Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Let's talk about why Mercadia needs to come back.

My Lin Sivvi commander deck needs more Rebels, and also we need more Ramos parts (i.e. Nose of Ramos, Tongue of Ramos, Ear of Ramos) as two color two CMC mana rocks, so I'm all for more Mercadia

Party Miser posted:

They really need to do it like that because some nerds are insufferable with interpretations. I once saw a nerd at Gencon get mad and yell at a concession worker because the sign said “hot dogs $5" and they only got one.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

This guy is such a whiner.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

anybody taking bets on when this weiner gets cancelled? I'd like to put $20 on "ousted by scg management by the end of this week"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

This guy is such a whiner.
he's right and you're a dipshit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kalel posted:

anybody taking bets on when this weiner gets cancelled? I'd like to put $20 on "ousted by scg management by the end of this week"

This isnt gonna happen

Captain Invictus posted:

Cancel culture isnt real

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Captain Invictus posted:

Way to show your whole rear end

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

im guessing we have some confusion about who "he" is in the statements at issue and that the dispute is entirely about confusion over that

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Specifically, taking the most uncharitable reading of the ambiguous pronoun possible, instead of just asking for clarification.

HootTheOwl, which person is such a whiner?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Leperflesh posted:

Specifically, taking the most uncharitable reading of the ambiguous pronoun possible, instead of just asking for clarification.

HootTheOwl, which person is such a whiner?
yeah if he's talking about the guy referenced in the tweet, I agree. if he's talking about the guy who posted the tweet, I stand by my statement

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I know we all kinda dunk on hoot a lot but its real dickish to assume he agrees with the scg guy tbh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
likewise

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Moving so fast to scold someone I leave a dusty after-image behind like when the Hollywood guy tells Homer about the craft services table in the Radioactive Man episode.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I typed up an exegesis and deleted it. Suffice to say, Pete and SCG are about making the most money possible, and engagement and player experience are a very distant second, and he is about as much of a chud as you think he is.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm talking about Pete. The subject of the tweet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Looks like everyone agreed with each other. I see it as a win.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Lol

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I retract my whole rear end-showing quip, then.

Glad we're all adults.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

I brought my Drake posted:

I typed up an exegesis and deleted it. Suffice to say, Pete and SCG are about making the most money possible, and engagement and player experience are a very distant second, and he is about as much of a chud as you think he is.

This should be blindingly obvious to everyone but for whatever reason somehow isn't.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
2-1 with manaless dredge lol

Flayer of the hatebound is good

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm talking about Pete. The subject of the tweet.

Thanks. Captain Invictus' fate is sealed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

Moving so fast to scold someone I leave a dusty after-image behind like when the Hollywood guy tells Homer about the craft services table in the Radioactive Man episode.

Haven't had a rush like this since that one poster mixed up Sam Black and Ben Stark

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Whoa whoa whoa we dont play magic in this thread

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

Whoa whoa whoa we dont play magic in this thread

I will never stop posting. Hell, I'll post trip reports for everyone to scroll past

HootTheOwl posted:

ilmucche posted:

Going to have to accept I'm a bad MTG player playing 12post.

Think I'll go back to big pile of triggers that is manaless dredge for a bit
Never stop posting

:colbert:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fadam posted:

*me, a guy with encyclopedic knowledge of every Simpsons episode* ah, yes

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Shelf trim is going in now. The piece on top is finished with tung oil and is what the exterior is going to look like. It should darken over time as well.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

I thought MDFCs made manaless an unnecessary configuration?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

kalel posted:

*me, a guy with encyclopedic knowledge of every Simpsons episode* ah, yes
absolutely shameful to not have said encyclopedic knowledge

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I played at the same lgs as the guy that first put up tournament results with it when dark ascension was new and wrote an article about it. Agree that flayer seems like the one card you would want as a dedicated dread return target above anything else you could possibly put in the deck.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

I will never stop posting. Hell, I'll post trip reports for everyone to scroll past

:colbert:

Post your decklist and a full tournament report

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I didn't edit this, here you go.
Decklist:
Roughly split into dredgers/starters/enablers/payoffs
4 Golgari Grave-Troll
4 Stinkweed Imp
4 Golgari Thug
1 Shambling Shell
4 Ichorid
4 Narcomoeba
4 Nether Shadow
3 Prized Amalgam
4 Phantasmagorian
4 Street Wraith
4 Bridge from Below
4 Once Upon a Time
4 Cabal Therapy
3 Dread Return
2 Chancellor of the Annex
3 Balustrade Spy
1 Flame-Kin Zealot
1 Flayer of the Hatebound
2 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis

Side
1 Ashen Rider
3 Contagion
2 Faerie Macabre
4 Force of Vigor
3 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Surgical Extraction

For those who don't know, manaless is a gimmick deck that's real fun to play but real fragile to any sort of hate. You hope to be on the draw in all your games so you can discard to hand size, ideally a phantasmagorian or a dredger, then start dredging threats onto the board and dread returning payoffs or casting hogaak.

Round 1 - Doomsday
Opponent won the die roll, chose to go first.
Game 1
He opens underground sea, ponder. I discard a phantasmagorian to the yard
Second land and he sculpts some more. In his second main I discard a grave troll + stuff to phantasmagorian and street wraith to dredge 6. I whiff on narcomaebas but see an amalgam and ichorid. My turn 2 I put ichorid in and get in for 3 then pass with 2 amalgams and a narcomaeba on the table, and a flame-kin and dread return in the yard. Wasn't able to return it during the turn.
Turn 3 he doomsdays and goes to 8, so I can probably get the kill if he passes. He doesn't and goes for a fast pile, casting oracle with 2 cards left and getting the win that turn.

Boarding some number of: +Contagion +Force of Vigor, -Balustrade Spy -Prized Amalgam -Flame-kin Zealot -Hogaak
Game 2
He puts two leylines on the table and thoughtseizes me. I have a contagion in hand and some black cards but everything is dead while the leylines are there and I'm looking for a force. He builds a gameplan while I discard into exile, eventually sitting with 2 contagions and hoping when he doomsdays that he'll oracle with cards in the deck again. Unfortanately he plays it with 0 cards left and my contagions don't get there. Had a good discussion with my opponent around playing one leyline vs two at the start and the matchup in general.

Loss 2-0

Round 2 - BR Midrage Pile?
I win the die roll and choose to draw. My opponent knows what's up
Game 1
Turn 1 thoughtseize, he takes something that wasn't a dredger. I have phantasmagorian, street wraith and dredgers in hand. I draw to 7
Turn 2 inquisition of kozilek, he takes something that wasn't a dredger. I draw to 7
Turn 3 he draws for turn and says "I can't play this." Hoping it was a hymn to tourach or something. He plays some cards and I get to discard. Next turn he plays kroxa, I discard again and get to crash in on my turn filling the board with hogaak + zombies and dread returning a flame kin.

Boarding +Leyline of sanctity +Surgical +Force, -Balustrade -Amalgam -Bridge

Game 2 - My opponent very nicely let me have the play
I open a hand with a Force of Vigor and black cards. I keep it hoping it'll be good enough.
It isn't. He puts leyline on the table, then hits me with 5 discard spells across 3 or 4 turns to grind me out

Game 3
My opening 7 is garbage. No sideboard, no dredgers so :siren:I mulligan manaless dredge:siren:
Keep a hand with Force, 2 thugs, cabal therapy, surgical and nether shadow. No green card
No leyline! Turn 1 fetch and I have a long think about whether I want to surgical it, decide not to. He thoughtseizes and takes Force of Vigor so I surgical his thoughtseize. I draw a force of vigor and pass with 5 cards in hand think I'm screwed
Turn 2 inquisition taking nether shadow. He might've done something else.
Turn 3 he plays Hidetsugu Consumes All. I draw a Street Wraith
Turn 4, yard gets exiled and he plays an inquisition. My hand is Force of Vigor, 2xGolgari Thug, Cabal Therapy, ichorid and street wraith. He picks golgari thug and passes. I immediately cycle wraith to dredge and he realizes his mistake.
A GGT is in the bin now so I can dredge 6 and get a narcomaeba in play. He plays a kroxa so I throw away my GGT to dredge next turn. Get hit with the flipped saga but am not too worried.
Dredge 6, have a board. He hits me his next turn but I force of vigor his enchantment creature, then flip the deck and flayer of the hatebound/GGT him my next turn winning off of his mistake. He later said he was really worried about me getting to cabal therapy him but I'm not sure why considering I had no bridges and no board.

