Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Yeah this is definitely a season for people who care more about plot advancement and character development than activity variety

Good plot advancement and character development, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Crow not being a guilt-laden sad sack all the time is good

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
One thing they did kinda well is establish that Crow is a unique individual and not just Uldren, and the sins of Uldren don't pass on to Crow, even though he has all his memories etc

But also

Savathun 2.0 has her memories and we all agree the bitch is back and we gotta unalive her asap

Holladay is so dead lol. Bungie cranks the "Is a crazy bitch" knob to 11 when it's time for somebody to get dead

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

So long as Amanda shuts the hell up lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The way they are doing storytelling week by week now is good but not the mode of character development being literally persona 4’s “you’re not me!!” to a ghost (doesn’t work) and then “oh, you are me” (works)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Usability tip: The Destiny 2 Android app seems to have better inventory management than in-game. You can swap gear to/from the Vault at will, even if you're not in the Tower or H.E.L.M. You can run that Android app on Windows

1. Go to the Windows Store and download the Amazon Appstore Preview (yes, Microsoft is having people install a store from a store).
2. Install and restart
3. Open the Amazon Appstore app and install Destiny 2 Companion
4. Open Destiny 2 Companion and login however you login
5. Use your mouse and have the Destiny 2 Companion app open in Windows while playing Destiny
6. Post about Destiny

Note: This will enable the Android Subsystem for Windows, which in turn enables Hyper-V on the backend. If you don't know what these are then you probably don't care, and if you do then you probably know not to do this on your work's domain controller or something.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
…or you can just use DIM, which everyone itt already does.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I...did not know DIM let you swap gear live. :stare:

I'm starting to think that half the fun of Destiny is figuring out how to play Destiny. On that note: how do I start the Report: REVERSE-LURE question? I.e. I want to get more than the starting Glaive, which I managed to get before the last season ended.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PERMACAV 50 posted:

…or you can just use DIM, which everyone itt already does.

^^ what she said. Just use DIM

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You have to do all the other quests on the board, which have varying requirements. Most annoyingly you will have to get patterns for and shape throne world weapons, which can take a very long time

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

haveblue posted:

You have to do all the other quests on the board, which have varying requirements. Most annoyingly you will have to get patterns for and shape throne world weapons, which can take a very long time

Thanks. Time to do the Witch Queen campaign then.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Honestly though why be so salty? It sounds like you play in a premade which means it doesn't affect you. And saying 'be the one doing the stomping' doesn't fix that the game mode is horribly unbalanced and almost every game is a stomp.

If you don't play in a team, the mode is absolutely dogshit, and me going for the objective, or jumping off a cliff, or shooting opponents, or emoting at a wall makes absolutely no difference to the objective. The first few games I honestly tried, and then by the third game I started jumping off the cliff because nothing I did mattered - even jumping off a cliff as it happens. So I started working on bounties instead because why the hell not?

Dip into the freeplay list for a match or two, it's absolutely awful. The game fundamentally doesn't work without a premade voice team, so me loving around has literally zero affect.

And saying "Just don't play it" when it's replaced normal Iron Banner, this early in the season when every pinnacle matters, and it's right there bugging me with a milestone and quest until I do it, all the devs are saying to play it, they've been advertising it for months, and there's an in game popup telling me to play it, i'm going to grind it out because the pinnacles help with the other game modes that I do like.

what part of "don't be a toxic shithead" is hard to understand? if you play a team mode, try, or don't play.

If your whole team has agreed to just jump of a cliff to run matches out quick, then yeah, go buckwild, but if it seems like other people want to try, you're being a poo poo who is making 5 other player's time worse, and I almost hope you get hit with a penalty or temp ban. I say this as someone who thinks the mode is dumb and bad and agree that bungie fucks up constantly by badly incentivizing content. An optimal path to rewards should never involve griefing teammates, but I think it's debatable if that's what they've done here.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Bust Rodd posted:

Except the plot for accomplishing it was literally do a thing, it fails. Then do that thing again, completely unchanged, but it succeeds this time? And they don't even get rid of the ghost, they just become buddies.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Eris explains that the ghost isn’t really the ghost of Uldren Sov, it’s Crow’s deepest fears about who Uldren was. Now it’s it’s more like a stan from Jo-Jos bizarre adventure, it’s like a reflection of the best that Uldren ever was. I agree 100% that all the major character development happened over the course of a week completely offscreen, in which Crow did a bunch of cool and heroic poo poo while soul searching by himself somewhere awesome while I was running strikes for my pinnacle.

The Amanda Holliday message really gave me vibes like they were more than friends, is there lore of them hanging out or going missions?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Eris explains that the ghost isn’t really the ghost of Uldren Sov, it’s Crow’s deepest fears about who Uldren was. Now it’s it’s more like a stan from Jo-Jos bizarre adventure, it’s like a reflection of the best that Uldren ever was. I agree 100% that all the major character development happened over the course of a week completely offscreen, in which Crow did a bunch of cool and heroic poo poo while soul searching by himself somewhere awesome while I was running strikes for my pinnacle.

