Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Perfect, thanks. I try to keep my eye out for the 3rd show they do where it's just whatever Andy feels like doing and I feel like I've got a bunch of those to get through too already. Those are amazing from what I've heard, perfect followup to the ADPPP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It helps that some of the IRL Bonanza scripts were just rapid adaptations of other scripts that didn’t make it as independent standalone works. So some are just re-skinned scifi or police procedurals or whatever plopped into the ponderosa.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Your guide to the Cartwrights:

Ben: The Morally Justified Patriarch
Adam: The Smart One
Hoss: The Big One
Little Joe: Supports Slavery

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

mlmp08 posted:

It helps that some of the IRL Bonanza scripts were just rapid adaptations of other scripts that didn’t make it as independent standalone works. So some are just re-skinned scifi or police procedurals or whatever plopped into the ponderosa.

Always a big fan of when this happens, I'm still 90% sure that awful Ad Astra film was written to be in space veeeeery late in the process. It might've just been a bad movie, mind.

JethroMcB posted:

Your guide to the Cartwrights:

Ben: The Morally Justified Patriarch
Adam: The Smart One
Hoss: The Big One
Little Joe: Supports Slavery

Might just write this on my palm for future reference, thanks!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Hoss has the strength of a monster

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen a single episode of Bonanza, but still enjoy the podcasts. Daly and Gourley have so much chemistry I can listen to them bs about anything.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

And Bamford knows exactly what she's mocking really well and nails it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah I wasn't so sure how well Amy fit for a while because didn't get how her character vibed with a cowboy thing, and I didn't have any direct corollaries of that sort of person in my world, but eventually it clicked that she represents the Olde Timey Values of the "back in the good ol days" set who Bonanza was made for. Now I'm so so glad she's there. Gels great with the boys but brings a lot of interesting weird things of her own to the table and makes it a more fun more complex whole.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i don't know if she represents those values so much as she's literally trapped by them lol, amy is the darkest loving character even though both of the other characters are varying degrees of serial killers

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
but then she also talks about her husband being in industrial noise bands and drops authentic references. she's so funny.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

i don't know if she represents those values so much as she's literally trapped by them lol, amy is the darkest loving character even though both of the other characters are varying degrees of serial killers

Listen, Dalton is just trying to keep us safe from assorted monsters.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Loved the tiny, maybe not there, reference to fiiiiiiexins https://youtu.be/zTiEQB67HOs

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Maria rules because her energy and takes and everything is just so different, wild, and hilarious. I’ve heard Gourley and Daly for so long on Earwolf. It’s not that I don’t enjoy it but you kinda get the vibe they’ve been putting out for like a decade.

Maria is so fresh that I legit kept typing out Amy because that is who she really sticks to me as, she sells it so well. I never listened to her standup much of if she was in any other podcasts.

Also the first episode of Bonusnanza with Joe Walsh didn’t hit me, but every one of them since has been gold. Great energy between the three of em.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazyweasel posted:

Maria rules because her energy and takes and everything is just so different, wild, and hilarious. I’ve heard Gourley and Daly for so long on Earwolf. It’s not that I don’t enjoy it but you kinda get the vibe they’ve been putting out for like a decade.

Maria is so fresh that I legit kept typing out Amy because that is who she really sticks to me as, she sells it so well. I never listened to her standup much of if she was in any other podcasts.

Also the first episode of Bonusnanza with Joe Walsh didn’t hit me, but every one of them since has been gold. Great energy between the three of em.

Did you ever see "Lady Dynamite"? If not, you should.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

She was great in Arrested Development Season 4, especially the Fantastic 4 musical bits. I like that season more than most but I think even those who don't see her as a highlight.

Also her appearances on the various Tim & Eric shows.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Yeah, this was my first exposure to Maria Bamford and it really stuck with my young mind. https://youtu.be/F57G5nV1q6k

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I haven't seen a single episode of Bonanza, but still enjoy the podcasts. Daly and Gourley have so much chemistry I can listen to them bs about anything.

Quite possibly the best two podcast improvisors....and the talent well is deep. I've got my fingers crossed for them to be along on the CBB tour this summer. Maybe since Minneapolis is their first show.....they'll have some bells and whistles.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Quite possibly the best two podcast improvisors....and the talent well is deep. I've got my fingers crossed for them to be along on the CBB tour this summer. Maybe since Minneapolis is their first show.....they'll have some bells and whistles.

I've been trying to figure out who will be there for the tour. I'm wondering if Gourley will be there since he works on Conan's pod too.

I figure it'll be PFT, Daly, Lily yily, Baltz, and Diston. I was hoping Schwartz would join but I think he has his own tour during the same time.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I've been trying to figure out who will be there for the tour. I'm wondering if Gourley will be there since he works on Conan's pod too.

I figure it'll be PFT, Daly, Lily yily, Baltz, and Diston. I was hoping Schwartz would join but I think he has his own tour during the same time.

