Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Morbus posted:

This should never happen, and there is a thermal interlock that's supposed to prevent it from happening if something goes wrong. Just to be clear you were using the normal windburner pot and not a modified/different one right? Sounds like something went terribly wrong with your stove

Pics of the damage. It doesn't look terribly wrong, except for the melted bits. I'll post any info I get back from their repair department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ryanrs posted:

Pics of the damage. It doesn't look terribly wrong, except for the melted bits. I'll post any info I get back from their repair department.

lmao yeah that's not supposed to happen. If nothing else the thermal trip should have gone off. And even if the thermal interlock fails (which it really shouldn't), overheating it to the point that the heat exchanger fins melt should really only happen if you're running the stove with an empty pot or something dumb, but you were just boiling water.

If it were a design flaw I would expect to see more cases like this, so maybe it is a manufacturing defect in your case or something.

Anyway, designing these things with aluminum heat exchangers always seemed dumb to me, but probably there are some cost & manufacturability constraints preventing them from using materials that won't melt so easily.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Aluminum is lightweight and conducts heat well.

If I had to guess at a cause, it'd be the welds. They're some kind of micro spot welds, with no filler metal. The fusion cross section is minuscule. So if the fins or the cup distort, you could get a micro air gap between the fins and the cup. That would hugely reduce thermal conductivity, causing the fin to melt, and possibly distorting the metal more, causing other fins to melt.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Been thinking for a long time about getting an inreach or similar. What's a good option that has simple (or even preset) texts + an oh poo poo button?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have been considering something like that myself and am pretty sure when I do buy one it'll be the Zoleo not a Garmin. They're currently $150 and after your initial 3 month subcription you can pause/restart the sub as needed.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

alnilam posted:

Been thinking for a long time about getting an inreach or similar. What's a good option that has simple (or even preset) texts + an oh poo poo button?

I can't do a comparison between models for you, but I can tell you about what we have.

InReach Mini has three preset texts (that you can change/create) which are easy to send from the device alone. They also don't count against your monthly allotment that you pay for. I made three generally vague ones that can be used in a variety of situations (I think I did "Starting here", "Stopping here", and "Everything is okay").

You can send custom detailed texts from the device, but you have to use the very clunky on screen keyboard. Easier is pairing it with a phone via Bluetooth and typing out a message in the app. Custom messages use your monthly allotment. We have a lesser subscription that gives us 10 texts a month (I think?) and 50¢ per message after that. Due to the free presets we've never hit that monthly cap. I figure the day I do it's because of an actual emergency requiring lots of communication, in which case a few bucks of texts going over my monthly amount is no big deal.

And of course there is an SOS button (hard button on the side with a cover to prevent accidental presses).

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I have a ZOLEO and I recommend it. It has a physical check-in /location button as well a physical SOS button. Unlike the garmin it does a good job of synchronizing the app and indicating whether or not your messages were received.

Plan and device costs are reasonable, and you can also pause your plan during the off season.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like my garmin inreach mini if only because my friends and I have a history of breaking or losing (okay more like accidentally hucking it off a bridge or cliff or one time having it fall into a crevasse trying to take a selfie) phones backpacking and having the ability to send preset texts (or really slowly type out custom texts) on the device itself is super nice.

IF you're just looking for the basics, it looks like it's on sale for $150 at REI and a couple other places. That's a p good deal.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 27, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have the inReach Mini and can pause my subscription as well

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The activation fees on spot and inreach subs, combined with the higher monthly cost for "flexible" plans are pretty ridiculous to the point I chose to just keep it active all year round. Kind of nice to have that peace of mind when I'm driving in the middle of nowhere even if I'm not staying there.

Not sure about zoleo. I've only heard good things about it but I can't get past the phone only interface. I think it has a physical "check in" button too, but having the SOS button become my only method of receiving assistance if my phone breaks is no bueno. Unless I'm going to die I would much rather text a loved one to contact park rangers or "friends of" group for whichever wilderness area I am in.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I have a PLB for true emergencies, and cell phone and ham radio for other things. But I am a radio nerd who car camps, so I have all sorts of antennas and masts and crap with me anyway. I've used a 2M vehicle radio to summon the sheriff from no-cell-coverage wilderness. It works ok if you do your homework (like knowing how to operate your radio and marking all the area repeaters on your regional topo map).

e:

Log periodic directional antenna atop 16 ft mast for hitting distant Verizon towers.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 28, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

ryanrs posted:

I have a PLB for true emergencies, and cell phone and ham radio for other things. But I am a radio nerd who car camps, so I have all sorts of antennas and masts and crap with me anyway. I've used a 2M vehicle radio to summon the sheriff from no-cell-coverage wilderness. It works ok if you do your homework (like knowing how to operate your radio and marking all the area repeaters on your regional topo map).

e:

Log periodic directional antenna atop 16 ft mast for hitting distant Verizon towers.

I don’t think I can fit one of those in my backpack

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just strap it to the side

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you'll have to just bring a long wire and climb a tree

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I made a nice discovery yesterday. I was being dragged out by Mrs. Trophy to look at furniture, when we came across a little shop in an artsy shopping mall. I did not look like much at first, but upon closer look, it was packed with nearly every Snow Peak item in the flesh. According to the owner, only the Snow Peak flagship stores have more items in stock.

Not just the few items you see at REI, but kettles, full plate sets, large car camping burners, and Ti items in different colors.

I know much of it can be bought online, but it was really nice to see and feel it all in person.

I ended up buying a double wall 350ml steel camp mug and a green Ti spork. My visiting NZ friend went nuts and bought a cookset, some sporks and a camp mug, all Ti.

The place was called Sisu, one small location in Costa Mesa, a larger one in La Habra CA

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

$30 Klymit Static V Sleeping Pad (Sam's Club)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

I asked around and there was another goon that wholeheartedly recommended it. Now, I hope they're still in stock...

Thermarest prolite apex is big but amazingly comfortable in my test run. Much better than the other mats I had before, and comfortably fits within my tent (rei passage 1). I was worried that I got one that was too tall (25"x77") but it turns out that my normal sleeping position easily uses the entire length.

I've yet to try to stuff it in my backpack. Fingers crossed...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
After nearly ten years on my big Agnes insulated q core pad I think it's toast. I've patched it a few times successfully.

Fast forward to this week, I tried again with soap and found two small leaks. I patched them with goo and went car camping this weekend. After about two hours, I woke up on the ground again. I would wake up, reinflate and go back to sleep. All. Night. Long.

Needless to say when we had to go into town mid trip to buy wood, because everything was drenched, I ducked into a hardware store and bought a thermarest zpad sol I don't like foam pads but it's better than nothing and it can be used in conjunction with a new air pad on cold trips or fitting car camping to protect against rocks and sticks. It wasn't great (side sleeper) but it was much better than nothing.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

After nearly ten years on my big Agnes insulated q core pad I think it's toast. I've patched it a few times successfully.

Fast forward to this week, I tried again with soap and found two small leaks. I patched them with goo and went car camping this weekend. After about two hours, I woke up on the ground again. I would wake up, reinflate and go back to sleep. All. Night. Long.

Needless to say when we had to go into town mid trip to buy wood, because everything was drenched, I ducked into a hardware store and bought a thermarest zpad sol I don't like foam pads but it's better than nothing and it can be used in conjunction with a new air pad on cold trips or fitting car camping to protect against rocks and sticks. It wasn't great (side sleeper) but it was much better than nothing.

oof. I'm a stomach sleeper myself so I can make do with something thinner, but I'm still looking for good recs for side sleepers in case I can tempt a friend or two to camp with me. I hope you find a good replacement!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Review time!
I got a free tent from Battle box. While I was unimpressed with the box to the point that I cancelled after opening it, I was surprised by the tent.
It's appears to be the same tent they have on their website for $140, but just yellow and Gray instead of brown and black. It is a clone of the snubpak iosphere. For me it is more of a bivy than a tent. I can't see doing much in it other than sleeping But however you define it. There is room for one person and their hiking bag.

I had it up for 3 days and it seemed to do fine. I tend to hammock camp so I did not spend much time in it, But I did crawl in it a bunch to seam seal. As for accessories, it has lightweight, aluminum poles and really durable aluminum stakes that I will be using for my hammock rainfly because they are better than what I have and it came with like eight extra stakes. It has way more tie-down points than it needs so you can really lock it down if you need. All in all for the $40 to get one crappy subscription box and this surprisingly decent tent was totally worth it.

The only complaint I have is the seam seal it came with is trash. I was excited because I was going to seam seal a bunch of things anyway. But it went on badly and dried white. Here it is on my hammock rain fly over 24 hours after drying.

Ended up grabbing whatever seam seal Walmart had and it was better, But the next time I'm a waterproofing and seam sealing, I'm going to just buy an extra can of silicone spray and go over the seams super close and soak them.

I grabbed this tent because if my son and I go backpacking he hasn't had luck sleeping in a hammock so we need something lightweight for him to sleep in. I also have a friend I want to get into backpacking and I don't know if he'll enjoy. Hammocks or tents. So now I have extras of both.

Bonus picture of all the crap set up that I was spraying down.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 1, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've got goop and seam grip. They work about the same but goop is cheaper for a much bigger tube. They dry flexible and mostly clear.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have never seam sealed a tent I bought. I could see needing to do this to one that I'd had for a while, but are you supposed to do this to new tents? I've stayed dry in mine.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

guppy posted:

I have never seam sealed a tent I bought. I could see needing to do this to one that I'd had for a while, but are you supposed to do this to new tents? I've stayed dry in mine.

It's pretty common yeah. If needed it should be mentioned somewhere in the product details or manual.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

What's the go to general use sleeping bag these days? I need a packable bag for the kiddo, want to get him an adult one. I had a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 that was great, would do again unless there's a solid bag otherwise.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yooper posted:

What's the go to general use sleeping bag these days? I need a packable bag for the kiddo, want to get him an adult one. I had a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 that was great, would do again unless there's a solid bag otherwise.

The Mountain Hardware Bishop Pass hits a lot of sweet spots, and what I plan on getting for a winter bag, but the Kelly CD20 is still one of the best rated bags out there. My regular camping buddy has one and swears by it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

guppy posted:

I watched a lot of reviews for this tent, and I'm guessing it comes with seam sealer because it has seam tape, but a lot of the reviews mentioned that in big rains it got some drip's coming through at some of the more complicated seams. I wasn't planning on it either but it came with some and then I watched reviews and I'm like sure why not. I'm setting up everything to waterproof anyway.

I was waterproofing everything because I wanted my under quilt to be waterproof for splash up and my car camping tent is almost two decades old at this point and it gets moisture in it when it rains bad. Also, I bought the cheapest rainfly that exists because I didn't know if hammock camping was for me and If water pools in it it will then have a little penetration. Like the new tent it fell into the category of, well. If I'm doing all these other things I may as well set this up and do it too. Plus I wanted to spray it with permethrim so it already be set up.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

RodShaft posted:

I was waterproofing everything because I wanted my under quilt to be waterproof for splash up and my car camping tent is almost two decades old at this point and it gets moisture in it when it rains bad. Also, I bought the cheapest rainfly that exists because I didn't know if hammock camping was for me and If water pools in it it will then have a little penetration.

Curious about this. Are you spraying some sort of waterproofing agent on your down underquilt?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Curious about this. Are you spraying some sort of waterproofing agent on your down underquilt?

Silicone spray just on the outside which was already nylon. This might not be the right thing to do. I have no idea what I'm doing. I just do things.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Eh, in my opinion not likely to help all that much but probably wont hurt any. For fears about splashback on UQ I'd offer two pieces of advice.

1. Get a wide enough tarp. I think you mentioned you got a cheap silnylon one off of amazon. So long as its not super narrow you should be OK. When pitched properly your tarp should be out on the sides enough to prevent splashing onto your UQ.
2. To prevent pooling up on your tarp, especially if setup in porch mode, make one side (I usually do my foot end) slightly lower so that rain will drain down to that end.

If you're really planning on camping in sideways rain just get a UQ protector. But in all the years and trips Ive done hammock camping I can only think of one night where I needed one.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

guppy posted:

Depends on the material and construction. For thermobonded or otherwise non-stitched construction, seam sealing isn't necessary, but this is uncommon for most tent materials other than DCF. For e.g. (sil)nylon tents, if it has been seam taped at the factory, then seam sealing is not needed (although the quality and durability of seam taping varies a lot, especially on thinner fabrics). If the tent has stitched seams that haven't been taped or sealed at the factory, then seam sealing is needed for them to be waterproof (but how big of an issue rain leaking through seams actually is depends on conditions).

