Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It really feels like a case of "we want to support a decent one bar build option for everyone, but not have it be min-max worthy, and we have no idea what to do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah, with big emphasis on "we have no idea what to do." I think part of the issue is not understanding who their target market is and how low-mid tier player play.

This is their explanation:

quote:

We’re doubling down on the identity of this Mythic, where it’s meant to be an alternative to running many abilities that would naturally grant you a ton of power in form of duration-based bonuses. Our hope is that the access to a ton of Major and Minor buffs really helps this Mythic stamp itself down as an accessibility option to players who don’t have access to sweaty buff uptimes, group compositions, and high APM. The removal of unique stats takes away any situation where this Mythic felt like a straight upgrade to others and carves a unique spot that is more niche than what was previously seen, but still stands its ground with granting you access to a lot of raw power.

I feel like the more I read about this the more it becomes clear that the underlying problem is the way buffs work in the game. Not just with this, but with a number of trap sets that look good on paper but actually suck.

Make unique buff: overpowered, make named buff: garbage. To me that indicates that the gap between the two is way too large.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
poo poo I just realized I've been thinking this was the same thing as that 12 piece set.

I wonder if 11 pieces of that and this mythic would be crazy powerful or not.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I don't think that 12 piece set is competitive, so no, not really powerful at all.

The thinking would go: 12 piece set, hmm. Well how about 11+mythic? Well how about 10+mythic+1 piece monster? Well how about 9+mythic+2piece monster? Well now Crafty Aliq/Dragur will get you more of your primary stat. Well now you're down to 4 pieces of Druid which got nerfed and are replaceable with 4 pieces of a bunch of other stuff, and now you're not using Druid's braid at all.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't think that 12 piece set is competitive, so no, not really powerful at all.

The thinking would go: 12 piece set, hmm. Well how about 11+mythic? Well how about 10+mythic+1 piece monster? Well how about 9+mythic+2piece monster? Well now Crafty Aliq/Dragur will get you more of your primary stat. Well now you're down to 4 pieces of Druid which got nerfed and are replaceable with 4 pieces of a bunch of other stuff, and now you're not using Druid's braid at all.

Very good point. Now I want 12 mythics!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

12 mythics, but you can't use any skills or move in combat. just light attack and hope the mythics do everything else for you.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

13-piece set that promises access to Whiterun, Solstheim and the Telvanni Peninsula.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How good are support about reversing mistaken purchases? My friend accidentally bought the treasure hunter outfit instead of the personality with his last crowns.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SplitSoul posted:

How good are support about reversing mistaken purchases? My friend accidentally bought the treasure hunter outfit instead of the personality with his last crowns.

Pretty good from what i've heard. "bought the wrong thing" is even an actual category in the ticket creation process. Only question is whether they get to it ín time.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Pretty good from what i've heard. "bought the wrong thing" is even an actual category in the ticket creation process. Only question is whether they get to it ín time.

Yeah, they sorted him right out. Seems like a pretty solid support department.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I accidentally bought a 6 months eso sub for PC instead of Xbox when I was a newbie and the refunded me with a pat on the head no worries.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Credit card issues I've hear they can be hit and miss on and tech support I'm sure sucks as bad as it does everywhere, but crown store stuff they seem good on, and non-bug non player report ingame stuff as well.

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters
dumb question: just started playing again. is there a way to play with goons if i have almost max DK in Daggerfall? old daggerfall guild looks dead, is there a way to swap?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

jestest posted:

dumb question: just started playing again. is there a way to play with goons if i have almost max DK in Daggerfall? old daggerfall guild looks dead, is there a way to swap?
I can invite you to the less dead guild, sure. The guild is EP in name only I don't see any organized things going on, though there are people around and some of those people do PvP.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
So I've never pre-ordered any of the dlc before and I'm wondering what High Isle is going to be like on launch day. Like 100+ people waiting for a delve boss to pop? Kill quests become players scrambling to get the next respawn? That kind of experience? I'm used to pc mmo expac launches where the server is down most of the day, is it like this on console for ESO? Of should I wait like a month or so?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

How important are dungeons to the story? Specifically I finally got around to finishing the Western Skyrim story but have not purchased the two dungeons the connect the Western Skyrim story to The Reach. Will I miss out on anything if I skip the dungeons and start the Reach story? I haven't purchased the last three or so dungeon packs because I couldn't justify paying $15-ish dollars for something I would only play through once.

