Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Avasculous posted:

I got the impression that Vecna shows victims a mix of real things and delusions that exaggerate and validate their anxieties.

I also assumed that. Which tracks, as this show lands hard on "the power of friendship" as the solution to problems, so the villain's MO being to isolate and gaslight his victims into hopelessness makes for a good thematic opposite. Thus far, he's kind of just Pennywise, though. There's something fundamentally petty about this monster-man doing psychological deep-dives on children so he can serve up some targeted nightmares. "Ah ha! You're bulimic! But what if...your mother called you fat!"

It's still not clear what Vecna is getting out of this, though I'm sure they'll explain at length. Does he need to eat the teenager's lifeforce, or is it their trauma he eats like garmonbozia? Or is his goal just to build new gates to escape the Upside Down, which he can't do yet for reasons?

I'm also betting we're going to get a whole Jedi/Sith parallel with him and Eleven. Vecna channels pain and anger to feel powerful, tries to train Eleven to do the same, and I'm guessing the final showdown will be her channeling ~the love of her friends~ instead and winning that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chieves posted:

On the subject of best characters, y'all are wrong, but I do have a spoilery question in relation to that.

Does the actual best character, Mr. Clarke, show up? A simple yes or no (in tags, please) will suffice.

no, but there are four hours left to the season dropping in July.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bandaging up Steve's abdomen and then giving him a denim vest? He's already the coolest character on the show you could stop at any time and let the rest of the cast catch up

e: also I cringed at Eddie diving into the water wearing that vest plus his loving leather jacket

Sockser fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 1, 2022

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

kdrudy posted:

based on the early episode with her in the bathroom that she was pregnant with basketball captain's kid, but the body image issues due to her mother make that make sense, too. Also thought she was looking for drugs from Eddie to like induce an abortion or something.

She was throwing up as in bulimia. She was looking for something stronger than weed to stop the nightmares. He was selling her ketamine.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Was there any indication of why Vecna was starting his killing spree now? Not sure if I missed something, just seems like an arbitrary moment of time to start his 7 day murder countdowns right around spring break 86 as opposed to literally any other time. Which makes the Russia storyline even more improbable as a parallel.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

iamsosmrt posted:

Was there any indication of why Vecna was starting his killing spree now? Not sure if I missed something, just seems like an arbitrary moment of time to start his 7 day murder countdowns right around spring break 86 as opposed to literally any other time. Which makes the Russia storyline even more improbable as a parallel.

Seems like whatever happened with the Mind Flayer and the big gate machine at the end of S3 woke him up and let him take a more active role.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Something I've been thinking about : Mr. Friendly Orderly's advice to Eleven about supercharging her powers--focus on sad, angry memories--is pretty much what Kali/Eight advised Elaven to do back in the Chicago episode. I'm wondering if he gave Kali the same advice sometime in the past and helped her escape, but she wouldn't take the chip out of his neck, so he had to try again with Eleven. I don't think it'll come to anything in the show, but it would explain how she escaped and why she gives El the same advice.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

boy is that final monologue a drag.

that's some scooby doo rear end "here's how i did it" poo poo

I couldn’t stop picturing him as Dennis Reynolds.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Rorobb posted:

Verbally taunt
Emotionally crush
Cripple limbs
No more eyeballs
Abandon body

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Something I've been thinking about : Mr. Friendly Orderly's advice to Eleven about supercharging her powers--focus on sad, angry memories--is pretty much what Kali/Eight advised Elaven to do back in the Chicago episode. I'm wondering if he gave Kali the same advice sometime in the past and helped her escape, but she wouldn't take the chip out of his neck, so he had to try again with Eleven. I don't think it'll come to anything in the show, but it would explain how she escaped and why she gives El the same advice.

All that has been reconned out

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kali is mentioned a few times this season. Probably just to keep continuity intact, but she hasn't been erased.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Seems like whatever happened with the Mind Flayer and the big gate machine at the end of S3 woke him up and let him take a more active role.

Even then, it's been like three quarters of a year since then. Maybe he had to work his way up.

"Mr. Whiskers, I know how much you regret not catching that squirrel!"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Avasculous posted:

She was throwing up as in bulimia. She was looking for something stronger than weed to stop the nightmares. He was selling her ketamine.

I mean yea, I got all that now

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

iamsosmrt posted:

They seem to be leaning real hard on him and eleven being connected, and all his killings seem to line up with her spikes of intense emotions.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Rorobb posted:

i didn't think of this but its pretty perfect

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Kali is mentioned a few times this season. Probably just to keep continuity intact, but she hasn't been erased.

Her powers and storyline have been.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

RBX posted:

Her powers and storyline have been.

How so? One clearly has her powers in addition to the telekinesis and astral projection Eleven has.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Verbally taunt
Emotionally crush
Cripple limbs
No more eyeballs
Abandon body

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

It went on too long, yeah.

Vecna motive: Was he sent back in time? Langoliers style where there's nothing but a dead decaying world? The bats seemed like what I remember from the crappy TV movie; never read the book. He was spider-like but I think he just happened to fall in with the timekeeper cleanup crew.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

There’s a teaser for Part 2 up on YouTube

Well at least this makes it seem like the Hopper storyline is headed somewhere interesting

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I am entertained by the Hopper russian jail storyline. It's very Spies Like Us.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CainFortea posted:

I am entertained by the Hopper russian jail storyline. It's very Spies Like Us.

it's the russian terminator guy storyline from s3

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Every character on this show has a really weird-shaped head.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

thebardyspoon posted:

They killed the most heroic and likable character in the first or second episode of Season 1, the poor small business owner who, when he saw a small child on her own, gave her a burger and fries on the house. Then he got shot by government agents for his trouble.

