Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i get that but it still annoys me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've been rewatching 00 and for all the poo poo S2 gets, it is scary how the cartoonish evil of the A-Laws has become more believable and less cartoonish over the years in my eyes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah, I see it's Roux's turn now to desert into the desert

E: Can I be honest and say I liked ZZ better when it was a goofy comedy? It feels a bit more unfocused now.

I hope you enjoyed everyone's 80s-as-gently caress fashion sense from the desert arc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Argas posted:

I've been rewatching 00 and for all the poo poo S2 gets, it is scary how the cartoonish evil of the A-Laws has become more believable and less cartoonish over the years in my eyes.

Yeah the grim truth of reality in the last few years has made me mentally revise the phrase "cartoonishly evil".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't know how much of this is ZZ itself and how much of it is my attention span, but it sure does seem like characters just kinda drift in and out of the story with no real fanfare. Like, it took me a while to realize Chara was gone and until she appeared in this preview, I wasn't sure if she had died or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argas posted:

I've said it before but it turns out Blue Cosmos is the most believable villain faction in Gundam.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean listen, what's Sunrise's two biggest franchises? It's Gundams and it's Love Lives. What do ya get when you put 'em together? Well, I guess that's just Macross, so they should make one that's a Macross.

No thanks. 00 encroached on Macross territory and as such firmly belongs in the "don't try it again" territory for me.

Just leave the aliens and robots to other franchises.

ImpAtom posted:

I've said it before but it turns out Blue Cosmos is the most believable villain faction in Gundam.

It is sad to realize what was once caricature is just history repeating itself in preview.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Notorious ZSB posted:

No thanks. 00 encroached on Macross territory and as such firmly belongs in the "don't try it again" territory for me.

Just leave the aliens and robots to other franchises.

While I almost completely agree that I'd prefer aliens to be left to other franchises, the 00 movie is extremely not Macross-y beyond the incredibly rough sketch outline of "there are aliens and the answer is to communicate with them in some way".

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
MAcross has a message of "The horribleness of the idol industry including all the abuse and harassment and commodification of Idols is good actually" and I Don't think 00 had that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No it doesn't

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, the IBO mobile game was delayed again.

On the upside, they confirmed that the video shorts in the app would include scenes of the main IBO cast throughout the show.

It even has a shot of the Bearded Gentleman in a Gjallarhorn uniform.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fivemarks posted:

MAcross has a message of "The horribleness of the idol industry including all the abuse and harassment and commodification of Idols is good actually" and I Don't think 00 had that.

I don't remember that from any of the Macross shows I've seen. Is it in Macross 2?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I hope fivemarks comes back to substantiate that statement, as someone who has never seen macross I'm definitely interested in hearing where that kind of criticism comes from

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's just the general shallow "anything with idols that doesn't directly condemn the worst aspects of the industry is condoning all that"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I hope fivemarks comes back to substantiate that statement, as someone who has never seen macross I'm definitely interested in hearing where that kind of criticism comes from

straight out of the rear end

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Kanos posted:

While I almost completely agree that I'd prefer aliens to be left to other franchises, the 00 movie is extremely not Macross-y beyond the incredibly rough sketch outline of "there are aliens and the answer is to communicate with them in some way".

It flew too close to the sun for my tastes (basically thinking about the Sun was too close for this franchise imo), just keep Gundams away from aliens. It's a bridge too far for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Macross's core theme is that music transcends cultural, emotional and physical boundaries and transforming jets that shoot a lot of missiles are really really cool.

You can poo poo on the idol industry for several very valid reasons but macross having heroic idol singers is less a commentary on the idol culture being good actually and is more about music itself being a universal language and how you can explore that concept as a means to unite or divide.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

So, the IBO mobile game was delayed again.

On the upside, they confirmed that the video shorts in the app would include scenes of the main IBO cast throughout the show.

