Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Star Man posted:

I was hit or miss on violent movies freaking me out as a kid.

Pulp Fiction
Starship Troopers
Titanic
Jurrasic Park.

On the subject if violent media is responsible for mass shootings, I would say kinda sorta. A ton of it is ultra macho white male power fantasy poo poo born and bred by a patriarchal society. A lot of developers sure as poo poo are leaning into it with some degree of sincerity. But I think what it really is that's doing the harm is the communities that develop around them. I'm sure I enjoy a lot of the same video games and other media that gamergaters and neo-nazis love, but I spent my adolescence with people and on websites that pulled me to the left rather than hanging out with people that had particular opinions about Jews or how they felt about Indians (I'm from central Wyoming and lived in a settlement carved out of the Wind River Indian Reservation) or women.

Interesting list. How much harm did the naked lady in Titanic do to you?

This is what I mean when I say it's dependent on the individual child and it might behoove parents to pay a little more attention to this poo poo.

That second part: I don't think so.

I've always subscribed to the idea that most art and entertainment is a reflection more than a mold but I also think that relationship can be circular. Meaning that what we consume shapes our subsequent perception. I have little doubt that ANYTHING we consume helps to shape who we are, effects our health and how we think but I'm old enough to remember moms getting their panties in a twist about Dungeons and Dragons, KISS, Alice Cooper, Satanism, Black Sabbath and, later down the line, rap, Marilyn Manson, GTA and even poo poo like Harry Potter that's, by and large, pretty harmless. But I'm not gonna buy my kid an NWA album or a copy of Manhunt when he's 10 either.

I've often said that RWM, FOX, Megachurches and what have you shape the thinking of your average adult MAGA shithead so I think it'd be disingenuous for me to suggest that media, advertising and entertainment can't do hosed up poo poo to a child's mind.

But the effect and how far it can permeate the adolescent psyche is secondary compared to things like sexual/phsycial abuse, corporal punishment, neglect, a bad diet, addiction, constant fighting, alcoholism in the home, ugly divorce, poverty, lack of education, environment/pollution and things like that which I think OPEN UP a child to being more negatively effected by GTA, DOOM or whatever. But, regardless, maybe it's not a good idea to let a young kid play Vice City or Duke Nukem.

IN short, here's Brock Landers and Chest Rockwell to summarize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufdXM2cj84

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Archbishop who is overseeing the funerals in Uvalde said today that guns have become an idol. It did give me pause for thought that even though it's obvious, I'd not really considered that the American right truly do worship guns as false idols.

Think of how they make their statements after these acts of violence and tell me you don't see the "God works in mysterious ways" rationalisation.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've upset people on Facebook with a comparison to Moloch worship.

You read about it in books and think "how could any society let that kind of thing go on?" But it doesn't even take a huge number of Moloch worshippers to keep us stuck if those worshipers are absolutely obsessed with their beliefs and are willing to do anything to keep Moloch happy.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There was an opinion article floating around that explicitly called "The Gun" U.S. society's Moloch, that we must sacrifice our children to daily so the sun may rise we can keep our freedom. Thought that one was pretty good.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Burning_Monk posted:

I got in trouble once because I was making a map for Duke Nukem 3D on some graph paper and the quarterback of the school team thought I was planning an attack.

I used to regularly print homebrew explosive recipes from BBSes in the computer lab. The Computer Science teacher looked at them as they came out one day and said "you're gonna come in here missing a hand sometime" and went about his business. poo poo was very different in 1995, man.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BiggerBoat posted:

Interesting list. How much harm did the naked lady in Titanic do to you?

Not at all. I'm a straight white boy, but seeing tits at that point had no effect on me yet. I didn't know what sex was at all until I was almost out of sixth grade.

quote:

That second part: I don't think so.

I don't mean that violent media is part of the pipeline to becoming a mass murderer. What I meant was that I think video games can be used as a first step for impressionable men to fall into ultra right-wing groups with a common interest and turn it into a culture war issue. They started a harassment campaign over a woman releasing a game about getting through depression that she gave away for free because her ex was mad she dumped him.

Or maybe I'm not making sense

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

The Archbishop who is overseeing the funerals in Uvalde said today that guns have become an idol. It did give me pause for thought that even though it's obvious, I'd not really considered that the American right truly do worship guns as false idols.

