Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Suzera posted:

Empyrion v1.8 and new HWS+ is coming June 7. HWS is a large community Empyrion server with maybe a few hundred players that cycle in? Not entirely sure of the exact amount, but the official HWS discord gets a lot of traffic. At least several people on the Sandcastle Kicker discord are going to give it a shot starting launch day if anyone here wants to join in and have fun building or maybe be a menace for a while. Discord link: https://discord.gg/Y5JPZ2qKAw

Here's the given preview information so far for the upcoming HWS+: https://prezi.com/view/CZXN7Xt6pubgp4ASdXWc/

Yeah, that's hard to navigate. The only thing that seems highly worth looking at if you haven't played HWS+ before other than the synopsis in the next sentence is the universe map. There's a class system, a fair number of pvp planets, an elemental type matchup for weapons and armor (???), some kind of boss progression thing, and isn't so big you'll never run into people like the 10000 stars in Reforged Eden since it looks like there's maybe a few dozen stars and maybe 4x as many sectors.

Sometimes we do stuff like Minecraft, Project Zombiod or 7 Days to Die as well if you want to join and hang out in case those come up again in the future.

My take is there's a lot more neat systems than Minecraft but there's even less survival pressure once you figure out how to stab things for food. At least the last time I played it, the timestorm stuff was actually pretty boring and relatively easy to deal with.
I can't remember the last time i actually played a game with someone other than my wife and I've been looking at Emperyon for awhile now. I may have to give this a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I can't remember the last time i actually played a game with someone other than my wife and I've been looking at Emperyon for awhile now. I may have to give this a shot.
You're welcome to hang out with us.

Also, apparently 1.8 main branch release and subsequently the new HWS+ release got delayed a week to June 14. So a couple weeks out.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Empyrion is great, but I always lose interest once I make it out of the starting solar system with a warp drive. There’s a lot of hours before that happens though, and I enjoy the early game survival and raiding npc bases immensely. Haven’t played since 1.5 though so maybe it’s time to try again.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
that was the one where you couldn't turn on a bike, right? and still makes you individually unlock blocks?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Surprised I hadn't seen this yet.

Necesse

quote:

Begin your adventure and explore the infinite procedurally generated world of Necesse. Mine, fight, craft, and gear up to conquer powerful enemies that drop unique items. Establish a settlement, travel to other islands with unique biomes, monsters, loot, and recruit settlers on your way.

You can play solo or fight monsters and bosses together with friends from the beginning until the end. Choose your weapon and gear to fight, change it up at any time, or mix and match to find the best setup for the situation.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1169040/Necesse/

It has heaps of glowing reviews and its only $6.69.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, sounds awesome. I saw it on steam but never clicked on the page

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Necesse is fun. Terraria vibes but something about the top-down perspective makes it way more attractive to me and I don't feel as overwhelmed trying to fight all the time.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

VegasGoat posted:

Empyrion is great, but I always lose interest once I make it out of the starting solar system with a warp drive. There’s a lot of hours before that happens though, and I enjoy the early game survival and raiding npc bases immensely. Haven’t played since 1.5 though so maybe it’s time to try again.
Vanilla kind of ends there imo. Maybe after getting some zascosium and erestrum for a CV shield. Reforged Eden, the current most popular scenario/modpacks, adds a lot of stuff that give you more to do in more places. It's kind of like playing modded vs vanilla minecraft, though it's more on pois than adding machines or whatnot. It has many, many more pois and more factions and secrets and a few long exploration quests. I think it goes overboard on the systems though since there's like 5000 of them but only enough unique content for a few hundred maybe.

HWS hasn't been updated in 1.5 years and we'll see if HWS+ in a couple weeks can regain it's popularity too, and it also has a lot more stuff over vanilla. It leans a bit more towards pvp, but it also has plenty of pve specific new content, an mmoish progression story and is generally designed around larger scale multiplayer.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 1, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

Necesse

HopperUK posted:

Necesse is fun. Terraria vibes but something about the top-down perspective makes it way more attractive to me and I don't feel as overwhelmed trying to fight all the time.

^^^ This is a totally accurate review of Necesse imo. I'd recommend it as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I picked it up before I left the house and I can’t wait to dig in later

Thanks for the information! It does look right up my alley.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

tildes posted:

^^^ This is a totally accurate review of Necesse imo. I'd recommend it as well.

