it these days, I am struck by just how boring it is. Like there's no real emotional core to the show driving the characters forward or keeping them together. Family Guy was always heavily derivative, not even of the Simpsons specifically, but of a lot of old sitcoms. I think that seems to be one of Seth MacFarlane's things, just being really into classic TV and movies. I think you could also call a lot of the referencing derivative, sometimes the reference is just taking an old joke and putting it on display as if it now belongs to the show. There's also a lot of weirdly offensive stuff? Like a lot of jokes that seem like they're entirely just sexism or racism or weird old-timey racism that it's hard to sort.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised at the people behind that feeling really threatened by a newer show with newer sensibilities to the point that they'd call it out long after it's not even that new anymore.

FWIW he hasn't written Family Guy for some time now, not sure how long but he's content to mostly just show up as another VA as a combination paycheck and continuing fan service.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jack B Nimble posted:

FWIW he hasn't written Family Guy for some time now, not sure how long but he's content to mostly just show up as another VA as a combination paycheck and continuing fan service.

There's likely some big contract keeping him tied and leaving would likely mean a lot of other people would possibly be out of jobs. It's very hard to walk away from a show like that. It's also very hard to distance yourself because you don't want to seem like you are only working on it simply to keep other people getting pay checks and it only takes a few weeks a year to get all your lines. Reading between the lines I wouldn't be shocked if he just wanted to be done with Family Guy now that he has more interesting projects. It did what it had to do, get him a job when edge lord comedy was the only game.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/variety/status/1531688475090726913?s=21&t=UXDi1feth_UhysMoNCTtvQ

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Man that blows. Guess you can't make the mouse budge. Also what a suprise Family Guy being petty/mean and has yet to change. They did that with Bojack Horseman as well.

Also yeah that is the reason I love Bob's Burgers. It's very much the successor to Simpsons, the family very much loves each other. Bob never gets to jerk rear end level like Homer does.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 31, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I haven't watched all of the clips but isn't Family Guy pissed that Bob's Burgers won an Emmy and they can't, despite some REALLY transparent attempts?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Macaluso posted:

So this clip has been going around twitter of Family Guy making fun of Bob's Burgers:

https://twitter.com/NoContextEnter/status/1530699648591069184

I know shows poke fun at each other all the time, and Familiy Guy has gotten Bob's VA to literally voice his appearances on the show, but Family Guy seems to have this weird bug up its rear end about Bob's Burgers specifically that ends up feeling less like friendly ribbing and more just... sour grapes.

Like when Simpsons makes a joke about Peter being like Homer, they usually package it in a way that feels like they're joking, like Peter showing up amongst all the homer clones or the plagiarismo/plagiarismo di plagiarismo joke. I would say it's the same the other way too, Family Guy has a ton of jokes about the Simpsons, and they seem generally good natured.

But whenever they make a joke about Bob's Burgers it always just kind of feels like they aren't really making a joke so much as Peter (or whoever) is looking directly at the camera and going "no I actually hate Bob's Burgers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPW118y9U00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efXqznwMdRI

Perhaps it is all just meant to be friendly ribbing but in that case Family Guy should try and restructure these to be like... jokes. The one in the plane is the only one that feels that way, and I'm pretty sure that's a shot from the crossover episode. But also Family Guy does tend to do jokes where it ends up feeling like they actually forgot to tell a joke. Also I was shocked to learn that apparently Seth Macfarlane hasn't actually worked on the show in years, outside of coming in to do the voice overs

I also learned there was a similar dig at Rick and Morty, although it's just one joke and it doesn't really make much sense to be honest (uh and also *pushes up glasses* Rick's portal gun can't time travel sooooo). And plus that portal design is extremely specific and looks like the R&M folks just gave them the animation asset to use outright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PpAqP2ocYo

Reminds me of the similarly hostile and mean cracks they used to occasionally make towards Robot Chicken even though it's created by one of their main VA's

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me of the similarly hostile and mean cracks they used to occasionally make towards Robot Chicken even though it's created by one of their main VA's

Also MacFarlane regularly provided VA for it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Macaluso posted:

I dunno if Quagmire sexually assaulting Marge and then murdering the entire Simpson family could really be called 'good-natured' but that's just me.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Family Guy has a ton of jokes about the Simpsons, and they seem generally good natured.

FG did a bit where Quagmire raped Marge and she liked it. Then he shot the rest of the family to death, baby included. No punchline, it just happened.

Edit: well hey there you go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Gonna be real, I did forget that happened.