Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that logitech wheel is amazing though. i still have my G25, still works, most i had to do was open the shifter and clean it out because 1st and 3rd gear got wonky some years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IncompatibleComplexDutchshepherddog-mobile.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Truga posted:

that logitech wheel is amazing though. i still have my G25, still works, most i had to do was open the shifter and clean it out because 1st and 3rd gear got wonky some years ago

My G29 was amazing... for figuring out if simracing was fun enough to me to be worth buying a nice one then clawed my way up the food chain and each upgrade was light years better than the previous. From g29 to CSL (og ps4 version) to CSW2.5 to CSL DD to Simagic Alpha Mini where I'm currently at. Probably I'm just dumb and should have kept my G29 and spent $14k on a sweet fort to put it in

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Truga posted:

This is the same as those "which flightstick to buy" articles that recommend x52s and Warthogs.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Xakura posted:

This is the same as those "which flightstick to buy" articles that recommend x52s and Warthogs.

Come on, we all know the best flight sticks have RSI branding on them! :trustme:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i have an x65 and i doubt there's a better stick available on market. or even a "just as good" stick, since x65 apparently didn't sell enough and got cancelled

and i got it on a clearance sale for 199 bux lmao

Thoatse posted:

My G29 was amazing... for figuring out if simracing was fun enough to me to be worth buying a nice one then clawed my way up the food chain and each upgrade was light years better than the previous. From g29 to CSL (og ps4 version) to CSW2.5 to CSL DD to Simagic Alpha Mini where I'm currently at. Probably I'm just dumb and should have kept my G29 and spent $14k on a sweet fort to put it in

a g25 was already over my budget at a bit over 300 eurobux since unlike flying i don't race a lot, but it came with pedals i now also use for flight simming and a 7-speed shifter, lmao at spending 650 for just a wheelbase

then again, this is the star citizen thread

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Truga posted:

i have an x65 and i doubt there's a better stick available on market. or even a "just as good" stick, since x65 apparently didn't sell enough and got cancelled

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Of course there are, anything by VKB or Virpil is going to be better.

Truga posted:

a g25 was already over my budget at a bit over 300 eurobux since unlike flying i don't race a lot, but it came with pedals i now also use for flight simming and a 7-speed shifter, lmao at spending 650 for just a wheelbase

The point isn't "you have to spend $enthusiast nonsense to have fun", its that if you're spending 30k on your playroom, maybe put something of that into better gear.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no there's literally nothing on the market that does force sensing like x65. it's the only stick that lets you have high precision + high range of movement at the same time by setting a high max force

there's 3rd party aftermarket mod for warthog joysticks that costs like $500 and you have to assemble the stick yourself, and it's not even any better, it's expensive because he sells 3 units per year

also, the playroom guy clearly lacked cash for a $1000 wheel after spending 30k on the room :v:

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
I haven't replaced my G920 yet because I'm a cheap bastard and it still works somehow.

I'll probably replace it with a Fanatec soon tho

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Truga posted:

loved my G29 for the years I used it but my upgrade path was a long process spanning 6 years and most gear bought deeply discounted (G29+shifter for $250) or second hand then mostly recouped by selling previous gear (G29 sold for $250, CSL+pedals bought for $350 etc) and also put thousands of hours on it.. 1750 in DR2 alone. Sim gear has strangely good resale value so upgrade paths are not as bad as it seems if you're patient enough to buy low and sell high.

Love flight sims too and hot rodded my MSFFII to be a dedicated sailplane stick running double the force at double the length https://imgur.com/a/4PHsM3V but that is now being replaced by a 5Nm brushless one I'm building that also uses DirectInput protocol (plug and play force feedback like msffii ) but also has a GUI to adjust damper/spring/friction and periodic effects to further tailor profiles and accepts TM/Virpil/Baur/diy grips. I put money into this but outside my wheelbase most of my gear is diy and most of my budget parts/materials and my dollars per hour come out quite acceptable. I play in VR and replicating kinematics of cars/planes/mechs brings simming to the next level and even right now today can do things I didn't think would be possible for budget homebuilders for decades to come if ever.

