Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
UCLA has fought back again, this time from 5-0 down, to take a 7-6 lead in the 7th. against a team that is as good as any in the country apart from Tennessee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

elentar posted:

well, NC State had done a pretty solid job recovering from the early season swoon until they up and got swept at home by Wake this weekend. and of course that coincided with UNC going on a tear and sweeping FSU to revive their own distant NCAA hopes. just another year of Wolfpack baseball, looking forward to whatever miserable ways they get dumped out of the postseason this time.

elentar posted:

Anyway State has to beat Miami tonight to advance. Feeling another final series loss coming on.

elentar posted:

Ah poo poo the ACC bracket totally fell apart but UNC is still in which means they’re probably a cinch to win it.

like absolute clockwork

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Waylp.

GG vols

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah we have a baseball team

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

You’ve had one all year.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Hi welcome

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Michigan wins the Big Ten tournament, beating Rutgers 10-4. In their semifinal against Iowa Michigan's starter got caught with a sticky glove and got tossed. It didn't matter, Michigan ended up winning 13-1.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

LET ME TELL YALL SOMETHING

since a redneck grabbed a raccoon by the scruff and threw it out of the stadium, arky has:
gone 1-2 against vandy
gone 1-2 against alabama
lost their division championship and their #2 seed for the tournament
gone 0-2 in the tournament
was refused hosting of a regional

The curse of the raccoon is real.

also
HOW BOUT THEM VOLS

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

maxallen posted:

LET ME TELL YALL SOMETHING

since a redneck grabbed a raccoon by the scruff and threw it out of the stadium, arky has:
gone 1-2 against vandy
gone 1-2 against alabama
lost their division championship and their #2 seed for the tournament
gone 0-2 in the tournament
was refused hosting of a regional

The curse of the raccoon is real.

It sucks!!!!

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

chaoslord posted:

It sucks!!!!

look i know it sucks right now, but just think, the cubs threw out a billy goat and it only took 100 years before they won a world series again

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

NCAA has announced the 16 regionals ahead of the selection show tomorrow

Auburn
Texas
Virginia Tech
UNC
Maryland
Texas A&M
Miami
Oregon State
Florida
East Carolina
Southern Miss
Tennessee
Louisville
Stanford
Georgia Southern
Oklahoma State

I’m a little surprised about Texas, would have put Oklahoma above them. Notre Dame probably should have gotten in too, ahead of maybe Georgia Southern? And probably TCU instead of Auburn.

Poster a couple above mentioned Michigan winning the Big Ten. That’s a stolen bid. Couple of other potential bid thieves out there, bubble isn’t going to be very friendly this year

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

chaoslord posted:

NCAA has announced the 16 regionals ahead of the selection show tomorrow

Auburn
Texas
Virginia Tech
UNC
Maryland
Texas A&M
Miami
Oregon State
Florida
East Carolina
Southern Miss
Tennessee
Louisville
Stanford
Georgia Southern
Oklahoma State

I’m a little surprised about Texas, would have put Oklahoma above them. Notre Dame probably should have gotten in too, ahead of maybe Georgia Southern? And probably TCU instead of Auburn.

Poster a couple above mentioned Michigan winning the Big Ten. That’s a stolen bid. Couple of other potential bid thieves out there, bubble isn’t going to be very friendly this year

I mean I know they do the same dumb poo poo for the NCAA basketball tournament (rolling out bids way too quickly after conference tournaments is over) but jesus christ announcing host sites while there were still championships left to be played

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I'm honestly pretty surprised Gainesville got a regional, but they really turned on the jets the last month of the season or so.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I'm absolutely furious that Dallas Baptist got in. They didn't even get top 4 in the Valley Tourney but they get in. Send those loving dorks back to d-2

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Missouri Valley Top 4:
Missouri State: in
Southern Illinois: out
Evansville: out
Dallas Baptist College (Division 2): in

love it

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

ahahaha NC State snubbed, that is the most amazing way to end this season

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Nice to see OU make the CWS. Death to Liberty

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky left out. Not too surprising, too many bad losses that the good wins couldn't offset. Still have that series win over Tennessee that no one else can claim this year.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m more surprised that Ole Miss made it

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

elentar posted:

ahahaha NC State snubbed, that is the most amazing way to end this season

I slept through the selection show cause my little 1 year old kept me up most of the night so I just caught up on the thread, but when I first read this I was thinking “I mean, I don’t know, I think it’s fine that NC State didn’t host?”

And then I finished waking up, looked through the bracket, and realized what you meant

Lmao that’s criminal! D1 baseball had y’all as a 2 seed! I honestly think the “last four in” and “first four out” should have been flipped. Imagine the Stillwater regional being Ok State, Missouri State, Arkansas, and NC State instead of Grand Canyon. That sounds like a much better setup. And Ole Miss ahead of them, too? Seems like more of a “ah of course the sec is tougher” pick.

https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status/1531313701223075841?s=21&t=d0Iz-cM3vcmHug4d5I_8pQ

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Wolfpack being left out is loving criminal.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It's remarkable that A&M has a national seed, both from the perspective of earlier in the year and looking at last year. Whatever happens, I am happy with this season.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I feel like the Big XII kinda got a raw deal. Only 2 host sites, WVU doesn't make it in after having to face (eventual) champ OU and a desperate KSU (who went on to beat TTU afterwards).

Tech a 3 seed, in the same bracket as the lowest national seed. If they did bracket math, that sets Tech as the lowest rated 3?

