Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Don't worry, Germany will just keep adding new Special Funds that aren't part of the national budget and are allowed to run a deficit:

https://twitter.com/Shahinvallee/status/1520885502567661570?s=20&t=H-bXm8KpLB_mjxCJzbc-jQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A Buttery Pastry posted:

germans are the english of europe

harsh, but true

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

the mountain german school of economics

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

Don't worry, Germany will just keep adding new Special Funds that aren't part of the national budget and are allowed to run a deficit:

https://twitter.com/Shahinvallee/status/1520885502567661570?s=20&t=H-bXm8KpLB_mjxCJzbc-jQ

dang, and the paired down covid relief southern europe got just couldn't be higher because of reasons
guess we're just unlucky

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Jose posted:

lol did these idiots learn literally nothing from the 2008 crash

Why would he do anything different, the 2008 crash was amazing for his class.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

The Guardian posted:

France bans English gaming tech jargon in push to preserve language purity: Government officials must replace words such as ‘e-sports’ and ‘streaming’ with approved French versions

French officials on Monday continued their centuries-long battle to preserve the purity of the language, overhauling the rules on using English video game jargon.

While some expressions find obvious translations – “pro-gamer” becomes “joueur professionnel” – others seem a more strained, as “streamer” is transformed into “joueur-animateur en direct”.

The culture ministry, which is involved in the process, told AFP the video game sector was rife with anglicisms that could act as “a barrier to understanding” for non-gamers.
Académie Française denounces rise of English words in public life
Read more

France regularly issues dire warnings of the debasement of its language from across the Channel, or more recently the Atlantic.

Centuries-old language watchdog the Académie Française warned in February of a “degradation that must not be seen as inevitable”. It highlighted terms including train operator SNCF’s brand “Ouigo” (pronounced “we go”) along with straightforward imports such as “big data” and “drive-in”.

However, Monday’s changes were issued in the official journal, making them binding on government workers.

Among several terms to be given official French alternatives were “cloud gaming”, which becomes “jeu video en nuage”, and “eSports”, which will now be translated as “jeu video de competition”.

The ministry said experts had searched video game websites and magazines to see if French terms already existed. The overall idea, said the ministry, was to allow the population to communicate more easily.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Should have just banned gaming entirely.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao it's only been like a month since the election and slovenia's SDS party of right wing shitheads is already starting to lose hungarian funding. orban's been funding jansa's tv station and newspapers blogs (technically not his but lol the bias is so obvious), and now he's trying to sell them

more like orbandoned lmao

e: reading the thread title reminded me of the thing and holy lol the tweet is still up
https://twitter.com/jjansasds/status/1323913419200864256

Truga has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Jun 1, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Curiously the "Finnish" fascist TV station Alfa TV is going bankrupt at a time when Russia is experiencing money problems. :thunk:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the russian government isn't experiencing money troubles tho, they're making out like bandits due to soaring oil prices and a strong ruble

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

prep for the next round of eu sanctions (dropping 90% of russian oil imports which is about two thirds of russian oil exports)?

also russia stopped selling gas to Ørsted today cause they refused to pay in rubles

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

the russian government isn't experiencing money troubles tho, they're making out like bandits due to soaring oil prices and a strong ruble
yeah, this

Carthag Tuek posted:

prep for the next round of eu sanctions (dropping 90% of russian oil imports which is about two thirds of russian oil exports)?

big lmaos if this actually happens

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Oil boycott does literally nothing. Aside from the fact that they're including exceptions for Hungary etc., they don't have to sell oil directly to Germany, they can just sell it to China who will sell it to the Arabs who will sell it to the EU. It's not like you have to ship the actual oil around the world to do that.

Peggotty has issued a correction as of 11:18 on Jun 1, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah my bet on what happens is, hungary, and probably others, will manage to avoid the natgas/oil sanctions, and then buy gas and sell it to the rest of EU while skimming % off the top lol

or, in the big lmaos version, sanctions actually do magically go through for real and EU enters a bona fide depression due to insane energy costs, especially in germany, which is 25% of EU's gdp lmao
also, restarting the big german coal mines and power stations

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hungary suddenly becomes one of the world's largest oil producers. The Free Market finds a way.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yep Ørsted is now buying "German" biogas lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Portugal and spanish gov are saying they could supply Europe 30% of its needs but can't due to a lack of pipelines but.. Like can we really? We import gas as it is already lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

Portugal and spanish gov are saying they could supply Europe 30% of its needs but can't due to a lack of pipelines but.. Like can we really? We import gas as it is already lol

The pipe they are lacking goes to the fields in Siberia.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
not gonna lie, everybody still buying russian oil except through a dozen middlemen who all want to skim off the top is the most european solution imaginable

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Jun 1, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

As Ursula von der Leyen said on MSNBC:

"If we were to completely cut—immediately, as of today—off the oil, [Putin] might be able to take the oil that he does not sell to the European Union to the world market, where the prices will increase, and sell it for more, and thus fill his war chest."

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
"Less demand - more price."
-Ursula van der Leyen.

It heartens me every day to think what good hands we are in.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

"Less demand - more price."
-Ursula van der Leyen.

It heartens me every day to think what good hands we are in.

You know, the idea isn't for Europe to just stop burning oil?

genericnick has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Jun 1, 2022

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Not sure I see what you mean. Care to expand?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Truga posted:

yeah my bet on what happens is, hungary, and probably others, will manage to avoid the natgas/oil sanctions, and then buy gas and sell it to the rest of EU while skimming % off the top lol

or, in the big lmaos version, sanctions actually do magically go through for real and EU enters a bona fide depression due to insane energy costs, especially in germany, which is 25% of EU's gdp lmao
also, restarting the big german coal mines and power stations

Por que no los dos?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
this whole mess has at least rekindled arguments in popular talk about what kind of exports a sate inside EU can do and can't do, or rather we we're not allowed to by market policies

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dawncloack posted:

Not sure I see what you mean. Care to expand?

Less demand for russian oil means more demand for none russian oil, which will increase that price. This will mean countries that produce oil and sell it to those countries will have an incentive to buy russian oil to resell to those countries indirectly.

Oh no globalization being used against us for once

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Less demand for russian oil means more demand for none russian oil, which will increase that price. This will mean countries that produce oil and sell it to those countries will have an incentive to buy russian oil to resell to those countries indirectly.

Oh no globalization being used against us for once

Not only that, but the idea is basically that Europe outbids everyone on all the non-Russian sources. But since you need that poo poo to live that leaves the rest of the world pretty desperate and Russia with considerable pricing power. Certainly, Russian oil would sell at a substantial discount compared to the stuff you could sell directly in Europe, but that price could easily be more than it is now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Por que no los dos?

we're definitely heading for recession, but i'm not sure we'll enter a full blown "everything turbosucks for over 10 years" depression just yet, due to as said, just buying russian gas through more middlemen than before

with the right moves, we still can though!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
these sanctions won’t be cause of the oncoming turbo-depression, but will certainly have some kind of impact. in any case, given the huge bubble in stock and real estate prices and the completely insane overvaluation of pretty much all tech-stocks, a global market crash is pretty much inevitable. it’s really just a matter of time

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Riiiiight! Thank you both for the explanation. I hadn't conaidered that angle.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah sanctioning Russia is less demand for Russia, but it's less supply for everyone on the other side of that.

As far as the whole world is concerned there will never be less demand for oil until civilization starts collapsing.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Jun 1, 2022

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

oscarthewilde posted:

these sanctions won’t be cause of the oncoming turbo-depression, but will certainly have some kind of impact. in any case, given the huge bubble in stock and real estate prices and the completely insane overvaluation of pretty much all tech-stocks, a global market crash is pretty much inevitable. it’s really just a matter of time

doesn't a crash depend on the rich finding a different asset to dump their assets into?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Denmark just voted overwhelmingly in favour of ending its EU defense opt-out.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SplitSoul posted:

Denmark just voted overwhelmingly in favour of ending its EU defense opt-out.
They're already talking about getting rid of the rest. Admittedly it's a bit harder to use Putin as a reason to join the Euro, so maybe they'll wait until the next crash and claim that the Euro would save us.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ok i know i was saying this probably isn't a depression just a few hours ago but
https://twitter.com/anarchonbury/status/1532081604968992768
lmfao

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Holy shitballs

The thing I am most amazed by is that I continue to be amazed at just how loving dumb everything is.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
ofc it comes to this, the english proping up gambling

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They're already talking about getting rid of the rest. Admittedly it's a bit harder to use Putin as a reason to join the Euro, so maybe they'll wait until the next crash and claim that the Euro would save us.

Given the media blitzkrieg in favour of this one I fully expect them to be gone within a few years, if we're not all irradiated skeletons at that point.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not going to lose sleep over losing this one, but joining the Euro would be so massively dumb that... it's inevitable.

I always love how a no means maybe with these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

THE BAR posted:

I'm not going to lose sleep over losing this one

Yeah, man, gotta amass that Mediterranean seabed skeleton army for the coming Necro Wars.