Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If you slow down the final scream and insert pauses at specific points, it kind of sounds like "I'LL SEE YOU IN FIVE YEARS AT CANNES!" :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I think GoT was on at the same time and I told my friends to come over an hour later because I needed to watch this first. (And type along in this thread)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/lynchiano/status/1531961257758171137?t=eLK-36T82Kq7FO5GPQVaiw&s=19

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
Man he was so good in Twin Peaks. What the hell, that guy from Scream and Scooby Doo?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Von Pluring posted:

Man he was so good in Twin Peaks. What the hell, that guy from Scream and Scooby Doo?

I think you meant to say, what the hell, that guy from the mid-90s masterpiece that is Hackers?

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Blotto_Otter posted:

I think you meant to say, what the hell, that guy from the mid-90s masterpiece that is Hackers?

Yeah, he was in that, wasn't he? I only saw it once ... in the mid-90s. There were some Angelina Jolie boobs in there, and some computers. Don't remember much more than that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

And a banger soundtrack

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

I think you meant to say, what the hell, that guy from the late-90s masterpiece SLC Punk?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/TimesNewHomo/status/1509941473466269706

https://twitter.com/TimesNewHomo/status/1509991304972972034

As a fan of both Lynch and DNB, this goes so hard lmao

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Rageaholic posted:

As a fan of both Lynch and DNB, this goes so hard lmao

Did I share the “Fix Your Hearts or Die” track Submerged and I did? We finally released it after like…forgetting we even recorded it for 3 years.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

Even if you did please share that again

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
https://componentrecordings.bandcamp.com/track/fix-your-hearts-or-die

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

over the last two months I have been watching the TV episodes of Twin Peaks for the first time

I'm currently nearing the end of Season 3- only two episodes left-

I would not have thought this, at all, given the cultural place Twin Peaks has inhabited for most of my life, but:
This is by far the most hopeful, anti-doom, refreshing piece of television media I have ever seen in my life. On top of this, it manages this feeling while doing a litany of awful things to its characters' lives- David Lynch seems to, not apologize for this, but soften the blow, for Shelly, in the back half of Season 2, culminating in an all-timer of a line in a show full of those, something like "WHAT YOU ARE WITNESSING IS A THREE-QUARTERS POSTERIOR VIEW OF TWO ADULTS SHARING A TENDER MOMENT." I feel that Lynch really carries these characters' troubles in his heart, as though they're family- his acting as Gordon Cole has improved drastically since 1991, but that weight was there back then, and seems to run deeper than any known acting method he's learned in the meantime.

Anyway. Finishing dinner, about to watch the rest. This post could be hilariously optimistic, given I don't know where I'm venturing- and yet, I feel that no matter what happens to these people I've been spending time with, I will leave feeling calmer and more ready for our rapidly mutating reality irl

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Oh man do I envy you. Report back when you’re done.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

enjoy the last 2 episodes! let us know what you think

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Those last 2 episodes are unbelievable. Hope you have a great time with them!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
There's a rumor that Julee Cruise has passed away. It's unconfirmed but Wikipedia edits are happening.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
Man, that last episode is so dark and depressing. I’ve only seen it once, but it really affected me. I had this bad feeling that stuck with me for a day or two.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

It ends the same way the pilot begins: with Laura Palmer lost to the world.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

There's a rumor that Julee Cruise has passed away. It's unconfirmed but Wikipedia edits are happening.

https://twitter.com/maculvein/status/1535121041160253440?s=20&t=jthHQlKvp-CPT3wnOxNmQg

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Von Pluring posted:

Man, that last episode is so dark and depressing. I’ve only seen it once, but it really affected me. I had this bad feeling that stuck with me for a day or two.

