Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love this track so much that, as a fellow (albeit small time) composer, it makes me jealous I didn't write it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9SEjBNOY4

Yeah that's on the album as well, with an alternate version on disc 2 which is also cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
No news about it showed up in Steam, but the patch that fixes the final expedition reward is out. Get your space whale frigate now. :fatshark:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Do you need to be at a certain point in your game to kick off this expedition? I totally missed how to do it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What do you lot do for ships? Is there one that you use all the time? Do you swap between them for specific purposes? What classes do you use for what?

I've been finding it hard to figure out why I'd use anything other than this exotic one I found. I also obtained an S-class tier 3 fighter but the inventory shows as much smaller and the damage potential too (so what's the point of a fighter?).

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

priznat posted:

Do you need to be at a certain point in your game to kick off this expedition? I totally missed how to do it.

You start a new game and it'll have "start expedition" under that. You can claim rewards you get in an expedition under your normal saves at the Quicksilver guy (I think).

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What do you lot do for ships? Is there one that you use all the time? Do you swap between them for specific purposes? What classes do you use for what?

I've been finding it hard to figure out why I'd use anything other than this exotic one I found. I also obtained an S-class tier 3 fighter but the inventory shows as much smaller and the damage potential too (so what's the point of a fighter?).

If I'm going to be jumping between systems a lot, I use my living ship since the jump drive only needs chromatic metal and I'm too lazy to make jump fuel. If I'm staying in a particular system for awhile I have two kitted out exotics that I use, just depending on which one I think looks cooler at the time. I also have one other ship if I want to do a galaxy jump with all its stuff in the tech slots, and so I don't care if anything breaks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I use my solar ship mostly, the way the Vesper Sail recharges the launch system and pulse engine is unrivaled. I have a living ship but it's just to have it, I can't be bothered to upgrade it because it's painful and even fully upgraded it lacks a lot of stuff that other ships have. Exotics are nice and all, but solar ships are where it's at.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The problem I'm having with the expedition is I seem to rarely see either the stuff to make warp fuel or actual warp fuel available to buy. It's easy enough to forage of course but I'm used to the convenience of my main save where I have more than I could ever use.

On my main save, ships are just other storage organizers for the most part; like one is overflow for manufacturing, one is for base building stuff, another is for actually shipping the finished products, etc. It's absolutely not necessary to do it this way and probably isn't even the most efficient way to do it but it works for me.

I mainly travel in the first elite ship I found because it outperforms everything else by a good margin, even if I didn't also love the aesthetics. And I have a living ship because why not but haven't found much use for it.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 31, 2022

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Honestly use whatever you think looks coolest. At this point all (non-living) ships can be upgraded to the same slot capacity and once you stuff it full of upgrades they all have roughly the same performance within a few points. And those few points don't matter in the slightest because its complete overkill.

Every ship can be made to perform good, but not every ship looks good.

Something something, my aesthetic.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Every ship can be made to perform good, but not every ship looks good.

:hmmyes:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
What’s a good way to “farm” large and interesting ships?

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 31, 2022

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Also two of my main story quests are bugged is there a way to fix it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

You start a new game and it'll have "start expedition" under that. You can claim rewards you get in an expedition under your normal saves at the Quicksilver guy (I think).

Aha! this is a new and interesting mechanic. Took me a couple cycles before I could get off the dang starting planet, laff.

It's cool how people sprinkled their helpful storage bases around, once you get a ship you can really load up on whatever.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also two of my main story quests are bugged is there a way to fix it?

Did you try resetting the quest first? If you stray too far from the local mission it'll allow you to reset the quest. On the PS5 you hover over the quest and hold down the R3 button, I'm not sure what it is on other systems.

If you're referring to straight bugged out quests, I used to have a few but the most recent updates fixed them one at a time. Patience is the key when it comes to some of these glitches. You might find it eventually fixes itself. It doesn't hurt to submit a bug report to Hello Games themselves, if they don't know about it they can't fix it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just pick ships that look cool and that's my problem, because so many look cool. Current fave is a gaudy red needle nosed fighter, looks like an old Corvette that was never garaged, burns oil, and is only driven with the top down by a balding boomer on weekends.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CaptainSkinny posted:

Did you try resetting the quest first? If you stray too far from the local mission it'll allow you to reset the quest. On the PS5 you hover over the quest and hold down the R3 button, I'm not sure what it is on other systems.

If you're referring to straight bugged out quests, I used to have a few but the most recent updates fixed them one at a time. Patience is the key when it comes to some of these glitches. You might find it eventually fixes itself. It doesn't hurt to submit a bug report to Hello Games themselves, if they don't know about it they can't fix it.

Thanks I'll start with jumping away a little bit.

Another question, are there any tips or tricks to finding all the animals on the planet? I know about looking them up on the discovery tab to figure out vaguely where they are. I'm exploring a ton so those nanites would be swell.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Thanks I'll start with jumping away a little bit.

Another question, are there any tips or tricks to finding all the animals on the planet? I know about looking them up on the discovery tab to figure out vaguely where they are. I'm exploring a ton so those nanites would be swell.

On the discoveries tab of the planet it will show you how many fauna there are to discover. Once you click on the fauna you will see a list of all the animals on that planet both discovered and undiscovered. The undiscovered animals will have a description of where you can find them, such as ocean creatures or flying creatures, and the time of day they appear. For anyone that simply after the milestones or the achievements, you can find glitched planets and they will only have one creature on the entire planet. Just land, scan it, then you can claim the nanites for discovering all the creatures on the planet. It's just that the more creatures there are on the planet, the more nanites you get for the all-discovered bonus.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Stare-Out posted:

So I figured I'd check out the soundtrack to the game, even though most of the music is prog-gen stuff there are the few tracks that play every time you start a new game or finish a mission or whatever, and the soundtrack is pretty great as it turns out. I typically check out soundtracks for games I like but for some reason it never occurred to me to do that for this game before. Maybe because the music in the game plays relatively rarely.

65daysofstatic is the band responsible for the music and the album is called, appropriately "Music for an Infinite Universe" and I really dig it. It's synths, guitars, percussion and all kinds of interesting glitchy tunes. It's neat to have a bunch of ambience and discordant sounds and suddenly a recognizable tune from the game happens.

I'm sure most of you recognize this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZehJQWR2IIc

Weirdly the trailer music that they've used since the beginning isn't on the album, it's on the band's previous (I think) one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlydRRs1BMQ

I turned off the in-game music ages ago and just queue up some ambient playlists on Spotify when I play. Really suits the chill vibe of the game. This stuff is pretty good, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ooooh I didn't realize the solar ships charged itself. That is a game changer. Now I'm in the market for a solar.

Regarding my quest for electromagnetic energy, I actually found a source using the scanner's barely noticeable blips!

... 800+u away from where my base is. :negative:

I don't want to move it; it's at the top of a hill, overlooking my settlement.

Guess I'll load up on solar panels and batteries, then.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Is there an up to date beginners guide / series that i can use to ease back into this?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

Is there an up to date beginners guide / series that i can use to ease back into this?

SurvivalBob is a good resource.

This is like 99% up to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnPoja9kWLU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ooooh I didn't realize the solar ships charged itself. That is a game changer. Now I'm in the market for a solar.

Regarding my quest for electromagnetic energy, I actually found a source using the scanner's barely noticeable blips!

... 800+u away from where my base is. :negative:

I don't want to move it; it's at the top of a hill, overlooking my settlement.

Guess I'll load up on solar panels and batteries, then.

You can place base items up to (exactly) 1000u from your base computer, you just need to "push" the bubble of buildable territory bit by bit. I usually use alloy half-arches and stick lights on them, then run the electricity back from light to light. If you pull up your build menu and it's flipped to "portable only", just go back towards the last thing you placed until it flips back. (If you exit the game and come back in you may need to "touch base" with your base computer before you can start placing things outside of the initial base zone again). The build camera also helps a lot, since being allowed to build or not is based on your character's position, so you can stand inside the current bubble and use your build camera to place things further away than you can reach on foot.

This also means that technically speaking you can link together as many resource nodes in a 2000u diameter circle as you want, you just need to do a bit of pre-scouting to figure out where the right center point to actually drop your base computer is.

e: fwiw using that trick I don't think there's been a single place where I said "this would be an awesome base" for scenic reasons and didn't have some EM node in 2000u range in some direction, so it's a super handy trick for just about everything base-building related

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 1, 2022

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Don't forget to move your solar sail tech right next to the pulse drive to get an adjacency bonus.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

CaptainSkinny posted:

On the discoveries tab of the planet it will show you how many fauna there are to discover. Once you click on the fauna you will see a list of all the animals on that planet both discovered and undiscovered. The undiscovered animals will have a description of where you can find them, such as ocean creatures or flying creatures, and the time of day they appear. For anyone that simply after the milestones or the achievements, you can find glitched planets and they will only have one creature on the entire planet. Just land, scan it, then you can claim the nanites for discovering all the creatures on the planet. It's just that the more creatures there are on the planet, the more nanites you get for the all-discovered bonus.

Is there a known bug for this? I have a planet that claims I've discovered 11/16 but the list of fauna does not show any of the undiscovered ones. Similarly I have another planet missing two but only shows one undiscovered one in the fauna list.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Nmscoordinateexchange on reddit is great for finding new cool ships, freighters, pets, or even cool planets. The only prereq is having all of your portal signs unlocked to get there and access to the galaxy they might be in. Most are euclid or eissentam.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DisposableHero posted:

Is there a known bug for this? I have a planet that claims I've discovered 11/16 but the list of fauna does not show any of the undiscovered ones. Similarly I have another planet missing two but only shows one undiscovered one in the fauna list.
I know this was a bug on planets that had been visited before the last time Hello Games updated planet generation, but that shouldn't be affecting expedition saves.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Hour #3 of trying to find a downed frig. I would normally just move on and circle back but I really want to put a base near one so I don't have to repeat this again if I die. I guess at least I finished off the nanite and eggs and am nearly done with the units visiting all these crashed ships and abandoned bases.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

Hour #3 of trying to find a downed frig. I would normally just move on and circle back but I really want to put a base near one so I don't have to repeat this again if I die. I guess at least I finished off the nanite and eggs and am nearly done with the units visiting all these crashed ships and abandoned bases.

I had the same issue and spent a similar amount of time trying to find one. I finally found one at random after I gave up and went after the next anchor point missions.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How I did it was just buy a bunch of Distress Signal maps at the space station then just pop one in every system I stopped by on the way to the next anchor point - if the first result wasn't a crashed capital ship I'd just continue warping. If you're already at #5 then yeah it'll probably be a pain, but it's definitely not something worth delaying the rest of the journey for since you're already wasting the time you'd save if you die.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is there any way to revisit previously discovered territory?

What I mean, specifically, is when I use those save waypoint mini towers, and they tell me the name of the region, I then have that region listed on my discovery page. However, I can't seem to mark them or whatever to easily return to them. Seems kind of silly that that's not an option. Or is it, and I'm just missing it somehow?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

How I did it was just buy a bunch of Distress Signal maps at the space station then just pop one in every system I stopped by on the way to the next anchor point - if the first result wasn't a crashed capital ship I'd just continue warping. If you're already at #5 then yeah it'll probably be a pain, but it's definitely not something worth delaying the rest of the journey for since you're already wasting the time you'd save if you die.

The way I always did it when I was fishing for crashed ships for a multitude of reasons was to buy the charts, save, pop a bunch until the game told me "it did nothing", and reload if none of them were actual crashed ships or if the ones I did get were all crap. I was planning on doing similar here but got a freighter right off the bat so that was pretty much that.

I will also note, apropos of nothing, "literally just slow terrain following, blipping for house icons and keeping your eyes peeled" can be surprisingly rewarding on planets that are Good For It (ie, anything with flatter terrain, few or no storms, and none of the Massive Vison-Occluding Static Elements like darnasuss trees, giant cheerio rings, or living-ship-alike monstrosities). I wouldn't ever reccommend it for specific PoI farming outside of the things that have no maps, but especially early on in an expedition where you might need one or more of most PoIs, it's honestly probably faster than going back and forth to the station/savescumming for specific PoI types (and certainly more fun than staring at a loading screen)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Glory be, Cap'n! There be whales here!

...You okay, Leviathan? You're looking a little... Normandy-ish.

e:

What I mean, specifically, is when I use those save waypoint mini towers, and they tell me the name of the region, I then have that region listed on my discovery page. However, I can't seem to mark them or whatever to easily return to them. Seems kind of silly that that's not an option. Or is it, and I'm just missing it somehow?

Unfortunately no, the only way I've found is to deploy a save beacon next to a PoI or terrain feature you want to visit again. Ostensibly you could just remember what the area looked like and fly back to it, but good luck with that, most of us don't have photographic memory.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 1, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am very bad at this expedition thing although my last couple death were extremely janky.

