Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was watching an episode of Bad Batch that had a few neat ships in it.

Cad Bane's Justifier is a neat but weird design. They actually toned down some of the more eccentric bits from the original concept art from the scrapped season of Clone Wars, but most importantly, they took out some of the cutouts to make it plausible for to have cells in there for prisoners. It still has the whole deal with the extending/rotating arms in back.

Fennec Shand's ship looks pretty sleek and fast as Star Wars ships go, and presumably it has a decent space for carrying people or cargo.

Something I think is pretty unique about these ships is that usually with Star Wars ships, anything bigger than a fighter will have a copilot seat, and often a few passenger seats in the cockpit to really get a whole RPG party amount of people in there. But these two ships both explicitly have one person cockpits. Real nice high-visibility deals too, but no place for a copilot. Better hope the autopilot can save you if something goes wrong.

It seems like a thing that would only really make sense for a bounty hunter, because most any ship for long journeys would include a copilot seat if there's room, and there's not really many situations you wouldn't want to have a spare pilot for if there's room, or even just a place for a passenger, because it's reasonable to expect a ship that size to have passengers at some point, and they'd want to see what's happening up front. These are sizable ships designed to be operated and used by just one person, as opposed to all the ships around that size that are meant for like an RPG party to operate out of.

There were also some Saiyan pods that aren't really spaceships, but apparently Kaminoans use them to get around. I don't think they've ever been depicted actually working as intended though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is just One-One from Infinity Train

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is just One-One from Infinity Train

:hmmyes:

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
This here is Niezwyciężony (The Invincible) as depicted in the graphic novel adaptation of Stanisław Lem's, well, "The Invincible" (as seen on the first and last pages):

And here you can see it the trailer for the graphic novel itself (sadly, the GN itself was not translated)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIQ7ZAP6D7U

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bossks ship without the wings

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/PapaPandamonium/status/1530335877368582147 https://twitter.com/PapaPandamonium/status/1529441473581686784

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The D-7/K'tinga battlecruiser held my imagination since the first time I saw it (I think it was the first spaceship model I built), and in all its incarnations over the years, still looks badass. There's no real definitive layout of the interior, but I like to imagine the crew is all clustered into the pod on the front, like it's a Ju-88.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now the question is: is it wearing a hat or a Geordi visor?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Now the question is: is it wearing a hat or a Geordi visor?

It's a happy little frog on a lily pad, obvs.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I like the idea that the long neck is required due to how the cloaking devices worked, but then again that wasn't even a thing until Star Trek 3 last-minute changed the Bird of Prey from a stolen Romulan ship to just Klingon.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

jeeves posted:

I like the idea that the long neck is required due to how the cloaking devices worked, but then again that wasn't even a thing until Star Trek 3 last-minute changed the Bird of Prey from a stolen Romulan ship to just Klingon.

I heard it was because Klingons run their drives real dirty, so it's Imperials up in the command pod and slave races in the engineering spaces.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The opening swing-over here's just a gorgeous shot, they detailed the hell out of those models and then put all that detail to excellent use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7GRKG25YFU

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 18, 2022

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
some cool looking ships in upcoming RPG Torchship by goon open_sketchbook

https://twitter.com/open_sketchbook/status/1535879912892014595

https://twitter.com/open_sketchbook/status/1535163658950811649

https://twitter.com/open_sketchbook/status/1527541105054601221

https://twitter.com/open_sketchbook/status/1521213018461421569

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
drat, those are some fine old school designs made all shiny and new.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Madurai posted:

The D-7/K'tinga battlecruiser held my imagination since the first time I saw it (I think it was the first spaceship model I built), and in all its incarnations over the years, still looks badass. There's no real definitive layout of the interior, but I like to imagine the crew is all clustered into the pod on the front, like it's a Ju-88.

That design just screams menace from every angle.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Obligatory excellent hypothetical floorplans for the K'Tinga.

I fukken love any of those Strategic Design floorplans, even if the original Constitution Enterprise seems a little too small.

Edit - the JBOT blueprints for the Constitution seem a lot more realistic for a star ship that goes out into the unknown for 5 year spans, size-wise.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 18, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

That design just screams menace from every angle.

Funnily enough the original concepts for it are pretty stinkin' cute

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

Obligatory excellent hypothetical floorplans for the K'Tinga.

I fukken love any of those Strategic Design floorplans, even if the original Constitution Enterprise seems a little too small.

Edit - the JBOT blueprints for the Constitution seem a lot more realistic for a star ship that goes out into the unknown for 5 year spans, size-wise.

There's been a few Klingon ones over the years. The Strategic Design ones are still vaguely under rights but I did add the earlier 1970s McMaster ones to my browser at one point.

(I actually got permission to do the JBot ones at one point too, I need to set up an en mass conversion and do those at one point)

(Don't spread that browser around it's very much a hobby project WIP) (and thus may be broken for you :shrug:)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MikeJF posted:

Funnily enough the original concepts for it are pretty stinkin' cute

So this whole time I've watched Star Trek i never realized that Klingon ships are an inverted version of starfleet profiles with a round bridge instead of a saucer.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Wasn’t the enterprise originally designed upside down?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

a sexual elk posted:

One of the avenues explored during conception, yes.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Supposedly Gene had some rough rules for how nacelles needed to be arranged on warp drive starships.

