Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Julias posted:

I modified the mayakashi mill deck someone posted earlier in here and have been making a surprising amount of progress with it. I'm already in Diamond 3.

Oh drat, I ported some of these changes in and it got me to Platinum for the first time. Most of these were on the radar before (Kozuki wasn't, I didn't know that existed), but sometimes you don't know which cards aren't pulling their weight until you see someone else ditch them.

Now I'm in the difficulty range of 'figure out what to do against Swordsoul'. Fortunately, it seems like most Swordsoul players don't know what to do against me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Just saw a Duel Live match with the stall bot. Which would have been funny on its own, except the other player pulled off Dark Strike Fighter FTK.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ya know gotta say, i think simorgh might have been a mistake

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ya know gotta say, i think simorgh might have been a mistake

There's a reason it was banned in the TCG

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Julias posted:

I was actually able to get out from under the lock and then the tri-brigade player won anyway

I wiped thier whole board lmao. Took every card in my hand...lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

girl dick energy posted:

Considering if Infernoid Labrynth might have legs as a fun unexpected gimmick deck, since access to Void Feast and Grinning Grave Virus with Labrynth Setting could get pretty looney tunes pretty quickly.
Update: Too many moving parts, but I have high hopes that I'll be able to figure out a more pure Labrynth turbo Virus deck, especially since my friend who's way better than me is extremely hype about the archetype, too.

In the mean time, started loving around with a N/R Phantasm Spiral Paleozoics. It's a remarkably fun build, even if I'm probably playing an extremely subpar version that needs lots of work.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Julias posted:

Because the tcg fears power.

It's why Mystic Mine is at 3.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The TCG has Mystic Mine at 3 because they threw tantrums about all the other cards that tell combo players to slow the gently caress down.

It's Maxx C. and friends or Mystic Mine, and they all rejected Maxx C. and friends!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, I prefer Mystic Mine being legal to Maxx C, at least in a best of 3 format.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

girl dick energy posted:

Honestly, I prefer Mystic Mine being legal to Maxx C, at least in a best of 3 format.

Please god no, Mystic Mine turns off gaming, Maxx C amplifies gaming capacity.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

Please god no, Mystic Mine turns off gaming, Maxx C amplifies gaming capacity.

Love my gaming capacity when a metadeck in MD full comboes and then adds a Maxx C on top of that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Maxx C actually advances the game state and it's much more easily outed with how much hand-trap hate there exist.

Mystic Mine is made to absolutely lock down the game so that either 1 or both players don't get to play. You either set the lock early and just wait til you get your OTK OR you set it on the crack back and just wait out the game. The amount of times I've just gone to deck out because of a turn 5/6 mystic mine is more than I can count on my hand and that alone makes it a card worth banning. It just sucks rear end.

Like Maxx C at least adds some level of decision making. Do you shut down early and wall up to weather the enemies turn or do you go full bore? How many draws are you willing to let your opponent get to set up something?

Mystic Mine is literally "Sit and wait til you draw the out (Sometimes multiple outs required) or die because the opponent is playing a deck that can kill with 0-1 monsters summoned." As seen in the YCS last weekend.

Cleretic posted:

It's Maxx C. and friends or Mystic Mine, and they all rejected Maxx C. and friends!

Bring them all back. At least they'll kill me fast.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, fair point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jeff's Mystic Mine is honestly one of the least good versions of and it's still incredibly consistent and good.

As a child I played Area b Gravity Bind Raging flame sprite wave motion cannon lock down burn and it's basically that but your opponent has even fewer chances to respond and it's all enabled by a single easily searchable card

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly even if we do reach a point again where it isn't the only way to tell a combo player to slow the gently caress down, I'd be more on board with giving Mystic Mine an errata to take away the more powerful edge cases than just banning it.

I think the worst part of its actual design is that while it has an in-built self-destruct condition, it's incredibly easy to build a deck that never once triggers it by never having monsters in the first place. So maybe it'd be less frustrating to see it also destroy itself if there's no monsters on the field at all, or possibly to make it a jacked-up Kaiser Coliseum by borrowing its mechanic that it does nothing if the user's got no monsters. Basically, to either way force the Mystic Mine player to play monsters, even if they're gonna be a weirdo about it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Mine DOES blow itself up if there's no monsters on the field at all, doesn't it? The problem is it only checks during the End Phase, so if you have some way of giving your opponent monsters, it'll survive.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

serefin99 posted:

Mine DOES blow itself up if there's no monsters on the field at all, doesn't it? The problem is it only checks during the End Phase, so if you have some way of giving your opponent monsters, it'll survive.

