Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why would a user care about that? Isn't that the IT guy's problem? And he's just an expense line item so who cares if he's grumpy or electrocuted

For the upper management of companies that arent directly involved in tech their IT department is a never ending headache. Most of them will jump at the opportunity to reduce the size of that headache, especially if its presented as a way to also cut costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The S&P500 and Dow just had their best week since November 2020.

This is a classic bear market rally, just in time to continue the correction next week.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I like to keep em' spicy.

But yeah, the take here is obviously is enormously nuanced, but if you can't hire good sys admins, throwing the problem at the cloud isn't gonna make your infra good all of a sudden. You don't have to deal with the hardware - certainly a nonzero benefit - but your logical infra becomes more complicated. Your payroll looks better, but your costs per raw unit of compute go way the gently caress up, the idea being that the higher cost of compute is offset by that lower payroll, which it probably is until you hit some scale where you would benefit from a dedicated group of sys/net admins. The real costs come around the complexity and additional costs of developing around the cloud though. The classic example is designing for scale when scale doesn't exist. If you are doing things 'the way netflix does it' and aggressively split off your functionality into microservices and lambdas on AWS, but have hundreds of customers that couldn't exhaust the resources of a mid 2010s Xeon, then you have hosed up tremendously. Elastic Scaling is an awesome feature of the cloud, but scale is something you *really* don't want to solve for if you don't have to because it's ultra expensive every step of the way, from development, to deployment, to runtime.

Anyway, The Cloud can be cool. The way most orgs use it is comically incompetent. You are often trading your lovely admins and converting that headache into poorly designed and misused cloud infra.

There's also the risk that, once your cloud provider of choice has you captured into their ecosystem, they can absolutely put the screws to you pricing-wise and potentially make it hugely costly/disruptive/both for you to move to another service, right?

The loss leader / aggressive uncompetitive pricing > market share capture > price inflation pathway is not exactly an unworn one in Amazon's history as a business, for example

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

New Found Power posted:

There's also the risk that, once your cloud provider of choice has you captured into their ecosystem, they can absolutely put the screws to you pricing-wise and potentially make it hugely costly/disruptive/both for you to move to another service, right?

The loss leader / aggressive uncompetitive pricing > market share capture > price inflation pathway is not exactly an unworn one in Amazon's history as a business, for example

Cloud isn’t a loss leader for the top three two providers, they are wildly profitable. I guess you could stumble rear end backwards into utilizing services that aren’t portable to other providers making a migration harder but you won’t be making that decision because of surprise price increases. You are more likely to do it because the other one bribed you with some sweetheart private pricing temporarily but you need to be in multi millions annually before they care enough for that.

edit: lol Google still loses money on GCP somehow

Arzakon fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 28, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

edit: lol Google still loses money on GCP somehow

how the gently caress is that even possible

I have a buddy who works at Amazon on one of their services that utilizes AWS. They get billed, but they get 'at cost' billing against the project and it's at about an 85% discount. The suggestion here is that AWS is already making bonkers money, and I have no idea how GCP is loving this up.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 28, 2022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

how the gently caress is that even possible

I have a buddy who works at Amazon on one of their services that utilizes AWS. They get billed, but they get 'at cost' billing against the project and it's at about an 85% discount. The suggestion here is that AWS is already making bonkers money, and I have no idea how GCP is loving this up.

The “G” in GCP is why they’re loving it up. I’m not sure what that company is truly competent in outside of search / ads.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm slightly surprised that they're running at a kid, but I do know they're plowing a ton of money into first year start-up credits, as well as aws->GCP conversions, both in FTEs and multi hundred thousand dollar credits. Google wanted to get deep into our market and were ready to sign in blood to give us two FTE and 200k a year credits for up to 30 months to switch

Of all the side businesses that could some day compete with ad and search, GCP seems like the most likely to succeed, so wouldn't surprise me to see them light money on fire for another 5 years to make sure it's a long term success. Unrelated: having used both, when dealing with regulators (i.e. beginning a bona fide business), I deeply prefer GCPs security model

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Fireside Nut posted:

I'm still learning quite a bit when it comes to trading and haven't really dealt with their situation before. What is the most likely worst case scenario for a company trying to 'maximize shareholder value' because they are in pretty big trouble? I'm trying to understand what 'generally' happens in these situations with biotechs.