It even has a shot of the Bearded Gentleman in a Gjallarhorn uniform.

How...how exactly does a gacha mobile game get delayed?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Chara Soon is back and now she has a whip!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
"Captain is that ok"

"You stop it if it's not"

Bright is so checked out by ZZ

Edit: Glemy of all people calls someone a f4g

War and Pieces fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 1, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Man wants to see his kids!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

How...how exactly does a gacha mobile game get delayed?

Same way as any other game, presumably. Bandai's got a lot of projects going on, Covid complicated things, early feedback was mixed...

They're talking about it too much to easily abandon it, (and the animation they've been releasing suggests money is still going in. You don't get Yoshimasa Hosoya for a trailer if you're planning to ditch) but it seems they've hit a lot of hiccups in the development process.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"I'll make sure Bright gets Emary's last words"

are we forgetting the man is married with two kids

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

whaaaat is happening why is the gundam ghosts now

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gundam ZZpooky

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And there's ZZ!

It was Fine!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

And there's ZZ!

It was Fine!

It's a shame Haman died.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

War and Pieces posted:

"Captain is that ok"

"You stop it if it's not"

Bright is so checked out by ZZ

Edit: Glemy of all people calls someone a f4g
This came up once early on in the old fansubs I watched and it was kind of a frowny moment even if the context was "Judau, comma, a fifteen year old guy who skips school constantly and hangs out with Beecha and Mondo, both of whom are no doubt constantly saying Gamer Words."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I didn't see any such language in the subs I had. I think mine might have been based on the official.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, the older translation that included a slur was a fansub which the official sub renders as "fabulous" or something, if I recall.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 2, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

tsob posted:

Yeah, the "was it some fag with a rose" line is an older fansub, while the official ones changed the line to "was he a flamboyant guy with a rose" or something if I recall.

It's fine if Judau calls someone a f4g, he's a rough and tumble junkyard guy, I expect better from that f4g Glemy

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Having just looked at some of the stuff from Crossbone Dust, I have to wonder....does anyone actually like...any of Crossbone? Because it started out kinda dumb, and appears to have eventually jumped a flaming shark into a hula hoop of the stupidest Gundam content I have ever seen.

I mean, there's a mobile suit with a loving Ranba Ral mask.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Crossbone is awful and it’s reputation entirely is held up by the design of X1

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Specifically the Katoki redesign of the Crossbone Gundam. I don't think anyone will defend the original artwork.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Having just looked at some of the stuff from Crossbone Dust, I have to wonder....does anyone actually like...any of Crossbone? Because it started out kinda dumb, and appears to have eventually jumped a flaming shark into a hula hoop of the stupidest Gundam content I have ever seen.

I mean, there's a mobile suit with a loving Ranba Ral mask.

Crossbone Gundam is inarguably the manga with the most fans who have never actually read it

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I really like the idea of gump but the manga looks like trash. Like visually it’s fuckin garbage idk bout the words

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I actually like Tobia quite a bit and him stealing the X2 during that gladiator fight is great but yeah, a lot of crossbone isn't that good and the enemy designs are trash.

The art is just terrible. Like, why does Cecily look nothing like how she did in F91. You cannot tell me they are the same character, I don't care about artists having different styles.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The moment you move past the Crossbone design you're already deep in silly dumb territory and the further you move away from the original manga, the more you get into wild wacky territory. God the Thoucus designs and justifications

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crossbone is actually extremely good, at least as far as I've read. I didn't get to Dust, maybe it gets poo poo there, I couldn't tell you.

I won't defend the art though, the art is really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Crossbone has a real bad case of what I’ve come to call Fate/Zero syndrome, where a mediocre work that’s not localized or otherwise present in the west gains notoriety through the sharing of out-of-context Cool Moments, which means that people in the west get a much more positive opinion of the work than it probably deserves because they don’t know the context those moments are in, or of all the other much worse parts of the work they weren’t privy to.