Warp nacelles *must* be in pairs.
Warp nacelles must have at least 50% line-of-sight on each other across the hull.
Both warp nacelles must be fully visible from the front.
The bridge must be located at the top center of the primary hull.

This helps explain why the Klingon ships have a similar arrangement to the federation ships.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

a sexual elk posted:

The Reliant was, sort of. The original plan had the nacelles on top, but the person who approved the designs signed off on it in a way that made it clear he had been looking at it upside-down. The designers spent some time deciding whether to reply pointing this out, but ended up just rolling with it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Enterprise was designed the way it was, but when they were presenting the models to Rodenberry it rolled over and he liked it so much they nearly went with the upside-down version, Jeffries had to talk him out of it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bucnasti posted:

Supposedly Gene had some rough rules for how nacelles needed to be arranged on warp drive starships.

Warp nacelles *must* be in pairs.
Warp nacelles must have at least 50% line-of-sight on each other across the hull.
Both warp nacelles must be fully visible from the front.
The bridge must be located at the top center of the primary hull.

This helps explain why the Klingon ships have a similar arrangement to the federation ships.

This is why the d'dredrex has that negative space in the middle, so the nacelles can see each other.

This does not explain the bird of prey or ferengi marauder lacking that design aspect.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

twistedmentat posted:

This is why the d'dredrex has that negative space in the middle, so the nacelles can see each other.

This does not explain the bird of prey or ferengi marauder lacking that design aspect.

You can't really expect continuity and consistency from a man blasted out of his mind on coke and pills.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Or several others. They dropped the requirement as time went on.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

IIRC, Gene only put these rules in place after Franz Joseph's Technical Manual came out and he saw it making profit that he wasn't capitalizing on. The single and three nacelled designs were his ticket to declare arbitrary rules and slow the Manual's sales.

I could be pulling this memory from my rear end.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

The Marauder has a concave underside, so the nacelles have line of sight. I don't recall any explanation for the Bird of Prey though. Maybe there's a tunnel between the nacelles inside the ship.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

The Marauder has a concave underside, so the nacelles have line of sight. I don't recall any explanation for the Bird of Prey though. Maybe there's a tunnel between the nacelles inside the ship.

The nacelles on the BoP are those two humps on the back of the ship, so they can see each other in both wings down and wings up positions.

Or at least that's how Star Trek Online depicts them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You can't really expect continuity and consistency from a man blasted out of his mind on coke and pills.

This is true. Coke, pills and harassing the women around him.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

You know the one I had as a model when was I was a teen had a flat bottom. I never knew that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Roddenberry didn't have any hard creative control over the movies after The Motion Picture, so the Bird of Prey not confirming to his rules isn't really on him

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Jintozook81 posted:

Main ship from Infinite Fleet.

This is literally just SDF-1 and Whitebase (Macross and Gundam, the two big Japanese mecha franchises of their era)...

I don't hate it, but I don't think its a very imaginative combination.

Can you guys think of any ship designs where you squint and just see other ship designs?

Also here, I'm curious to know what you guys think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzwBB8ZPNyc

Possibly one of my favourite channels on all of Youtube, and very high quality posting.
Its a crime that more people don't follow his work.

What do you think of the brick-gun-slop-ship problem?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Less people follow him because he sounds like a pretentious poo poo head fanboy.

Like I gave up after 3 minutes because he was just jerking himself off over how awesome he was and stating that there is "A PROBLEM" without ever actually laying out what THE PROBLEM is.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

CainFortea posted:

Less people follow him because he sounds like a pretentious poo poo head fanboy.

Like I gave up after 3 minutes because he was just jerking himself off over how awesome he was and stating that there is "A PROBLEM" without ever actually laying out what THE PROBLEM is.

I'll be sure to pass that on lol

he is very anti-fanboy energy though once he gets going and he does a lot of ironyposting so idk, poe's law is at work here I think

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 19, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

You know the one I had as a model when was I was a teen had a flat bottom. I never knew that.

It was a Probert design, which meant nothing was simply flat and the whole thing was made of complex curves that the model-makers cursed him over.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MikeJF posted:

The Enterprise was designed the way it was, but when they were presenting the models to Rodenberry it rolled over and he liked it so much they nearly went with the upside-down version, Jeffries had to talk him out of it.

I had heard he liked the upside-down version, but signed the drawing the wrong way, so when the model makers got the drawing, they had to flip it over so that the signature was right-side up making the ship appear as it does.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Roddenberry didn't have any hard creative control over the movies after The Motion Picture, so the Bird of Prey not confirming to his rules isn't really on him

The Bird of Prey is entirely the fault of Nilo Rodis at ILM, and to a lesser extent Harve Bennett and Nimoy; the latter two didn't really care about designs. Which is how we got the Romulan Bird of Prey becoming a Klingon vessel, even though they'd never had avian imagery before, and the idiotic mushroom design for Spacedock.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The BoP is the best designed ship in trek so who cares if it breaks nerd rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The original Bird of Prey was designed to be a stolen Federation design before that was cut and it was just made Romulan, so it fits that the movie Bird of Prey was designed to be a stolen Romulan ship before that was cut and it was just made Klingon.

(I wonder if the original plan before that was cut was that after Balance of Terror they'd repaint it in Federation colours and have it show up as a Fed ship)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 20, 2022