Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/caylenb/status/1527015017299685377?s=20&t=Oa290kqZxbt3otyd9-FuRw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is perfection.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Do you take SSRI’s?
Why yes! I didn't know that could interfere.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

vortmax posted:

Why yes! I didn't know that could interfere.

Yeah I didn't know this either, Nigmaetcetera can you elaborate? I know there's some conjecture about MDMA and SSRIs being unsafe, but I didn't know they had any interactions with psychedelics.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah I didn't know this either, Nigmaetcetera can you elaborate? I know there's some conjecture about MDMA and SSRIs being unsafe, but I didn't know they had any interactions with psychedelics.

Serotonin reuptake is the mechanism of how they get into your brain. SSRI’s + traditional psychedelics (5-HT2A subreceptor agonists or partial agonists) will result in a very muted trip.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
MAOIs, another form of antidepressant, are also known to mess with a bunch of drugs including mushrooms.

someone i did shrooms with also claimed they didn't really get him high, and didn't say he was on any medications, it's very possible that certain people just don't get the same level of effects most people do.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

ben shapino posted:

MAOIs, another form of antidepressant, are also known to mess with a bunch of drugs including mushrooms.

someone i did shrooms with also claimed they didn't really get him high, and didn't say he was on any medications, it's very possible that certain people just don't get the same level of effects most people do.

Oh yeah MAOIs are like, sickeningly dangerous. They interact with basically everything. Do doctors even prescribe them anymore?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have severe depression and am on a high dose of SSRI's. My friend wanted me to try to microdose maybe a year or two ago and I was thrilled to try it due to what I've heard of it's efficacy towards depression. So he put some acid in a little vial with alcohol and a dropper. It was 10 doses. I took one, nothing. I took another, nothing. Next time I tried 8, so almost a full tab, and nothing.

I looked it up later and had no idea that SSRIs gently caress up hallucinogens. :(

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have severe depression and am on a high dose of SSRI's. My friend wanted me to try to microdose maybe a year or two ago and I was thrilled to try it due to what I've heard of it's efficacy towards depression. So he put some acid in a little vial with alcohol and a dropper. It was 10 doses. I took one, nothing. I took another, nothing. Next time I tried 8, so almost a full tab, and nothing.

I looked it up later and had no idea that SSRIs gently caress up hallucinogens. :(

Sorry bro. Hey, here’s a tip for people who want to mix SSRIs and psychedelics. If you decide to stop taking your medication, do it for the minimum biological clearance time for your specific med, and once you’ve successfully tripped (you’ll know when), immediately start taking your SSRI again, because even though you feel fantastic from the shrooms, or whatever, your body is still going to be having withdrawal from your SSRI.

If you’re very depressed and have not yet received evaluation and treatment, try taking psychedelics first, and then if that doesn’t work, THEN look into medications. Switching from psychs to SSRIs is easy, the other way, not so much.

This is for anybody reading, not you specifically, Pennywise.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

What psychedelic is Jordan Peterson’s favorite? You know, so I can avoid it.

He probably hasn’t taken psychedelics, he just found that his more sycophantic students who loved showering him with compliments and were into Jung liked them. You know, art students taking their mandatory science course.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I've learned more about psychology from 2 pages in this thread than from unfortunate hours listening to jorban peberson

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
He claims to have taken massive doses of mushrooms

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Is this where we all learn than if you take mushrooms while fiendishly addicted to benzos, it actually turns you into a bigger rear end in a top hat instead of broadening your perspective?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

He claims to have taken massive doses of mushrooms

Maybe if you ate a pound at once you could end up like him. Cautionary tale, people, you CAN take too many mushrooms.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Nigmaetcetera posted:

If you’re very depressed and have not yet received evaluation and treatment, try taking psychedelics first, and then if that doesn’t work, THEN look into medications.

This is interesting. And of course my GP didn't mention anything about it at all. Therapy has been helping, but I still haven't gotten a proper diagnosis beyond 'depression'.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This thread is going to end up helping more people than the good doctor Jorp himself

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

This is interesting. And of course my GP didn't mention anything about it at all. Therapy has been helping, but I still haven't gotten a proper diagnosis beyond 'depression'.

Yeah doctors are kind of legally forbidden from recommending you do anything illegal. I even had a psychiatrist tell me that he legally could not condone my experimenting with psychedelics. Just lol that he thought I was asking his permission, though.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

This thread is going to end up helping more people than the good doctor Jorp himself

That’s all threads everywhere since the beginning of time.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Oh yeah MAOIs are like, sickeningly dangerous. They interact with basically everything. Do doctors even prescribe them anymore?

They can be if other antidepressants have proven ineffective.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

DickParasite posted:

They can be if other antidepressants have proven ineffective.

If other antidepressants have been ineffective they should use electroconvulsive therapy. I’d rather have 100 ECT sessions (which I’ve never had) than take one dose of MAOIs (which I have also never had). I am an expert on these things I’ve never had.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

TheBizzness posted:

A newspaper column with household tips has changed more lives for the better than Jorp ever will

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I'm on moclobemide but it's one of the best in terms of side-effects and interactions and I basically don't have to worry about anything other than taking illegal/fun drugs that I'm getting too old for anyway

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm on moclobemide but it's one of the best in terms of side-effects and interactions and I basically don't have to worry about anything other than taking illegal/fun drugs that I'm getting too old for anyway

They prescribe moclobemide? I though it had to be purchased from Russian pharmacies or Chinese labs. At least that’s how it was like 8 years ago, the last time I looked into buying moclobemide.

Lol the atomic structure of moclobemide looks like a dildo, that’s funny

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nigmaetcetera posted:

They prescribe moclobemide?

Yeah just a prescription drug here in Australia. Been on it for years now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nigmaetcetera posted:

If other antidepressants have been ineffective they should use electroconvulsive therapy. I’d rather have 100 ECT sessions (which I’ve never had) than take one dose of MAOIs (which I have also never had). I am an expert on these things I’ve never had.

I've probably had about 40-50ish+ rounds of ECT. Most recently from Dec to Jan this year. It's actually safer than modern meds and definitely MAOIs. I've also probably been on about 30 different meds. Enough that the VA was like "welp, we don't have anything else so let's just try different combinations." They've never once suggested an MAOI though. I don't know how often they actually prescribe them. I've heard the side effects can be pretty bad.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Lol the atomic structure of moclobemide looks like a dildo, that’s funny

lol it does

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 1, 2022

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
all you really need is benzos and beef

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We're gonna do benzos for me in a couple of months I think. The VA has a thing now where you have to see your doctor in person before they can prescribe anything that hardcore. I've only seen him virtually so maybe in July we'll do it. I've been on klonopin before but that was taken daily every morning and I don't want to have to do that. So we're thinking of something I can take when poo poo starts going down. Benzos are dangerous.

Side note, my new psych that I've had for less than a year is super loving sexy. I can recognize a handsome man when I see one.

edit: I went to a brazilian steakhouse last night and had quite a bit of meat. So I'm good on that front for now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ketamine infusions are working great for me, and pretty much nothing other than TMS did before. (Bipolar 2)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Subjunctive posted:

Ketamine infusions are working great for me, and pretty much nothing other than TMS did before. (Bipolar 2)

VA doesn't do ketamine atm as far as I know. But they're getting somewhat more progressive in their treatment. They have been pushing mindfulness hardcore for the past few years. I was recommended for TMS a few months ago after the ECT was a complete failure this time, but the doc doing it wouldn't allow it until I had 6 months of no drinking. That's just not going to happen. I don't lie to a single mental health professional I work with because I don't think it will benefit me.

I got a mix of ketamine and propofol this last time to put me under for ECT. I think I went 10 rounds this last time. I stopped it because I was doing so horribly. I was kind of hoping for some sort of lasting benefit for that but it didn't do anything. I was more depressed not drinking and getting ECT than I've been in a long time.

Also, I'm happy that it's working for you. I think there is a lot more science that needs to be done with "illegal" drugs.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 1, 2022

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Pennywise the Frown posted:

We're gonna do benzos for me in a couple of months I think. The VA has a thing now where you have to see your doctor in person before they can prescribe anything that hardcore. I've only seen him virtually so maybe in July we'll do it. I've been on klonopin before but that was taken daily every morning and I don't want to have to do that. So we're thinking of something I can take when poo poo starts going down. Benzos are dangerous.

Side note, my new psych that I've had for less than a year is super loving sexy. I can recognize a handsome man when I see one.

edit: I went to a brazilian steakhouse last night and had quite a bit of meat. So I'm good on that front for now.

I hope you find something that works for you buddy. Research was promising on ketamine/microdosing/transcranial magnets last I checked. I have been reading about using cold water to reset the parasympathetic nervous system, something recommended in the CBT classes I have taken. I have not been in a big enough crisis to try it myself but I wonder how it would compare to popping an Ativan for escaping the mental death spiral.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel a lot of people love J dog for his fascist, transphobic awfulness. But I also feel a whole heap just love hearing pseudo intellectual jugian nonsense droned by a confident voice. It gives a good brain massage. But my golly gosh people there are so many pseudos gurus 🤹 to choose from!! Listen to Krishnamurti, or guy who goes on about reality tunnels, or Alan "Anny!" Watto or rammy dass or Terence McKenna. They are all so soothing and good and make you feel like it's all g g. And they all rock because they aren't loving Jordan Peterson. Hell, there is so so much Joseph Campbell audio on YouTube. Do not follow your barbiturates, you fools.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Psychedelics are still reasonably controversial as a treatment for depression. At this point we can say that they definitely help some people sometimes, but not much data on the probability of you being one of those people. Lots of data on first order / short-term side effects (thank you recreational community), but few longitudinal studies.
Unfortunately the sort of research needed to sort this out is also the type that governments hate permitting, let alone funding.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Butcher posted:

I'm not sure a sasquatch would be as cool about it. I dunno... gotta keep my wits about me.

LOL you fool, sasquach statistically eat far, far more people in urban environments than in the countryside. You'll be fine.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

dr_rat posted:

LOL you fool, sasquach statistically eat far, far more people in urban environments than in the countryside. You'll be fine.

Sasquatches survive on picnic baskets, they’re best friends with yogi bear.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Current research is that you're not safe from sasquatches in any environment due to their psychic ability to travel through dimensions.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ben shapino posted:

I wouldn't say I didn't get high off shrooms, but they definitely hit me less than anyone I've ever traveled alongside. Weed does basically nothing for me, either.

I don't think I'll ever have done enough of either to be an effective case study, but anecdotally, some people just don't respond very strongly to drugs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Mushrooms were great when I did them when I was younger. Maybe 3 times. One of the greatest things was the aura I felt for like 2 or so days afterwards.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yeah, but what if you take psychedelics... With GRAPEFRUIT?!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Samovar posted:

Yeah, but what if you take psychedelics... With GRAPEFRUIT?!

I've been warned about grapefruit a lot with my meds. Especially with buproprion. It can increase the blood levels of certain drugs in your body like 100% or something lol. But like, Costco has these grapefruit cups that are wonderful. Eh....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah I heard the grapefruit thing too about Seroquel. As long as I can still gently caress the grapefruit, I'm good.