Edit: SIOX is also in this situation

SESN - Worst case scenario is the company goes bankrupt and the shares are worth zero. There is risk, but I don't think that will happen. They are meeting with the FDA on July the 11th for a type B meeting regarding further Vicineum trials. What they said in the 10Q in regards to the March FDA meeting - "During the Type C meeting, the FDA agreed to a majority of the Company's proposed protocol and statistical analysis plan design elements for an additional Phase 3 clinical trial for potential resubmission of a BLA for Vicineum for the treatment of NMIBC." Also the FDA is leaning towards "randomized controlled trials." There are study results coming from China which could be used for this purpose. Looking at around 6 month to a full year for another kick at the FDA can. That said, we'll see what the July meeting brings, if they will accept the China data it could lead to a short favourable outcome.

Also to note Sesen Bio is taking in royalty payments for it's monoclonal antibody EBI-031 and all other IL-6 anti-IL-6 antagonist monoclonal antibody technology. The largest deal being with Roche for a total of $262 million if it meets all the milestones. In Jan 2022, Sesen got a $20 million payment from Roche for meeting one of the milestones. (Roche is using EBI-031 in a phase 2 clinical trial now) Sesen Bio also has royalty contracts with Qilu (china), MENA region, and EIP (Turkey) so there are few million coming in from there as well. So it's not like Sesen is sitting on it's hands right now.

With a nice sum of cash on the books of $169 million & no outstanding debt, I've got a rough book value of .70-.79/share minus the goodwill. It's possible Roche could be the company moving forward with the buyout option.

Going back to Pender Growth Fund (PTF) - bought 800 shares @$10 on Friday. Hopefully will be one of my "hold forever" investments.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

ARTPUP posted:

SESN - Worst case scenario is the company goes bankrupt and the shares are worth zero. There is risk, but I don't think that will happen. They are meeting with the FDA on July the 11th for a type B meeting regarding further Vicineum trials. What they said in the 10Q in regards to the March FDA meeting - "During the Type C meeting, the FDA agreed to a majority of the Company's proposed protocol and statistical analysis plan design elements for an additional Phase 3 clinical trial for potential resubmission of a BLA for Vicineum for the treatment of NMIBC." Also the FDA is leaning towards "randomized controlled trials." There are study results coming from China which could be used for this purpose. Looking at around 6 month to a full year for another kick at the FDA can. That said, we'll see what the July meeting brings, if they will accept the China data it could lead to a short favourable outcome.

Also to note Sesen Bio is taking in royalty payments for it's monoclonal antibody EBI-031 and all other IL-6 anti-IL-6 antagonist monoclonal antibody technology. The largest deal being with Roche for a total of $262 million if it meets all the milestones. In Jan 2022, Sesen got a $20 million payment from Roche for meeting one of the milestones. (Roche is using EBI-031 in a phase 2 clinical trial now) Sesen Bio also has royalty contracts with Qilu (china), MENA region, and EIP (Turkey) so there are few million coming in from there as well. So it's not like Sesen is sitting on it's hands right now.

With a nice sum of cash on the books of $169 million & no outstanding debt, I've got a rough book value of .70-.79/share minus the goodwill. It's possible Roche could be the company moving forward with the buyout option.

Going back to Pender Growth Fund (PTF) - bought 800 shares @$10 on Friday. Hopefully will be one of my "hold forever" investments.

Hey, thanks so much for the thoughtful answer - really helpful! I actually picked up like 500 SESN @.498 on Friday. Really appreciate the tip on this one! :tipshat:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Doccykins posted:

They're only bouncing because theyve just announced that they're buying VMWare - for what reason I have no idea because anyone doing anything with virtualization these days gets the hard bit that VMWare used to do abstracted away in Azure or AWS

Oh, my comment was just in relation to how the company stock is worth significantly more than the $30-ish it was when I worked there. There was a lot of shady financial/regulatory poo poo that got nailed, and I figured that, along with layoffs and lack of direction, was the signal of the end.

They seemed to be more interested in owning the Ducks anyway.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I've set a persistent sell limit on UONE at $20, what date do y'all think it will hit $19.99 and sputter out while I'm not looking?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Space Fish posted:

I've set a persistent sell limit on UONE at $20, what date do y'all think it will hit $19.99 and sputter out while I'm not looking?

Juneteenth is the 19th, a Sunday. Last year it popped early. So 14th?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

people here generally know I hate $DASH, so this is entertaining on a related co. From Grant’s:

“Just Hit the Bid

Burger flipping would have been more profitable. European food delivery outfit Just Eat Takeaway is looking to offload U.S. subsidiary Grubhub, which it purchased for $7.3 billion in stock last June, the Times of London reports.

The only problem: Just Eat is facing a super-sized write down on that recently acquired asset, with proceeds projected to be as little as $1.3 billion according to bankers working the deal. Just Eat, which lost some $1.2 billion on a pre-tax basis in 2021, has seen its total market capitalization shrink to $4.4 billion, with shares off 72% since the deal closed just under a year ago.

Accordingly, the Just Eat c-suite finds itself in an unenviable spot. “I’d be amazed if [the deal] does get done now because I don’t know how management can credibly stand up and go, ‘you know, we’ve paid billions of dollars for this asset and now we’re going to take a massive bath on it,’” one banker told the London Times.

Well-ventilated concerns over the ultimate viability of the outsourced food delivery model will make that messaging no easier. In a letter to investors back in fall 2019, Grubhub’s then-CEO Matt Maloney painted an un-bullish picture of his company’s future: “Extremely large delivery/logistics companies can generate slim margins, but only because of the hub and spoke efficiencies they gain at substantial scale. The point-to-point nature of our business mostly eliminates that aspect of operating leverage.” “

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't want to give away too much about my actual employer, but I'd just like to mention in re: the cloud provider discussion that "cloud" is more than just infra. My company does infra + apps and cloud apps are a different sort of story for customers. The biggest-name specialty cloud apps provider is Salesforce.com (I don't work for them) and if you're not considering them when talking about the cloud, you're not considering the whole picture.

Even very small companies leverage cloud to their advantage. Think of payroll, for example. ADT and Quickbooks have all shifted thousands of small and medium outfits to cloud and likely saved them money in the process.

This is part of why I scoffed at blanket statements about the cloud being bad and companies being better off with on prem. On prem is, in my opinion, going extinct at almost every level in most industries. Ubiquitous universal high bandwidth internet basically guaranteed it. The hardest area might be companies trying to outsource only their workloads to cloud, since running your workloads yourself but on AWS or whoever's servers is still potentially very complex, and it may be a long time before that is completely painless, if it ever is. But eventually most companies shouldn't even need to think about infra, because they'll be using only cloud apps and it'll be the cloud app providers worrying about infra for them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If you have less than a couple hundred or maybe even a thousand employees these days I don't see a need at all for an On-Premise date center.

My only caveat with the Cloud is no matter how freaking hard I try to explain this no one understand that if you lose your Azure, Azure AD, AWS, GCP, etc. credentials there's often no inherit backup in these services beyond redundancy. If someone with root or global admin logins and deletes everything there isn't anything you are able to do as would On-Premise with tape or other backup solutions.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If you have less than a couple hundred or maybe even a thousand employees these days I don't see a need at all for an On-Premise date center.