Wait, no, you're right on that one, I remembered why it usually blew up on me when playing a Mystic Mine-Timelords deck.

I guess the Kaiser Coliseum angle would probably be the thing, then.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
If the game slows down enough that my lovely GX era stall deck is relevant again I may cry. So many rage quits in WC2008.

*fake edit*

Maybe if there's another N/R event I'll bring back some variant of this with at better knowledge of deck building.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Maxx C Challenge rules and the TCG should bring i back

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I love maxx c, drawing cards owns

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You know what? You're right.

Ban Mystic Mine but bring back Kaiser Colosseum. (I still fully believe that the main reason it got banned is that it's a rulings nightmare, not because of power.)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm surprised Mystic Mine did so well when the Adventurer engine is still around and very easily outs it. I guess a lot of the top decks can't actually play it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I wish there’s something to counter this whole negate(s) shenanigans of modern meta. If only Witch’s Strike is a counter trap or quick play and everyone pack it…

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nyaa posted:

I wish there’s something to counter this whole negate(s) shenanigans of modern meta. If only Witch’s Strike is a counter trap or quick play and everyone pack it…

I've seen someone speculate about a Witch's Strike-Yatagarasu combo, and it hurts me how that's almost viable. Like, technically speaking that combo works, but Witch's Strike being so slow and a frustrating amount of negate sources being immune to its destruction means that you'll never see it pan out.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
You do have nebiru and the kaijus for uninteractable ways to counter negates, altho im not sure if they can get pass the simorgh lock if its been established

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Also it doesnt matter since they can just rebuild the board

Funnily enough cyber dragons have an out to simorgh in thier extra deck but of course, thats a special summon...rip

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nibiru is actually an effect to activate it, so it's actually quite counterable if the negate destroys/banishes it as well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Julias posted:

Nibiru is actually an effect to activate it, so it's actually quite counterable if the negate destroys/banishes it as well.

Ah, sorry. i prefer kaijus so i didnt know that, my b

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Julias posted:

Nibiru is HOPT so negating it means its dead in your hand.

(Unless its activation was negated in which case you can, but most activation negation also destroys/removes so you need a second copy)
No, since Nibiru says "you can only use...once per turn" negated activations count towards that.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 1, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm genuinely considering maindecking Sphere Mode for the Swordsoul Tenyi mirror in MD.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sphere mode is awkward since their most common endboard is just 2 monsters and it locks you out of the normal.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Swordsoul, any tips for how to deal with Token Collector?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Iserlohn posted:

Speaking of Swordsoul, any tips for how to deal with Token Collector?
Kaiju?

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
lol need that wyrm kaiju

I don't know if there's a smart way to sequence plays like hold off on ecclesia effect, or if I'm really just hoping to draw removal.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Iserlohn posted:

lol need that wyrm kaiju

I don't know if there's a smart way to sequence plays like hold off on ecclesia effect, or if I'm really just hoping to draw removal.
Lean into your Tenyi plays? That's still 'draw answers', but at least that answer can be 'Link Summon Draco Masters' or 'banish Vishuda from GY'.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah, you can also go for the 2x Tenyi synchro plays unimpeded.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

good lord I wish losses would drop you down in rank. bots got me up to bronze and people have real, complete decks here

please send me back to baby dumbshit land :negative:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PenguinKnight posted:

good lord I wish losses would drop you down in rank. bots got me up to bronze and people have real, complete decks here

If you're struggling in bronze than your deck must be total garbage. Might be time to upgrade past starter deck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I gotta admit, I'm curious what you're playing that isn't even working in Bronze. Do you mind sharing your decklist? We might be able to help by pointing out any obvious flaws we see with the deck, which will give you a better base for learning the game from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice on Swordsoul! It would be more ideal to get the Tenyi's in rotation. I was running a very greedy version of the deck with DPE and, erm, Metaltron XII...

PenguinKnight posted:

It's rough with the season reset. I remember some seasons where I would see full power drytron, tri-zoo, etc in silver. I guess some people de-ranked even further.