Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's still a casualty of my distaste for bad CGI and Kamiyama and Aramaki making lame adaptations of movies I like. So I'll just laugh at the breakdancing man from the "going to the store" video and the frog guy who looks like he came out of Flushed Away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
death to pinkertons

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is the English dub of SAC_2045 out at release this time instead of being delayed a couple months like the first season? I'm glad people are beginning to see that it's a good show that's more than its first couple of episodes in the USA.

I checked the last episode (episode 12 of season 2) on Netflix and it had an english track (among others).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I guess the delay for the first season was probably finding the right outsourcing company and finding the right voice actors. Once all that is in place, it's much easier to dub episodes as they come out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apraxin posted:

it's almost impossible to find traces of it online now (fuckin Veoh, lol), but back in the early days of western anime releases there was a genuine non-parody attempt at a UK dub commercial release of Catgirl Nuku-Nuku, which is, uh, it's something alright

https://www.veoh.com/watch/v158470576ZxpyJjh

There is also a very British dub of the first season of KO Century Beast Warriors done by Anime UK magazine, the only existing copy of which might be my VHS lol

E: apparently not!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9nCUQzbMxo
I can only see two out of three eps at the moment though.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 31, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does the dub bring back the old SAC cast?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It does, yeah

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

sb hermit posted:

I guess the delay for the first season was probably finding the right outsourcing company and finding the right voice actors. Once all that is in place, it's much easier to dub episodes as they come out.

It's was all the same (phenomenal) VAs, I think it was just a covid delay.

And God drat, did they release the whole thing at once? I know what I'm doing tonight.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Hammer posted:

the reason I haven't watched gits stuff newer than the original 2 sac seasons is because nobody else can be the major and crew for me

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i got ratio'd by micheal minecraft it's over for me

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFiNdkt5634

marumaru
May 20, 2013

im watching the gym anime (dumbell nan kilo) and it's so mindblowingly stupid, and there's too much fan service, but it's fun
it's nice to just completely shut off your brain every once in a while

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just started watching Chihayafuru as a change of pace and I kind of love it? So drat intense for no real reason but it’s very entertaining!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Carlosologist posted:

I just started watching Chihayafuru as a change of pace and I kind of love it? So drat intense for no real reason but it’s very entertaining!

Yeah it's great!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is the English dub of SAC_2045 out at release this time instead of being delayed a couple months like the first season? I'm glad people are beginning to see that it's a good show that's more than its first couple of episodes in the USA.

Yeah. The Dub is fully out and the dub cast is just as good as ever. It really makes the show.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

death to pinkertons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKEaF3R6byQ

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah. The Dub is fully out and the dub cast is just as good as ever. It really makes the show.

I've said it before but the SAC dub casting is perfect with how it's so good it complements the JP voiceover. With the globalization and the cyberbrain stuff I'd expect they speak these languages fluently, and the EN cast is so good not just at the voices but the tone, mannerisms and direction that to me it just sounds like the same section 9 people but I'm able to understand them due to a cyberbrain implant or something. When I hear the Major in my head she's equally both Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Atsuko Tanaka, and the same goes for the rest of the core cast.

I'm happy it's so good too because it helps a lot when they start waxing philosophical about things and it can be hard to keep up, especially when there's action going on. I literally fell asleep the first time around while they were going on about Sustainable War, but am so glad I gave it another chance.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1531953710812758016

Still can't believe they're actually doing this and how decent it looks. I'm looking forward to being crushed by disappointment or pleasantly surprised.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A local church rummage sale had a pillow section, I noticed one that was...different

marumaru
May 20, 2013

jesus loves anime

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Archer666 posted:

https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1531953710812758016

Still can't believe they're actually doing this and how decent it looks. I'm looking forward to being crushed by disappointment or pleasantly surprised.

✅ Determined good guy with sword

✅ Grinning evil guy with magic

✅ Annoying animal/spirit companion

✅ Big booba elf

✅ Waifu in distress

I think Netflix may be getting the hang of this whole anime business.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

well its an adaptation of an old manga from the era that a lot of that stuff was codified in so yeah

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

A local church rummage sale had a pillow section, I noticed one that was...different

I almost want to shine a black light on it

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Meme Poker Party posted:

✅ Determined good guy with sword

✅ Grinning evil guy with magic

✅ Annoying animal/spirit companion

✅ Big booba elf

✅ Waifu in distress

I think Netflix may be getting the hang of this whole anime business.

The best part of this is definitely how the younger generations are gonna interpret this series :haw:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Bastard any good out of curiosity (also is this the first attempt at making an anime out of it)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 1, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

cmon man...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm too brain-poisoned to even begin to answer this on my own, what does a show with no tropes even look like?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agreed, that was stupid and has been removed (all I meant is on the surface it looks like a generic fantasy series). Let’s try again, is the Bastard manga any good?

Though to answer the second part of the question apparently it got a 6 episode OVA a while back

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 1, 2022

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/yurirando/status/1399591676528656384

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Larryb posted:

Agreed, that was stupid and has been removed (all I meant is on the surface it looks like a generic fantasy series). Let’s try again, is the Bastard manga any good?

Though to answer the second part of the question apparently it got a 6 episode OVA a while back

It's good, I'd say its even phenomenal. Though you need to like the 80-90s heavy metal scene and not take it overly serious.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Archer666 posted:

It's good, I'd say its even phenomenal. Though you need to like the 80-90s heavy metal scene and not take it overly serious.

Interesting, is the OVA worth a look or is it better to just stick to the manga?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Larryb posted:

Interesting, is the OVA worth a look or is it better to just stick to the manga?

It's worth looking at, but there's A LOT OF cut content compared to the manga. You're better off first reading the manga to get the whole story, then watching the OVA.

EDIT: I say that as somebody who first started with the OVA before onto the manga. The 6 ep OVA works fine by itself, but it's like listening to a single before listening to a full on album.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

I'm too brain-poisoned to even begin to answer this on my own, what does a show with no tropes even look like?

good, as opposed to bad. but im in the extreme anime minority, almost all of the tropes I think suck and I hate seeing them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You cannot make a story without using any tropes whatsoever. The word trope is not synonymous with cliche.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in this troper's opinion, i'm gay

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
On the other hand, I implore you not to use the website TV Tropes for anything.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Trope

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Remember folks, "trope" spelled backwards is not a word.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I bet some Apple device had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Troper, however, is report! :eng101: