Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Sounds like that deck needed an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I’m doing the stupid thing by spending a small amount now to put off spending more later by converting it all to trex.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Upgrade posted:

I’m doing the stupid thing by spending a small amount now to put off spending more later by converting it all to trex.

I need to do this for our back porch and I'm not looking forward to paying for it. Considering doing it myself since it's all easy straight cuts and the base structure is in good shape but still, gently caress trex is expensive.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Beef Of Ages posted:

I need to do this for our back porch and I'm not looking forward to paying for it. Considering doing it myself since it's all easy straight cuts and the base structure is in good shape but still, gently caress trex is expensive.

I was looking online and trex was estimating materials around $5k, not including stairs. Then it said that materials only account for 1/3 of the total cost.

Is labor for a deck really $10k in that case?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there any reason in TYOOL 2022 to use nails on a deck instead of purpose-built deck screws

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If you're planning to upgrade an existing deck to trex or other composite, check your joist spacing. Many composites will say their min spacing 16" on center, but for "maximum performance“ or something they suggest 12". You really want 12“, otherwise it will bow and flex and feel like a trampoline.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Is there any reason in TYOOL 2022 to use nails on a deck instead of purpose-built deck screws

Time. Whoever built the deck for the PO at my place loved his pneumatic nailer and put it to ample use on our deck. Removing anything is an incredible pain in the rear end involving industrial grade pry bars.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, how else are you going to be the lowest bidder?

It's strange, our house has a front porch, balcony, and deck. We replaced the deck, but it was built with screws. The balcony? Screws.

The front porch? Nails... and it shows, because the board on the edge by the stairs (that everyone steps on going up/down) occasionally pulls out a bit. Really ought to take care of that...

nwin posted:

I was looking online and trex was estimating materials around $5k, not including stairs. Then it said that materials only account for 1/3 of the total cost.

Is labor for a deck really $10k in that case?

$10k is probably the "we're the worst contractor in town and even we have a line out the door" price.

Also was that the decking/rails, or was that ALL materials? Framing is going to add cost as well... not $10k, but still not nothing.

Upgrade posted:

Our new deck is trex and it's loving awesome. Considering we were upgrading from 20+ year old rotted wood, it's a world of difference.

Double check the instructions, though. There are some specific things they ask for, one of which is that the joist spacing has to be pretty tight. Actually preventing us from re-skinning the front porch and balcony.

edit: derp, someone already mentioned the joist spacing. Worth mentioning again... the instructions have calculations for spacing depending on what angle the decking is installed at relative to the joists. I think technically they require down to 10" for some installations, but IIRC 12" should cover most scenarios.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 1, 2022

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Does trex get hotter then wood in the sun? Or is the just big wood propaganda?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I tried to do myself and the future owner a favor by using fancy deck screws in my new deck flooring but the wood just swelled over and blocked the screw heads

So have fun drilling that out or cutting it with a sawzall I guess

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Elephanthead posted:

Does trex get hotter then wood in the sun? Or is the just big wood propaganda?

I think technically it does. There's some vague info on google to say this, along with some semi-scientific tests that people claim to have carried out.

In my own uncalibrated tests during construction, though, if the trex is too hot to stand on, then so is the wood. Maybe the wood isn't as hot, but it's still uncomfortable enough to where you don't want to walk on it without shoes/sandals.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DaveSauce posted:

I think technically it does. There's some vague info on google to say this, along with some semi-scientific tests that people claim to have carried out.

In my own uncalibrated tests during construction, though, if the trex is too hot to stand on, then so is the wood. Maybe the wood isn't as hot, but it's still uncomfortable enough to where you don't want to walk on it without shoes/sandals.

My in-laws have a trex deck in a hot/humid part of the south and seconding this, any time it's too hot wood would be too.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

My trex gets hot as gently caress. I feel more so that wood, but not by a ton.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

My deck has Trex on the main platform with wood on the steps. Similar shade of color. They're both hot as gently caress in direct sunlight.

We use outdoor rugs to reclaim some of the bare skin usage on hot days.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 1, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Our front balcony is trex and yea it gets hot but only at times i wouldn't want to be outside anyway

I did get a quote on trexing the back deck (only the second story + stairs, which are what gets exposed to the sun) and it was $14k. and that was with keeping the railings and structure - fortunately we have narrow enough joists already. to be fair its a large deck with a long staircase, so, i get it, but still.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I have a drop in bathroom sink set in tile. Without completely redoing the counter, is it possible to install an under mount sink?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Also, after having hired a lot of contractors for a lot of jobs over the last six months, I will absolutely pay a 20% premium for someone who:

* Shows up on time
* Communicates clearly
* Is nice to my dog
* Doesn't blare conservative talk radio

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Harriet Carker posted:

I have a drop in bathroom sink set in tile. Without completely redoing the counter, is it possible to install an under mount sink?

Depending on the level of “done” you want, maybe? The tile crew knew the drop in was coming so they didn’t finish the tile edge, you will likely find rough edges and definitely an unfinished plywood/cementboard edge around the sink hole, so you’d need to find some bullnose tile that matches the existing counter to your liking and cut back the existing tile to a clean line and install that. And that’s if he existing structure of the countertop is thick enough to take the under mount clips.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

Depending on the level of “done” you want, maybe? The tile crew knew the drop in was coming so they didn’t finish the tile edge, you will likely find rough edges and definitely an unfinished plywood/cementboard edge around the sink hole, so you’d need to find some bullnose tile that matches the existing counter to your liking and cut back the existing tile to a clean line and install that. And that’s if he existing structure of the countertop is thick enough to take the under mount clips.

Makes sense. I also want to replace the faucet but there’s a mirror that swings open mounted right above sink so I have less then 5 inches of clearance. Not many options! I might just want to get rid of the entire vanity someday and leave it as is for now.

On another note, is Greenworks a decent brand for electric yard tools? I need a mower and weed eater and it must have a removable battery (no electricity in the shed)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone get an appliance delivered from Home Depot lately? New fridge is supposedly showing up tomorrow and that date hasn't changed since I ordered it, but I haven't heard anything from them yet either. I suppose no news is good news, but I just had to finalize my leave request for tomorrow and would suck to burn leave for no reason.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone get an appliance delivered from Home Depot lately? New fridge is supposedly showing up tomorrow and that date hasn't changed since I ordered it, but I haven't heard anything from them yet either. I suppose no news is good news, but I just had to finalize my leave request for tomorrow and would suck to burn leave for no reason.

I would call to confirm, I can't find an email from them ahead of time but I'm fairly sure they gave me a call to give me the timing window. Maybe it was day of?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Harriet Carker posted:

Makes sense. I also want to replace the faucet but there’s a mirror that swings open mounted right above sink so I have less then 5 inches of clearance. Not many options! I might just want to get rid of the entire vanity someday and leave it as is for now.

On another note, is Greenworks a decent brand for electric yard tools? I need a mower and weed eater and it must have a removable battery (no electricity in the shed)

I have a greenworks blower and edger and both are great. The 40v battery lasts a surprisingly long time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have the egopower 630cfm and it works really well. I'll never own a gas leaf blower for residential use

I was surprised how well my reel mower works, it's really not any more effort or time than a gas push power mower, nothing to maintain besides periodically sharpening the blades

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Enos Cabell posted:

Can't speak to lately, but I ordered a fridge through Home Depot a few years ago and it took them three tries to get me one that wasn't critically damaged. I only took the last one because the damage was just cosmetic on the sides, they gave me 2/3 off the price, and it was the last one in the warehouse (I needed that specific, abnormal size). Going forward I will only buy what I can see in person and cart away that day. Their shipper or warehouse employees must all be meth baboons.

Greenworks edit: my partner has their mower and it works way better/ is more powerful than the plug-in Snapper I had back in the day. It does suck down batteries though, even her tiny yard takes two charges, and she already had to replace the first battery after less than a year because it lost charge.

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 1, 2022

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Enos Cabell posted:

I had a washer/dryer and fridge delivered just a week ago and they called me the night before to give me my delivery window (automated message) and the delivery driver called me about 20 minutes before they arrived.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

I tried to do myself and the future owner a favor by using fancy deck screws in my new deck flooring but the wood just swelled over and blocked the screw heads

So have fun drilling that out or cutting it with a sawzall I guess

The driver will just drill through to the screw, you're good

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

raggedphoto posted:

I had a washer/dryer and fridge delivered just a week ago and they called me the night before to give me my delivery window (automated message) and the delivery driver called me about 20 minutes before they arrived.

Johnny Truant posted:

I would call to confirm, I can't find an email from them ahead of time but I'm fairly sure they gave me a call to give me the timing window. Maybe it was day of?

Thanks, just got the confirmation text that they'll be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed I don't have as many problems as Sloppy ran into with delivery!

e: is it strange that I'm more excited about the arrival of a new fridge than I have been for any of the concerts and events I've been to lately?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Enos Cabell posted:

Thanks, just got the confirmation text that they'll be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed I don't have as many problems as Sloppy ran into with delivery!

e: is it strange that I'm more excited about the arrival of a new fridge than I have been for any of the concerts and events I've been to lately?

No, a new fridge is awesome! We are going to be without a range till mid-July because apparently induction ranges are out of stock almost everywhere but figured it was worth the wait.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Epitope posted:

The driver will just drill through to the screw, you're good

Yeah I was gonna say, I just tore down an awning done with screws and the bit had no trouble digging in and finding them, even the ones that were accidentally driven almost an inch into the wood.

