Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Playing D2 solo feels like doing chores. I prefer to do the weekly story poo poo alone but literally everything else is better teamed up, especially the dumber PvP modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
The problems with Rift highlight Iron Banner's identity crisis. Is it meant to be for everybody to pile in and have fun with PvP for a week? Is it meant to be an endgame activity for sweatlords? Bungie clearly wants it to be the latter when the community clearly prefers it as the former. The version of Rift they released makes sense for people dedicated to playing an objective game mode but make no sense for a casual game mode meant to encourage participation and experimentation.

They should flip the spark and the rifts. Each team spawns with a spark to pick up and a rift spawns randomly that both teams race to dunk on.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Aqua Dracula posted:

The problems with Rift highlight Iron Banner's identity crisis. Is it meant to be for everybody to pile in and have fun with PvP for a week? Is it meant to be an endgame activity for sweatlords? Bungie clearly wants it to be the latter when the community clearly prefers it as the former. The version of Rift they released makes sense for people dedicated to playing an objective game mode but make no sense for a casual game mode meant to encourage participation and experimentation.

They should flip the spark and the rifts. Each team spawns with a spark to pick up and a rift spawns randomly that both teams race to dunk on.

Except in their big pitch for how they were revamping IB they talked about it like it was supposed to be the former. Like that was part of the whole reason they moved IB to the seasonal event area up-front in the Tower, etc. Trials is pretty explicitly supposed to be the end-game sweatlord PVP activity.

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

Except in their big pitch for how they were revamping IB they talked about it like it was supposed to be the former. Like that was part of the whole reason they moved IB to the seasonal event area up-front in the Tower, etc. Trials is pretty explicitly supposed to be the end-game sweatlord PVP activity.

That is what they said, absolutely. The design of Rift does not align with that philosophy in any way.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the crucible has as a deliberate design parameter that potato players like me end up sad and miserable. i mostly deal with this by ignoring crucible pinnacles entirely, but when i'm forced into it by exotic catalysts or seasonal challenges my play is basically indistinguishable from griefing. like i'm pretty sure that when i was working on the ticuu's catalyst i had full games where i literally had a combat efficiency of 0.0 and gave up a ton of free points.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Rift is a great mode to pile in and have a great time!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Reiterpallasch posted:

like i'm pretty sure that when i was working on the ticuu's catalyst i had full games where i literally had a combat efficiency of 0.0 and gave up a ton of free points.

You are not the only one :glomp:

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Aqua Dracula posted:

Ding ding ding

Also Bungie supposedly wants it to be the former.

quote:

…including the return of Rift and core philosophies that surround modes like Iron Banner, is Bungie's own Principal Designer Alan Blaine.

Alan: ….

Iron Banner is a celebration of PvP for everyone. We want people playing every day, playing with their friends, wearing their flaming Iron Banner armor, and using Iron Banner weapons. When you land in the Tower, we want it to feel different and special – same as all of our annual events like The Dawning or Festival of the Lost.

…Lower the barriers and widen the funnel for players. Everyone should be able to play Iron Banner and access the core reward paths – New Lights and Destiny 1 alpha veterans alike.

Given the overwhelming response from folks not stacking has been (to put it politely) “uhhhh switch it back” it boggles the mind that Bungie thought this was a good idea. Rather than forcing it as banner they should have debuted it as its own playlist with a heavy, heavy emphasis on going in as a group. Then maybe some of the positive word of mouth from groups could have gotten ahead of things. Seems like a series of missteps and missed opportunities.

As it is, having it be the banner mode and even offering a solo playlist version seems really silly. And given all of the problems of non-stacked rift from d1 either remain or are exacerbated, not sure why they spent so much time reworking d1 rift.

A Buffer Gay Dude fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 1, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Rift is a great mode to pile in and have a great time!
it really isn't because it's CTF and CTF is a bad game mode*

*there's nuance in which CTF doesn't suck, see my earlier post

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I remain a big fan of the game but I swear Destiny gives me the same "divided dev team" vibes as WoW - like some of the decisions they make fly in the face of so much of the rhetoric that they put out to the playerbase. It's hard not to imagine that there's some weird cabal of grognard developers on the team that insist on poo poo like holding fast to their dumb beliefs about matchmaking or the current situation with IB and Rift.

