Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I like the idea of being "sick".

Am I now in a gang? Leaving Tesco's car park today an NB, I think, was coming in, and he waved at me, and I gave a thumbs up.

Also, last week, I drove in behind this amazing-coloured NA.

I was going to compliment the driver on their choice of colour, but they were much younger and prettier than me, and I didn't want to be a creeper.

Two big bags of shopping, easy. I think I'm going to like this car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah I didn't actually realise owning an MX5 was an automatic gang admission until old fellas tootling around in them were waving at me when I took it up to the lake district after getting it.

You'll also sometimes come out of the shop to find another MX5 sat next to yours, sometimes more :3:

Space wise they're honestly more than big enough for day to day stuff and living in the UK you can get everything else delivered anyway so it's honestly fine as an only car.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I had a screenshot of a Twitter thread (which I can no longer find) of someone asking "What's something that seems like a cult, but isn't?" and the very first reply was "Miata owners."

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You'll also sometimes come out of the shop to find another MX5 sat next to yours, sometimes more :3:

Already looking forward to this.

Just had to drop my daughter off at school, and accidentally went on a five-mile drive with the roof down. Got flashed by an NC. <3

Now going to the tip with a poo poo-load of rubbish and recycling. I think I'll use the other car...

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

After selling my 1999 NB years ago I want back into the cult.
I'm thinking 2016+ 2.0L ND. NCs are a bit cheaper but I just can't get past how much better the ND looks.
I haven't been keeping up with the thread... is there anything to look out for specifically with the NDs, or just regular used car stuff?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Granite Octopus posted:

After selling my 1999 NB years ago I want back into the cult.
I'm thinking 2016+ 2.0L ND. NCs are a bit cheaper but I just can't get past how much better the ND looks.
I haven't been keeping up with the thread... is there anything to look out for specifically with the NDs, or just regular used car stuff?

Some earlier ones had issues with manual transmissions making GBS threads themselves. That's all I'm aware of but then I'm still driving my NB :smug:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wait people are buying NDs, being like "nah", and then putting them up for sale? NDs are one of the best looking cars in that price range, in my opinion. Obviously they are more than looks, too. People are crazy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I guess some people just aren't cut out to be in the cool car club

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Hey I sold my ND1!

and bought an ND2

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

um excuse me posted:

Wait people are buying NDs, being like "nah", and then putting them up for sale? NDs are one of the best looking cars in that price range, in my opinion. Obviously they are more than looks, too. People are crazy.

I guess that's me. The styling of the ND does nothing for me. I only ever see confused cat or a catfish when I see the front, and way the front end goes into the fenders over the wheels is so bulbous it makes me really appreciate just how little car is above the front wheels in the S2000. I still think the NB2 was the best looking miata.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

The looks of the ND are definitely polarizing. I love them personally, angry headlights and all. It looks like the car is going “hell yeaaaaah” every time I walk up to it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I can see selling a ND1 for a ND2 solely for the telescopic column and revised seating position.

Same goes for selling a NC1 for a NC2 due to the Aisin gearbox circlip issue.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I think the ND looks VERY good from certain angles but overall I'd have to say NA/NB look better on the whole. The front side fenders and rear I love, could take or leave the angry nose. Don't remember if it was this thread that referenced design but you def see how mazda wanted the car to look good as it was moving. There was a guy at my apartment complex when I lived in a big city with a, new at the time white RF, he would always leave right before me and I'd often tail that car, did not mind seeing that everyday.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

In terms of new cars you can buy today the ND is a great looking car compared to virtually anything else on the market. It's a clean little design and I even forgive it for no longer being cute.

Mazda should make the next one cute though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There are some angles where the ND is a bit awkward but overall I do really like it, definitely one of the nicer new cars.

Not as nice as an NB though :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I never actually appreciated the NB until I bought one and got to consider it as a whole. It's just a really well put together little car visually. I think the facelift NB2 just sharpens up the design nicely and is a rare example of a facelift actually improving a car. Mazda did good.

I do have a soft spot for pop ups though :3:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have an '92 so am biased, but to me the NA looks a bit like a Jaguar XKSS and a steal at only 1/1000000th the price. Also popups are awesome.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/7IFD1Lj.mp4

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
As a NC1 owner I think the two best looking gens are NA and ND. I don't mind either end of the style but I just want them to go all in on the concept whichever they choose

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I took my ND2 out to an autocross school, holy wow.

Turns out the miata is a fun car to just drive around town with, but it's a super fun car to drive and turn fast in, it's hard to imagine a better feeling than turning into a corner, feeling it understeer a bit, and then tapping the brakes to bump the rear around to where you need it to be before you mash on the gas again.

I also saw an NC running the same course and man, that car's got what looks like a real soft suspension. The driver got the inside tire to lift a couple times during a turn, which seems hair-raisingly terrifying to me when you also add in the amount of body roll going on.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Coca Koala posted:

I took my ND2 out to an autocross school, holy wow.

Turns out the miata is a fun car to just drive around town with, but it's a super fun car to drive and turn fast in, it's hard to imagine a better feeling than turning into a corner, feeling it understeer a bit, and then tapping the brakes to bump the rear around to where you need it to be before you mash on the gas again.

I also saw an NC running the same course and man, that car's got what looks like a real soft suspension. The driver got the inside tire to lift a couple times during a turn, which seems hair-raisingly terrifying to me when you also add in the amount of body roll going on.

A lot of the complaints I read about the ND (and maybe ND2?) was that the car had a lot of body roll, but I haven't felt like it was that bad just driving around town. Hopefully I'll find some time to go autocross mine. My friend with a 30th AE soft top has been talking about buying stiffer suspension for his, but I haven't had a chance to ride in it to see if it feels any different in comparison to my 2021 RF GT.

When I had more energy to drive 2+ hours to stand in a parking lot for most of the day, I would go autocross my MS3. There was a guy there that drove a CRZ that would consistently raise the inner rear wheel. I think he had fairly sticky tires, but I'm not sure if he had modified the suspension at all. It seemed like it must've had a very soft rear sway bar.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 30, 2022

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've autocrossed basically a bone stock ND1 (minus tires that are too wide) back in 2015 through early 2017 and 2021-now, and I put Xidas (stock springs) + a Karcepts 1.07" swaybar on it in the last few weeks.

I haven't had an opportunity to autox it yet, but the car's been a delight to take out for locals. It's pretty easy to drive and the torque with the 2.0L gives you a few options right pedal wise. I unfortunately have been spending a lot of time on mnet lately and people do focus on how the car might look to others versus what it feels in the driver seat, still. If you don't want to go nuts, the barrier of entry for CS isn't too bad; there's still a compromise because lol stock/street class, but you can easily be towards the top of the raw score sheets.

My only complaint is the inconsistency of the ABS and playing the "will I get ice mode??" game sucks.

I guess it could be worse,, though... it could be a 2022 Miata with whatever they're calling the ABS yaw sensor stuff where it'll apply the brake on a single corner automagically due to the computer not liking the amount of G's you're pulling.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I'm not a racer but even I can feel how bad the body roll is in the ND (and NA, and probably every other generation too). I've had the tail come out on me a couple times and each time I felt like I was being tossed around uncomfortably as I corrected it. On the other hand, I felt like I could slide around in an S660 all day long with how flat it kept itself. That's not to say that the particular "soft but competent" suspension character of Miatas is not fun, but I imagine stiffer springs would be the first thing on my list if I were serious about tracking them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
All stiffer springs will do is reduce the amount of time you have to react to the back end coming around.

The car communicates quite clearly the amount of front and rear grip you have.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hello fellow high schoolers from the year 2000 who are having their mid life crisis. I'm not having a mid life crisis but I have been thinking about a Miata for a summer car now they my life is on track

Here's my issue, I'm 6' and not tinder 6' like really 6'. I had issues.in a 2000s civic SI where my head rubs on the roof because there's a sunroof.

I just got in an 04 Miata and it was like a clown car. Head rubs on the 'headliner' on the convertible roof. If I scoot forward 2 notches I can tilt back enough to not rub hair on the roof. But then I can hit my hands on my knees while steering.

Is the 3rd generation soft top going to give me about an inch on the roof height? Is there any hope for a Miata for my Giant body.

Non Miata chat: My wife wants a sporty convertible (I'd be okay with a 90s cabriolet) and an stook isn't really in the budget at double a Miata. And I feel like an MR2 (not the Spyder gently caress those) is going to be more clowncar than a Miata will be.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 1, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tater_salad posted:

Hello fellow high schoolers from the year 2000. I'm not having a mid life crisis but I have been thinking about a Miata for a summer car now they my life is on track

Here's my issue, I'm 6' and not tinder 6' like really 6'. I had issues.in a 2000s civic SI where my head rubs on the roof because there's a sunroof.

I just got in an 04 Miata and it was like a clown car. Head rubs on the 'headliner' on the convertible roof. If I scoot forward 2 notches I can tilt back enough to not rub hair on the roof. But then I can hit my hands on my knees while steering.

Is the 3rd generation soft top going to give me about an inch on the roof height? Is there any hope for a Miata for my Giant body.

Non Miata chat: My wife wants a sporty convertible (I'd be okay with a 90s cabriolet) and an stook isn't really in the budget at double a Miata. And I feel like an MR2 (not the Spyder gently caress those) is going to be more clowncar than a Miata will be.