The Amanda Holliday message really gave me vibes like they were more than friends, is there lore of them hanging out or going missions?

We got that one lore book where Crow lets Eris fire off a Golden Gun so that was good.

(And like, the voiced lines in between Severs where you go talk to Crow and Eris through the Crown of Sorrow is part of that development. Crow knows he hosed up the first time and has to do better, Eris contemplates that the first approach didn’t work. Then they try again in the second Sever and it works. Now Crow’s reconciled with Uldren and is now on his way to becoming the new Hunter Vanguard and maybe also un-corrupting the Scorn)

I think it was Season of the Chosen, the one that introduced Caital and when Crow was still wearing the mask, that had banter between Crow and Amanda in certain proving grounds strikes (even one ending with Crow asking her out for drinks) and lore pages with them hanging out. And I think it was season of the lost or witch queen that had a lore page where Amanda was even building a Hawkemoon themed sparrow for him before she found out he was Uldren. I really don’t get this hate for Amanda, she’s clearly struggling to reconcile that Crow was once Uldren and fights happen.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 1, 2022

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Like the explanation for IB has to be that there’s some game lead that has a huge boner for rift that knew nobody would play it unless they shoved it into a feature playlist, right?

Because I refuse to believe a sentient person thought this was a good match for a mass appeal PVP event????

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bust Rodd posted:

It was mostly post-activity dialogue in S13 and some lore tabs but iirc there was stuff about them meeting for drinks. It was very open for interpretation, though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm personally most curious about how on earth they're going to try and possibly redeem Good Ghost Ghaul after the whole, you know, murdering tons and tons of people thing. At least Uldren was being manipulated while grieving for his sister, Ghaul's just a dude who loves war.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I'm personally most curious about how on earth they're going to try and possibly redeem Good Ghost Ghaul after the whole, you know, murdering tons and tons of people thing. At least Uldren was being manipulated while grieving for his sister, Ghaul's just a dude who loves war.

I think it’s less redeem Ghaul and more helping Caitial break the cycle of “Cabal Leaders tunnel visioning their species to doom” which happens to take the form of Ghaul. Happened to Calus with opulence, happened to Ghaul with the Traveler, and Caitial’s slowly becoming the same way trying to hunt her father down. And remember, these aren’t actual ghosts, they’re just representations of people’a fear and shame projecting onto them.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
When you get stomped in Control at least you get to run around, when you get stomped in Rift you’re mostly staring at your ghost or a black screen. It feels bad to dabble in it. I think their IB player numbers will tank real hard by the weekend.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

not really redeeming Ghaul, it's reconciling Caitl's memories of Ghaul as a guy who was more of a father figure to her than Calus, with her doubts and regrets of betraying Calus and also putting the Cabal on the path to where they are now.

Likewise Ikora's nightmare is Cayde and Zavala's is his mortal wife- who by the two or three lore pieces I've read so far was definitely his better half. It's not about the character of the nightmare, it's what they represent to the dreamer.

So uh, what sgtsteel said.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ohhyeah posted:

When you get stomped in Control at least you get to run around, when you get stomped in Rift you’re mostly staring at your ghost or a black screen. It feels bad to dabble in it. I think their IB player numbers will tank real hard by the weekend.

But that's when the rep modifiers go cray cray! The weekend will be Riftaganza

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Ah hell we’re gonna have to hear more of Nolan North’s Nathan Fillion impression aren’t we.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The 6 week rotation seems to be a

Mission 1 - gently caress you, demon
Mission 2 - I accept you, demon

for Crow, then Zavala, then Caital

There's a 7th week of Story in a classified triumph, right? I bet either Ikora or Eris gets a brief moment in the Plot Spotlight at the end of the season

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the nightmares aren't monsters coming from space to attack us, the moon pyramid appears to be pulling them out of the psyche of whoever's nearby. Crow ended his conflict by accepting that fighting the nightmare was a mistake and while he couldn't get rid of it they didn't have to be enemies. Zavala and Caiatl are probably going to have similar arcs. I hope they built the Leviathan environments to accommodate Caiatl's model so we can go on a haunted house adventure together

VanillaGorilla posted:

Like the explanation for IB has to be that there’s some game lead that has a huge boner for rift that knew nobody would play it unless they shoved it into a feature playlist, right?

Because I refuse to believe a sentient person thought this was a good match for a mass appeal PVP event????

Maybe someone thought D1 Rift would be a good fit, and wasn't necessarily even wrong, but then someone else pointed out that it had to be updated for the new game design and that process got away from everyone

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But that's when the rep modifiers go cray cray! The weekend will be Riftaganza

No one cares about rep when actually playing the game is unbearable. Nobody did the challenge to get 2000 kills with a fusion rifle while underleveled either

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Pirate Jet posted:

Ah hell we’re gonna have to hear more of Nolan North’s Nathan Fillion impression aren’t we.