Another recommendation here, played it all afternoon and it scratches the Terraria itch way better than Keplerth

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Theres a playtest for a new one where you play as one of Ponce de Leons guys stranded on an island looking for the fountain of youth.
I clicked on playtest and got in immedietely.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1967630/Survival_Fountain_of_Youth/

"You are a member of Juan Ponce de Leon's expedition in search of the Fountain of Youth, based on an actual historic event of the Age of Discovery. After surviving a shipwreck, you need to learn to live on an uninhabited island: hunt, gather and manage resources, build shelters, discover new technologies, develop skills, resist diseases, cope with weather conditions, fight predators, and much more. Your main goal is to Survive. Your secondary goals are to figure out the fate of an extinct Indian civilization and to look for your shipwrecked crew, explore the islands, and maybe find the Fountain of Youth."

e: its very unforgiving.
Crafting/harvesting takes time. Tools have low durability.
I've been bitten by a snake and now some creature that looks like a large squirrel keeps chasing and biting me.
Cant find a rock to make a new cutter.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 2, 2022

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

I washed ashore and was torn apart by angry birds and rabid skunks almost immediately.

The tiny inventory is also a real turn off. Seemed like you get to pick two survival items in the beginning, I suppose I could have grabbed the backpack.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Finally the Aquirre:Wrath of god survival game i've been waiting for

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

That game sure seems like “assets I bought for cheap slapped together to grab cash” but maybe I’m just cynical

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly there's some cool ideas here. I wasn't expecting the closest game for comparison to be The Long Dark but the way it handles its flow of play is very similar. Tasks, from harvesting to crafting, take up the bulk of your day, as time sort of fast forwards while you perform long actions. You have to balance immediate needs with long term goals. There's a lot of status effects to consider, including minor ones like sun exposure and sunburn, as well as just having a somewhat upset stomach. Rest can be less restful depending on your condition.
The granularity of tasks and statuses opens up the gamespace a bit too. As an example, heavy labor like felling a tree or using blade crafting can result in injury, but the chance is very low. However if you're working at night or in the dark, that chance can go up, so you'll want a light source even if the game itself is still bright enough to navigate the island, thus not relying on pitch black graphics to make night hazardous to your character.

It needs a lot of balancing yet, though. Every resource seems to take 20 minutes per unit to complete, so grabbing 5 flowers off a bird of paradise with your bare hands will take you over an hour and a half. Enemy combat is weird but far from the worst I've played. I actually kind of like the power attack timing system, if I'm being honest. But the amount of stuff to do and craft is demo limited and it's hard to know how much more the full game will expand on it.

Definitely grab the backpack at the start though. Backpack + knife seems like a solid combo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

It is kind of an asset grab looking game atm, but yeah it does have potential.
Its menus inv/craft really remind me of Mist Survival if anyone played that.
Another survival game as yet unfinished.

I grabbed the backpack and bag with gun/ammo, but didnt see a way to get the gun out.
I was frustrated on the ship, you can grab 2 of these 8 things, and one is a backpack.
Well, why not just let me put them all in the loving backpack?

e: Here's some gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b_lLYcfzog

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 3, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OgNar posted:

I was frustrated on the ship, you can grab 2 of these 8 things, and one is a backpack.
Well, why not just let me put them all in the loving backpack?
I think it's trying to do a "you only have time to grab two things, which do you take" moment but can't properly express the time limit and urgency. It's the same reason you can't just put the coat on, you have to use one of your only two slots to grab it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I also signed up for the search for the Fountain of youth.

The times needed to make anything are completely ridiculous (in-game). 38 minutes to pick up a stone or a leaf from a tree, an hour to place five leaves on the ground. I understand it's all related to the length of the day, but still it just feels funny.

The game is pretty laggy for me and open fields kill my FPS, but I guess that's to be expected from an early beta.

e: How do you harvest meat from animal carcass? I've been hitting the bird for a while but no option to get raw meat, and there's no prompt AFAIK.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 3, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TeaJay posted:

e: How do you harvest meat from animal carcass? I've been hitting the bird for a while but no option to get raw meat, and there's no prompt AFAIK.