I don't have height issues in any Miata thankfully but I've heard that the NC is the roomiest. You can also modify the seats to give yourself more headroom. But they're still small cars and you might have to try something like the Z4 which I assume is going to be a bit bigger.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay I'll keep an eye out for a local NC I'm not really 100% in the market currently and prices are high due to it being June + car price inflation A scuffed 60k mile 2004 that I looked at was 13k which seems a bit on the high end unless I get some free air freshener and floor mats especially as it approaches timing parts maintenance window.

I'll look what seat mods give more room.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 1, 2022

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm 6'2" and only ever put the top up to park the car or if it suddenly starts raining.

Really though, it depends on your girth and driving posture as much as your height so test drives are the only way to know for sure.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not girthy and if I keep a hat on if the top is up I'm good I think. I expect the top will be down most of the time but I live in the northeast so can expect rain enough on weekends etc. Where I want a comfortable top up position too.

I'd like a Miata because it's in the sweet spot of price and reliability (Except for maybe 3rs gear). I'm going to see if my friends that have an NA will let me take theirs out for a weekend or something to get the full experience of driving a bit.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm 6'1" and fit in a NA with the lid up and a hat on but it does require a little slouching to keep the hat from getting dirty from the filthy convert top.

I don't really want to flip the car however

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

6'1" and I've got an NB with a hard top. My head is about an inch off it and I've got a couple of clicks of rearward seat adjustment at the angle it feels comfortable to sit at. The car feels perfectly sized for me. I'm unsure what about my body measurements are particularly freakish that it all works out nicely.

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
I finally bit the bullet and started building the car I want.

Lets see how long it takes to finish it.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Woah, that is seriously awesome

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

tater_salad posted:

Hello fellow high schoolers from the year 2000 who are having their mid life crisis. I'm not having a mid life crisis but I have been thinking about a Miata for a summer car now they my life is on track

I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam. While the NC (get the NC2 for the better transmission) is the roomiest, the wheel still isn't telescopic. So you'll need a steering wheel spacer if it's not in the right spot out of the gate.
Mazda hosted a test drive event back in 2019 when the ND2 came out and had a NC2, ND1 and ND2 lined up to drive back to back. The ND2 thanks to the revised seat rails (the back of dropped just over an inch) and the telescopic wheel is for me the comfiest and best fitting. By a mile.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does the NC have a tilt wheel standard? Telescopic might not be as big of an issue if I could have gotten the wheel up a little higher. Or I just say fuckit and go with whatever and just deal with the head issue with the minor amount of time the top is up.

Found a local 07 hard top so will give that a try this week maybe

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 1, 2022

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

tater_salad posted:

Does the NC have a tilt wheel standard?

yup.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
949racing/Super Miata sells a steering wheel spacer. https://supermiata.com/50mm-steering-spacer-NC-miata-mx5.aspx

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I've been meaning to post this for a while but keep forgetting and just had to move a bunch of stuff.

I have an extra set of ND aftermarket headers that I want to get rid of, they're unused and in the original box because the company accidentally sent me the part twice. It's this exact item: https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1824S.html

I installed the first one on my ND2 and it's great, albeit definitely louder than stock. I use one of the baffles they sell with my exhaust to make it a little quieter but it sounds great.

Anyway I really don't want this box anymore but I'm also lazy and hate trying to sell stuff to private parties. But I appreciate my fellow goons, especially Miata owners, so if someone want to throw me a little money to cover shipping and my precious time or whatever then I'm down. I don't know if this is against the rules and I have to post in SA-Mart or something. At this point I don't even really care about making money from it, I just want to get rid of it.

Ror fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 1, 2022

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

I'll have a look at my headroom tomorrow in my ND, but I'm an easy 6'1" and 190lbs, and I can nearly get very comfortable in my car. Don't get me wrong - I'm comfortable - but a telescoping steering column would help. I've certainly not felt enclosed above my head, but I'll be honest, I've barely driven it roof-up since I've got it.

Try to find one to test drive, and sit in it.

Edit - just did the maths and I'm 200 lbs. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ I live in the northeast USA where the climate is temperate rainforest. Today was 80 during my drive in and now rainy and 60 on my drive home, rain happens and I'd probably pick a Miata to drive in the rain over the minivan. I'm 6' with 34 waist and some lanky arms.

I think ND is outside my budget and I'm not
super into it's styling. The NB/c is kind of where my heart is. For my long rear end arms im more inclined to not worry much about telescoping out, I usually keep my wheel pushed in for the most part unless I'm on a long drive and I adjust just to change position.

How are the auto vs manual transmissions? My wife could at one point drive stick and I'd like a stick but may go for auto because I doubt she would drive a stick..

I am heading to the folks that have the 2007 hard top to see how I fit and I'll keep an eye out for an 08 soft top manual of my dreams. I'm mostly in the market for one next year unless I get a good deal on one I'm looking at locally. But also understand I may have to go south for more selection

Someone said NC2 for the better transmission is that both auto and manual? NC2 is 2008 correct?