They might not even need to do that, they could just put a spooky filter over D1 lines like they did for Presage.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Honestly though why be so salty? It sounds like you play in a premade which means it doesn't affect you. And saying 'be the one doing the stomping' doesn't fix that the game mode is horribly unbalanced and almost every game is a stomp.

If you don't play in a team, the mode is absolutely dogshit, and me going for the objective, or jumping off a cliff, or shooting opponents, or emoting at a wall makes absolutely no difference to the objective. The first few games I honestly tried, and then by the third game I started jumping off the cliff because nothing I did mattered - even jumping off a cliff as it happens. So I started working on bounties instead because why the hell not?

Dip into the freeplay list for a match or two, it's absolutely awful. The game fundamentally doesn't work without a premade voice team, so me loving around has literally zero affect.

And saying "Just don't play it" when it's replaced normal Iron Banner, this early in the season when every pinnacle matters, and it's right there bugging me with a milestone and quest until I do it, all the devs are saying to play it, they've been advertising it for months, and there's an in game popup telling me to play it, i'm going to grind it out because the pinnacles help with the other game modes that I do like.
You're making it worse for everyone else by being a selfish prick.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Posting to say I love Rift lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Why are people upset that I am purposefully helping the enemy teams chances of winning in PvP???????????????????????

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
Rift was clearly designed by groups of people sitting around together playing as teams. In that environment I'm sure it's a blast, but solo it is definitely a slog. Even just shortening the match time and reducing the score cap to 3 would go a long way.

I get the intention of the long respawn timers but it feels awful in practice. Once people learn to start rezzing each other it will be better but they need to be adjusted. Maybe have different timers for freelance vs team would help, or timers dependent on if other teammates are near you. Especially on the new map getting sniped when you're way out in the swamp and sitting for 10 seconds with no other players in sight is terrible.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Aqua Dracula posted:

Rift was clearly designed by groups of people sitting around together playing as teams. In that environment I'm sure it's a blast, but solo it is definitely a slog. Even just shortening the match time and reducing the score cap to 3 would go a long way.

I get the intention of the long respawn timers but it feels awful in practice. Once people learn to start rezzing each other it will be better but they need to be adjusted. Maybe have different timers for freelance vs team would help, or timers dependent on if other teammates are near you. Especially on the new map getting sniped when you're way out in the swamp and sitting for 10 seconds with no other players in sight is terrible.

On a remotely competent team it's also really boring.

1) Clear the enemy team off the spark
2) Grab spark
3) Clear enemy team once again
4) Go dunk

Rinse and repeat. The long respawn timers are infuriating because it leaves the enemy teams rift completely vulnerable, and with locked spawn locations, you can sit at the enemy rift and team shot the enemy team as they spawn in one at a time.

It's not unfixable, but in its current state, it's very very bad.

Reduce the respawn timer to 5 seconds.
Get rid of rounds.
unlock the spawn locations.
Institute a mercy rule of some sort.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We’ve all dunked on Bobby and he said he was being a knob, let’s give it a rest, but in general if a behavior would get you reported by your own teammates, don’t post about doing it ITT.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Aqua Dracula posted:

Yeah, this is basically the primary scenario in which CTF game modes are fun, the second is when no-one has to take it seriously or there's not really any stakes (24/7 2Fort, Battlefield Series) Also, the game just being actually well balanced around it helps a ton too, which is definitely not the case for Destiny.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Really though, Iron banner should have been supremacy.
In fact, supremacy should always be available all the time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FlapYoJacks posted:

Really though, Iron banner should have been supremacy.
In fact, supremacy should always be available all the time.

Wisdom

And if IB needs to have a "Hunt" mechanic they can just have 30 seconds of wolf howl triggered by a team collecting 6 motes unanswered or something

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wisdom

And if IB needs to have a "Hunt" mechanic they can just have 30 seconds of wolf howl triggered by a team collecting 6 motes unanswered or something

:hmmyes:

I miss ganking teammates crests from the enemy. :smith:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Why are Bungo talking about team comp strategies when they know drat well the IB Freelance Playlist exists and is how many players will be playing the mode?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Presumably because Bungie in their infinite wisdom believe that people have friends

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I have friends, but only 2 of them play Destiny and it's hard to wrangle them together at the same time, much less for frustrating pvp modes.

I can't really remember the last time I played a particularly competitive team game with friends. It's way more fun to either do co-op or something fully in-house. It's hard to say if i miss the days of playing stuff like mobas, cause i feel like so often people would walk away feeling sour, I couldn't see something like Iron Banner with a team of friends faring much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Once again the Serious Overchill discord is open for all