Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Mike Works posted:

New York/Tampa waltzing over to follow up Colorado/Edmonton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jhet posted:

This isn’t the first time I can even recall this happening. I can remember one with Minnesota a handful of years ago against Washington, and there was one with the Islanders that I can remember too. All that matters is you don’t touch the puck until after the touch up. It’s been like this for a good number of years and while there will be moaning about it, they got it factually correct here.

I don't think most people are arguing it's factually incorrect but rather inconsistent enforcement of the rule.

How many plays a year that don't result in a goal get blown dead incorrectly?

f:actually:

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I am a bit confused by the Makar goal being deemed onside. If the nebolous "possession" is a key part in determining if a play is onside/offside, it's a huge grey zone. Are the offisde rules different when it's a delayed offside?

Not that that one goal mattered in the fireworks that was this game. Give me more.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Emetic Hustler posted:

Not that that one goal mattered in the fireworks that was this game. Give me more.

Erm, they basically lost by that 1 goal.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

Jhet posted:

This isn’t the first time I can even recall this happening. I can remember one with Minnesota a handful of years ago against Washington, and there was one with the Islanders that I can remember too. All that matters is you don’t touch the puck until after the touch up. It’s been like this for a good number of years and while there will be moaning about it, they got it factually correct here.

I’m not sure that they did get it factually correct. It seems like this debate hinges on whether Nichushkin can get back onside and tag up as long as Makar is not physically in contact with the puck. That the small amount of time when the puck leaves Makar’s stick allows the delayed offside to be nullified because Nichushkin is back across the blue line before Makar’s stick comes in contact with the puck again. But the rules for delayed offside don’t seem to include only direct physical contact with the puck.

NHL rule book, rule #83.3 posted:

If, during the course of the delayed off-side, any member of the attacking team touches the puck, attempts to gain possession of a loose puck, forces the defending puck carrier further back into his own zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier, the Linesman shall stop play for the off-side violation.

So if I’m understanding both the rules and the situation correctly (and I really do mean if, I’m not a hockey rules expert and have been watching hockey way fewer years than a lot of posters here), the call that the play was onside would mean not only that Makar didn’t physically touch the puck after it crosses the blue line, but also that he wasn’t attempting to gain possession of it. Which is obviously not correct. If he had dumped it in and gone to the bench, sure, but that’s not what happened.

He was arguably in direct possession of the puck the entire time. And if you feel like not having direct contact between stick and puck for even a moment means that you don’t have possession, he was inarguably attempting to gain possession while Nichushkin was offside and the play should have been blow dead.

Again, as best as I can figure it. Please let me know if I’m missing something, cause it seems like most folks are saying that this was the right call by the letter of the law, but I’m still not seeing it.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the oilers waiting until it was 7-3 to resemble a professional sports team was probably the biggest factor in them losing, i think

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I’m not sure that they did get it factually correct. It seems like this debate hinges on whether Nichushkin can get back onside and tag up as long as Makar is not physically in contact with the puck. That the small amount of time when the puck leaves Makar’s stick allows the delayed offside to be nullified because Nichushkin is back across the blue line before Makar’s stick comes in contact with the puck again. But the rules for delayed offside don’t seem to include only direct physical contact with the puck.

So if I’m understanding both the rules and the situation correctly (and I really do mean if, I’m not a hockey rules expert and have been watching hockey way fewer years than a lot of posters here), the call that the play was onside would mean not only that Makar didn’t physically touch the puck after it crosses the blue line, but also that he wasn’t attempting to gain possession of it. Which is obviously not correct. If he had dumped it in and gone to the bench, sure, but that’s not what happened.

He was arguably in direct possession of the puck the entire time. And if you feel like not having direct contact between stick and puck for even a moment means that you don’t have possession, he was inarguably attempting to gain possession while Nichushkin was offside and the play should have been blow dead.

Again, as best as I can figure it. Please let me know if I’m missing something, cause it seems like most folks are saying that this was the right call by the letter of the law, but I’m still not seeing it.

i agree. "possession" is huge. think of all the times the player is bobbling the puck, or whatever, and it is technically on-sides and it's blown dead because he didn't have "possession" of the puck.

i don't think anyone would have complained if that goal was wiped off the board under the current rules and precedent, but instead they chose to complicate a rule that they literally just tried to simplify.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
bloo bloo loving hoo to Oilers fans complaining about the call. welcome to hell.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

mennoknight posted:

bloo bloo loving hoo to Oilers fans complaining about the call. welcome to hell.

I appreciate your commitment to nihilism, but I am for sure not an Oilers fan. I just wanna understand the rules.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I appreciate your commitment to nihilism, but I am for sure not an Oilers fan. I just wanna understand the rules.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

MoaM posted:

It honestly sucks that Toronto poo poo the bed that night.

Florida - Toronto would have been insane.

Nah. First round loss was funnier.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

it's just extremely funny to me that the Oiler faithful, who literally got into the 3rd round thanks to a similar "interpretation of the rule*" are now up in arms that it could happen to them. I don't know why I find it so funny.

