Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Looking forward to seeing Hellfire vs. T-72 videos, and all the jack-in-the-box turret fun. Though by the time these UAVs deploy, it might be Hellfires vs. T-54/55s

Not a single T-62 has popped up on Oryx so far, it's possible that the Russian armor shortage was overstated. Or fewer pics are showing up on social media now that Russians are advancing through depopulated hellscapes rather than retreating through inhabited cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

It's weird too because the majority of Warsaw Pact is now in NATO. Russia really is on their own these days.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Russia is following the same playbook we prefer.
It's easier to clear a building when it's rubble. Much safer, too. Look at what we did in Iraq- and that poo poo was minor.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bulletsponge13 posted:

Russia is following the same playbook we prefer.
It's easier to clear a building when it's rubble. Much safer, too. Look at what we did in Iraq- and that poo poo was minor.

I would’ve thought that’s the opposite, at least thinking of Monte Cassino.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

But yeah I’m interested to see how the Russians are going to be able to counter the MLRS and general atomics contribution.

And we'll probably get footage via DJI drones on TikTok. It's going to be nucking futs to see a U.S. MLRS grid removal in 1080p.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

karoshi posted:

Two interesting threads on the soon to be delivered GMRLS systems.

TLDR: 70+km range, 5m CEP

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1531012132975910912
https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1531067601006301184

Thanks for these. I’d long been curious about these systems and how they compared to smerch or uragan.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

psydude posted:

I'm of the strong opinion that we should be giving zero fucks about whether or not Ukraine uses those to immediately pummel Belogrod's train station and oil storage facilities into a collection of smoking craters.

Purely on a political level, it's extremely in everyone's (and particularly Ukraine's) interests that Russia does not get provoked into fully mobilizing

though yeah I see zero reason why Russia should be able to stage significant amounts of their materiel and resources out of depots around belgorod, either

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I would’ve thought that’s the opposite, at least thinking of Monte Cassino.

There were still buildings left there; there was some intent on limiting destruction.

The Russians are leveling towns and villages.

I mean, the rubble creates it's own tactical problem, but I would bet any force in the world given the option of going room to room, or twisting ankles over rubble- bust out the ACE wrap.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, Russia gonna Russia. Whatever anyone else does will have minimal impact on whether they fully mobilize or not. I see playing "not touching you" as more for international purposes.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I know it's my feeling like poo poo and being in a bad mood today, but gently caress russia and avoiding escalation with them. At this point we should just call their bluff and humiliate them on the world stage to see what would happen, along with reminding Germany of the blood debt they owe and how they should adjust their attitudes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

I remember Vindman and a bunch of the other more knowledgeable ukraine-focused people were making significant noise a couple months ago that what Ukraine urgently needs are actual reusable drone platforms and not the single use stuff. Like the single use stuff is great, but it's woefully inadequate relative to the scale of their needs.

Kinda surprised to see it actually happening, but it's a big deal. Interesting to see it come out on the same day as the MLRS stuff, too

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Germany and France kinda piss me off because if there's 2 countries in Europe I immediately think of as knowing in their bones what happens when a dictator with an axe to grind gets trigger happy in Europe it's them, and they have a major opportunity to demonstrate leadership and gain goodwill on the world stage and be on the right side of history this time and they just aren't taking it. It's maddening. Germany especially.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Purely on a political level, it's extremely in everyone's (and particularly Ukraine's) interests that Russia does not get provoked into fully mobilizing

though yeah I see zero reason why Russia should be able to stage significant amounts of their materiel and resources out of depots around belgorod, either

That's just kinda how it goes with these kind of wars. We've currently got the rest of the world training Ukrainians in the operation of donated weaponry and as long as they don't start firing from the wrong side of the Polish border Russia just has to let it happen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Germany’s in the position they’re in because they willingly and intentionally sold their future to make themselves dependent on Russian fuel, not because they haven’t invested in their own military

Like if we’re talking about undermining NATO I think the former is a bigger deal than the latter

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

Germany’s in the position they’re in because they willingly and intentionally sold their future to make themselves dependent on Russian fuel, not because they haven’t invested in their own military

Like if we’re talking about undermining NATO I think the former is a bigger deal than the latter

Ukrainian representative to the UN stands after throwing a handful of papers angrily on his desk:

"GOD DAMMIT GERMANY WHAT IS IT WITH YOU AND TERRITORIAL DICTATORS AND GAS!?"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
good thing germany has practically zero combat-ready military or Scholtz would probably have gotten 'mixed up' and ended up giving Russians military assistance

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1532144973134450688

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1532145484147486720

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1532144537094606848

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1532144425068945408

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I remember Vindman and a bunch of the other more knowledgeable ukraine-focused people were making significant noise a couple months ago that what Ukraine urgently needs are actual reusable drone platforms and not the single use stuff. Like the single use stuff is great, but it's woefully inadequate relative to the scale of their needs.

I don't know poo poo about poo poo, but are these things in any way more survivable against Russian AA?