Really? I kind of figured that the "all-stars" were going to be more of a rotating schedule type thing. Diston seemed like a logical regular on the tour. Lapkus would make sense due to Threedom. Does Tim Baltz have a regular show on CBBW? Ben Schwartz would be a super pleasant surprise. Really got my fingers crossed for Andy Daly and Matt Gourley though. At that point you have half of the Superego cast. Does Mark McConville or Jeremy Carter have any connection to CBBW?

I'm just thinking that with 23 shows in a single month....they probably won't be doing the same stuff every single day? Like....Daly and Gourley aren't going to be doing 23 separate episodes of 'Bonanas for Bonanza' I would think. Will these be recorded as live episodes of the podcasts?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Does Tim Baltz have a regular show on CBBW?

"Hey Randy" on CBB Presents is the best thing available on the platform.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Lapkus would make sense due to Threedom. Does Tim Baltz have a regular show on CBBW?

From what I read, Lapkus isn’t expected due to just having had her kid. Baltz has a show on CBBW Presents called Hey Randy and it rules.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Maybe I'll have to subscribe to CBBW for a few months.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

It's gud.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Yeah genuinely CBB Presents is probably worth the price on its own.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I really think This Book Changed My Life is a fantastic intro to improv podcasting. Nothing really carried over each episode except for the format.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hey randy! is also insanely good

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

We all have a Randy in our life. Someone who just won't shut up about Jimmy Carter.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hey Randy was already a great show but it's greatly improved now that Engineer Brett is in as Mark Patavano.

Consummate Professional posted:

We all have a Randy in our life. Someone who just won't shut up about Jimmy Carter.

Well, he was the Rock 'n Roll President.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Engineer Brett must be destroyed because he has proven you can just test out of UCB.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm loving the Will Hines mysteries the most.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

feedmyleg posted:

I'm loving the Will Hines mysteries the most.

Will talked a little about it on Reddit, in case you were interested. This was for episode 2.

quote:

We're still working out the best way to do this. FOr this one, I picked the murder victim and situation beforehand. And I picked who would be sleuths and who'd be suspects. I told them all before we started "victim is Renee Marizpan, 45, painter - dead by stabbing in his studio" and then let them pick their "deal" on their own which I did not know before we started recording. When they introduce themselves is when I learned who the characters were. Except I knew Lippert was gonna be the same guy he had been in the previous episode.

So the mystery and clues was all made up as we go -- which i think is evident as you listen. Mystery is all over the place and maybe even doesn't totally make sense. Though neither does The Big Sleep or Maltese Falcon (if i recall correctly) -- they contradict themselves so much it CAN'T add up.

There IS a tradition of mystery novel where there is no way to solve it in advance -- lots of Agatha Christie stories basically reveal clues in the final act which explain everything and undo what was known before. It's about the ride, not the puzzle.

Sherlock Holmes mysteries tend to be a bit more like puzzles you could theoretically solve. Not always, but Conan Doyle wanted them to be like that.

Nothing was decided in terms of people leaving the room although that is a common improv strategy, so it's kinda in everyone's bones as a common move to do. But last time (I think) no one left the scene at all.

It's very fun to try and get this form right!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Will talked a little about it on Reddit, in case you were interested. This was for episode 2.

That was great, thanks for that. That dynamic seemed apparent in the last one I listened to with PFT "wait...does that help?" when they'd add a detail. It's a very fun show. All the CBBWP are.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Signed up for CBBW finally. And yeah.....'Hey Randy' is pretty great. Tim Baltz is a funny dude. Big Lippert fan due to the Teacher's Lounge. Mary Sohn is really good too. And...is it just me...or is Drew Tarver in the background laughing throughout the recordings?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you like Dan, check out Man Dog Pod. It's him and Ryan Rosenberg from Big Grande doing improv and conversation. Sometimes they do two-prov monoscenes for the whole runtime, sometimes they have guests on and just do a bunch of scenes, sometimes they mix it up and do experiments. It's fun and casual and very wholesome.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

And...is it just me...or is Drew Tarver in the background laughing throughout the recordings?

Pretty sure that's Lily Sullivan's laughter; it threw me for two or three episodes as well.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

If you like Dan, check out Man Dog Pod. It's him and Ryan Rosenberg from Big Grande doing improv and conversation. Sometimes they do two-prov monoscenes for the whole runtime, sometimes they have guests on and just do a bunch of scenes, sometimes they mix it up and do experiments. It's fun and casual and very wholesome.

I've listened to it a bit. Definitely one that I check the guest list for. I like it....but there's only so many hours in the day and 'The Always Sunny' podcast has sucked me in recently. There's just too much good content. I finally dropped off I4Hs a couple years ago for this exact reason.

JethroMcB posted:

Pretty sure that's Lily Sullivan's laughter; it threw me for two or three episodes as well.

That makes sense. Don't know why Tarver would just be hanging out....but it sure sounds similar.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Something about Drew Tarver and Lily Sullivan having the same laugh is both funny and makes sense to me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
strange get for HH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He was on I4H as well, was a solid improviser. Seemed like he "gets it" based on that appearance, so it doesn't seem like a bad match.