My only caveat with the Cloud is no matter how freaking hard I try to explain this no one understand that if you lose your Azure, Azure AD, AWS, GCP, etc. credentials there's often no inherit backup in these services beyond redundancy. If someone with root or global admin logins and deletes everything there isn't anything you are able to do as would On-Premise with tape or other backup solutions.

If someone is shoving out money for a cloud license, what’s the big deal about another 10k or 20k to backup your data on another service? It’s still cheaper than another FTE

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ubiquitus posted:

another service? It’s still cheaper than another FTE

We were evaluating AWS Aurora which is basically postgres with all the bells and whistles turned on, properly configured with an SLA, vs the cost of ~0.66-1.00 FTE ($150,000/yr + benefits + onboarding time/cost) and Aurora is wildly expensive, but not as expensive as a FTE

Especially if you factor in the fact that the average FTE is at a job for only 22 months, better to have all that tribal knowledge in AWS than some guy who just left your company for XYZ salesforce clone

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Ubiquitus posted:

If someone is shoving out money for a cloud license, what’s the big deal about another 10k or 20k to backup your data on another service? It’s still cheaper than another FTE

I pay Datto like 1500/mo to back up my 30 or so TB of 365 data, and another vendor for my azure servers, and I stop worrying about it. Works out just fine compared to the million or so we pay Microsoft every year.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GME expected eps: -$1.16

Actual eps: -$2.08

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

Just sell some stock to raise eps sheesh

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Fate Accomplice posted:

This is good news I tell myself as I'm surrounded with bags of poop that I'm holding.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dropping $6, bouncing $18, then resting (for now) at $1 up AH on the dreams of a videogame NFT marketplace is far from the worst case scenario for bagholders.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Net sales were $1.378 billion for the quarter, compared to $1.277 billion in the prior year’s first quarter.

Sales attributable to new and expanded brand relationships contributed to the Company's growth in the quarter.

Inventory was $917.6 million at the close of the quarter, compared to $570.9 million at the close of the prior year’s first quarter, reflecting a continued focus on improving in-stock levels in merchandise to meet increased customer demand and offset supply chain headwinds.

Ended the period with cash and cash equivalents of $1.035 billion as well as no debt other than a low-interest, unsecured term loan associated with the French government’s response to COVID-19.

Took steps to support the recent launch of a digital asset wallet to allow gamers and others to store, send, receive and use cryptocurrencies and non-fungible tokens (“NFTs”) across decentralized apps. The wallet extension will enable transactions on GameStop’s NFT marketplace upon its intended launch in the second quarter. Continued hiring individuals with experience in areas such as blockchain gaming, ecommerce and technology, and operations, including a new Chief Operating Officer with a background in retail and stores.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

12.7 million shares direct registered by retail with Computershare as well. Retail has direct registered more shares than Blackrock and Vanguard hold combined

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
down 55% this year. very based. thank you

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

12.7 million shares direct registered by retail with Computershare as well. Retail has direct registered more shares than Blackrock and Vanguard hold combined

This explains why the SEC felt the need to film that commercial with the black lady that made the apes angry.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Fate Accomplice posted:

And if history is an indicator, the stock will skyrocket today.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

And if history is an indicator, the stock will skyrocket today.

In a few hours the shareholders vote on the share count increase authorization will be announced, so who knows

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

How much of the inventory stock up was spent on NFTs

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dang, BROS recovered nicely, should've bought the dip

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I bought the BROS dip and I'm pretty happy.

Too bad I bought the JTKWY dip to cancel it out.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Democratic Pirate posted:

How much of the inventory stock up was spent on NFTs

Lol. Such a tire fire. They are burning through so much cash. I think true value should still be under 10, and they're on pace to lose 10/share every year now while they are thrashing around trying to turn themselves into an actual company.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Number being sneaky, waiting for everyone to let their guard down, become complacent with flat growth of number, then...

Rug pull!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

My friend is telling me to buy $419 SPY weeklies expiring a couple weeks from now. Any goon guidance on whether this might be an advisable decision? Tips on how to evaluate 'TA' or DD for this purchase? I'm still a noob.