Because as I understand it, Ukraine has lost plenty of their Bayraktars already. It doesn't matter how reusable they are, if they get shot down. Replacing cheap Turkish drones with expensive American ones doesn't sound like a great plan, unless they're also a lot harder to hit.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
People significantly more knowledgeable than me seemed to think that they'd be able to find a use for them, so I'm inclined to think that there are ways of using them that will be impactful and are not also just flying them in straight lines over the areas most heavily covered by russian aa.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

It's interesting how a knee-jerk decision made 11 years ago by Germany based on an earthquake, has played out on the world stage leading up to this.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

It's interesting how a knee-jerk decision made 11 years ago by Germany based on an earthquake, has played out on the world stage leading up to this.

Russian money played a part in that decision-making process. It is no accident that Germany ended up being dependent on Russian oil.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Wait, what?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Quackles posted:

Wait, what?

Fukushima

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

Russian money played a part in that decision-making process. It is no accident that Germany ended up being dependent on Russian oil.
Bribes and such? Putin played his cards well there, then.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A.o.D. posted:

Fukushima

Oh.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Same thing as getting Brexit in the UK and Russian influence over the US Republicans. Lots of money and directed espionage & compromise efforts over a prolonged period of time while western counter-intelligence failed more spectacularly than at any other point in history..

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Germany had committed heavily to Russian gas during the first SPD/Green coalition back in 1998-2005 under Schroder, when they started development of NordStream 1 and the so-called Energiewende project. While it was nominally done in the name of environmentalism, Schroder was working quite close with Russian gas companies and immediately joined them as a paid lobbyist once he retired from the chancellorship. They doubled down in 2011, and again in 2020, but it was very much part of an established national policy of subsidizing Russian gas.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Same thing as getting Brexit in the UK and Russian influence over the US Republicans. Lots of money and directed espionage & compromise efforts over a prolonged period of time while western counter-intelligence failed more spectacularly than at any other point in history..

There was a lot of legitimate soft power leveraged as well. Cheap gas. Pipeline partnerships. Preferential treatment. That kind of stuff.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

western counter-intelligence failed more spectacularly than at any other point in history..
I definitely agree with this assessment, but wonder about what might have been done better. Russian intelligence cunningly exploited the freedoms present in Western liberal democracies and I'm not entirely sure how it might have better been addressed tactically absent the political will to take the threat seriously. Russian influence was not exactly covert in many cases, it was just ignored and even made light of by a complacent politico class. Maybe intelligence agencies needed to better emphasize the threat to stakeholders? Maybe we need representatives that are more than just a slimy amalgamation of various monied interest groups?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Not really. They identified, characterized, and called out all that stuff. The political class just said fuckit I'm taking the money from this foreign agent, is all.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Uncle Enzo posted:

Not really. They identified, characterized, and called out all that stuff. The political class just said fuckit I'm taking the money from this foreign agent, is all.

Some to an absurd degree like former house rep Dana Rohrabacher. I couldn’t remember his name and googled “wiki ca rep russian” and he was the top hit. He was absurdly pro-Russian to the point of advocating for them to get Alaska back.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Not a single T-62 has popped up on Oryx so far, it's possible that the Russian armor shortage was overstated. Or fewer pics are showing up on social media now that Russians are advancing through depopulated hellscapes rather than retreating through inhabited cities.

ISW mentioned they're being deployed basically as field guns to defend static positions in the south.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Oryx might also have a bit of a backlog at this point, it's just two guys and the past two weeks have produced a lot of busted equipment.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Oryx might also have a bit of a backlog at this point, it's just two guys and the past two weeks have produced a lot of busted equipment.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1506892012670308357?t=0vBU5feQMouIgBJb7dberA&s=19

Replace first line with convoy/fortified position/frontline/trenches/...

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Speaking of Hellfires, Sweden just announced that we will send robot 17's to Ukraine, which is a costal defence version of the Hellfire, along with more AT4's and Barret 50's.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1532319741158768642

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's always interesting to see the scale on these for reference. For some reason seeing pictures of predators in the sky makes them look like some sort of hand launched toy, which of course makes no sense since they can fire two 100lb missiles.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Carth Dookie posted:

Germany and France kinda piss me off because if there's 2 countries in Europe I immediately think of as knowing in their bones what happens when a dictator with an axe to grind gets trigger happy in Europe it's them, and they have a major opportunity to demonstrate leadership and gain goodwill on the world stage and be on the right side of history this time and they just aren't taking it. It's maddening. Germany especially.

Gee weird how the two Nazi collaborator countries during WWII are dragging their feet to defend against genocide in WWIII.

Like they were run by some kind of hidden Nazis -- cryptofascists even.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Wasabi the J posted:

Gee weird how the two Nazi collaborator countries during WWII are dragging their feet to defend against genocide in WWIII.

Like they were run by some kind of hidden Nazis -- cryptofascists even.

I must have missed this - at what point was France, the nation famously invaded by Nazi Germany with blitzkrieg tactics rushing around the fixed defenses if the Maginot line, a Nazi collaborator?

Are you sure you didn't mistake them for Italy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That post made me feel like I have a concussion.