Think of how they make their statements after these acts of violence and tell me you don't see the "God works in mysterious ways" rationalisation.

Well, I mean

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Always worth keeping in mind when seeing photos like this is the fact that the absolute cheapest of any gun featured here would be around $500, and every fully kitted out rifle represents at least $2k but probably a lot more. Also, every one would describe themselves as hard working and just trying to get by despite the tremendous oppression they experience at the hands of <whatever the latest talking point is>

Probably the most honest self-selected representation here is the weirdo Jeb!ing it up in a hideous vault attached to the kitchen which his own vanity demanded he give a glass wall

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

There was an opinion article floating around that explicitly called "The Gun" U.S. society's Moloch, that we must sacrifice our children to daily so the sun may rise we can keep our freedom. Thought that one was pretty good.

"Our Moloch" by Gary Willis:

quote:

That horror cannot be blamed just on one unhinged person. It was the sacrifice we as a culture made, and continually make, to our demonic god. We guarantee that crazed man after crazed man will have a flood of killing power readily supplied him. We have to make that offering, out of devotion to our Moloch, our god. The gun is our Moloch. We sacrifice children to him daily—sometimes, as at Sandy Hook, by directly throwing them into the fire-hose of bullets from our protected private killing machines, sometimes by blighting our children’s lives by the death of a parent, a schoolmate, a teacher, a protector. Sometimes this is done by mass killings (eight this year), sometimes by private offerings to the god (thousands this year).

The gun is not a mere tool, a bit of technology, a political issue, a point of debate. It is an object of reverence. Devotion to it precludes interruption with the sacrifices it entails. Like most gods, it does what it will, and cannot be questioned. Its acolytes think it is capable only of good things. It guarantees life and safety and freedom. It even guarantees law. Law grows from it. Then how can law question it?

Its power to do good is matched by its incapacity to do anything wrong. It cannot kill. Thwarting the god is what kills. If it seems to kill, that is only because the god’s bottomless appetite for death has not been adequately fed. The answer to problems caused by guns is more guns, millions of guns, guns everywhere, carried openly, carried secretly, in bars, in churches, in offices, in government buildings. Only the lack of guns can be a curse, not their beneficent omnipresence.

Adoration of Moloch permeates the country, imposing a hushed silence as he works his will. One cannot question his rites, even as the blood is gushing through the idol’s teeth. The White House spokesman invokes the silence of traditional in religious ceremony. “It is not the time” to question Moloch. No time is right for showing disrespect for Moloch.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Groovelord Neato posted:

"Our Moloch" by Gary Willis:

Moloch labe

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

is this a catholic Archbishop?, do other non Anglican or Greek Ortho sects have bishops ?? American fundies will just go papist POS/one of the bad ones and ignore this while some of the donnie loving Archbishops go on Fox and bark some poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Star Man posted:

Not at all. I'm a straight white boy, but seeing tits at that point had no effect on me yet. I didn't know what sex was at all until I was almost out of sixth grade.

I don't mean that violent media is part of the pipeline to becoming a mass murderer. What I meant was that I think video games can be used as a first step for impressionable men to fall into ultra right-wing groups with a common interest and turn it into a culture war issue. They started a harassment campaign over a woman releasing a game about getting through depression that she gave away for free because her ex was mad she dumped him.

Or maybe I'm not making sense

I think you have it a little backwards or at least, you're right but it all ends up in a "so what?" because you're describing a problem that comes down to human behavior more than specific media.

For a famous example, Hitler loved the books of Charles May, specifically the westerns he wrote about his inverted travels around the US. May never actually went to the US but wrote stories inspired by westerns he had read. Hitler was a man child so he loved these books and would insist on making his generals read them and they would bond over these rough and tumble westerns. Except May was also a humanist Christian pacifist and this was reflected in his writing. So the Nazi high command bonded over and treated these adventures about conquering the west... written by a Christian humanist.

And so what that says to me is that the actual media does not matter at all. There will always be a benign shared interest that these groups will use to then come together and find fellow travelers. You can't make that go away. For a more modern example, Warhammer 40K is known for having a fascist problem. It's a satire of fascism that the fascists are too thick to get. In Europe specific football club fandom can be a gateway to fascism. I don't have a good ancient history example but I'm sure someone does.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

is this a catholic Archbishop?, do other non Anglican or Greek Ortho sects have bishops ?? American fundies will just go papist POS/one of the bad ones and ignore this while some of the donnie loving Archbishops go on Fox and bark some poo poo.