Everybody in the WoW community laughed at the idea for years and then we found out it was actually true, and a bunch of them turned out to be abusive dickheads to boot.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 1, 2022

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Ding ding ding

Also Bungie supposedly wants it to be the former.

[snip]

Howling that they said all this and then within an hour of reset dmg hit twitter to tell everyone to watch tutorial videos and team up to discuss strategy

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Oh my god ib rift is so loving bad holy poo poo

Clueless, clueless devs

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
Control worked for Iron Banner because PvP tryhards could stomp all the dabblers to their hearts' content while ignoring the objectives, and all the dabblers could at least pretend they were contributing by capturing control zones.

Rift punishes both groups and rewards neither. Obviously there is a learning curve and a lot of these things will alleviate over time as players adjust but, again, this completely contradicts the Iron Banner as the big come-one-come-all PvP circus event.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Taking a break from Rift to post I'm having a great time playing Rift

OK going back for more Rift

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My fireteam is just out of frame, laughing too

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

haveblue posted:

No one cares about rep when actually playing the game is unbearable. Nobody did the challenge to get 2000 kills with a fusion rifle while underleveled either

Wrong, bitch. I did 2,500 with Jotunn and Rift is fun

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Wrong, bitch. I did 2,500 with Jotunn and Rift is fun

lol you crazy

I did like 7 of those kills and said No mas

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Any time I’m doing poo poo that’s tedious and just number go up, I put on an audiobook or podcast and turn off the caring part of my brain. Highly recommended for all Crucible stuff except comp and Trials

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It really feels like Bungie was weighing a lot on this being the first seasonal update to introduce a new destination, but not only is it all recycled content, the reason destinations are only introduced in expansions are because they’re made for the casual players who check in to play the new campaign once a year - and for anyone even invested enough to be following the seasons, destinations are beyond useless. They’re big empty spaces full of enemies way below your power level where you can accomplish nothing.

Not to mention that seasons usually come with two activities, and somehow they managed to pick the worst of each - the basically-a-public-event of Seraph Towers, and the barren mini-strikes of Expunge.

I think I read somewhere that Bungie put the most work into Season of the Drifter during the Forsaken year and was mega proud of hit and thought it would be a smash hit with the players only to see it be the poorest-received of that year, so I don't think this was "lazy devs" or anything - acting like Bungie was trying to hide the content of Season of the Haunted with its weird secrecy and all the Bungie employees tweeting about how amazing this next season was and yadda yadda assumes a level of malice that I just don't think makes sense. Every now and then they just miss what the playerbase is actually interested. Pobody's nerfect.

But I get to craft my own Austringer now so actually I will be Joe Blackburn's personal doorstep.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 1, 2022

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/K5ef2A2.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/iBflJXI.mp4

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 1, 2022

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Right, so the only way to win Iron Banner is to not play it. Waaaaay ahead of you on that.

I liked this week's story development. When I first met Crow (before doing Forsaken, btw) he was a bit too grating, and knowing the guy he used to be I frequently used the phrase "God dammit, Uldren!" whenever he screwed up, but he's steadily earned my respect, even with the whole psion snafu. Crow-kun is my buddy and now we have Uldren's spirit crashing on the H.E.L.M. suddenly, which is probably the most Uldren thing he can do.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I don't know why people think this is the end of Crow's arc based on the names of the upcoming Sever missions.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Hackan Slash posted:

I don't know why people think this is the end of Crow's arc based on the names of the upcoming Sever missions.

