Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

...so the only shoes that don't look like crap are the limited release trainers idiots go mad for? What? That's a whole world I've very happily avoided my entire life and my shoes certainly aren't "what are those" worthy

I can forgive your ignorance but not your rudeness, so here, lemme educate ya.

This is what we're talking about. A very simple shoe, simple colours, there shouldn't be any problem making a shoe like this for mass production, right? There's no limitation in technology or manufacturing that meaningfully prevents more from being made. Yet, you won't find these for less than $2000, worn.

Think of it in terms of whatever dumb Lego theme you specifically like, it sells out instantly on day one then gets scalped. The point is that secondary markets have effectively corrupted what a company is willing to do to actually sell shoes for people to wear on their feet vs supporting a market based on arbitrage and artificial scarcity.

I mean, it's good that you've avoided this your whole life, and I totally believe this isn't something you've experienced with Lego so you can continue to feel superior :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Well, landing a new LEGO set truly isn't as extreme a challenge as a sneaker drop, unless you're after SDCC exclusives (or certain GWPs). If you miss it on day 1, it'll get made again. We sure have shifted closer in that direction since Covid, though. I mean, there have definitely been super high profile releases that sell out quickly and are hard to find again, and it didn't START with Covid (I remember some stuff from 2017 acting this way like the Falcon and Ninjago City), but it's still a new-ish direction for the hobby. Pretty obvious to draw the line to that from the huge push into adult-oriented sets - and entire themes - in the 2010s, of course.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Futanari Damacy posted:

This is what we're talking about. A very simple shoe, simple colours, there shouldn't be any problem making a shoe like this for mass production, right? There's no limitation in technology or manufacturing that meaningfully prevents more from being made. Yet, you won't find these for less than $2000, worn.

Think of it in terms of whatever dumb Lego theme you specifically like, it sells out instantly on day one then gets scalped. The point is that secondary markets have effectively corrupted what a company is willing to do to actually sell shoes for people to wear on their feet vs supporting a market based on arbitrage and artificial scarcity.

I mean, it's good that you've avoided this your whole life, and I totally believe this isn't something you've experienced with Lego so you can continue to feel superior :jerkbag:

Fun fact, wht got me into collecting shoes was because this shoe pictured above, about 12 years ago, was 60 dollars and mas produced and widely available. Not this same model, but plenty of other neat colorways. And available in large sizes (I have size 14 clown feet) Nike picked up on their popularity and now they're ultra hyped releases at 100(or more) and instantly 200 eleven minutes after release as you try and buy them second hand. Thakfully there's a cooling on the market and it can't collapse fast enough.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sexual Lorax posted:

Voluptuous Prime

…said the Sexual Lorax.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Futanari Damacy posted:

I'm well aware of how the sneaker market and artificial scarcity works. I was taking issue with your patently ridiculous assertion that the only shoes that don't look like crap are the ones sneaker heads and scalpers rush on day 1. If you want to ignore that whole world's existence and still buy nice shoes it's eminently possible.

I've also never given too much of a poo poo about getting new lego sets on release because I know I'll be able to get them later at my own leisure and maybe with a discount from other stores, and the only times I've ever missed out on sets were when I had multiple opportunities to buy them but never got around to it.

I think the demand for Lego in general has just gone through the roof lately, with loads of people re/discovering the hobby during covid, having loads of disposable income to throw at it, and a shitton of new sets in themes that appeal to a much broader range. All of that combined with general pandemic production and distribution issues has meant that its been more difficult to get the set you want exactly when you want it, but I don't think it's remotely comparable to things like sneaker/gpu/new iPhone scalping.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Luckily the Lego Website is so poo poo, no sneaker bot abomination would ever work on it. At least for now. And you can always call a store in the morning and have them set one set aside for you.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
For me the dumbest thing about shoes as collectors items is that unlike say, a painting where the point is to view and appreciate it, the purpose of a shoe is that the interior rubs against your stinky feet and the exterior touches the ground, usually the most disgusting of surfaces. Obviously collectors keep them nice in displays or the boxes, but that's no different than Lego sets people never open. And then on top of that even if you never use them the rubber still degrades over the decades on it's own, right?

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 1, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

davebo posted:

For me the dumbest thing about shoes as collectors items is that unlike say, a painting where the point is to view and appreciate it, the purpose of a shoe is that the intior rubs against your stinky feet and the exterior touches the ground, usually the most disgusting of surfaces. Obviously collectors keep them nice in displays or the boxes, but that's no different than Lego sets people never open. And then on top of that even if you never use them the rubber still degrades over the decades on it's own, right?

For these reasons, collecting shoes just make no sense to me. You spend hundreds of dollars on the shoes and you either wear them, and they become worthless, or you don't wear them and they hold value but are worthless besides just looking at them. Then after 20 years, you have a shoe that you can't touch because if you flex them, the rubber will crack. That's if the glue hasn't failed and they aren't already falling apart.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything degrades over time, my bricks from the early 80's don't clutch as well, are scratched to gently caress, and have color fading.

The universe is destroying everything all the time, it will all be dust eventually!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

xzzy posted:

Everything degrades over time, my bricks from the early 80's don't clutch as well, are scratched to gently caress, and have color fading.

The universe is destroying everything all the time, it will all be dust eventually!

loving Entropy, ruining everything since forever!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please vote for my Entropy Reverser on Lego IDEAS!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

For these reasons, collecting shoes just make no sense to me. You spend hundreds of dollars on the shoes and you either wear them, and they become worthless, or you don't wear them and they hold value but are worthless besides just looking at them. Then after 20 years, you have a shoe that you can't touch because if you flex them, the rubber will crack. That's if the glue hasn't failed and they aren't already falling apart.

The greatest achievement of capitalism was to convince people to collect anything and everything (expensive preferably) in an attempt to fill some void in their personality.

I mean take Nike, their shoes are some 3 dollar thing produced in one of the usual Asian countries and you pay a huge markup for their name and because people believe in the value of a plastic shoe sitting in some wardrobe for ages.
With Lego it is the same thing really but at least Lego has no other purpose than to be displayed or played with. Whereas a shoe has a practical application.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The world is a gently caress and nothing matters, spend your money on whatever makes you marginally happier during your brief existence in this capitalist hellscape.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The world is a gently caress and nothing matters, spend your money on whatever makes you marginally happier during your brief existence in this capitalist hellscape.

:(:hf::(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Except planet Shoe. Attempt no scalping there.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah this happens all the time and by the time it arrives at my house is I ever make the mistake of checking the price I'll truck myself into never wearing them :(

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Sent an email regarding my missing GWP and they gave me VIP points to compensate:

quote:

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I'm sorry to hear the 40533 Cardboard Adventures promo set wasn't added on to your order! I'll be happy to take a look for you.:)

I'm afraid it looks like this set has indeed been sold out, so it was automatically removed from your order once this was confirmed in the system. I'm sorry about that!

We do want you to have the best experience with us, so I've added 2600 VIP points to your account instead. I hope you can put them towards a discount voucher or another cool VIP reward! :)

I hope this helps! If there's anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Sexual Lorax posted:

Voluptuous Prime

Looks like it's time to make a Convoy.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

w00tazn posted:

Sent an email regarding my missing GWP and they gave me VIP points to compensate:

Ugh I'm going to have to become a midnight release person if I want that forestmen set aren't i

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Creator Expert 1995 Ford Taurus.

Hey if they can make it an SHO with the Yamaha V6, with that intake manifold packed full of macaroni elbows, I'd be down

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mameluke posted:

Ugh I'm going to have to become a midnight release person if I want that forestmen set aren't i

To be fair, the Cardboard Adventures GWP had been around for weeks. It didn't come out and then immediately sell out, it got extended for some reason but then sold out in the US with the rush of orders this morning.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
FYI Starry Night is available for back order again (US).

Also Optimus is in stock again if anyone missed it last night.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way looks like they'll be increasing the prices on a bunch of sets later this year, up to ~25%. These are just the European prices but it's assumed to be international

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-preiserhoehung-september-2022/#liste-der-sets-die-teurer-werden(In German but use auto-translate)

I wonder if they overextended too much and are having money issues again or if this is an inflation thing

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 1, 2022

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

RatHat posted:

By the way looks like they'll be increasing the prices on a bunch of sets later this year, up to ~25%. These are just the European prices but it's assumed to be international

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-preiserhoehung-september-2022/#liste-der-sets-die-teurer-werden(In German but use auto-translate)

I wonder if they overextended too much and are having money issues again or if this is an inflation thing

The article is talking about how, according to Lego company, this is because of the increased costs of doing business, but some of these are pretty crazy, like the ones for creator cars (Porsche, Mustang) which both have around 20% increase, but apparently they already had an increase last year from their original price so the total increase from the initial price is more like 30%. That's pretty nuts, especially as the article points out that Lego seems to have record earnings lately.