Yeah he's a Catholic Archbishop, in this case of San Antonio https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavo_Garc%C3%ADa-Siller

He was born in Mexico so yeah chuds will dismiss him out of hand.

As for other denominations, in the Anglican Church we do, the highest one being the Archbishop of Canterbury. Or when he's spitting fire we call him the Archbishop of Banterbury.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Star Man posted:

I was being factious. My son has seen tits in Terminator, Titanic, Airplane and probably a few other things and the only thing I notice is he's starting to have boners here and there but I imagine that would happen anyway.

So far he hasn't shot anybody. Unless nerf and water guns count.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Gun culture is definitely a new religion.

“It’s not the gun that is the problem, it is the gun crowd that is the problem.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbXTDuwSVkk

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
me : i wish the saying "conservatism didnt fail , we failed conservatism ."

*monkey paw curls*

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Pretty sure every other country in the world has access to violent video games and Hollywood action movies. What they don't have are lax gun laws and a political-commercial complex that hypes up gun bravado as an identity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

America is a profoundly sick place. Other countries don’t hate themselves and want to die. Every gun person imagines slaughtering an undifferentiated horde before being overwhelmed and dying. It’s maybe the sickest thing I can imagine, and it’s all they think about. Maybe it’s black people, maybe it’s police, or maybe they don’t care.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Show had some issues, and unfortunately it never had mote than one season. But American Gods just .gets. our gun culture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGlbksXZvqs

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 1, 2022

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

killer_robot posted:

Show had some issues, and unfortunately it never had mote than one season. But American Gods just .gets. our gun culture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGlbksXZvqs

They made 3 seasons, but lost the original showrunners after the first.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Sekhmnet posted:

They made 3 seasons, but lost the original showrunners after the first.

Probably counts as right wing media given what the showrunner that killed the show did:

They also lost a whole lot of support due to the behavior of the newest showrunner later on. Like kicking out Orlando Jones who played Anansi because of the speeches his character made regarding how black lives are treated in America and such. Someone higher up at that point didn't see it as an "appropriate" topic and thought it was too inflammatory or something like that. Of course then poo poo like the Charlottesville rallies happened and oops it turns out whoever fired him had his head up his rear end.

poo poo like that scene couldn't happen by season 3 because the folks coming in were apathetic to anything to do with problems with American culture like what was in that video. It's not really unfair to say that it was entirely a different show by then by dint of some profoundly privileged idiots being brought in. Cue everyone changing the channel when season 3 came out. I think by the end it had absolutely abysmal ratings, to the point that barely anyone watched it.

Keep in mind Vulcan (the town that scene takes place in) is in the same state as the Charlottesville neo-nazi rally too. So, yeah. Bit of a big yikes moment for the next showrunner to go the route he did and say the topics of the show were wrong for African Americans. Especially when you think about earlier scenes from the show like the one posted up above or the scene with the slave ship.

https://www.theroot.com/orlando-jones-says-he-was-fired-from-american-gods-mr-1840443552

quote:

Is something rotten in the cotton at FremantleMedia?

The European-owned television production company is embroiled in more racially-tinged drama with another African American actor they let go from a plum gig.

Following Gabrielle Union’s much-publicized ouster from NBC’s America’s Got Talent, comes news that Orlando Jones was 86-ed from American Gods — the fierce Starz drama series, which is another FremantleMedia property.

But get this: Jones is claiming that the new showrunner, who is white, thought his character, Mr. Nancy, was not right for black America.

“I’m not going to name names but the new season 3 showrunner is Connecticut born and Yale-educated, so he’s very smart and he thinks that Mr. Nancy’s angry, get sh– done is the wrong message for black America.”

A rep for the Emmy Award-winning writer and producer of NYPD Blue, The Shield and Dexter also released a statement claiming, “Mr. Jones is wrong on multiple counts, the least of which is Mr. Eglee was not born in Connecticut.”

Eglee, who taught film history at Yale University, was born in Boston and has been on the writing staff of six of “The 101 Best Written TV Series of All Time,” chosen by the Writers Guild of America.