This is gambling money I am ok losing, to be clear. Maybe a couple contracts so max loss around $1k.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Inner Light posted:

My friend is telling me to buy $419 SPY weeklies expiring a couple weeks from now. Any goon guidance on whether this might be an advisable decision? Tips on how to evaluate 'TA' or DD for this purchase? I'm still a noob.

This is gambling money I am ok losing, to be clear. Maybe a couple contracts so max loss around $1k.

So let's assume SPY 415 right now that's a $4 increase you are betting on (for the option to expire 0.01 in the money so at expiration if you held that long you basically lose still) you actually need to go +$1 for every $100 you spend on the option (which is why it's written as $1.00 instead of $100)

Assuming a June 10th we're looking at $350 so you need $422 on the 10th to break even. Any more is gravy. Again holding until expiration (which isn't what you want) What you actually need is for this to become more likely than it is right now so you can sell it for a higher price than you paid. This is tricky to know when to hop off, you can get into the art of "rolling" that is when it gets to $419 or $418 even you sell it and buy as a $422 for the same date for less and pocket the difference. This works excellent when you can roll more than you paid off the table and make it a free ride.

Anyway here's Tastyworks for a nice visual (profit is on the top in red / green ) (Bottom left is the ticker and options in a nice listed form) (POP Is probability of profit, that entire line is useful with your max loss and max profit and Buying Power costs)

If you are looking to reduce the price you can go closer to the money on the long and sell a short to make a spread.

You spend $205 and have a max profit of $295, this doesn't sound as fun as the unlimited but this profits a lot sooner. Both are pretty valid plays and I wouldn't scoff at either going into next week. The naked you will need to manage by rolling probably and the spread is just figuring out when to close it up (you don't close something like this for less than scratch / break even, you are deciding what the max acceptable loss is to you with a spread when you make it, or typically you do).

Final option is probably the broken wing butterfly. you could break it to the down too if you think 420 is going to be more of a resistance.

e: that butterfly was made on a different expiration whoops. Close enough for example though. Prices wont reflect real world perfectly but the cost is like $5 difference and it's moving around more than that since the market is open.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 2, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Going to take a while to absorb this, just replying now to say thanks this is very helpful for finally learning some of these important finer strategy points. Particularly around rolling options and named strategies like the butterfly.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Fate Accomplice posted:

In a few hours the shareholders vote on the share count increase authorization will be announced, so who knows

GME up ~10% today. So, yeah, business as usual for that stock.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GME to shareholders, months ago: "there are 77M shares outstanding and we're authorized to have 300M. if you vote to raise that cap to 1B, we'll consider giving you what's called a 'stock dividend.'"

cultist shareholders: "a stock dividend you say? clearly that means shorts [who never covered, despite an SEC report saying they did] will have to locate/buy X real shares for each share they've shorted and that'll cause the MOASS! EVERYONE VOTE YES. as soon as the votes are tallied they'll give us X times the shares and the price will go to the moon!"

====

GME, 3 hours ago: "thank you for voting yes to everything we wanted. if it makes sense, we'll consider a stock split at some point in the future."

cultist shareholders: "they're just saying that to keep the hedge funds on their toes! the dividend will be any minute now!"

onlookers: "did...did they just vote to allow GME to sell shares and dilute themselves without getting anything in return? if GME issues more shares, the price goes down, and any reason to split goes away."

narrator: "that's exactly what they did."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Years from now at a MBA course:

"GME is a business who's main revenue comes from selling stock... it's stock of what, the sentence in the textbook just stops there?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am skeptical SPY will be above $415 in a few weeks

Rolling options sounds cool, but any blip in market confidence (Russia gets mad, deploys nuclear bombers near front lines? North Korea decides they need more attention this week? Ultra-omicron kills <important world leader>?) could put spy at $395 and keep it there for several weeks. This is true at any time, but number seems particularly twitchy right now