Not all animals yield meat, and even then there are some where it varies between individuals. One skunk might have harvestable meat while another doesn't. If a corpse has stuff you can harvest, a prompt will come up to say so, and you just hit E to gather resources the same as you would with trees or plants. The carcass seems to stay around afterwards, still though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Survival Simulation Megathread: I've been hitting the bird for a while

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was mapping the island in a tree and an animal knocked me down and I died

I don't suppose there's a way to get your stuff back if you die? I had like, everything on me. It effectively means a restart.

Unlike Long Dark, the hardest thing has been to find enough sticks and stones. And like in many other survival games, you can't pick up a stone you see lying around, it has to be a particular one.

e: Okay, apparently you are supposed to find your stuff when you faint, I just can't find it anywhere. Whenever I try to map the drat place something attacks me and I die

ee: Don't go all the way up the tree to finish mapping safely (also your stuff will be in a small bag obscured by grass)

eee: And apparently when you lose all your six "faints", that's it, permadeath, new game. Wow, that is unforgiving. I dunno how I feel about that. Aside from I have absolutely no desire to start a new game from scratch right now, even though I was having fun.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 3, 2022

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah I put in an hour or two, seems promising so far. Long Dark comparisons are pretty apt.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After playing a bit more and watching a friend play I'm pleasantly surprised on how finished the game feels. Sure there are frustrating aspects: enemy aggro range, crafting / harvesting times, lack of basic materials... But it's been very fun to play. I've played plenty EA games that are way worse and had to pay money on Steam, and this was a free demo.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Can't wait to find the Fountain of Youth so I can spend eternity running from squirrels and eating skunk meat

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TeaJay posted:

After playing a bit more and watching a friend play I'm pleasantly surprised on how finished the game feels. Sure there are frustrating aspects: enemy aggro range, crafting / harvesting times, lack of basic materials... But it's been very fun to play. I've played plenty EA games that are way worse and had to pay money on Steam, and this was a free demo.
I'm hopeful but the demo's very content light and I'm looking forward to more of that infrastructure the game was hyping up with its various crafting and processing stations.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Wrong thread.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 4, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Incidentally, they just dropped a big patch for Fountain of Youth which adds many very useful QOL features.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1967630/view/3321980888435372612

quote:

Hello, survivors! New patch is ready and it is all about the feedback you gave us. We want to thank each and everyone sending us tips and reports, together we are making our game better.

IMPORTANT NOTE: due to many changes in this update youll need to copy your save files if you want to continue playing with your achieved progress. Guide is here:

"How to keep your save file
Instructions on keeping your playtest progress after a patch release"

It is possible that for some players they might get corrupted. If it is the latter, we can only apologize and advise you to start over. Which might be worth it for everyone as game balance, level design, graphics and tons of other improvements were made.

Game balance

Complete rebalance of the timings. Yes, just like that. So many things have gotten faster to pick, cut and craft the list of changes would be enormous. We believe that this will let you take much more actions during the day than you used to and have more focus on exploring and adventures rather than running back and forth between the nearest hill and your camp. What a time to survive!

Rebalance of vitals drain. As many actions became faster it required some tweaking of how fast you lose your food, water, and stamina ratios. It was done for each difficulty mode individually.

Starting a fire. You cant really do anything without a fire, so we slightly decreased the time needed to ignite it and also redesigned its interface to make everything more obvious.

Some of the statuses dont block healing. We might have been too rough on players who like to play a little bit more casually on normal and easy difficulty modes. For them, we still allow healing while sleeping if you got a 1st level cut, sunburn, and runny nose. But only that.

Gameplay

Long sticks. We hear you. Long sticks became the final boss for many players who were struggling to find them. Fair enough, the first batch of Jurema Preta trees is now located much closer to the starting point, you just cant miss it. Or can you?

Cartography. Someone left a spare rope in the grotto, so completing the first quest with the cartographers tree is easier now. We just really want everyone to try it and to understand the importance of mapping.

Skipping time. This feature just outlived itself. No need to press dashes while you craft anything, it runs faster on its own.

Save slots. Added a couple in case you need to run several playthroughs. We hope 4 save slots will be enough. Enjoy!

Cutting things down. Axes matter. Enough with chopping down plants with a small cutter, from now on you are going to need an axe for it. This is obligatory.