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Eh, in my opinion not likely to help all that much but probably wont hurt any. For fears about splashback on UQ I'd offer two pieces of advice.

1. Get a wide enough tarp. I think you mentioned you got a cheap silnylon one off of amazon. So long as its not super narrow you should be OK. When pitched properly your tarp should be out on the sides enough to prevent splashing onto your UQ.
2. To prevent pooling up on your tarp, especially if setup in porch mode, make one side (I usually do my foot end) slightly lower so that rain will drain down to that end.

If you're really planning on camping in sideways rain just get a UQ protector. But in all the years and trips Ive done hammock camping I can only think of one night where I needed one.

Yeah it wasn't really anything that I needed to do or have had an issue with. I was going to spray it for bugs and then I was like "ooh I should waterproof the outside" I've had it out a bunch with no issue including in foot and a half deep water in a summer storm in South Carolina. Don't ask why I thought I should do it. I just do things sometimes.

That was only time my rain fly pooled water. I had it setup with my trekking poles to make an awning on one side and just didn't have it right enough. It's big enough I COULD button it down pretty low if I had to, but just making a regular pup tent shape over my hammock kept me dry in a pretty rough storm.

Here is a picture from a year or so ago.

I can carabiner those clips on the side together to button it up tight if I have to.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 2, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I was just out this weekend and when the group started hanging tarps, they couldn't figure out how to get them tight. As someone who doesn't know a lot of traditional knots, I've found that the tautline hitch is probably one of the most useful knots to know while camping/backpacking. I recalled the taut line hitch that my step dads hunting buddies taught me years ago and you would have thought I did a magic trick. The tarps were tight, flat and didn't hold any water when it rained.

Thats my ted talk.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

That’s a good knot graphic

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
That's a decent option. I prefer using a trucker's hitch though. It gives you more leverage to tighten the tarp and it won't slip.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I'm given to understand you want a taught line hitch for things you might need to adjust a lot like staking a tent, and the trucker's hitch with prussik loops for a ridgeline or anything else where you're going to want maximum tension. There's an iOS app called "Knots 3D" that I love for instruction (it also has background on each knot).

Also grab yourself a couple of feet of 550 cord and a carabiner and keep them by your keyboard. It's great for practicing things like bowlines, truckers hitch, sheepshank, clove hitch, etc.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I lean way too heavily on truckers hitch and bowlines. What am I gonna do when I run out of them?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

There's a slipknot version called Farrimond Friction Hitch that I like because it's easier to untie.

https://youtu.be/D71hh2T7bD8

There's no good graphic to describe it so here's a video.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

waffle enthusiast posted:

There's an iOS app called "Knots 3D" that I love for instruction (it also has background on each knot).

Huh, I don't know why I never considered finding an app for knots. That's a great idea, thanks! I'm terrible about remembering or practicing knots.

Does this appear to be the same app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nynix.knots3d

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

incogneato posted:

Huh, I don't know why I never considered finding an app for knots. That's a great idea, thanks! I'm terrible about remembering or practicing knots.

Does this appear to be the same app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nynix.knots3d

That appears to be the same one yup! At least the publisher has the same name.

edit:

RodShaft posted:

There's a slipknot version called Farrimond Friction Hitch that I like because it's easier to untie.

https://youtu.be/D71hh2T7bD8

There's no good graphic to describe it so here's a video.

okay this is cool. Basically a prussik hitch on a bight with a slipped finish. Gonna have to remember this one.

edit 2: I just checked and it looks like Knots 3D has it. heh.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Verman posted:

I was just out this weekend and when the group started hanging tarps, they couldn't figure out how to get them tight. As someone who doesn't know a lot of traditional knots, I've found that the tautline hitch is probably one of the most useful knots to know while camping/backpacking. I recalled the taut line hitch that my step dads hunting buddies taught me years ago and you would have thought I did a magic trick. The tarps were tight, flat and didn't hold any water when it rained.

Thats my ted talk.

This is one of my favorite knots, although i learned that this is called the "adjustable grip hitch" and the tautline hitch is the same thing but a bit weaker, with one turn instead of two before passing the end through.