Win 2-1

Round 3 - Bant Control
I've played post against this guy a bunch and we played before rounds started. We get to sit at the big table and he says "Big table for big mana", sure. He wins and chooses to play.

Game 1
Turn 1 he plays a fetch pass. I once upon a time, normal for post, and take ichorid. He figures it out. I ditch phantasmagorian
Turn 2 land pass. In his main I discard to phantas and street wraith a GGT to dredge. Whiff so I discard some more. He fetches and plays sylvan library. I get a creature in on my turn and cabal therapy naming endurance, then start whittling his life total
He sculpts, eventually uro hits the bin. We go back and forth but I'm able to grind him down and a bit then return a flame-kin to get him low, and he scoops unable to deal with the wider board.

Boarding: +leyline of sanctity +surgical +forces, - a combination of chancellors, amalgams, balustrade spies and Once upon a time

Game 2 - He thinks real hard then decides he wants the draw
I get leyline in my opener but no dredgers. I take a risk thinking I'd rather have leyline and then draw into a dredger with some protection
I draw 5 or 6 cards but hit no dredgers. The occasional ichorid gets in but I sit there and do nothing for most of the game as he develops and can sculpt into dealing with the few creatures that hit the board.

Game 3
No sideboard cards in hand but a decent one with ichorids, cabal therapy, phantas, surigcal etc.
He goes turn 1 fetch, and I figure why not and surgical the fetch. I see: swords, plains, life from the loam(!), 2 force of negation and brainstorm. Lucky hit as he was hoping to loam to stabilize his mana. I draw for turn, pass and he starts to brainstorm/ponder over the next few turns. The occasional ichorid or nether shadow got in which would eat swords so I can't get value. Eventually he gets uro in the bin and starts asking about my bridge count as I gom indicating means for removal so I try and slow roll my grind.
I phantasmagorian for only 3 cards worried about endurance and am able to cabal therapy him, again naming endurance. He still had some forces and endless detour?? We go back and forth with him reluctant to tap out. I manage to stick some creatures and he force of wills a hogaak.
Some back and forth as he stabilizes around 15 life with uro in play. I figure I need to go for it with him having 3 mana open and at least a FoN and endless detour in hand.
With 3 dread returns, flayer, a GGT, a bunch of creatures and 2 bridges in the yard I put a dread return on the stack. He hardcasts force of negation to counter it, but he can't stop the second and third bringing back flayer of the hatebound and GGT for the win

Win 2-1

Overall I think the deck can sneak by if the hate isn't there, and there are opponents willing to mull into oblivion to find it. Leylines are hard to deal with but I prefer fighting them to getting hit with thalia (no answers), containment priest or lavinia type effects. Anything that comes in after turn 1 and can remove the board like endurance/tormod's crypt/relic is even more dangerous as they let an opponent pick their moment and take out resources that have been committed at a key time.

There are flex spots in the Prized Amalgam and Chancellor spots, and even Once Upon a Time isn't always played. Vine Dryad can fill that spot as a means to get a creature on board to sac, as well as people running full sets of chancellor or oracle as another win condition. There's even a list playing lands in the sideboard.

Changes I'd probably make are finding my 4th leyline of sanctity for the sideboard and having a think about the chancellors. Three spies and amalgams can work, but a card like chancellor as a 2 of is a bit dodgy as most cards want to be 4 ofs in the list so either go to 4 or cut and go with something else. Definitely want a 4th dread return in the deck as 3 can occasionally eat just too many counters and stall out.