X65? There's a few diy force sensing options, there's mods for Cougar and Warthog, there's $$ offerings from RealSimulator (and better than X65) for both Cougar/Warthog and the guy that makes the brushless FF stick kit I'm working from also has a force sensing base he's working on releasing that will be pretty inexpensive and also accept the same range of grips as his FF setup. X65 ok but Saitek missed the mark by giving it absolutely zero flex where real F-16 grip has a sliiiiight bit to it and it makes a difference to modulating your inputs. Personally I dislike even them even with the movement but have long wanted to make some force sensing gimbals that are more a hybrid of displacement+force, operating like load cell brake pedals for simracing. It's still force sensing but your mashing elastomers into the loadcell so have a kinematic stroke to work with and it makes it much easier and satisfying to put it right where you want. Love the x65 throttle though, and the grip itself and have seen some cool mods to address the lack of any give, with slightly more thought it would have been a slam dunk but the lack of flex was the nail in its coffin. When force sensing sticks were first outfitted on F-16 they were also 100% static but pilots absolutely hated them for the same reason -difficult to modulate your inputs without at least a little give so it was re engineered to move +/-3mm or so and it became the standard for FS systems to have a little budge, some more than others.

Force sensing is great for flying stable jets you nudge around but awful for a lot of aircraft, like gliders/light civ, helicopters etc where you move some axes vigorously but also have controls slightly off axis for lengths of time and I also disike it for space sims but can see how it's at least useful there but that's where I think the hybrid one would shine the most.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

My initial backing on Kickstarter of Star Citizen has already been worth it just from all these cute GIFs.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Mozi posted:

My initial backing on Kickstarter of Star Citizen has already been worth it just from all these cute GIFs.

https://i.imgur.com/BZ3uuKM.mp4

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kosumo posted:

Come on, we all know the best flight sticks have RSI branding on them! :trustme:

i had completely forgotten about that poo poo show

what ever happened to their custom flight sticks and face cam?

i assume it all just never happened and all traces of it have been scrubbed

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Roberts threw mad catz under the bus while talking up the foip camera. We now how well that panned out.

Hopefully optane still kicking.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 2, 2022

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey thread, is Crisp Robots still alive?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Define "alive?"

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
A selection of comments from a :reddit: post celebrating the 2022 record funding, enjoy!

quote:

Derek Smart. He's a failed game developer that wanted to make a game like this but couldn't, and he spent a lot of time projecting his failures on to Chris Roberts, including estimating in 2015 that the project had "90 days, tops" before it failed (which, as it turned out, was about the time it took for him to take his own game off steam and shut down one of the two (IIRC) servers he had for it).

A bunch of the goons from Something Awful latched onto his ramblings because they got angry that CR said they couldn't control space like they could in E:D, which inevitably lead to stuff like calling this game a scam, trolling this sub with a gently caress ton of fake concern posts, saying this sub is full of white knights and cultists, and inevitably lead to the creation of the Refunds sub, which is essentially flat Eathers/QAnon but for Star Citizen.

quote:

The Wormhole / Jump Point was always intended / expected to be a hidden loading screen

quote:

PES, server meshing and so much new content is coming in the next 12 months, it’s really nice to see everything coming together.

It’s a great time to be a star citizen!

quote:

Perpetual development is the new normal. MMORPGs have been doing this forever. If they slapped a "released" or "finished" sticker on it tomorrow, but still promised to continue adding more ships, more systems, more items, more everything, then people would still be unhappy.

At this point, I don't really care if it ever gets released. That's basically irrelevant at this point because it likely never will be done so long as there are players who continue to support it. It's an iterative experience.

quote:

You sort of skipped right over Squadron’s actual release, which could generate several years worth of funding in a relatively short amount of time

quote:

If you think about it, they’re trying to have 1000 employees; right? You can only pay a salary of something livable like $65k if they make $65M. I really hope we can keep these numbers up, as the game will only really grow as long as they can afford to keep everyone around.

quote:

For the scope change after they realized the level of funding they could expect and the nature of it being crowd funded, I think we can basically ignore the first 3-5 years.

quote:

Feature creep hasn't really been an issue since ~late 2015, I think, bar a couple of much-appreciated examples

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
TIL that goons control space in E:D.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

yeah
https://twitter.com/SandiRoberts42/status/1530397949208825856/photo/1

he appears on Sandi's twitter, he allegedly writes walls of text before big ship sale events and his spirit is present in perpetual mess hall scene development updates

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 2, 2022

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Such incredible originality. Maybe he could have the actor who played Luke Skywalker piloting one too, just to really get Disney on his rear end

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1532331599983005699

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Dwesa posted:

yeah

he appears on Sandi's twitter, he allegedly writes walls of text before big ship sale events and his spirit is present in perpetual mess hall scene development updates

The shades make him look like even more of an rear end in a top hat.