Subjectively, Lego sets really seem to be more expensive than ever, which is probably exacerbated by their constant releases of huge adult-aimed sets of 3-4000 pieces or more. It really makes me think a bit before I buy if I really should, much more so than in the past. Certainly my own purchasing has gone down looking strictly at the number of sets. Things like the Star Wars trash compactor of course don't help with this perception and neither does the fact that the GWP threshold seems to be getting higher and higher in general (this was also pointed out in one of the comments to this article).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My orders page still doesn’t reflect last nights order. They must be a bit slammed.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Starry Starry Nicht

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I feel complete

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got any clever ideas for filling in those corners? I'm fairly happy with everything in this assembly (I even like the stud height recess) but I got stuck on the corners.

Obviously there's no pieces that fit in there (part 35787 is a stopgap I'm considering) so I'm thinking either cover them up somehow or scrap the tiles completely and build "sideways" like the surrounding bricks are.. which I've done a little bit of that before, but I've never built a circle into a lego wall so I'm not sure it's doable. Or I could square it off and live with a square landing pad.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 1, 2022

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Use a stud and a 2x2 radar dish in trans yellow to make guide lights, maybe?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
^^^Yeah, that's what I thought. Or throw in some more greeblies, or maybe cover it with refueling tanks.

So this account on r/legoleak posted that lego is going to be increasing prices 5 to 25% in September, including sets already in print. This account has posted accurate leaks before.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Legoleak/comments/v2hx90/probably_the_worst_news_to_ever_hit_this_sub_lego/

It could definitely cut into my impulse purchases.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I better buy up the two modulars I don’t have yet before their prices go up!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xzzy posted:

Anyone got any clever ideas for filling in those corners? I'm fairly happy with everything in this assembly (I even like the stud height recess) but I got stuck on the corners.

Obviously there's no pieces that fit in there (part 35787 is a stopgap I'm considering) so I'm thinking either cover them up somehow or scrap the tiles completely and build "sideways" like the surrounding bricks are.. which I've done a little bit of that before, but I've never built a circle into a lego wall so I'm not sure it's doable. Or I could square it off and live with a square landing pad.

Can you replace the plates in the recess with tiles? Or raise the whole pad up one stud?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

deoju posted:

^^^Yeah, that's what I thought. Or throw in some more greeblies, or maybe cover it with refueling tanks.

I have played around with it, it's just a question of coming up with the right greebles. It doesn't really cover the holes either, at least not without creeping over the yellow line. Which I'm not against, it just needs to look cool enough.

HootTheOwl posted:

Can you replace the plates in the recess with tiles? Or raise the whole pad up one stud?

Yeah but I don't think that fixes the hole, it just gives me an extra plate of thickness to mess with. I'm thinking about it though.

The four ideas I got so far, will just stew on it for a bit. The square designs don't really match the old classic space landing pad baseplate I'm trying to mimic but I do kinda like the dashed line look. Circles in lego are never easy.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Personally, I think the one with the right-triangle tile, or the one with the dashed yellow, are closest in spirit to this. Though actually, having the studs in the corners and not covering them up isn’t that off-base either.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Both answers on the right look good
E: if the whole thing is recessed I was suggesting embossing it instead. The curves then just rest on tiles flush with the rest of the pad.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

:eyepop:

Whelp, used VIP points to get the only three of them in stock... but now I have to try and figure out three sets I want to get shipped.... wonder how bad of an idea it would be to buy minifig blind bags from the lego store vs feeling them up in person

xzzy posted:

Might have to gently caress around with the height, but is there any way you could snot these 30099 half archesinto place around it? Seems like they might fit together unexpectedly well at first glance

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Might have to gently caress around with the height, but is there any way you could snot these 30099 half archesinto place around it? Seems like they might fit together unexpectedly well at first glance

Arches do sit flush with curved tiles, that's what I used for the hood of my landspeeder from way back.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

When did Lego start using LaserShip? They are the worst.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It would be weird for Lego to increase the price on Optimus in a couple of months when it only came out yesterday. Why not just start with the increased price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Putting together the McLaren F1 and the front suspension is amazing. It is really cool to see how it all comes together and really appreciate not just the engineering in the actual car, but how they make it happen with plastic bits and bobs. I'm not an F1 fan, but I love that livery. It's beautiful so far. And long. Holy crap is it long. Which is also the title of my sex tape.

And I just ordered the new Ferrari. May God have mercy on my bank account.