Is there a free ESO+ weekend anytime soon?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MH Knights posted:

Is there a free ESO+ weekend anytime soon?
There hasn't been one since Oct so your guess is as good as anyone else's whether that means "one is overdue and should come soon" and "maybe they're not doing that anymore." If you had asked me to guess I would have said last week or this week would have been a time for them to do it, so I certainly can't guess.

I can't answer your question about the story.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wasn’t there free eso+ like two weeks ago?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snowy posted:

Wasn’t there free eso+ like two weeks ago?

That was ESO free, not ESO+ as far as I can tell

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

kirbysuperstar posted:

That was ESO free, not ESO+ as far as I can tell

Ahhhh my bad :)

Also I should have taken the suggestion to make nine accounts for a guild bank. I tried making one and it wouldn’t let me log in for some reason and I just gave up but now that I’m refamiliarizing myself with my old characters I see that all their bags are full of dumb crap like treasure maps and surveys but I don’t want to delete them all

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I can invite you to the less dead guild, sure. The guild is EP in name only I don't see any organized things going on, though there are people around and some of those people do PvP.

Is the PVP alliance locked, or can you join anyone for a group now? i'm @jestest in game if you would invite me, I'd appreciate it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

jestest posted:

Is the PVP alliance locked, or can you join anyone for a group now? i'm @jestest in game if you would invite me, I'd appreciate it.
4 campaigns
CP Alliance locked <--- most popular campaign, you pick an alliance, can only enter this campaign with chars of that alliance. You can switch but it costs AP and can't go back in with new alliance until campaign resets, something like that.
CP no lock <--- you can go in with any character, no matter their alliance
No CP <--- like above, no lock. But CP doesn't apply and a bunch of sets don't work because it's also no-proc. So any effect that is conditional doesn't work.
Under level 50 <--- like above, but only chars under 50 can enter.

So as long as two people have characters of the correct alliance you can play with whoever in the middle 2 campaigns. But the campaigns themselves are still alliance vs alliance vs alliance, so two chars of different alliances can't play together in cyro.

There are also Battlegrounds which are 4v4v4 alliance doesn't matter for those.

You can also buy alliance change tokens if you're way into pvp and need a specific character to be in a specific alliance really badly.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Snowy posted:

Ahhhh my bad :)

Also I should have taken the suggestion to make nine accounts for a guild bank. I tried making one and it wouldn’t let me log in for some reason and I just gave up but now that I’m refamiliarizing myself with my old characters I see that all their bags are full of dumb crap like treasure maps and surveys but I don’t want to delete them all
treasure maps and surveys can't go into guild banks. But yes, personal guild bank is really nice quality of life. I think the next free to play thing will be in August.

noveria
Feb 24, 2015
I've had the game installed for ages, but kept getting distracted by other MMOs. I've finally been running around doing random questlines and trying out a few classes, and would like an invite to the main Chill Bros guild if possible just to have some people to talk with while I'm figuring out which way is up, if possible. ID is @ririmu - thanks!

Edit: Thank you!

noveria fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 31, 2022

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
What was that pvp quest line you can do really quick to get the run speed buff?

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Lysandus posted:

It was the siege weapon tutorial, but Rapid Maneuver is a little further into the Assault skill line now, so you have to do a bit more to get it. I think a battleground or two, or tagging along for some keep assaults in Cyrodiil will cover you.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Poe posted:

It was the siege weapon tutorial, but Rapid Maneuver is a little further into the Assault skill line now, so you have to do a bit more to get it. I think a battleground or two, or tagging along for some keep assaults in Cyrodiil will cover you.

