Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

You cannot make a story without using any tropes whatsoever. The word trope is not synonymous with cliche.

as a wise wixoss character once said: "I love cliches!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

You cannot make a story without using any tropes whatsoever. The word trope is not synonymous with cliche.

sure you can

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

Interesting, is the OVA worth a look or is it better to just stick to the manga?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXWIYRnElk

Fun fact: Kamelot actually put this video on their website (minus the added subtitles) waaaaay back in the day because they liked it so much. :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People get weird when talking about tropes or cliches.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

On the other hand, I implore you not to use the website TV Tropes for anything.

everything about tvtropes and what sprouted from it makes sense when you learn it's a renamed joss whedon fansite

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i like to point at Tropes and Cliches and shoot them with my Magic Gun

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

We already had a TV tropes tv show its about time we got an anime

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
we what

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mix. posted:

We already had a TV tropes tv show

I’m gonna need you to elaborate on this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was a miniseries on something called ShareTV

https://imdb.com/title/tt2110695/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unless Fast Eddie is involved I'm not interested. Dude wears a literal lampshade on his head.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the measure of worth for a series is less whether it employs cliches/shorthands and more whether it contains original ideas that are interesting

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The two Macross Frontier movies are coming to US theaters through Fathom events so I decided now is the time to watch all of Macross.

I am starting with Macross Zero. How is it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bad and also the dumbest possible place to start

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

look, it's called macross zero and that comes with some assumptions

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nobody in history has started with macross zero

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i assume the frontier movie watch prep is: sdf macross, do you remember love, macross frontier (series)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

when i ran the year long macross stream awhile ago, the only reason i even bothered to include zero was because it makes one scene in frontier a little more fun. and by the time we got there no one else even remembered zero existing anyway. that scenes not even in the movies either

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One could absolutely watch the Frontier movies stand alone.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dogsicle posted:

i assume the frontier movie watch prep is: sdf macross, do you remember love, macross frontier (series)
they're compilation movies so there's no need to watch the frontier series, and frontier is 3/4ths a remake of SDF anyway so even that is a little redundant. although SDF and DYRL are good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm sad because I have a closing shift on the night the first movie is showing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

homeless snail posted:

they're compilation movies so there's no need to watch the frontier series, and frontier is 3/4ths a remake of SDF anyway so even that is a little redundant. although SDF and DYRL are good

i can't believe they made the series like this just to own me

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Plus is okay.

Also it has Information High.

Seven's okay but also don't watch a 50 episode anime that's only vaguely related as prep to watch some movies lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's extremely funny because I had independently become obsessed with Universal Bunny right as the movie runs were announced.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the only good marcross is marcross 82-99

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

extremely wrong and also theyre bad

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I grew up a Gundam guy, and "Robotech" was a hot mess when I was a kid, so going back to watch all of this will be fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's pronounced flontier

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the hosed up thing is there's a robotech prequel comic book that's a way better macross zero than macross zero is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My main experience with Macross is that I rented Robotech Battlecry one weekend when I was in high school.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

extremely wrong and also theyre bad

You've made a powerful enemy this day.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

My main experience with Macross is that I rented Robotech Battlecry one weekend when I was in high school.

my condolences

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Macross Zero was pretty

That's all I've got

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

the only good marcross is marcross 82-99

absolute king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdDRL1ralAY

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus is good and it has Bryan Cranston being a surprisingly excellent dub actor. It's also very Top Gun which is a net positive in my book.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wait until you hear the original song before they put it through this lovely low pass filter

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My dumb brain has never understood the appeal of giant bipedal robots fighting each other. I don't know why.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

coincidentally macross zero is the only macross series about giant bipedal robots fighting each other

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Plus and Wings of Goodbye loving rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

You could honestly just start w the tv show SDF Macross, I've been doing two a day when I can and its so entertaining