This interview goes a bit more into how lovely the people that ended up running things are and how they basically purged the cast of (much beloved, I should add) minority characters outside of the protagonist and the one black goddess (Who they changed to being an african god since they needed an african god for the story. :psyduck:) that they couldn't write their way out of getting rid of. Along with how they dicked over Orlando Jones in multiple ways while cynically using him to hype up season 3 all while also carefully avoiding telling him that he wasn't going to be in it for like nineteen months too.

And this was because the new showrunner thought he knew better than the guy who's the actual minority when it came to speaking about justice and equality and the frustration that comes with dealing with blatantly awful people who go out of their way to make trouble for others. Which is a bit ironic, really.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/orlando-jones-fired-american-gods-interview-mr-nancy-1203436890/

quote:

“He told everybody that he wrote from the black male perspective, told everybody that he thought [Nancy] was bad for black America,” Jones said.

quote:

On Twitter, Kraish confirmed that he had also been told he wasn’t returning as Jinn. “I can confirm that I wasn’t asked to come back this season,” he wrote. “It has been an honor to play the Jinn and live in his fiery eyed skin. This character has introduced me to so much and I was proud to represent not just the Middle Eastern community in such a positive role you don’t normally see television but also the LGBTQ community that supported this character of color that you don’t see on television.”

Fuller and Green introduced Mr. Nancy in Season 1 with a memorable scene featuring Jones’ character on a slave ship — and he lauds the two writers for the scene. Even with Fuller and Green gone, “I came to Season 2 with the expectation that that is what would happen, somebody else would write these characters,” Jones said. “I did not come to Season 2 with the expectation that that job to write my own character was going to fall in my hands, nor did I expect Neil to ask me to do it, nor did I expect them to be angry with me about it.”

“To now pretend that this is just about some creative direction is really insulting,” he said. “My hope is that nobody finds himself in a scenario where they go into a show, and this is what they deal with: a 19-month hiatus taking you out of work, and then to be fired summarily at the last minute.”

This is what the guy looks like by the way. He's what you'd expect:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 1, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Archonex posted:

Probably counts as right wing media given what the showrunner that killed the show did:

They also lost a whole lot of support due to the behavior of the newest showrunner later on. Like kicking out Orlando Bloom who played Anansi because of the speeches his character made regarding how black lives are treated in America and such. Someone higher up at that point didn't see it as an "appropriate" topic and thought it was too inflammatory or something like that. Of course then poo poo like the Charlottesville rallies happened and oops it turns out whoever fired him had his head up his rear end.

The voice of black america:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Pretty clear from the articles linked that he meant Orlando Jones, but definitely an amusing typo

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tarezax posted:

Pretty clear from the articles linked that he meant Orlando Jones, but definitely an amusing typo

Yeah, my bad. It was a lot to type up and it's late here.

Also, for some reason when I typed his name in to make sure it was accurate after I had dug up those old articles it defaulted to bloom instead of jones. So I just copied and pasted that in instead of paying attention. I then did it again by accident while trying to type up a tl;dr of all of that in this post before realizing that I had gotten the name wrong yet again.

And that's why we never rely on google's auto-complete when tired. :science:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 1, 2022

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I sympathize with wanting to find meaning in the senseless deaths of kids via taking a look at media, but you have to reckon with the fact that most mass media is downstream from politics.

It's comforting to believe it's upstream because then you can effect change just by changing the small collection of people who produce media. It's not true, though.

If it were true then Democrats would have done something on gay marriage 15 years earlier than they did, and the thing they did was let SCOTUS do it while not backstopping it at all at the federal level. The healthcare system would have been fixed ages ago because of depictions of the horrors of the system in media.

The violence in US media is there because the US is a violent culture that finds comfort in narratives where conflict is dealt with violently. It's partly like this because violence is ubiquitous and the GOP protects the rights of those who would commit it to commit it.

Of course Americans don't have a sense of justice or proportionality. The response to 9/11 was to murder a million people who had nothing to do with it instead of interrogating why an ally bankrolled it.

You're not going to fix violence in US media until you fix the root cause of it, which is the imperial and fascist nature of the US as a global state. The media is fascist because the state is fascist and people in the US broadly like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Everyone likes being on top, or at least believing that they are on top.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

KozmoNaut posted:

Everyone likes being on top, or at least believing that they are on top.