He looks like a wax statue in the first pic XD

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
They are also comically small for aviators

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
actually, his head is just really big so it can house his genius brain
which you'd know if you understood game development

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Blue On Blue posted:

i had completely forgotten about that poo poo show

what ever happened to their custom flight sticks and face cam?

i assume it all just never happened and all traces of it have been scrubbed

I like the face came one in particular because of their particularly ridiculous simulated performance images where it had better low-light performance than prosumer-type webcams with built-in ringlights.

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

If you think about it, they’re trying to have 1000 employees; right? You can only pay a salary of something livable like $65k if they make $65M. I really hope we can keep these numbers up, as the game will only really grow as long as they can afford to keep everyone around.

Good god, I hope the average engineer salary is not 65k. That's less than what we pay absolute entry-level engineers (associate SE). But I think there's very few engineers compared to artists so that's probably dragging it down since artists tend to be severely undervalued.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dwesa posted:

yeah

Lol, glad to see Hollywood's/the games industry's greatest power couple is back together. I guess Sandi realized that syphoning money from pathetic nerds is still her best life path.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

I like the face came one in particular because of their particularly ridiculous simulated performance images where it had better low-light performance than prosumer-type webcams with built-in ringlights.

Good god, I hope the average engineer salary is not 65k. That's less than what we pay absolute entry-level engineers (associate SE). But I think there's very few engineers compared to artists so that's probably dragging it down since artists tend to be severely undervalued.

I think they were advertising mid-level artists positions in the UK for around $60K a year or two ago and programmer positions for not much more.

CIG just continually vacuums up college grads who then pad their resume for a year or two then leave. It's one of the reasons everything in SC is a giant clusterfuck. 4 or 5 generations of devs have just tried to shove what they could into the game, and then left the company dumping their work in the lap of the next cohort of 22 year olds.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 2, 2022

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

Lol, glad to see Hollywood's/the games industry's greatest power couple is back together. I guess Sandi realized that syphoning money from pathetic nerds is still her best life path.

thats probably just for PR. anyway, i remember when chris moved to the UK for good, it was said he will do that to focus 100% on squadron69.
like no-nonsense, no bullshit, blood sweat and tears, focus on squadron54, high priority, we need the boss here!
but hey why not fly back to the US to watch topgun.

.random
May 7, 2007

So I’ve been thinking. Clearly, there’s a tonne of talent in this subreddit - we have developers with decades of experience, high level program managers, artists, social workers, etc. - but even more than that, we have passion. Listen, I really do respect that CIG is hiring the best of the best and is paying a much more than! livable salary to do so. But I can’t help but think that they’re leaving proverbial money on the table in the form of fan labor.

I know, I know, “think of the time it would take to train fan staff!” And “what about protecting IP?” I get it. I do. But I also can’t think of a better group of people to help push CIG over the finish line when we’re already so close.

More than that, since we all acknowledge there is no finish line, it might be better to get them in now so that future development costs can actually be reduced. Think about it: if just one out of every three CIG employees is a volunteer, that’s literally an extra YEAR of funding for every two years of funding.

And maybe as a special treat, volunteers can earn special in-game swag (different stuff obviously because I don’t want to devalue the things we earn as Legatus Imperium donors).

WDYT? To prove the point, please reply to this thread with what kind of contribution you can make (Development, Art, Project Management, or any of the other open positions on CIG’s website!) with your years of experience in the industry and how many hours you’d be willing to volunteer a week.

I’ll go first:
Position: Development and Project Management
Experience: 0.1 and 23, respectively
Hours: up to 45/week

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

.random posted:

:staredog:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
It must be great to have such giant rubes for customers that they want to pay you to do work for you.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

.random posted:

So I’ve been thinking. Clearly, there’s a tonne of talent in this subreddit - we have developers with decades of experience, high level program managers, artists, social workers, etc. - but even more than that, we have passion. Listen, I really do respect that CIG is hiring the best of the best and is paying a much more than! livable salary to do so. But I can’t help but think that they’re leaving proverbial money on the table in the form of fan labor.

