Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Only $100,000 to $150,000 to gear your character in max 5 star level 10 items and gems apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Bardeh posted:

I'll happily play for a while (on PC) without spending any money. If I can get a dozen or so hours of free fun out of it without coming up against any hard P2W walls then I'll be happy with that.

I put several hours in today and I think you'll easily meet those expectations if you have no interest in endgame. That's how I approach ARPG stuff these days. I like the dopamine fix while leveling then I just peace out.

Monetization aside (lol), my biggest complaint with this game is that it CONSTANTLY wants to interrupt its own gameplay with dialogue prompts. So far the story has been Maghda 2.0 "Oh no, this villain has outsmarted you YET AGAIN! You must follow them!"

The voice acting is good but I skip through it. There is a "codex" that constantly spams you with nearly hidden micro-achievements/rewards. They're pointless. They could completely clear themselves and give you the rewards. You spend too much time clicking through the UI instead of killing things.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 2, 2022

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
Diablo® Immortal™: Do you guys not have wallets? :smug:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'm excited to see how the pc version release goes. I still can't believe that they were planning to release it with zero ui scaling or apparently any other changes from the mobile version and they said just a couple weeks ago that the pc version would 'likely be in a beta state at release' so clearly it's a winner

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Swilo posted:

loving laffo this is as bad as I could ever imagine

My expectations were low but holy gently caress

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
are they seriously going to release a PC version of Diablo Immortal? Whatever the hell for? I mean yes because it means more rubes to extract cash from but

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
turns out not everybody has a phone

mewse
May 2, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

are they seriously going to release a PC version of Diablo Immortal? Whatever the hell for? I mean yes because it means more rubes to extract cash from but

They said ppl would emulate the android version anyway so they might as well release on PC as well

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

They said ppl would emulate the android version anyway so they might as well release on PC as well

when you put it that way I guess it makes sense

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the best part is how this shitshow will rub off on people’s perception of diablo 4

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wheeee posted:

the best part is how this shitshow will rub off on people’s perception of diablo 4

Diablo 4: now with twice the cash shop and twice the ads.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Diablo Immortal impressions: Decard Cain is alive and the Skeleton King rides a horse. I'm only level 20 but I cannot wait to see what else is in store. It's like a fever dream of Diablo III.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Wheeee posted:

If you still have hopes for D4 that’s on you(the general you). It wasn’t looking good before Diablo Immortal and this has only reinforced doubts most people had.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Xeras posted:

If you still have hopes for D4 that’s on you(the general you). It wasn’t looking good before Diablo Immortal and this has only reinforced doubts most people had.

I'm morbidly curious to see the train wreck but yeah, no loving way that's a day one buy. Even a month one buy. Need to let that poo poo settle in and see how they manage to gently caress it up.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why not. There's a lot of interest it worldwide, its expands the lore if you are into that sort of thing, and wasn't this meant primarily for the Asia market mainly?
If it was restricted to only the Asia region you would get a lot of players bitching that they can only get it working via VPN and emulators.
I'm surprised more mobile games dont have PC working versions to be honest.

poemdexter posted:

Diablo Immortal impressions: Decard Cain is alive and the Skeleton King rides a horse. I'm only level 20 but I cannot wait to see what else is in store. It's like a fever dream of Diablo III.

Its set between Diablo 2 and 3, so yeah Cain and no doubt some of the baddies will be.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

quote:

Privacy-minded gamers aren’t enthused about the insertion of facial recognition tracking in the global mobile client, either; while as Bellular explains that the feature is there to satisfy Chinese regulation, that doesn’t justify their inclusion in the West.

Couldn't comply with no lootbox laws but was able to shove facial recognition into the game. OK.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Why thanks Diablo Immortal PC, I will "tap to play" thank you sir

e. and now I've dcd twice, might try again in a week or so.

ee. PREMIUM INVENTORY

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 2, 2022

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The PC version is literally just the phone version, complete with HUGE UI, no ability to change the resolution, and tap prompts. Having said that, it's actually really fun and there's tons to do and a story to work through without spending any money. However, the microtransactions are everywhere. There's a battle pass, a premium subscription thing, and a premium currency that outside of cosmetics seems to be mostly used to buy items that power up GRifts to make it more likely you get legendary gems (which are a very strong power boost for your character).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bamhand posted:

Couldn't comply with no lootbox laws but was able to shove facial recognition into the game. OK.

What does that mean? It scans and saves your face? Apple devices will ask for permission first, I'm guessing. or is it mandatory?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Only thing they've said about it is what I quoted. The Chinese government requires it. Your guess is as good as mine as to what it's used for.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
supposedly it's to make sure that kids aren't playing more than the legal maximum number of hours of games per week

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Will be pretty funny when the PC "port" starts breaking unless you have a webcam plugged in.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Immortal PC:
- "Tap to Play" :effort:
- Clicked "create character" to finalize and it CTD'd. But my toon was saved and ready on relaunch
- Looks okay, but don't really like the camera height
- Got bored half-way into the tutorial and quit.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

This seems mostly like blizzard's answer to lost ark and i can appreciate that.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
The 10 minutes I’ve played of it was already infinitely better than lost ark so that’s fair.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Andrigaar posted:

Immortal PC:
- "Tap to Play" :effort:
- Clicked "create character" to finalize and it CTD'd. But my toon was saved and ready on relaunch
- Looks okay, but don't really like the camera height
- Got bored half-way into the tutorial and quit.