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought MDFCs made manaless an unnecessary configuration?
Admittedly I haven't played oops, but have played against oops, but I think the decks are looking at winning in different ways. Looking at this oops list, it looks to be more all in on flipping the deck as a combo and resolving a thassa's oracle and whereas although flipping the deck is a good plan for manaless in game 1 the deck more looks to grind and survive in game 2 and 3, winning on board with creatures. With the fast mana cards and MDFCs the deck loses the starters of nether shadow and ichorid, as well as stuff like amalgam/phantas/hogaak that advance the slower plan. I'd consider them two different decks looking to win two different ways despite both having no natural lands.

From a more personal perspective it was nice to sit and play something different for a bit. When I posted a week and a half ago about going 2-4 with post I'd made some bad plays during the day and I was playing matches with my hands shaking because of nerves. Manaless is a goofy deck, people tend to have a good time playing against it and joke around knowing it's being played in the room because it's so unique (and poo poo). I like playing post, but I feel stressed playing it and haven't had the chance to change up and play modern tokens/jank midrange or anything so it was nice to just have fun jamming something silly and discuss deckbuilding and different matchups. Magic is supposed to be fun and when it stops being fun it's time to mix it up.

Anyways, chocolate frosty as the drink please. I like to dip my fries in them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ilmucche posted:

I didn't edit this, here you go.

how did you remember all this? Did you keep records of your matches while you were playing them?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

kalel posted:

how did you remember all this? Did you keep records of your matches while you were playing them?

Nope, but it was last night so still fairly fresh and it was only 3 rounds. A bunch of the "we go back and forth" has some decisions cut out because I don't remember the specifics. Wrote a bunch, remembered some stuff and added it in, keep dumping it out etc. I guess that is editing stuff.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/Kv9oiFwlmEU

Prof makes good on a pledge goal. Not sure if ICP show up in the video.

Tappy Toe Claws: "I don't think I've ever seen a more accurate visual representation of psychic damage being inflicted on another human being"

Jiro fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 1, 2022

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like they pulled the trigger. Good for them!

https://blog.cardkingdom.com/a-letter-to-the-card-kingdom-community/

ck blog posted:

... On Tuesday, May 17th, we received a formal petition from the National Labor Relations Board for the creation of a union representing approximately 180 employees in our Ballard Warehouse. As we embark on this legal process, we wanted to share a bit more with you about our approach to business as owners and leaders of Card Kingdom.

Also here's a local news story on the situation that came out recently:

https://www.kuow.org/stories/unrest-in-the-kingdom?fbclid=IwAR1fLI-ToYf4l8utqZc3z-PomZzVrOTor5HXrRvWmAhwEESVbA7EJEqvfSk

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

i'll be happy when i see it actually get to happen. too much anti-union talk is dressed up as 'we respect everyone's rights and love our employees, we just want to really make sure they're well-informed and can make the Correct Decision :) :) :)'

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
it's been a crapshoot up to now whether the brothers would actually recognize the union but this blog post sorta sets them in a bad spot if they dont. there's a lot that will happen immediately if they don't recognize, starting with a strike, which considering one hour of missed shipments due to technical issues can be catastrophic, a full shift stoppage would cripple the business

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know what happened with the tcgplayer employees union? Didn't all the staff get locked out at one point?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Love too frame this going to an NLRB vote as "putting the matter in the hands of our employees" rather than "this happened because we chose not to recognize the union"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

flatluigi posted:

i'll be happy when i see it actually get to happen. too much anti-union talk is dressed up as 'we respect everyone's rights and love our employees, we just want to really make sure they're well-informed and can make the Correct Decision :) :) :)'

they're definitely doing that:

quote:

The question of whether or not to create a Card Kingdom union should not be up to us. Along with our co-owner James Buckley, we represent only three voices within the company. Particularly because Washington state is not a right-to-work state, we want to ensure that all employees who would be part of a union have the opportunity to represent their individual interests and opinions on the matter.

With the petition to the NLRB, the decision to create a union will now be in the hands of our employees through a secret ballot vote. Regardless of the result, we are here to support our employees. Our interest and intent are to transparently provide information about our policies and practices, so our employees feel confident when making this decision.

that said they seem to be soft-pedaling it, which is an improvement over the norm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
don't be fooled, they've sent company wide emails explaining why unions are bad and have possible hired an anti union lawyer