Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I assume the big bucks in COBOL is by being one of the few people who understands some mission-critical legacy COBOL system.

Which is not a job you'd walk into just by knowing COBOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

teen phone cutie posted:

anyone have any stories about taking a massive paycut and feeling really good about it? I have an offer with a PA-based company and I want to leave my (horrible, bad-personality, bad remote-culture) CA-based company/team.

Hold on. As a native son of the Keystone State, I have to ask: *where* in PA?

Cause most of the state is miserable shithole.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Also where are you moving from? If you live in like, Alabama, PA might not be a downgrade geographically as a career move, but almost anywhere else would be. I had to move out of California to the Carolinas for my wife's job/career, it's effectively been career suicide for my tech career. PA is slightly better than the Carolinas but only barely (unless you're moving to Charlotte/Durham areas)

I wouldn't move to PA for a tech job unless it was in management, and even then, I'd be debating wether or not I was letting my career die on the vine

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
nono i mean i'm working remote in CA for a PA company. I was just giving reference for the salary.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How is Chicago in terms of tech careers? Is moving out to CA or Seattle still a drastically better way to start as a software dev than anything else, or not anymore?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How much money do you want to be making when you're 35

Two years in SF certainly wouldn't hurt your career, and it doesn't snow there in September. Or ever. I've only been there once but Chicago was getting uninhabitable in a tshirt by the end of August. That's something to consider

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What is the salary range like at FAANGs in their home region? Like $120k starting, $250k end of career? But that's at CA cost of living, so let's say $150k at 35 in Chicago money, why not. Is that realistic?

As for climate, I've been in Wisconsin most of my life, so that's not a problem.

And the idea was more to start out closer to home, then perhaps move if that is optimal for career purposes. Is that a bad idea/would doing that close down options in the future?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

What is the salary range like at FAANGs in their home region? Like $120k starting, $250k end of career? But that's at CA cost of living, so let's say $150k at 35 in Chicago money, why not. Is that realistic?

As for climate, I've been in Wisconsin most of my life, so that's not a problem.

And the idea was more to start out closer to home, then perhaps move if that is optimal for career purposes. Is that a bad idea/would doing that close down options in the future?

CA $150 start, $450 end of career? $500? Depends on how smart you are, what company etc. Facebook was giving $100k starting bonuses which basically zeroed out your student debt which is a big financial force multiplier

Location is starting to matter less but that's still up in the air 20+ years from now

Honestly I think working in a supercharged environment with a bunch of people at the top of their game is going to do more for your career over 10 years than working with bored middle aged developers

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

icantfindaname posted:

What is the salary range like at FAANGs in their home region? Like $120k starting, $250k end of career?

If you're talking total compensation, double those numbers as a starting point.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jabor posted:

If you're talking total compensation, double those numbers as a starting point.

Yeah lol I just saw the $250 number

That's what an underperforming SF senior engineer is making at about 50% of startups these days

Literally seen street parked ferraris in Palo Alto, I can point you at several yacht racing hobbyists

We're not even talking eng management, these are just engineers

whoops wrong thread

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 30, 2022

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hadlock posted:

Yeah lol I just saw the $250 number

That's what an underperforming SF senior engineer is making at about 50% of startups these days

Literally seen street parked ferraris in Palo Alto, I can point you at several yacht racing hobbyists

We're not even talking eng management, these are just engineers

whoops wrong thread

The reason they have Ferraris is because they can’t afford housing. Everyone has a late model car, all the new toys, and lives in a closet in a garage.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ok housing is expensive but it's not that crazy. at the top of the real estate market, october 2015, i was making entry level salary and had a 1 bedroom 700 sq ft apartment in nob hill (with no view) to myself for ~$3100/mo still had plenty left over to go on a european vacation, go on a lot of first dates, cover cross-country moving expenses, buy a new leather couch. by the next summer people in my building were paying $2800 for a larger 1 bedroom with an actual view and it hasn't changed much since then

$300k/yr salary will buy you an entire house in SF proper, out in the boonies, but you need to have 20% to put down. 1 bedroom condos can be had with a 200k salary no problem

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

1 bedroom 700 sq ft apartment in nob hill (with no view) to myself for ~$3100/mo

I hope you understand just how insanely, unreasonably small that is for that price. My mortgage/property taxes on a 1600 ft house on 2 acres of property is less than that and I live in a very expensive state. 1k of my housing expenses are property taxes because NJ is ridiculous.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SF rent is offset by long term gains :shrug:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 1, 2022

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Absolutely none of that “look how rich I am” post addresses the fact that the price you were paying was insane by any reasonable standard.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That post is amazing.