Probably because there have already been two other prominently featured NPCs with nightmares, one of whom has had a previous nightmare hunt with the same name as one of the sever missions

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Panderfringe posted:

Except the plot for accomplishing it was literally do a thing, it fails. Then do that thing again, completely unchanged, but it succeeds this time? And they don't even get rid of the ghost, they just become buddies.

you're missing the parts where Eris tells Crow (repeatedly, over the course of a week or more) that the reason that it failed the first time was because he was doing it wrong

she also explained that the nightmares aren't actually sentient entities, they're a security system of the pyramid that manifests a person's guilt and shame. all it takes to undermine them is to forgive yourself, something that we spent an entire questline doing for Eris in Shadowkeep, so it's definitely not like it came out of nowhere

the only silly part is that the nightmare turned blue after Crow overcame it, but we haven't actually seen a Lightbearer get haunted by/overcome a nightmare up until now, so that might be a side effect of Crow injecting his Light into the construct and overwriting its original Darkness-fueled purpose with a Light-fueled one

basically all of it makes sense and is a reasonable storyline as long as you're actually paying attention to the things that have happened up until now

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

We're going to blueize fikrul and sic him on calus aren't we

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

...if I play this Iron Banner with the normal non-Freelance queue there's a higher chance of quick stomps either way right? AKA faster game finishes for those pinnacles

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just did my whole IB quest and pinnacle in like an hour of play, went 5-2 in freelance queue, it’s fine, everyone needs to calm the hell down lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://i.imgur.com/VAFIlPu.gifv

The longest yard....

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I just did my whole IB quest and pinnacle in like an hour of play, went 5-2 in freelance queue, it’s fine, everyone needs to calm the hell down lol

Some people enjoy playing PVP for more than an hour and would like a game mode that is fun to play instead of a 1 hour chore.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FlapYoJacks posted:

Some people enjoy playing PVP for more than an hour and would like a game mode that is fun to play instead of a 1 hour chore.

More Maps, More Maps!!!

Two resets on three maps? Eat my nuts!!!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The more black screens I get during a match (not before, not after, but actually during), the less calm I get

I don't give a poo poo if I'm winning or losing, it is such a poo poo game mode that is like american football, constantly stutter-stop with no flow or pacing

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Season is bad. Seems strangely halloween-esque so maybe it was season 18 before they decided to switch or something? It's so barren and bug-filled even if we got a new destination.
Dungeon is cool but feels small. Also I'm one of those lore persons and it's lacking in that respect more and more every season. And now Seth Dickinson is totally gone, I think. I'm hoping maybe he'll write the yearly things because he was the best lore dude. I miss when lore was more sci-fantasy than just straight fantasy

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

FlapYoJacks posted:

So go play Crucible or Comp???

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

So go play Crucible or Comp???

Lol at suggesting comp. I do play control and trials. The response to “the game mode that used to be fun isn't fun” shouldn't be “lol go play a different mode then.”

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They can fix the pacing between rounds by putting up a scoreboard. That's exactly how Trials and Survival does it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Eej posted:

They can fix the pacing between rounds by putting up a scoreboard. That's exactly how Trials and Survival does it.

Or the can remove rounds altogether.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think the rounds need to exist otherwise first wipe would get an insurmountable snowballing lead.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

D1 rift had spawn camp issues so they added the rounds. But d1 rift also had points for different things and the person carrying the rift couldn't shoot so you actually had to play as a team.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I played my matches as a support witha a Lumi-Sembler build and it felt...fine? Yeah it sucks when you play with pubs, but that's a part of Crucible that has always sucked.

The mode itself needs that extra time before it goes into the rotator, though. Shortening round requirements and respawn timers in Freelance, fixing the spark despawn issue when multiple people grab for it / falling through the map, and general adjustment in playstyle will help with a lot of the implementation. It could just be me being optimistic about having a favorite game mode back, but none of these things feel as broken as some other things D2 has done. As others have said, it definitely feels balanced for teams with comms rather than randoms.

And we still have other pinnacles and a weekly story to hold us over until the next week when Saladin leaves again to go hang out with his new friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eej posted:

I think the rounds need to exist otherwise first wipe would get an insurmountable snowballing lead.

So turn down the excruciating respawn time