Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Read After Burning posted:

I am going to SMOOCH the lady professor. :allears:

Be careful about slipping tongue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

GameFreak is actually blessing us by giving people from the 90s the 3D Pokemon they always wanted. A full fledged 3D Pokemon adventure that looks like it was developed for the N64 :eng101:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

most of what i am learning from this thread is that i don't look at the floor anywhere near as much as people here

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i only look at the floor when i accidentally drop my switch

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

If you drop your switch do the right thing and turn yourself in to the proper authorities.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i only look at the floor when i accidentally drop my switch

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

dr.acula posted:

I was thinking about playing some Pokémon games. Is there any reason what so ever to play regular sun/moon over Ultra?

Ultra fucks over the storyline of Sun/Moon and tells a much worse alternate story, but it also has more pokémon available and adds some cool new minigames.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ultra takes out the 3D. Like, you straight up just can't play in 3D

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ultra Sun/Moon kinda suck, I was really disappointed at how they butchered the actually good parts of the story. Play one of the original Sun/Moon first.

Meltdown May is over. Now it's time to play Moon over June.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pokemon scarlet milf and violet dilf

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Augus posted:

:hmmyes: there it is.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Augus posted:

I don't normally change the thread title twice in one day but this is so much better than the poo poo I had.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Sometimes all you can do is embrace the horny when perusing the switch thread

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Sometimes all you can do is embrace the horny when perusing the switch thread

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Megahorn_(move)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

was a fan of the trailer, and i think i just may be buying one of the games. while i liked Shining Pearl i think in retrospect a lot of that's because i hadn't played a mainline Pokemon game in over a decade and i was just happy to be back. a non-remake game+seeing they're implementing Arceus elements and i'm pretty sold. thank you GameFreak, and Nintendo

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Zore posted:

Up until Gen V the professors were mostly schlubby middle-aged dudes. Since then they've been hot with the exception of Arceus.

FTFY

I will stand by my Alolan potato-obsessed Professor.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
So the professors are past and future themed. "Open world you can explore not dictated by story" has my interest more than anything else, actual exploration would be cool but not if the regions are as lame as Shield's, I can deal with plain terrain if the pokemon encounters/behavior is interesting, or vice versa, but neither were compelling. But at this point, they have designed like 1,000 monsters and they saw fanbase reactions if they don't include every single one, so it seems unlikely they'd ever be able to make interesting or unique monster behavior in the field, there's just too many. I haven't tried Arceus, did it have a restricted roster/better field experience?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I haven’t played a Pokémon since Diamond/Pearl on DS and it’s the only one I’ve played. I was kind of interested in trying another one but the quality between titles seems big? Like what’s the least garbage or actually fun ones nowadays.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I thought Sun/Moon was really excellent. Mixed up the formula a little and got rid of some of the series's worst anti-features. I did not enjoy Sword/Shield. Extremely boring cookie cutter world and story, which is really saying something for a Pokémon game, and no meaningful gameplay changes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hg/ss was the apex of pokemon and it will never be matched, let alone topped

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

hg/ss was the apex of pokemon and it will never be matched, let alone topped

In Let's Go Eevee, you ride Snorlax by clinging onto its stomach while it runs around.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
What are the most common candidates for the best Pokémon game? I feel like I hear Red/Blue, Heart Gold/Soul Silver, Black/White and Sun/Moon most frequently.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gold

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nrook posted:

What are the most common candidates for the best Pokémon game? I feel like I hear Red/Blue, Heart Gold/Soul Silver, Black/White and Sun/Moon most frequently.

Those are the big ones that get the popular attention yeah.

I'd put Platinum up there as well. Really the stretch of Plat/HG/SS/B/W/B2/W2 was probably the longest unbroken period of really good Pokemon releases in a row.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nrook posted:

hg/ss and black/white are both phenomenal

i also personally rate g/s WAY higher than r/b/y and prolly 3rd overall

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Red/Blue probably has a lot of nostalgia in its favor, but HG/SS, B/W and S/M are the common candidates because they are also the best by a long shot.

Heart Gold/Soul Silver probably also favored by nostalgia, but they're solid. Black/White were the most radical departure from the series formula, and they stuck the landing, while Sun/Moon had a smaller scope and focused on polishing the poo poo out of their pokémon/character designs, also to great success.

I'm also personally far more fond of Legends than I thought I would be, but I hesitate to rank it quite so high as those three.

E: Also would heartily endorse Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire which despite being remakes gave us such incredibly important pokémon as mega Slowbro, mega Swampert and mega Altaria.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 2, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The best Pokemon game is Pokemon Pinball.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

American McGay posted:

The best Pokemon game is Hey You! Pikachu.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 2, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hg/ss didn’t fix nearly enough issues from the original games tbqh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's New Pokemon Snap

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd say B/W or maybe S/M are probably the best overall. I have a lot of nostalgia for RYB and GS so I tend to think of them highly but if I don't RYB is a bizarre messy barely functional game held together by duct tape and adorable monster designs and G/S is better designed but lacks the same punch and the 'HOLY poo poo KANTO" thing loses some of its punch once you realize how minimal it is.

But I mostly play Pokemon to collect cute things so games that allow me to collect new cute things are good.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Pokemon go could be a contender as it has a real open world and the 3 flat compressed jpeg backgrounds they use are about on par with what they put in the mainline series

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The real best Pokemon game is Ruby/Sapphire (or the remakes), because those was the only games with Secret Bases. :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's New Pokemon Snap

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Hey You! Pikachu

These are also correct answers.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

American McGay posted:

The best Pokemon game is Pokemon The Trading Card Game on the Gameboy Color.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

The best Pokemon game is Pokemon Snap 1&2.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's New Pokemon Snap

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

KingShiro posted:

I haven’t played a Pokémon since Diamond/Pearl on DS and it’s the only one I’ve played. I was kind of interested in trying another one but the quality between titles seems big? Like what’s the least garbage or actually fun ones nowadays.

Sword/Shield are legitimately awful RPGs, period. Play any other pokemon game if you value challenge, story, player decision, exploration, worldbuilding, or anything typically associated with RPG's. Even on the scale of pokemon games, Sw/Sh are dogshit.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ender Lilies is such a good metroidvania. Releasing a week before Dread was a death sentence.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Barreft posted:

Ender Lilies is such a good metroidvania. Releasing a week before Dread was a death sentence.

It's good. I'm stuck on a witch boss because the bosses are a bit too spongy. And I'm bad at videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Are Xenoblade 1/2 direct sequels? Basically what I'm asking is do I need to play one to play the other and if not is 2 better than 1? I need something to itch my RPG fix after I already smashed through Earthbound for like the 20th time.

Or should I do Triangle Strategy or Octopath Traveler?

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 2, 2022