Fishing. All fishing spots and sea vessels were equipped with fishing stands. Now you need to interact with them instead of the body of water to start fishing.

Snakes and scorpions. Chances of getting poisoned by those fellas have been increased.

Living water. Living water is good for you and we made it even better, so now it also gives you some healing.

Health potion. And speaking of health we also made a health potion recipe unlocked from the start in the playtest version.

Yellow leaves. They can be obtained from the palm trees and they also look different now. We will miss you, old yellow leaves, and hooray to the new yellow leaves!

Skunks and Dogs. Skunks are Short-eared dogs now. But they still fight and sound like good ol Skunks.

Canopy. You can now build a primitive canopy over your camp (or anywhere else) to protect yourself from rain and sunlight.

Stopping blow. Can you actually protect yourself from the animals? You always could, but we noticed many people couldnt really figure it out. Now there is a hint on how to do a devastating stopping blow properly and leave unharmed. Stay safe.

Global map

Sea travels. Resources, vitals drain and time needed were reduced for the sake of better balance.

Storms. You can now encounter a dangerous storm while sailing in the open sea. Be careful.

Fainting

Lost items. Once you faint, you lose your items. You can pick them up again on the same spot (you knew this, right?), but the information window also shows you how many items were gone.

Death bag. Actually, it is called a Dropped bag, but in this case, it is more obvious. It is now much bigger and easier to find.

Graphics and Effects

Trees and plants. Everything was updated. They all look better now, have more beautiful and realistic shadows, and, most importantly, are better optimized.

Bleeding. Just added some bleeding effects when you poke the animals.

Rain in the grotto. It must not rain inside the grotto, so it doesnt anymore.

Signal fire. Made some important fixes and visually improved it. Which is great, as you can see it from everywhere.

Intro

The chest on the ship. Completely reworked the menu of picking your starting kit from the pile of items in the captains chest. We agree, it was very confusing.

Cutscenes

Improved quality. Everything from lighting, performance, composition, and quality of textures to sounds was drastically improved. And we also added a voiceover, hope you like it, we think it is amazing and brings a very fine atmosphere to the game.

Technical issues and other bugs

Spots where you can get stuck. There were some reports about places in the rocky areas where you could accidentally get stuck with no chance to get out. All of them are fixed.

Fainting in the open sea. You are not losing your ship and your belongings if you fainted there.

Climbing down from the cartographers tree. Freefall is a cool thing but not when you end up dead. Now it is safe even if you press shift.

Wooden spear. By the unfortunate turn of events, you were asked to craft a wooden spear without a recipe for it. It was still doable if you could find a long stick, but we already talked about the long sticks. So now you have the recipe from the start.

We could continue this list as we did an extraordinary amount of technical work to make the game run more smoothly, bug-free and crash-free. This work isnt done yet, but thanks to you - we are progressing fast.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I like the idea of, “becoming immortal” being a survival game’s win condition

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Tin Can is really fun but I have to say, the replay value is limited. It ends up being more of a Diner Dash style plate spinner rather than a fun problem-solving game. Once you've experienced an event and learned how it works, you just use the fastest and most reductive strategies to survive it, because it's all about time saving.

I think the game would benefit from a slower-paced, less frenetic mode. Maybe trying to keep a trading ship running on a long journey where the risk is more about optimizing your time rather than avoiding instant death.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

MarcusSA posted:

Necesse

Thanks for this! I spent almost the entire day yesterday playing Necesse after buying it on Friday (and playing most of the evening). It's a fun little game, and my survival/building game buddies are interested because it has multiplayer. I like the gauntlet-style combat, especially since I got the hammer that shoots rocks. Now spider nests are much less daunting. I still haven't entirely cleared out the starter dungeon, but I did start fixing up the rails because it saves so much time when you get further in. I just need to make the ladder more visible so I don't just zoom past it every time.
edit: ha, as soon as I hit post, I thought of the solution: just take out a section of track so that I have to stop at the ladder, and put a couple mine carts on each side.