Alternately, you can pick up alliance points from the free daily rewards calendar until you're at level 3 (it'll even give you a free skill point for it).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

For real, run a few battlegrounds. Literally just a few and you'll have that skill made available.

Run around with your team, shooting dudes. embrace the good fun chaos for a few minutes

Deathmatch, no cp. Shot mans, get skills.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lysandus posted:

Do you actually want that for the run speed buff? The horse speed was moved to a passive. I can't think of much non-pvp reason for the skill that costs a ton of stam to give you group some run speed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

wrong thread, somehow

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Do you actually want that for the run speed buff? The horse speed was moved to a passive. I can't think of much non-pvp reason for the skill that costs a ton of stam to give you group some run speed.

I didn't realize this had happened. So now your horse speed is your speed even when unmounted?

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Lysandus posted:

I didn't realize this had happened. So now your horse speed is your speed even when unmounted?

No. Rapid Maneuver does both, since Major and Minor Expedition are just general move speed buffs (and one of the morphs will make it apply both Major and Minor at once). The Continuous Attack passive, which I completely forgot had that move speed passive added, does Major Gallop, which is only mounted speed.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah sorry if I wasn't clear. Rapid Maneuver used to give run speed and horse speed as two separate buffs on one skill application. For 95%+ of people the only reason they wanted it was for the horse buff, not the running buff. A year ago they split the two buffs so the run speed part is still exclusive to the active skill Rapid Maneuver, but the horse speed part is now in the passive continuous attack.

If you actually want RM for the run speed then yeah you need to get it and continually use it for its giant stam cost. But if you were just remembering that it used to make horsey go fast and wanted that part, I wanted to point out that part was now in a passive.

The cost for RM is clearly balanced around it being a group buff, and being a short burst skill, which is why it doesn't seem very useful in PVE. There aren't really many reasons why a group needs the speed buff in terms of content, and if you just want it for yourself you're probably better off getting gear that does it if you want it for harvesting or overland questing or something. Adept rider or Coward's gear aren't great fighting sets, but they're decent sets for overland that give major expedition. Ring of the Wild Hunt is a Mythic that gives 15% in combat and 45% out of combat as a unique buff. The swift trait on jewelry gives quite a bit too. Nightblades and Wardens and sorcs all have speed granting class skills. There are definitely tradeoffs to all of these, but 6K stam for 8 seconds is also a huge cost on RM, especially since sprinting also is depleting your stam.

I'm not saying there's no reason to get RM for run speed, I just think it's a very narrow application outside of group pvp.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Just started playing this on PC, would someone be able to give me an invite to the Goon guild please. On NA server, account name "BarPatron", character name "The Lusty Argonian Erpist". Thank you very much :love:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Note there is also a Goon crafting guild called Deconstruct Circlejerk that has a lot of useful crafting stuff in it. Unfortunately I do not have invite privileges so i cannot accept join requests.

MH Knights fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 4, 2022

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011

MH Knights posted:

Note there is also a Goon crafting guild called Deconstruct Circlejerk that has a lot of useful crafting stuff in it. Unfortunately I do not invite privileges so i cannot help anyone join.

Ahh that'd be super useful to be a part of

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
High Isle release day!

Excited to try out some 1-bar builds. Hopefully the last two leads aren't a huge pain to get.

PCNA down until 3pm EDT after being up for all of 20 mins around 9am.

Not surprised but at the same time bit bummed out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Broad question: Is this any good now? I've kind of eyed trying it again but was always thrown off by the MMO-ness.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Broad question: Is this any good now? I've kind of eyed trying it again but was always thrown off by the MMO-ness.

Well it's an MMO..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Another stellar expansion launch.