It always made me :smith: when they talk to his friend and he says he was looking forward to going on a fishing trip

RIP Benny, at least the bitch who killed you got hosed up by Eleven

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Every character on this show has a really weird-shaped head.

That's just how peoples heads were in the 80's. Humanities come far since then.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Lol this just reminded me of another terrible thing in this season:

he tells Eleven to focus on sad angry memories, and then when she’s fighting him and needs to go atomic, she focuses on…..her own birth??? :wtf:

Aw hell, one more:

Hopper: *breaks his own ankle to get the shackle off*
Me: “oh drat, that’s badass. he’s gonna be hobbling around, but I guess he only needs to get to the plane”
Hopper: *breaks his OTHER ankle to get both shackles off for some reason?!*
Me: “uhhhh…that’s weird. I guess he’s not really gonna be doing much for a bit?”
Hopper: *has a huge fight with the Russian dude, escapes, gets recaptured, walks everywhere and then has a huge fight with a Demogorgon*
Me: :psyduck:

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

Lol this just reminded me of another terrible thing in this season:

he tells Eleven to focus on sad angry memories, and then when she’s fighting him and needs to go atomic, she focuses on…..her own birth??? :wtf:

She starts by focusing on the sad angry memories, but when that doesn't work she focuses on the one happy memory she's got, her mom saying I love you right after her birth. Which, yeah, but she's not going to beat him by doing the thing he taught her--he's the evil bad guy who gave her evil bad guy advice because he's, you know, evil and only understands being sad and angry. She's the good guy so she has to fight his bad guy method of sad angry memories with her good guy method of happy love memories, which will always be stronger because love>anger.

Anyway, Mike is gonna say I love you to her at some point soon and she'll use that memory to save the day.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
please, that'll be robin

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

LionArcher posted:

You're knocking Dustin? and Max? And 11?! and Erica? And Eddie?!...

Erica sucks.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Didn't help that they used the same music as the Watchmen movie when Dr. Manhattan recounts his life. It made it feel like they were doing a parody of that scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Senjuro posted:

Didn't help that they used the same music as the Watchmen movie when Dr. Manhattan recounts his life. It made it feel like they were doing a parody of that scene.

Which is not impossible - Watchmen began publication in 1986. In context of the story, the Creels move to Hawkins in 1959, which is also when Jon Osterman moves to Gila Flats.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 1, 2022

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Somebody remind me, they say that Vecna opens the gates through the psychic energy produced by killing his victims, but we see the tentacles feeding on the fish at Lover's Lake before the basketball player gets killed there?

Not going "hope somebody got fired for that blunder!", here, just curious if I'm misremembering. Though, personally I didn't like the backstory they gave for the Upside Down on this season, in particular making Eleven so integral to shaping the way it is now. I liked it when it was more of a "this weird mirror world just exists and humans are just loving around with something they don't understand" vibe. The first season scene of Eleven in a dark featureless world and then the first Demogorgon just kind of being there really stuck with me.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 1, 2022

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

dpkg chopra posted:

Somebody remind me, they say that Vecna opens the gates through the psychic energy produced by killing his victims, but we see the tentacles feeding on the fish at Lover's Lake before the basketball player gets killed there?

Not going "hope somebody got fired for that blunder!", here, just curious if I'm misremembering.

Tentacles are small and Vecna is big.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hopper: *breaks his own ankle to get the shackle off*
Me: “oh drat, that’s badass. he’s gonna be hobbling around, but I guess he only needs to get to the plane”
Hopper: *breaks his OTHER ankle to get both shackles off for some reason?!*
Me: “uhhhh…that’s weird. I guess he’s not really gonna be doing much for a bit?”
Hopper: *has a huge fight with the Russian dude, escapes, gets recaptured, walks everywhere and then has a huge fight with a Demogorgon*
Me: :psyduck:

Yeah I expected that to be a bigger deal too. Just another example of that sideplot kinda spinning its wheels

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Episode 7 spoiler

How did eleven just forget that the reason there is a gate in Hawkins is because she trapped a God like being that was trying to kill her in there? You would think you would remember something like that. Also doesn’t this contradict how the gate was opened as shown in the flashback in season 1

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Noob Saibot posted:

Episode 7 spoiler

How did eleven just forget that the reason there is a gate in Hawkins is because she trapped a God like being that was trying to kill her in there? You would think you would remember something like that. Also doesn’t this contradict how the gate was opened as shown in the flashback in season 1

She suppressed the memory.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Noob Saibot posted:

Episode 7 spoiler
You would think you would remember something like that.

She's, like, 7 or 8 when this happened and it was obviously incredibly traumatic. And beyond that, who knows what Dr. Brenner/the lab did to her to possibly make her forget such incredible and dangerous powers?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Part 2 trailer: There's a quick shot of Brenner looking at the wall where the gate was, and it's been sorta sealed back up, so presumably Eleven closed it and then they used her to open another, bigger one

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Verbally taunt
Emotionally crush
Cripple limbs
No more eyeballs
Abandon body

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Scholtz posted:

She's, like, 7 or 8 when this happened and it was obviously incredibly traumatic. And beyond that, who knows what Dr. Brenner/the lab did to her to possibly make her forget such incredible and dangerous powers?

I can remember traumatic stuff from that age