Once I get to the anchor points do you resume from there going forward? If not I’m packing it in now because I die way too much and if I make it further and die and have to redo it… fffffff

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

priznat posted:

I am very bad at this expedition thing although my last couple death were extremely janky.

Once I get to the anchor points do you resume from there going forward? If not I’m packing it in now because I die way too much and if I make it further and die and have to redo it… fffffff

Nope, you respawn back on the first planet. Which is why we've been recommending building bases on the anchor worlds. At least plop down a base computer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dareon posted:

Nope, you respawn back on the first planet. Which is why we've been recommending building bases on the anchor worlds. At least plop down a base computer.

I don’t suppose putting a teleporter gate will let you zap to it from a space station eh :haw:

Might try it again tomorrow night but just feels like I’m banging my head against a wall and isn’t the chill game I enjoyed. I hardly ever die in normal games and now this mode I’m getting killed by pirates, freezing to death, alien bugs on freighters etc..

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've just defaulted to being extremely cautious about everything. One of the things that helps is keeping your ship extremely close to hand, as it's a handy escape route and shelter against the elements. Always have a good supply of Launch Fuel so you can summon it when needed, and when all else fails, dig a really deep hole to hide in.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

priznat posted:

I don’t suppose putting a teleporter gate will let you zap to it from a space station eh :haw:

Might try it again tomorrow night but just feels like I’m banging my head against a wall and isn’t the chill game I enjoyed. I hardly ever die in normal games and now this mode I’m getting killed by pirates, freezing to death, alien bugs on freighters etc..

Don't even need the teleporter gate, you can pop to bases from a station even if it's just a computer in a field.

Besides, you'd need to farm the data for the teleporter and a power generator. And if you're farming for data, it might as well be for the nutrient processor. Plant one or more of those at a base and you can refine some of your more worthless inventory filler into much more valuable inventory filler, give yourself a head start next loop.

Meanwhile, since I've finished the expedition, am I still looping, or is this now perma-permadeath for me? I want to go farm mats for the community goal, but I want to do it somewhere more exciting than the idyllic planet I have a colony on.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

There's no built-in way, unfortunately; planetary maps aren't a thing. If you want to mark a planetary spot for some reason, the easiest way is to drop a save beacon, or, if you've reached the max save beacon limit (5 per planet, I think), you could always just drop a base computer there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dennyk posted:

There's no built-in way, unfortunately; planetary maps aren't a thing. If you want to mark a planetary spot for some reason, the easiest way is to drop a save beacon, or, if you've reached the max save beacon limit (5 per planet, I think), you could always just drop a base computer there.

See, this seems silly (not that I don't believe you and the other poster who replied to me; I do). If they list these spots in the discoveries tab, then why not allow us to activate them as beacons or something?

They're RIGHT THERE, listed on the page. Why isn't there a 'Mark on HUD' option by, I don't know, pressing the middle mouse button? :psyduck:

You can name them, you can upload them... But you can't mark them as places of interest? Why not?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

See, this seems silly (not that I don't believe you and the other poster who replied to me; I do). If they list these spots in the discoveries tab, then why not allow us to activate them as beacons or something?

They're RIGHT THERE, listed on the page. Why isn't there a 'Mark on HUD' option by, I don't know, pressing the middle mouse button? :psyduck:

You can name them, you can upload them... But you can't mark them as places of interest? Why not?

I think it's a holdover from "how the game was designed/envisioned at launch"-- everything was extremely geared towards "no back, only forward" and you personally were the galaxy's only current iteration of the space hobo. No basebuilding, no freighters, hitting another galaxy removed your ability to teleport to a previous galaxy's stations; it was literally just "scrounge materials and play the jurassic park kazoo while meandering towards the center". A lot has changed since but you can really feel the long-lasting impact of some of those initial design decisions (the very ephemeral nature of terrain edits, the way that the game seems to "forget" you've discovered all of the creatures/plants on a planet on a long enough timeframe, the incredible difficulty of backtracking via anything that's not "teleport to a previous system/existing base"), and not all of them have been high priority to fix/change compared to everything else (and some are so fundamental that they probably never will change, or will just keep reinforcing that underlying ephemeral nature if they ever did get addressed)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if I haven't played in a couple of years should I just reroll at this point?