As for vacant lots next to houses, my neighbor to the east just passed away, and he also owns the half acre vacant lot on my south side, at the dead end of a developed neighborhood street. I wish I could afford it but there's no way. I'm sure as soon as his heirs get everything settled there will be 6 row houses going up on it. Those are the latest fad around where I live, and I really hate them. I'm sure they're great for dense living but holy gently caress they're ugly and packed in like apartments. Tiny yards, no parking to speak of, etc.

Like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6132-NE-Milton-St-Portland-OR-97213/2063076105_zpid/

This or huge mcmansions are all they're building around where I live right now. I guess if that's the business model it's the same everywhere.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, I just tore down an awning done with screws and the bit had no trouble digging in and finding them, even the ones that were accidentally driven almost an inch into the wood.

As for vacant lots next to houses, my neighbor to the east just passed away, and he also owns the half acre vacant lot on my south side, at the dead end of a developed neighborhood street. I wish I could afford it but there's no way. I'm sure as soon as his heirs get everything settled there will be 6 row houses going up on it. Those are the latest fad around where I live, and I really hate them. I'm sure they're great for dense living but holy gently caress they're ugly and packed in like apartments. Tiny yards, no parking to speak of, etc.

Like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6132-NE-Milton-St-Portland-OR-97213/2063076105_zpid/

This or huge mcmansions are all they're building around where I live right now. I guess if that's the business model it's the same everywhere.

The one you linked should just be built with shared walls, like an actual row house.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The forest preserve just bought the 50 acre dormant farm plot next to our subdivision and annexed it into the existing restored prairie, ensuring our tiny little peninsula subdivision is surrounded by protected public spaces :sun:

All the other farm land in our area is rapidly becoming massive warehouses

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
A 1,500 sq. ft. house with 3 bathrooms seems excessive.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a drill out there that has an RPM selector? I helped my buddy do a backsplash and the mortar said to mix at 300 rpm and we just kinda went for it with the drill he had but I'd like to know if there was a more elegant solution

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DoubleT2172 posted:

Is there a drill out there that has an RPM selector? I helped my buddy do a backsplash and the mortar said to mix at 300 rpm and we just kinda went for it with the drill he had but I'd like to know if there was a more elegant solution

Yeah if you want to buy a heavy duty mixer. Otherwise low speed on a selectable drill is usually up to 500rpm.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

NomNomNom posted:

If you're planning to upgrade an existing deck to trex or other composite, check your joist spacing. Many composites will say their min spacing 16" on center, but for "maximum performance“ or something they suggest 12". You really want 12“, otherwise it will bow and flex and feel like a trampoline.

....gently caress. This just got much more complicated.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I would do what he said, because my deck was 24 inch centers and trex and it is incredibly lovely. PO saved like $80 in wood to make a dangerous deck.

One of the boards snapped on me.

I am thinking of just going with a concrete deck and incorporating my Kamado grill into it because part of my trade is tying rebar anyway.

E: please use the intended hardware instead of face screwing it. Face screwing the board on the (non board end) edge is acceptable though for safe keeping.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

raggedphoto posted:

A 1,500 sq. ft. house with 3 bathrooms seems excessive.

You obviously don't have a wife and two teenage girls. Because I assure you, a 1:1 bathroom ratio might not even be enough. I don't care what size the house it. If most of the floor space has to be bathrooms that's preferable to the alternative.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

You obviously don't have a wife and two teenage girls. Because I assure you, a 1:1 bathroom ratio might not even be enough. I don't care what size the house it. If most of the floor space has to be bathrooms that's preferable to the alternative.

I don’t want to use that bathroom it’s dirty. Yeah it full of your clothes cause you don’t pick up. Build a concrete stall if you have teens.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I seem to remember in high school my best friends little sister would put the cordless phone in a Ziploc bag and take 3-5 hour showers and take conference calls in there talking about spice girls endlessly

He would come to my house (two streets over) to use our bathroom periodically as a result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I would do what he said, because my deck was 24 inch centers and trex and it is incredibly lovely. PO saved like $80 in wood to make a dangerous deck.

One of the boards snapped on me.

I am thinking of just going with a concrete deck and incorporating my Kamado grill into it because part of my trade is tying rebar anyway.

E: please use the intended hardware instead of face screwing it. Face screwing the board on the (non board end) edge is acceptable though for safe keeping.

Yeah, I just measured and the joists are every 16 inches with 22 on the stairs. I think I can get some additional brackets and put another joist between each one for 8 inch spacing and be good to go. The more I think about that, the better I feel because while it is additional cost and effort, it's not huge amounts because the deck is not that large. The stairs are another issue that I have to think more about.