Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

whatis posted:

dark blue jerseys look black on TV and that poo poo is boring as gently caress
turn on adjust your monitor :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
This is a reach, but a few games back the Canes had a goal-against called back on challenge because the NYR were off sides by a HUGE AMOUNT. After the review they called the linesmen over to the box to take the phone.

Anyone know what that was about? Did New York/Toronto use that moment in the game to yell at the linesmen for loving up so badly?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FunOne posted:

This is a reach, but a few games back the Canes had a goal-against called back on challenge because the NYR were off sides by a HUGE AMOUNT. After the review they called the linesmen over to the box to take the phone.

Anyone know what that was about? Did New York/Toronto use that moment in the game to yell at the linesmen for loving up so badly?

I think that was to adjust the time?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I think that was to adjust the time?

Probably. In my mind some video ref. from a thousand miles away is going STEVE HOW DID YOU loving MISS THE GUY STANDING IN FRONT OF YOU?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I’m not sure that they did get it factually correct. It seems like this debate hinges on whether Nichushkin can get back onside and tag up as long as Makar is not physically in contact with the puck. That the small amount of time when the puck leaves Makar’s stick allows the delayed offside to be nullified because Nichushkin is back across the blue line before Makar’s stick comes in contact with the puck again. But the rules for delayed offside don’t seem to include only direct physical contact with the puck.

So if I’m understanding both the rules and the situation correctly (and I really do mean if, I’m not a hockey rules expert and have been watching hockey way fewer years than a lot of posters here), the call that the play was onside would mean not only that Makar didn’t physically touch the puck after it crosses the blue line, but also that he wasn’t attempting to gain possession of it. Which is obviously not correct. If he had dumped it in and gone to the bench, sure, but that’s not what happened.

He was arguably in direct possession of the puck the entire time. And if you feel like not having direct contact between stick and puck for even a moment means that you don’t have possession, he was inarguably attempting to gain possession while Nichushkin was offside and the play should have been blow dead.

Again, as best as I can figure it. Please let me know if I’m missing something, cause it seems like most folks are saying that this was the right call by the letter of the law, but I’m still not seeing it.

Direct possession would be touching the puck, yes. As long as you don't move your stick to touch the puck on the delayed call it's onside. The good news is that there are a couple good examples of this in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogLD8I0D6AM&t=302s Wild v Capitals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMfIoXb1a0k Pens v Isles

I was trying to find the exact one I have in my head where Koivu bumped the puck in gently, stared across the blue line watching for the tag up with his stick off the ice on the wall and then grabbed it and went in to score, but I don't remember if it was challenged or not.

It's one of those things where linesman just call what they see. It's not a subjective thing until you get to the possession piece where it starts to creep in. Except they just define it as touching the puck or impacting play by trying to touch the puck. On this call, that stick going in near the puck hasn't affected anyone's ability to play it. No one else was going to play it and Makar is still in the neutral zone, so he's not caused the defenders to do anything differently. To go even more precise, Makar doesn't even move his stick towards the puck in the zone until after the touch up happens, so that's the reason the "attempted to play" the puck part is not fulfilled.

So you'll see a ton of these that go the offensive direction all season. They may not be this tight, and sometimes the instant decision is made where they blow the whistle the other way. The purpose of the delayed offside rule is to keep the puck moving and keep the attacking happening, so that part was achieved. And everyone complaining about it not being perfectly consistent is correct too, but most of them aren't reviewed. You can ask everyone in my house though, I was yelling at the TV and their "rules analyst" Don Koharski for about 2 minutes straight because this was such an obvious onside call and he was very obviously wrong about it.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

I was shocked there was no offsides call. You can tell by Landeskog's reaction after the goal was scored that he thought it was offsides too. He didn't celebrate at all.

Anyway, apparently Kuemper still can't see out of his injured eye. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it kind of excuses him for playing so lovely this playoffs. On the other hand, if it's not healed by now, there's probably something significantly wrong and it's probably not going to be healed by the end of the playoffs and it will feel realbad if we end up losing because some rear end in a top hat tried to gouge out our goalie's eye in round 1

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Maybe Sidney Crosby could wedge his stick blade through the eye slot of a goalie's mask on purpose first try, but I guarantee you no one else could.

But yeah Kuemper clearly isn't right and between that and JMFJ Tampa is going to get yet another easy romp through the Finals.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe Sidney Crosby could wedge his stick blade through the eye slot of a goalie's mask on purpose first try, but I guarantee you no one else could

Correction: One other person could :colbert:

Also is it loving illegal to put anyone besides Jack Johnson on the ice or something?! Why the gently caress is he always out there!? We have 2 other defensemen just sitting there that could possibly be better or equal to him (no chance that they are worse).