Although, I'm not complaining about the draw. It's one of the most likely regions for a 3 seed to come out of. Greenville, Louisville, and Statesboro each seem to have some combination of weak #1, beatable #2, and strong #3.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Just looked at the regional lineup and lol

Oklahoma, really good team. Liberty also really good who took a series from us early in the year. And a 40 win 4 seed Central Michigan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It will be very sad but also very baseball if Tennessee goes out early.

https://twitter.com/statsowar/status/1531648997844082688

Or maybe they'll just roll to the title of course. One or the other.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
#1 going into the tournament hasn’t won it since like ‘99 and it was the only time it’s ever happened so odds are that we don’t make it all the way, which is what I’m expecting.

Would be rad as hell though

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Clemson fired Monte Lee after missing the tournament. Folks are basically saying it’s OSullivans job to refuse.

He didn’t go to LSU so I can’t really see him bouncing for Clemson. He’s coached almost twice as long at UF as he did at Clemson and I think UF is definitely a better job, but I won’t rest easy until it’s filled.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Clemson fired Monte Lee after missing the tournament. Folks are basically saying it’s OSullivans job to refuse.

He didn’t go to LSU so I can’t really see him bouncing for Clemson. He’s coached almost twice as long at UF as he did at Clemson and I think UF is definitely a better job, but I won’t rest easy until it’s filled.

Preface: I don't know jack poo poo, but I'm seeing a Link Jarrett (ND) talk, not your guy.

Also Clemson fired Lee after missing the tournament for the second time in a row. That last happened in the 70s.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

drewhead posted:

Preface: I don't know jack poo poo, but I'm seeing a Link Jarrett (ND) talk, not your guy.

Also Clemson fired Lee after missing the tournament for the second time in a row. That last happened in the 70s.

I hope you’re right. And after ND got hosed this year he would be smart to bounce. Northern team penalties are real.

I was sad to see Monte Lee fail. After y’all poached him from my cougs I thought he was going to do really well.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Oof.

Sorry elentar

https://twitter.com/11point7/status/1532362405501624321?s=20&t=8IZV70Bu7BAxAaBpmjSgQg

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

yeah sounds like he wants to head back to Florida

and besides nothing good lasts except to turn to ashes in your mouth so just part of it all

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

elentar posted:

yeah sounds like he wants to head back to Florida

and besides nothing good lasts except to turn to ashes in your mouth so just part of it all

Growing up in SC in the 90s (before the cocks exploded in 98), about all the college baseball that was on TV was NCSU so I have some real affection for y’all.

Y’all have suffered and it sucks.

Also I hope he transfers to UF but I’m sure he’ll end up at FSU. I’m hoping St Pete being mostly Gator Country helps us out. :ohdear:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Growing up in SC in the 90s (before the cocks exploded in 98), about all the college baseball that was on TV was NCSU so I have some real affection for y’all.

Y’all have suffered and it sucks.

Also I hope he transfers to UF but I’m sure he’ll end up at FSU. I’m hoping St Pete being mostly Gator Country helps us out. :ohdear:

yeah if he heads back to FL there's really only three options and I'd much prefer him to pick the one that isn't in the ACC

(South Carolina of course exploded because they got NC State's coach, who had done really good things at the program but finally got fed up with the refusal of the administration to support baseball or even attempt to create facilities that would pass muster for hosting—multiple years of State getting a 1-seed back in the 48-team tournament, when regionals had 6 teams apiece, but getting sent out to their 2-seed's site because lacking capacity, etc.)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

elentar posted:

yeah if he heads back to FL there's really only three options and I'd much prefer him to pick the one that isn't in the ACC

(South Carolina of course exploded because they got NC State's coach, who had done really good things at the program but finally got fed up with the refusal of the administration to support baseball or even attempt to create facilities that would pass muster for hosting—multiple years of State getting a 1-seed back in the 48-team tournament, when regionals had 6 teams apiece, but getting sent out to their 2-seed's site because lacking capacity, etc.)

Well take heart that his hubris finally destroyed the program and much of the athletic department.

Cold comfort, considering the success he had.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Well take heart that his hubris finally destroyed the program and much of the athletic department.

As a Clemson fan living in NC I'm down with NCST wandering the desert for forty years.

My first job out of school was in Atlanta and I would of traded getting swept by tobacco row over a GaTech loss. Times change.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

drewhead posted:

As a Clemson fan living in NC I'm down with NCST wandering the desert for forty years.

My first job out of school was in Atlanta and I would of traded getting swept by tobacco row over a GaTech loss. Times change.

my perspective on a lot of this stuff necessarily shifted when i started working in academia and suddenly had a bunch of friends at all these different places (including like 4 profs at Clemson! they hired a whole lot of UVA folks for a while there...) but mostly because i can see in my daily life and theirs what an enormous drag college sports is on what a university is actually supposed to do, and how little "rivalries" matter—except UNC, of course, who can burn in hell for what they brazenly did to their AfAm department (spare everything else besides athletics though, too many friends there otherwise)

really at this point sports is just a way for me to bring extra irrational pain and anxiety into my life to augment the huge load of extremely rational pain and anxiety that I'm expected to cope with daily, so anything that gets me to care a little less is ultimately good

meanwhile https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1532413386520248322?s=20&t=spmCmgnvsDRoclVJsx7Gvw

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 2, 2022

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Didn’t get around to finishing my write ups before this started RIP

Florida State / UCLA is a pretty good one, in bottom of 6th right now

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Campbell is whooping Tech's rear end

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Joey Freshwater posted:

Campbell is whooping Tech's rear end

:stare:

Did, uh, did not expect that. Wonder if Tech got cute and tried to pitch their #2 guy to save their #1 for Tenn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chaoslord posted:

:stare:

Did, uh, did not expect that. Wonder if Tech got cute and tried to pitch their #2 guy to save their #1 for Tenn

They're starting to claw back but still 6 runs down