I'm going to need to sleep before I think about this too hard- it's-

I can see why that's where it landed you- however Lynchian dread, in my relatively brief experience with it, isn't always meant to be dreadful- just putting you in the place of dread to send an orthogonal message

plan to post more later, just got back from beers with pals, eating late nite tamales, but, the sense I get from all of this is strong: we're gonna be okay. not because bad things aren't going to happen- but because we are resilient. broadly speaking, on five beers and one tamale, thats my takeaway, plan to share more once I've integrated what I've seen a bit better

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The ending frustrates me- in a good way- since to me it feels like Cooper had basically won but he just had to push his luck a bit farther and ended up loving everything up in his hubris

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
gently caress

Here, have a Julee Cruise guest vocal feature with some drum n bass dudes not doing dnb that I really like.

https://youtu.be/d9PNCraXAQw

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
https://youtu.be/KevQh5_FXQ8

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Never seen that before, cool stuff

Here’s one of my all-time favorite moments from the show (that happens to involve Julee Cruise);

https://youtu.be/Z0Ygcy1uYx8

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RIP Julee :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XCm9SkmaMQ

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/status/1535342860874260480

https://twitter.com/DuganAmanda/status/1535297595882582017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Oh man, losing Julee Cruise hurts. Her songs define some of the biggest moments in Twin Peaks. Sucks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

The ending frustrates me- in a good way- since to me it feels like Cooper had basically won but he just had to push his luck a bit farther and ended up loving everything up in his hubris

Time stops and he can’t do anything other than go back in time. Maybe he has a choice about changing past events, but I don’t think he can just go off into the sunset. Events conspire to put him in the sheriff’s office with everyone together and the clocks all stopped.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So cool, glad to see you dig the show!

And yeah, just powerful, crazy stuff. I do love the way David has that hopeful stuff. That heart on it's sleeve earnestness, as well as tackling the horror and sadness out there in life.

"Why is there so much trouble in this world?" from Blue Velvet is my fav from his movies, sums it all up. I do think that ending is showing the scary unknowable nature of things, and it's pretty intense. Existential terror. But still I do think it's somehow a more okay cliffhanger than the iconic season 2 one to leave off on.

But it sure would rule if we don't leave off there just yet.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

wanted to share some thoughts but needed to get over the synchronicity of Julee Cruise passing probably about when I saw her closing an ep of S3- I saw her and thought, "oh, perfect, it's her", and let the emotion take me, cried a little in a beautiful, nice to feel way. then the thought, "the credits on this season are very good and easy to read, this time let's make note of her name"

I did, and went off to hang out with friends for some garage beers, not knowing of her passing until checking this thread the next day. Sad news, seems like she was a light in the lives of many who knew her, and I am glad to hear she had the opportunity to choose the moment and milieu of her transition

Rageaholic posted:

Those last 2 episodes are unbelievable. Hope you have a great time with them!

absolutely stunning, everything falls into place, including a false dread part of me felt, that another part of me knew was false because BOB/Coop wasn't put in Twin Peaks to menace, he was put there as a trap

The part of me that felt the false fear is represented in the show by the visually hectic yet sparse Black Lodge; the part of me that felt confident, fist-pumping as soon as he showed up there, is represented by the visually calming yet cluttered White Lodge. I have never seen a piece of media like this pull such an intricate connection between viewer and the piece. It's not attempting to pull experiences it's guessing I've had- it's pulling from the collective psyche we all share, in symbols crafted precisely, like a spell

Also there is an important message in this: the absolutely most important people in the world, the ones who are tapped into knowing what has to be done for humanity to heal itself and advance to a world without suffering, are the Andy Brennans and Lucy Morans of the world.

The way Andy gets a High Strangeness White Lodge full briefing, takes it seriously and totally in-stride, and applies the knowledge and wisdom gained exactly as he is supposed to- what a delight! There's a reason the lodges kept bludgeoning other tools of their destiny, like Cooper, over and over again with visions and dreams- his mind is squirrely, with twisting paths and traps set for intruders. Andy and Lucy only need light Weirdness touches- Andy's vision and Lucy's inability to understand cell phones

The battle with BOB- swelled with hope, knew Freddy would prevail, paid attention to themes: it often feels like we struggle alone but there is, metaphorically, a room full of extremely unlikely allies on our side. This show carries the theme of adversaries- either deathly enemies or just people who annoy each other- becoming firm allies and friends, often coincidentally, in the face of cosmic evil type threat.