This reminds me of last year where the Avs fans were screaming to put Byram in the game, when we were getting destroyed by Vegas and there was literally no downside to doing so. And yet, Bednar just inexplicably refused to even try it. Now Byram is finally seeing playoff action and is looking like one of our best defensemen right now.

If Bednar had a loving brain and could make rational decisions we might have been in the WCF last season. Instead, he decided Timmins and motherfucking Nemeth were both better options than Byram. And now he's decided that Jack Johnson is a better option than Murray or MacDermid

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 1, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe Sidney Crosby could wedge his stick blade through the eye slot of a goalie's mask on purpose first try, but I guarantee you no one else could.

But yeah Kuemper clearly isn't right and between that and JMFJ Tampa is going to get yet another easy romp through the Finals.

I mean, they probably would have anyway. Even Gretzky last night was like... IDK I think you probably need to try playing defense.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's the Jack Johnson effect. I didn't believe the effect could be THAT big, either, before he came to Pittsburgh and I saw it for myself.

e: Don't want to get Rangers fans overexcited too early but if the Rangers can manage to beat Tampa they are probably gonna win the Cup.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DrunkPanda posted:

Correction: One other person could :colbert:

Also is it loving illegal to put anyone besides Jack Johnson on the ice or something?! Why the gently caress is he always out there!? We have 2 other defensemen just sitting there that could possibly be better or equal to him (no chance that they are worse).

This reminds me of last year where the Avs fans were screaming to put Byram in the game, when we were getting destroyed by Vegas and there was literally no downside to doing so. And yet, Bednar just inexplicably refused to even try it. Now Byram is finally seeing playoff action and is looking like one of our best defensemen right now.

If Bednar had a loving brain and could make rational decisions we might have been in the WCF last season. Instead, he decided Timmins and motherfucking Nemeth were both better options than Byram. And now he's decided that Jack Johnson is a better option than Murray or MacDermid

I was watching the Aves Preds game with the stick incident.

It was absolutely not done on purpose. Dude was not facing or had Keumper in his direct sight, and you def can tell the defensemen bumps into his arm which causes his stick to then jab through the mask. Super bad luck on that part, like, 9/10 times you gotta think the stick blade just deflects off the cage.

That said, Preds player (I forget who it was, Johansson? Duchene?) was super sloppy , that I would agree with. Holding his stick in the air right in front of the net , he def did not have control of his stick like he should have.

Anyway, point being it was def not in purpose , and yeah I’m impressed Keumper has been toughing it when (when maybe he should not have been).

Colorado can def still win with Franscouz.

Jack Johnson puts a spell on every one of his coaches. Dude had so much bad poo poo happen to him by his parents stealing literally all his money that he just has this karma bubble built up around him I guess. So I blame his parents.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jhet posted:

Makar doesn't even move his stick towards the puck in the zone until after the touch up happens, so that's the reason the "attempted to play" the puck part is not fulfilled.

The rule doesn't say attempted to play, it says attempted to regain possession, and the justification is that he wasn't regaining possession because he already had it. That is pretty obviously nonsensical pedantry.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

The rule doesn't say attempted to play, it says attempted to regain possession, and the justification is that he wasn't regaining possession because he already had it. That is pretty obviously nonsensical pedantry.

You haven't met many referees then. That's the way they define things, with pedantry.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

I think we can all agree that NHL refs are the worst

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
it's nice to see a bunch of posts about offsides. it's good practice for when Trouba delivers an incredibly brutal (clean) headshot to Kucherov tonight. I'm ready to go

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

it's nice to see a bunch of posts about offsides. it's good practice for when Trouba delivers an incredibly brutal (clean) headshot to Kucherov tonight. I'm ready to go

As long as he's not leading with the point of his elbow and his arm is in a playing position by his side, absolutely. I've been impressed with his open ice hits this year. It's incredibly difficult to connect through the center body like he's done. I won't be surprised when he misses on one of these and absolutely gets suspended though either. Really don't see that many players making these anymore, it's right up there with hip checks on the boards being on the endangered list.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If a flagrantly dirty Matt Cooke Special to Crosby's head can't even get you penalized much less suspended then nothing can and it's open season on brains.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Eric the Mauve posted:

If a flagrantly dirty Matt Cooke Special to Crosby's head can't even get you penalized much less suspended then nothing can and it's open season on brains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcod8IS214

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Eric the Mauve posted:

Over/Under on how many attempts at killing the opposing goalie there will be this game, considering open season has been declared on goalies this post season as well?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If they gently caress with Vassy there will be riots.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Kaddish posted:

If they gently caress with Vassy there will be riots.