It slows down quite a bit during raids, but that's probably just my computer. I've been using an old cpu while I wait for a new (used) one to show up, almost a month later than it was supposed to (don't ever buy anything from Key Components through Newegg), so I'm giving a pass to a lot of performance issues and long load times in games at the moment.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 5, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

JerikTelorian posted:

Tin Can is really fun but I have to say, the replay value is limited. It ends up being more of a Diner Dash style plate spinner rather than a fun problem-solving game. Once you've experienced an event and learned how it works, you just use the fastest and most reductive strategies to survive it, because it's all about time saving.

I think the game would benefit from a slower-paced, less frenetic mode. Maybe trying to keep a trading ship running on a long journey where the risk is more about optimizing your time rather than avoiding instant death.
Yeah I appreciate Tin Can for what it is but this is more what I thought it was going to be. For a long time I've wanted a generation ship game or something where new materials are pretty scarce or nonexistant and it's all about staving off entropy until endgame.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There’s a small game called Seed Ship that’s text based and rather short. You are the AI who chooses how to improve ship systems, which ones to sacrifice if needed (including sleeping colonists, cultural, or scientific databases), and eventually, which planet to try and colonize.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah I would have mentioned seed ship but I couldn't remember the name off the top of my head. I'd like something more pro-active and problem solvey. With shiny graphics. And a pony.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been trying to get into Necesse after it was posted about a week or so ago and I get the Terraria comparison but it feels like they copied a lot wholesale from Terraria (like the UI and weapon animations) but didn't copy whatever it is that makes Terraria engaging and fun to play. I guess the actual overworld area is just a very small island and most of the game is played underground? I just can't gauge how much there is to see and do in this game and I think the comparisons to Terraria is sorta setting the bar extremely high.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

You can go to other lands overmap by swimming to the edges of the map. You can also bring up a map of these other places with N.

I'm feeling a little more lost and listless than in Terraria but I vastly prefer topdown to sidescrolling so it's still fun for the moment. I haven't really dived into the settlement stuff or fought any bosses yet though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phigs posted:

You can go to other lands overmap by swimming to the edges of the map. You can also bring up a map of these other places with N.

Oh, that's good to know. I just ran around the edges of the map and had kind of an "oh, that's it..?" moment so I'm glad to hear there's more to see. I just wasn't sure if the entire game was confined to that island and the dungeon directly underneath the little shack they start you in or if it spread out significantly once you started doing more cave exploration.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Sounds like they changed a lot of the timers as expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89isznQXIoE

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Necesse: you can also make a little wooden boat. It's a lot faster than swimming. When you're exploring the cave under the starter island, you'll find Map Fragments. You can combine 2 of them to reveal a Dungeon or Village on the map, then travel to it with your boat. You may need to island-hop if things are too far away. Villages have a ladder leading to their local cave. You probably want to avoid Dungeons early on. The enemies are tougher than the ones in the Forest and the Snow biomes. You can make a ladder and use it on an uninhabited island to get to the cave system for that island. According to the wiki, the "intended" order for biomes is Forest > Snow > Dungeon with the Void Wizard > Swamp > Pirates. The pirate boss lets you get into deep caves, which scale the same way (forest to snow to swamp). Apparently you can't recruit Animal Handlers until after you beat the Pirate boss, so don't fret about that yet. It just means you have to manually gather wool and milk. Buy a rope from a wandering merchant, rope up a couple of sheep and cows, and put them in a fenced-in area (you'll have to manually open the door for the animal to get through, and then close it afterwards). If you have a feeding trough with wheat in it (not sure if other crops work, I just have a lot of excess wheat because I overproduced for flour), they'll reproduce. You also need a bucket for milk and shears for wool, which you can make at an anvil.

I've gotten really into Necesse this weekend. :)

Phigs posted:

I'm feeling a little more lost and listless than in Terraria but I vastly prefer topdown to sidescrolling so it's still fun for the moment. I haven't really dived into the settlement stuff or fought any bosses yet though.

Beating the first boss unlocks the spider set of gear, which lets you summon spiders and shoot webs. Also the Demonic metal is a nice upgrade from gold stuff. Summons seem to be functionally immortal. I've never had one die on me, they only disappear when I die.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Necesse feels like a good baseline for a game, and one that after some more content will be a lot of fun. I love the fact that the villagers can automate a good chunk of consumable crafting, and even building crafting - you can get them to churn out a set quantity of furniture, floors, etc. so that you can come back, drop off resources, pick up what you need to expand the village, expand it, and move on with your life.