Tell it to a bottom

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

So I guess the thing now is when some rear end in a top hat shoots up a school, what we do is go down a checklist of poo poo we don't like and cram it in there as an explantion.

Trans people, Muslims, leftists, Antifa, immigrants, lock downs, Biden, no prayer in schools...probably a Soros, a CRT and a Pelosi in there.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also WOKENESS. Dammit I knew I forgot a few

Forgot WEED on that list too

https://twitter.com/iamgabesanchez/status/1531847271033098241

Didn't see that one coming

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Has Tucker finally made an enemy he cannot endure? https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1531807595169820672

BTS Army truly the Red Army of our times.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

Forgot WEED on that list too

https://twitter.com/iamgabesanchez/status/1531847271033098241

Didn't see that one coming

The trend toward cannabis decriminalization and legalization has been going too smoothly so I expected there'd be a backlash eventually. However, I do think the momentum is still too strong for Laura Ingraham and her ilk to reverse things back to the "reefer madness" era of the 1930s or even the "War on Drugs" from the '70s and '80s.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Has Tucker finally made an enemy he cannot endure? https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1531807595169820672

BTS Army truly the Red Army of our times.

Funny how Biden bringing a hugely popular Korean group to talk about anti Asian sentiment is "trying to get street cred", when the right trots out whatever washed up quasi celebrity they can find as often as possible (Nugent, Sorbo, loving MTVs Kennedy...).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Don't forget the divorced dad formerly known as Ye.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Epic High Five posted:

Always worth keeping in mind when seeing photos like this is the fact that the absolute cheapest of any gun featured here would be around $500, and every fully kitted out rifle represents at least $2k but probably a lot more.
drat, that guy's got a nice late model Corvette lying around there.

I AM GRANDO posted:

America is a profoundly sick place. Other countries don’t hate themselves and want to die. Every gun person imagines slaughtering an undifferentiated horde before being overwhelmed and dying. It’s maybe the sickest thing I can imagine, and it’s all they think about. Maybe it’s black people, maybe it’s police, or maybe they don’t care.
People should consider that maybe America doesn't have lots of violence because of violent movies; maybe it makes violent movies because there's so much violence here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

NDP posted:

The trend toward cannabis decriminalization and legalization has been going too smoothly so I expected there'd be a backlash eventually. However, I do think the momentum is still too strong for Laura Ingraham and her ilk to reverse things back to the "reefer madness" era of the 1930s or even the "War on Drugs" from the '70s and '80s.

Maybe. I dunno.

My ex in laws were telling my ex wife about this brand new drug called "cannabis" that fucks kids up and comes in candy form now. All the kids are doing it. It's the new Jenkham.

I don't know how you live to be 80 and don't know what the gently caress pot is, especially since their son made the front page 30 years ago for being busted with it as a high school teacher, but these are my reports from the ground.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 1, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe. I dunno.

My ex in laws were telling my ex wife about this brand new drug called "cannabis" that fucks kids up and comes in candy form now. All the kids are doing it. It's the new Jenkham.

I don't know how you live to be 80 and don't know what the gently caress pot is, especially since their son made the front page 30 years ago for being busted with it as a high school teacher, but these are my reports from the ground.

Possibly just confused by the word "cannabis" and not realizing it's the same thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cross-faded on weed, pot and ganja, as well as both marijuana AND marihuana. I'm insatiable

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Clarste posted:

Possibly just confused by the word "cannabis" and not realizing it's the same thing.

Well...sorry. Still no.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Cross-faded on weed, pot and ganja, as well as both marijuana AND marihuana. I'm insatiable

https://youtu.be/ygwObQk2c0o 39 seconds I don’t know how to do this on mobile.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Reported for doxxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrUnderbridge posted:

Funny how Biden bringing a hugely popular Korean group to talk about anti Asian sentiment is "trying to get street cred", when the right trots out whatever washed up quasi celebrity they can find as often as possible (Nugent, Sorbo, loving MTVs Kennedy...).

I wonder if this is their plan for Johnny Depp. Even though he won the case I doubt any major studio or production will touch him with a 100 foot pole. Then the daily wire people show up and say " we stood by you when the mainstream media said you were a wife beater, be in our 50000 dollar movie with 3 retired ufc fighters that will play on our website."
There's no way they'll ever get any as big as Depp any other way. Maybe they're hoping he becomes the new John Voight or even dare I say James Woods.