Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Did Hogan and Typhoon interact? I don't remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Did Hogan and Typhoon interact? I don't remember that.

He was Hogan's pal Tugboat before that. Unless there's a joke I'm missing.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

He was Hogan's pal Tugboat before that. Unless there's a joke I'm missing.

Right, but he turned on The Bushwhackers, not on Hogan.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Right, but he turned on The Bushwhackers, not on Hogan.

Ah right I get what you're saying. I think I remember them teasing a turn on Hogan at the very least and someone smart realized that would be a poo poo feud.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

For some reason I also thought ol Tugger turned on Hulk

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

CarlCX posted:

He's maybe the single greatest possible encapsulation of the way America saw itself in the 1980s, which made him an absolutely perfect fit for that specific and completely-lacking-in-self-awareness era, and the moment it was over it aged exactly as well as the rest of 1980s America did.

You can see glimpses of it in John Cena's run with Zach Ryder and Ryback. Because the problem is that Vince McMahon doesn't think that faces need friends and probably doesn't know what being a good friend entails anyway.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shard posted:

Got a bunch of heel related questions

Who's character improved the most from a heel turn?
The Rock. His heel turn was the crucial first step that caused him to go from being the ahem rock bottom of the wrestling world in terms of popularity to being one of the most popular people in the entire world. I don't think it's actually possible to benefit from a heel turn than The Rock did.

Who's character had the best reason to turn heel? Again. The Rock. The crowds were chanting for his death. gently caress them.

What is the earliest heel turn you can think of? My knowledge of this drops off sharply anytime before the 80s.
My earliest wrestling memory is Andre turning on Hulk. I know I was watching wrestling well before this but I don't have any real memories of that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Now for the face side of things. Same questions but change alignment

Who's character improved the most from a face turn?
Mankind. His double turn with the Rock at Survivor Series 98 was amazing and it made his character go from interesting to iconic I feel. When people think of Mankind they usually think of face turn Mankind

Who's character had the best reason to turn face?
Kenny Omega in NJPW - His turn when the Bullet Club turned on him only to be saved by long time partner Kota was so amazing. They shot confetti out of the ring posts just to celebrate it!

What is the earliest face turn you can think of?
Probably Macho Man when he became champ which lead into the Mega Powers

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm pretty sure the first wrestling related thing I ever saw was my parents flipping channels and landing on the Mega Powers breakup with Elizabeth eating poo poo on the outside of the ring, so that was the first heel turn too

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Nystral posted:

Shawn Michaels turning from A Rocker into HBK.

The first one i remember personally was andre turning on hogan but hbk and janetty is probably the single best example of a heel turn making someone's career.

I think the Sergeant Slaughter, Iraqi sympathizer angle deserves a mention though because it was unimaginable to me as a little kid that the best gi joe could turn on his country

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Blue Blazer vs Mister Perfect was a good lead up to Bret vs Perfect. This was before you knew that Blazer was Owen, so it’s a fun one to look back on.

EDIT: Rockers breaking up is the greatest heel turn, and it’s a testament to Shawn’s charisma that he could pull off such a dastardly heel turn, and later become the top baby face of the company. And I was a Marty kid when the Rockers were together.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 31, 2022

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Mr Perfect turning face on Ric Flair was pretty good. I remember reading an effort post on these forums a few years ago describing it really well.

Batista's face turn was highly anticipated and executed perfectly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

For some reason I also thought ol Tugger turned on Hulk

That was the original plan I think. Give us Sheik Tugboat and main event Wrestlemania VII but they decided Slaughter was better for it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

That was the original plan I think. Give us Sheik Tugboat and main event Wrestlemania VII but they decided Slaughter was better for it.

I honestly couldn't tell you which of those two I'd personally choose. We know Slaughter sucked but I can't imagine Tugboat being much better.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TheKingslayer posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you which of those two I'd personally choose. We know Slaughter sucked but I can't imagine Tugboat being much better.

You never know, the answer may shock you.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

When was the last effective double turn?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Manwithastick posted:

When was the last effective double turn?

Ziggler and Del Rio? Maybe? Thqt seemed somewhat effective

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The first heel turn I can personally remember is Undertaker turning heel in 1998. I watched wrestling before that it's just hard to remember a specific one that stuck out to me.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The first heel turn I can personally remember is Undertaker turning heel in 1998. I watched wrestling before that it's just hard to remember a specific one that stuck out to me.

It wasn't when he admitted to burning his brother alive. That was just character work. I think it was when he shaved his moustache off. That made him evil

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think he didn't turn heel till he joined the Corporation right? The corporate ministry is such a stupid name.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The Corporate Ministry might be a stupid name but Jake Roberts will turn it around when he's unveiled as the higher power.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

aw sonovabitch

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

My favorite silly idea bandied around back then was the Higher Power uncloaking as Brian Pillman. "SMAAAAAART MAAAAAARKS"

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The Corporate Ministry might be a stupid name but Jake Roberts will turn it around when he's unveiled as the higher power.

more or less the same as the mchmahon version reality but he flashes Austin his moobs the week before instead of his face

bartok
May 10, 2006

Was there a reason why Hogan would do heel moves like back rakes and eye pokes as a babyface?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

bartok posted:

Was there a reason why Hogan would do heel moves like back rakes and eye pokes as a babyface?

Ring pyschology is made up and you can just sort of do whatever, it doesn't matter really

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Do CM Punk and Eddie Kingston have legit personal beef, or do they just like to bust each other's chops?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

bartok posted:

He had to get in his grandstanding and hot dogging

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

IN THE MOVIES, the baby-face often wins via cheating or outside interference and it doesn't matter. People want their favourites to win

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bartok posted:

Those were moves the heels would always do to the babyfaces, so it was fun to watch them complain to the ref and nothing being done about it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Whats the quickest alignment flip that doesn't belong to Big Show? Who if I remember right, was a heel, went face, then went back heel in the span of a show?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 31, 2022

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Roddy Piper saves Ric Flair at the Royal Rumble

Bobby Heenan: Piper I take back everything I said about you. It isn't a skirt, it's a kilt!

Roddy Piper attacks Flair

Bobby Heenan: You skirt wearing freak!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

Tugboat was probably way more mobile than Slaughter by that point at least

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

NutShellBill posted:

Do CM Punk and Eddie Kingston have legit personal beef, or do they just like to bust each other's chops?

As far as I've ever guessed, it's both. There is legit beef there, but they're also extremely dedicated professionals about their promos.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pass. Nothing leaps out off the top of my head

Who's character had the best reason to turn face?
2006 Homicide. Up to that point he'd been the "thug" with bloody brawls with Steve Corino & pouring draino down Colt Cabana's throat. He was wild as hell but in 2006 CZW invaded ROH, culminating in Homicide running in to replace the dastardly Bryan Danielson who backed on ROH during.the Cage of Death feud ender. From that point Homicide spent the next 6 months as one of the hottest babyface chasing the champion I've seen, all the while Jim Cornette & his lackies tried to stop him.

What is the earliest face turn you can think of?
Andre turning face at WM6 after slapping Bobby Heenan out of his shoes is the first that springs to mind

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Defenestrategy posted:

Whats the quickest alignment flip that doesn't belong to Big Show? Who if I remember right, was a heel, went face, then went back heel in the span of a show?

Chyna at WM 14 was heel in the corporation and accompanied Kane to face HHH, she turned on Kane to help HHh and turned face, then later on HHH (with chyna) turned heel and joined the corporation

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

forkboy84 posted:

Pass. Nothing leaps out off the top of my head

Dusty Rhodes
Hulk Hogan
Steve Austin

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I will never forget having Colt Cabana hyped up to me as hilarious and my first time seeing him being the Chicago Ring of Honor blowoff match against Homicide

"He's like the funniest indy guy!" *murders a man*

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

It has to be someone in Russo era WCW turning multiple times over the course of a segment. I have no idea if this has happened but I'm almost certain it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dr. Quarex posted:

I will never forget having Colt Cabana hyped up to me as hilarious and my first time seeing him being the Chicago Ring of Honor blowoff match against Homicide

"He's like the funniest indy guy!" *murders a man*

Was that the cage match? My memory is hazy but I remember seeing Homicide in a cage match at an ROH show and I'm pretty sure it was the blowoff to a feud