IF, and that's a huge IF, I bother to play this it's gonna be long after the beta is wrapped up. I love Diablo but don't have enough time to mess with unfinished ports.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Rinkles posted:

What does that mean? It scans and saves your face? Apple devices will ask for permission first, I'm guessing. or is it mandatory?

I just checked on Android and it definitely doesn't have access to the camera. It would have to ask first, and I'd have told it to gently caress off. Not sure what that article means

I can only se that quote on one site, and a reddit post about it ( the article) has been removed due to it being misinformation.
It did sound like something that would have had a lot of coverage if it had been the case. Rightly so.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 3, 2022

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
This is the article. It's still up. I don't know of it's veracity.
https://massivelyop.com/2022/06/02/diablo-immortal-launches-on-mobile-and-pc-today-with-hellacious-microtransactions/

Edit: some other places are saying there's some left over .dll files there but they aren't used.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 3, 2022

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, that's where I saw it. I think they have got it wrong. Oh I meant the reddit thread was taken down, not the article
As for DLLs, I don't think they are used in Android or IOS, but I'm not sure tbh

I just hope they aren't filming everyone's toilet-Diablo sessions, eesh

-e-
Looks like those dll files are in the pc client. They are in mine too, They are included as standard as part of a framework. But not used here. People have added 2+2 and came up with 69, but it would have made sense just to remove them before shipping. Gonna rename them and see what happens...

(I'm not white knighting loving Blizz here by the way lol)

-ee-
Seems to be part of the Nvidia AR SDK

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 3, 2022

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've put a good few hours into this now, around level 35 and questing in the desert area. It basically feels like a KMMO take on Diablo, with all of the scummy microtransactions that come with it. It is fun though and tickles the dopamine receptors nicely. The combat is great fun, it looks nice for what it is (but I seriously hope they spend some time on the PC version - I'm pretty sure this is just running the phone version in an emulator) and if you have some self-restraint there's plenty of game to play without spending any money.

Just...keep all of the monetisation out of D4 Blizzard. Battle Pass for cosmetics is a given, but any of this other crap in there and I won't be buying it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bardeh posted:

Just...keep all of the monetisation out of D4 Blizzard. Battle Pass for cosmetics is a given, but any of this other crap in there and I won't be buying it.

No, a loving battle pass in a game they want you to spend $70 on at launch isn't a given. Christ I hate that poo poo.

I can understand it if it's something that they're doing to keep the lights on for the online portion of an aging game. If they'd put a cosmetic battlepass into D3 a couple of years ago I wouldn't be happy, but I'd at least get why. But day 1 battlepasses can gently caress right off.

Yes I'm including the hellscape that is modern shooters in this, there's a reason I don't play them any more.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The other concern I have for Diablo 4 is that what we've seen from the gameplay makes it look like Diablo 3 with the serial numbers filed off. The Rogue gameplay vid might as well have been the Demon Hunter.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Diablo 4 isn’t going to be anything besides a game where you click on demons until they explode, if you’re looking for big gameplay innovations you’re gonna be out in the cold.

Diablo 3 managed to give us 25+ seasons of content for free, let’s all hold out hope a little longer

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
If Diablo 4 is just Diablo 3 but slightly nicer looking I'd be happy. Large maps with mounts is kinda hmmm idk and I hope it ships with necro. That's about the sum of where my thoughts are with it lol.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe it’s because I just don’t play any of the games in the genre but what I specifically want from Diablo 4 is “basically Diablo 3 but with prettier graphics and less emphasis on class set bonuses” and I’ll be thrilled if that’s all it is.

I’ve played Diablo 3 for like 3,000 hours, I’m prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe it’s because I just don’t play any of the games in the genre but what I specifically want from Diablo 4 is “basically Diablo 3 but with prettier graphics and less emphasis on class set bonuses” and I’ll be thrilled if that’s all it is.

I’ve played Diablo 3 for like 3,000 hours, I’m prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt

Pretty much the same. I'm one of those ppl who actually didn't care for PoE's art style, even now though I'll admit that the sequel looks absolutely amazing and much better. I used to play Titan Quest but I haven't gone back in a decade and while I do like Grim Dawn, it reminds me of D2 in a weird way. Like it's charming but rough. I bounce off it after a little while.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mostly what I want is a modern ARPG that doesn't have QUITE all the crunch bits rounded off like D3. I play more D2 (and titan's quest, and grim dawn) these days because I really enjoy the process of making an actual build with, like, points and poo poo rather than just grabbing abilities like you do with D3.

I agree that PoE is insane, though, that's way too complex. I tried to play it once and gently caress me, it was just too much to keep track of.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Do we all just have a surprised Pikachu face when a video game company dives headfirst into predatory monetization for the umpteenth time?

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

I don't have any confidence of D4 being a thing I want to play on release. D3's release made me quit very fast because it was unfun, the last wow expansion releases have been a bunch of stuff that is unfun and gets fixed after a year of patches and people complaining.

just seems like the best way to play blizz games now is wait until a year after release when they fix all the poo poo people call them out on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Diablo 3 managed to give us 25+ seasons of content for free, let’s all hold out hope a little longer

Maybe my standards for content are too high but lol

I feel like Diablo 3 honestly would hold up pretty well visually if it wasn't for the horribly low res textures