*do not lecture me about how they would've won the series anyway because of Jakob Markstrom I am well aware

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Just saw the Makar goal. I assumed he pushed it ahead and then left it to allow his own team to get on side. But it's all just one motion and just dumb luck that he doesn't touch it while offside. Definitely shouldn't have counted

E: is this going to be the new skate on the ice thing where they have to agonize for 10 minutes to determine if there's a centimeter between the puck and the stick

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

As an Avs fan I'm just gonna see it as penance for the disallowed goal from 2019 because Landeskog was still on the ice while changing because the door was stuck

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

mennoknight posted:

it's just extremely funny to me that the Oiler faithful, who literally got into the 3rd round thanks to a similar "interpretation of the rule*" are now up in arms that it could happen to them. I don't know why I find it so funny.

*do not lecture me about how they would've won the series anyway because of Jakob Markstrom I am well aware

Yeah it's only an egregious breach of justice and bad interpretation of rules when it doesn't benefit your team

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah it's only an egregious breach of justice and bad interpretation of rules when it doesn't benefit your team

This is pretty much half your posts about the Bruins, particularly when Marchand is back on his bullshit, so good to see you get it

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
No it's not lol

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No it's not lol

You're right, more like 2/3

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yes this is true

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You're right, more like 2/3

Sorry that you're angry that I said something about Marchand once a couple of months ago. I'll try to post in a way that doesn't hurt your feelings from now on.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

if you can't see how it's funny that karma came back to bite the Oilers in the literal next period of hockey I don't want to be your friend

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Hell yeah. Blood posting. Playoff hockey.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Oilers sowing extremely technical interpretations of the rules in Game 7 of the semi-finals: Hahahahah gently caress yeah! YES!!!!
The Oilers reaping extremely technical interpretations of the rules in Game 1 of the conference finals: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

I'm learning that this is maybe an unpopular opinion, but I love the dark blue and neon orange Oilers jerseys. I think they look cool as hell. The Canes black uniforms look terrible, but something about the navy and orange really works. Every time I see it I like it more.

dark blue jerseys look black on TV and that poo poo is boring as gently caress

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
We go through cycles every 8-10 years or so between Cool and Good uniforms and Ugly and Bad uniforms, probably because new Marketing people come in who feel like they have to change whatever they inherited as part of their ongoing struggle to justify the oxygen they consume. Unfortunately we're getting into a Boring And/Or Ugly Era for uniforms now. Check back in about a decade and uniforms will be awesome again.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah those Oilers sweaters look okay/decent in person and the right photo but on TV they're awful.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I'm glad the oiler's fans feel so good about losing game 1 because it's' apparently the same way they lost game 1 of round 2.

Because they are if fact still playing the calgary flames.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sports, famously the thing everyone views objectively due to an inbuilt lack of bias. I enjoy using the scientific method to assess goal calls personally.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

Sports, famously the thing everyone views objectively due to an inbuilt lack of bias. I enjoy using the scientific method to assess goal calls personally.

Just as well the Oilers have gifted us such a large sample size.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

IMO the Oilers won 6-5

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sorry that you're angry that I said something about Marchand once a couple of months ago. I'll try to post in a way that doesn't hurt your feelings from now on.

While we’re at this , posting positive thoughts about the Boston Bruins does hurt my feelings, so please feel free to factor this in too.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

As an Avs fan I'm just gonna see it as penance for the disallowed goal from 2019 because Landeskog was still on the ice while changing because the door was stuck

Yeah, they hosed up not calling a too-many-mans penalty there.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

We go through cycles every 8-10 years or so between Cool and Good uniforms and Ugly and Bad uniforms, probably because new Marketing people come in who feel like they have to change whatever they inherited as part of their ongoing struggle to justify the oxygen they consume. Unfortunately we're getting into a Boring And/Or Ugly Era for uniforms now. Check back in about a decade and uniforms will be awesome again.

I think almost all of the damage REEBOK EDGE jersey designs did has been undone. The last holdouts are the Caps and Jackets, and christ are those both still some ugly jerseys

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Actually you'll find that the avs won 8-6

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RC Cola posted:

Actually you'll find that the avs won 8-6

Coulda been 9-6 or 10-6 if they had actually been calling penalties in the last few minutes of the game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Duckman2008 posted:

While we’re at this , posting positive thoughts about the Boston Bruins does hurt my feelings, so please feel free to factor this in too.

Duly noted sorry

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Score flattered the Oilers, in my neutral position it was more like a 14 to 3 game.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The call was that he did have possession, and therefore didn't trigger the attempting to gain possession clause. He also didn't touch the puck until Nichushkin was onside, so good goal!

Some people have argued that only calling offside once the attacking player touches the puck (instead of when the puck crosses the line like every other time) is cool and good because it's an objective call (sure) that doesn't hinge on whether an attacking player entering the zone had possession or not... except it does because of that second clause aboutong attempting to gain possession. So apparently linesmen really are supposed to do this:

Duck Rodgers posted:

E: is this going to be the new skate on the ice thing where they have to agonize for 10 minutes to determine if there's a centimeter between the puck and the stick

And skaters are apparently supposed to be rewarded for judiciously leaving a small gap between their stick and the puck even if it makes no difference whatsoever in the outcome of the play.

FYI, there is precedent in the league's video rulebook at 6:15. And if anyone cares, I don't like the Oilers and thought Coleman's goal should have counted. Makar's goal was slick but it's absurd that it would have been called back if he'd touched the puck a little earlier.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There were like 17 more goals after the offisde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

There were like 17 more goals after the offisde.

Yes, it's also very funny that the Oilers lost because of that goal and also giving up another on the ensuing PK for the failed challenge