What do people in Tampa even have to burn down? St. Pete?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

wow. cant believe youd root for a franchise that cheats in the playoffs.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

What do people in Tampa even have to burn down? St. Pete?

Ybor I guess would burn pretty well.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
please don't wish ill upon my boyfriend kootchie, on this the month of celebrating the pride of our love

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
seriously though i dont want anyone to get hurt in this series, and head-hunting is NOT COOL folks.

except when kucherov does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmPN2AzscAg

haha look at that. hosed him up.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
That's just a good hit right there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

seriously though i dont want anyone to get hurt in this series, and head-hunting is NOT COOL folks.

That's just blatant bait to summon T-Bone to the thread

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Wonderllama posted:

Does he get bonus points or points off for when he injures them like he did Markus Nutivaara last time Tampa lost a playoff series?

E- and gets time off for it was the point.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 1, 2022

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Don’t worry guys, Kootchie won’t be a problem because trouba is real grumpy and when he gets cranky he takes out kucherov because no one has ever thought to hit kucherov before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey does anyone remember who the last team who beat Tampa in a playoff series was?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Hey does anyone remember who the last team who beat Tampa in a playoff series was?

drat I can't quite remember, hopefully someone in this thread will remind me

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Too soon.

Edit - Though I imagine Panthers fans feel similar this year.

Edit2- No, not even close.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 1, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does he get bonus points or points off for when he injures them like he did Markus Nutivaara last time Tampa lost a playoff series?

The point of this post was asking if him getting time off for the BIG HITZ was worth it. That's what I get for posting while in line at the Post Office.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

After Florida was eliminated I said that NY might have the best shot left for knocking Tampa off and I stand by that, Tampa takes a lot of penalties and if Shesterkin can shut the door the formula’s there. I still picked the Lightning to win in the predictions thread of course.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

FunOne posted:

Probably. In my mind some video ref. from a thousand miles away is going STEVE HOW DID YOU loving MISS THE GUY STANDING IN FRONT OF YOU?

If it's the one I'm thinking about I think they were also checking to decide whether the puck came back into the zone because of a Cane's player or not. Strome goal in game 5? I vaguely recall the puck kinda bounced off a Canes player and back into the zone where it was then touched by the Rangers player before his teammate could get back onside. Since it was bounced off a Canes player because of fa rangers pass or something it was still deemed offside

Jhet posted:

As long as he's not leading with the point of his elbow and his arm is in a playing position by his side, absolutely. I've been impressed with his open ice hits this year. It's incredibly difficult to connect through the center body like he's done. I won't be surprised when he misses on one of these and absolutely gets suspended though either. Really don't see that many players making these anymore, it's right up there with hip checks on the boards being on the endangered list.

I mean, he kinda missed with the Domi check. Good thing Max has his dad's skull and it didn't even phase him to get trucked directly in the head

Koopa Kid posted:

After Florida was eliminated I said that NY might have the best shot left for knocking Tampa off and I stand by that, Tampa takes a lot of penalties and if Shesterkin can shut the door the formula’s there. I still picked the Lightning to win in the predictions thread of course.

NY is either going to get obliterated or they're going to frustrate Tampa by somehow sticking around and scoring at improbable times and just be really frustrating that a team that sloppy is somehow still in it

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 1, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

All the signs/pundits/etc indicate this series will be a goalie battle.

Levitate posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking about I think they were also checking to decide whether the puck came back into the zone because of a Cane's player or not. Strome goal in game 5? I vaguely recall the puck kinda bounced off a Canes player and back into the zone where it was then touched by the Rangers player before his teammate could get back onside. Since it was bounced off a Canes player because of fa rangers pass or something it was still deemed offside

I mean, he kinda missed with the Domi check. Good thing Max has his dad's skull and it didn't even phase him to get trucked directly in the head

NY is either going to get obliterated or they're going to frustrate Tampa by somehow sticking around and scoring at improbable times and just be really frustrating that a team that sloppy is somehow still in it

I prefer the term 'plucky' over 'sloppy'.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Aphrodite posted:

The Avalanche, in 2022.

edit: sorry, I'm from the future

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Levitate posted:

Domi was falling and changed the way that hit continued. If he hadn't have fallen it would have been a completely different hit.

Maybe Trouba and Kucherov can just hit each other.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Jhet posted:

Domi was falling and changed the way that hit continued. If he hadn't have fallen it would have been a completely different hit.

Maybe Trouba and Kucherov can just hit each other.

Kuch is a precious flower and should not be touched. Just let him pass the puck for godsakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think Shesterkin can steal one but that's it