Freddy doesn't strike until after he is struck- it's not the clever trick of a preemptive attack that wins, thats a fear-based thing. It's resilience, boundless tubthumping, survival, that wins- and that's love.

StashAugustine posted:

I don't think he hosed anything up at all, tbh- Laura Palmer is the one from which come the many- when I think about what the more symbolic and cryptic scenes (which seem to take place in dually opposite representations of the collective psyche) I take this to mean that she is the first person like her, the first of a new archetype.

The White Lodge created Laurapalmerness as a response and vaccination against forces which have ripped through our culture, art, and day to day interactions since they were unleashed in White Sands during Trinity.

She has a behavioral set and outlook that doesn't fit right in the midcentury soap opera daydream world of early Twin Peaks. You'd be mistaken if you thought she matched a stock archetype- characters like Lana and Audrey are there to tell you, no: these are old ideas that don't quite map to Laura.

But something was messed up, when she was killed- the lodges knew of Cooper's hubris, counted on it even. They put him back at his most hubristic moment- when he is his doppelganger coming to be in a hotel room with Diane. Except this time, BOB is absent, and the positive aspects of Cooper's animating fear-force can be wielded to ensure Laura Palmer survives.

She goes missing instead- this is unforseen, and causes complications, but that's not a worry, just a hitch. Things aren't perfect, by far, but the parallel new universe is one closer to justice and healing than the one before. Texas Laura, whose new name escapes me, works at a diner and is having trouble at home, hasn't been to work in a while- this immediately caught my attention, they've been riding this exact trope hard.

But there's a change, here: her circumstance when Cooper arrives is not the soap opera of a tearful and terrified abused woman, with the trappings of an affair with another man. We don't know her situation with the dead man in the chair, but the pattern has been established to lead us honestly to presume that this is her abuser. Laura breaks patterns, and her brutal method of pattern breaking stems from being a vaccine for entities like BOB, a less fear-based form, but still destructive- a synthesis as scaffolding for future human apotheosis.

The world changes when Laura isn't killed; it becomes more like our own world: teeming with five decades now of Laura Palmers, of people raised in a culture attempting to inoculate what nuclear weapons released in us as a species- while still generating throwbacks like Wally Brando.

And it's a better world- we do not, by far, live in the worst possible timeline. We do live in the time of monsters, however, and as we accelerate towards a world beyond fear and suffering, horrors scared of going extinct thrash in the futile effort of survival.

What a beautiful thing to watch this summer

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 12, 2022

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

my main unresolved hope is that Audrey is having a normal time in this universe

something tells me that she is; two birds, one stone

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

one more thing- the ending, I think, supports my idea that they're at least in a more stable, "real" universe-

everything weird that happens in the final sequence at the Palmer house has mundane explanation:
-A couple of homeowners are reluctant to respond openly to a doorstep grilling from a a pair of strangers about their personal and property history
-A woman who just fled with a guy who claims to be an FBI agent just realized that she doesn't know anything about this odd man who has taken her to a very remote town, and screams
-The power goes out in an older suburban-style home in a remote rural town

None of this is the visual cut and paste that the rest of the season is increasingly buttery-rich with- if I'd read a reputable report that those sequence of events happened irl somewhere, it wouldn't seriously challenge my view of reality like a guy turning into black smoke would

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 12, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm digesting what you said as a whole but I feel it's worth pointing out that the woman who answers the door is the woman who owns the actual house

E: I also hadn't noticed or remembered that the clocks had stopped, I'll have to rewatch it sometime

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 12, 2022

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah, she consults with her off-screen husband- I presume they co-own the house by convention

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
as in the person who owns that house in real life

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

To be clear I mean she's not an actress she lives in the actual real life house that was used as a set for the show

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doesn’t Laura scream after hearing her mother calling to her? I can’t actually remember.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

StashAugustine posted:

To be clear I mean she's not an actress she lives in the actual real life house that was used as a set for the show

She also has intense fortitude to lodge denizens https://twitter.com/alicetremond/status/1516806227669311491?s=12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

I AM GRANDO posted:

Doesn’t Laura scream after hearing her mother calling to her? I can’t actually remember.

Yes. It’s v creepy