I know, I know, “think of the time it would take to train fan staff!” And “what about protecting IP?” I get it. I do. But I also can’t think of a better group of people to help push CIG over the finish line when we’re already so close.

More than that, since we all acknowledge there is no finish line, it might be better to get them in now so that future development costs can actually be reduced. Think about it: if just one out of every three CIG employees is a volunteer, that’s literally an extra YEAR of funding for every two years of funding.

And maybe as a special treat, volunteers can earn special in-game swag (different stuff obviously because I don’t want to devalue the things we earn as Legatus Imperium donors).

WDYT? To prove the point, please reply to this thread with what kind of contribution you can make (Development, Art, Project Management, or any of the other open positions on CIG’s website!) with your years of experience in the industry and how many hours you’d be willing to volunteer a week.

I’ll go first:
Position: Development and Project Management
Experience: 0.1 and 23, respectively

Position: Ship Bathroom Dictator
Experience: High Grand Admiral Praetorian Imperator
Hours: How many are in a week?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

They should just go Full Simp and post all their wages directly to Chris Croberts

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

smellmycheese posted:

They should just go Full Simp and post all their wages directly to Chris Croberts

I'm pretty sure some already do.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Monthly PU Report

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18719-Star-Citizen-Monthly-Report-May-2022

Not very funny tbh, here's a few choice bits.

quote:

AI (Content)

the team authored 40 new overlays, including scalp scratching, knuckle cracking, and stretching. The overlays build on the walk-cycle work completed earlier in the year to provide more visually pleasing AI locomotion.
[...]began using the dynamic conversations tech recently delivered by AI Tech, which allows groups of AI to spontaneously begin conversations

AI (Tech)

Building on last month’s work, feedback was addressed regarding NPCs pushing trolleys. The team now have better control over what forces are applied to the trolley by using an angular and two linear PID controllers. They also improved the exact positioning logic at the end of a path and added stuck detector usage.
[...] an initial skeleton of the DefendArea assignment was implemented to allow the designers to specify areas that NPCs can use for their behaviors. For example, guards will use this to understand which zones they should patrol.

AI (Vehicle Features)

They're currently porting the new dive attack maneuver to the combat pilot AI, which allows ‘reckless’ and ‘aggressive’ pilots fighting against capital ships to dynamically choose this maneuver when required.

Art (Characters)

[...]included work on several armor variants. They also continued to work on the Pyro frontier outfits.

Engine

[...]the Physics team added a new dynamic entity (ropeentity_ex) to simulate a rope running over a pulley wheel.

Features (Arena Commander)

[...]the team fixed bugs, most notably those that had been affecting the gameplay of Arena Commander and Star Marine.

Features (Characters & Weapons)

the team continued updating the scanning feature, improving the visual effects when triggering a ping wave while on foot and how it highlights different contacts. Interactable items and points of interest critical to mission progression will be highlighted too.

Locations (Montreal)

They’re currently polishing and bug fixing in preparation for their release, which will complete the initial proof of concept for the derelict settlements.
The next stage is to take the proof of concept and see how much more depth can be added

Narrative

Last month, Narrative continued to work with Design on a handful of new missions and initiatives. This included discussing new mission archetypes and tackling the new-player experience to devise a system to introduce new players to the game’s various mechanics.
Preparations commenced for the upcoming motion-capture session scheduled for next month.

Tech Animation

The Technical Animation team spent part of the month addressing small tasks that will ultimately improve the quality of life for all devs.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

smellmycheese posted:

:hmmyes:

It's more efficient really, Croberts can hire better magic cryengine germans than these forum randos :sandance:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I'm not a coder, is it normal to run three PID loops to make a single npc push a cart?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1532026125102239744
https://twitter.com/CrocsNational/status/1532027841201721350
https://twitter.com/CircleBackEuge1/status/1532037737670385671
https://twitter.com/The1NPC/status/1532084028949639169
https://twitter.com/The1NPC/status/1532145341516111873
https://twitter.com/The1NPC/status/1532165435587801088

Spectrum: Show Us Your Colors Celebration 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

If there's one game community aside from maybe Kingdom Come: Deliverance who I'd assume to be extremely conservative, it's Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Mirificus posted:

Spectrum: Show Us Your Colors Celebration 2022

Knowing how chud-y the Star Citizen community is, this is one of the few times I can sympathize with Spectrum's moderators.