A 700 sq foot 1br with no view in the middle of a crazy loud city for $3100. In 2015. I'm certain it's significantly higher now.

I am renting a gorgeous two story house in the woods Connecticut 30 minutes outside of New Haven for probably half of what that 1br would cost now

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rents in San Francisco are insane and have been for a while, but tech major salaries generally mean that you come out ahead. Whether that tradeoff is worth it is a personal matter, but don't act like you have to be crazy to sign up for it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If I was young and unattached I would absolutely do the crazy 1bd thing in a loud crazy city. I kind of regret not ever doing it. But I don't regret buying a house at 22 for under $200k since I'm now a paper millionaire thanks to exceptionally bad housing policy.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

yeah yeah you're all rich and boujie that's great, really happy for u

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

No I'm not rich, my point was that you can have a great housing situation for not much money if you don't live in a major city, and considering the remote work trend in tech, you no longer have to. Highly advisable

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

pull up, thread! pull up!!!

asur
Dec 28, 2012

fawning deference posted:

No I'm not rich, my point was that you can have a great housing situation for not much money if you don't live in a major city, and considering the remote work trend in tech, you no longer have to. Highly advisable

Just because you don't want to live in a city doesn't mean the rest of us don't.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There are pros and cons to both

Some important pre pandemic points for cities

Much larger, deeper, higher quality dating pool
Even in medium size cities you can mostly give up using a car for daily errands (keep the car for trips tho)
Number of social activities higher
Typically younger, more liberal population, more traveled
Typically much better educated. Since I moved out of the city the only person I've met with a PhD was an actual doctor at the hospital
Professional network easier to grow. You aren't going to go to a free beer and pizza tech talk after work and trade business cards at a rodeo or dirt track race

Can you "fix" some of these problems living in the country with starlink, WFH and technology? Probably, lot of work

Of all these I have to say my dating life changed a lot moving to the city. Like, zero to 100 a lot. Most every girl I talked to had a master's of something, or were running their own business start up. You're not going to see that very often in rural Iowa. They had stuff going on they weren't just looking to get their Mrs. Degree

As the other guy mentioned, it's a lot harder to move to the city when you're old and established. It's also really hard to go from 2 acres and 3000 sq ft mcmansion with garage to a 1200 sq ft 2/2 apartment and street parking

I'm in the suburbs now with a toddler, but I really miss living in the city, downtown especially, walking to get groceries. I can still walk to the corner store five blocks away and they have milk and bread and fruit (and beer) but still have to get in the car once a week to stock up on meat, tortillas, etc but it's not the same

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 1, 2022

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

asur posted:

Just because you don't want to live in a city doesn't mean the rest of us don't.

Never said that either. I lived in Brooklyn and LA for 12 years total. Cities are great too. Just not what I want now.

I was making a statement purely about housing costs.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

extremely grateful that ive never gone to a free beer and pizza tech talk to meet the kind of psychos who cant talk to anyone without a graduate degree or brag online about shipping racing yachts across the country

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

extremely grateful that ive never gone to a free beer and pizza tech talk to meet the kind of psychos who cant talk to anyone without a graduate degree or brag online about shipping racing yachts across the country

don't forget having sex with 100 women who all have master degrees or own businesses

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

"pre-pandemic" is doing a ton of heavy lifting there lmao

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Hadlock posted:

There are pros and cons to both

Some important pre pandemic points for cities

Much larger, deeper, higher quality dating pool
Even in medium size cities you can mostly give up using a car for daily errands (keep the car for trips tho)
Number of social activities higher
Typically younger, more liberal population, more traveled
Typically much better educated. Since I moved out of the city the only person I've met with a PhD was an actual doctor at the hospital
Professional network easier to grow. You aren't going to go to a free beer and pizza tech talk after work and trade business cards at a rodeo or dirt track race

Can you "fix" some of these problems living in the country with starlink, WFH and technology? Probably, lot of work

Of all these I have to say my dating life changed a lot moving to the city. Like, zero to 100 a lot. Most every girl I talked to had a master's of something, or were running their own business start up. You're not going to see that very often in rural Iowa. They had stuff going on they weren't just looking to get their Mrs. Degree

As the other guy mentioned, it's a lot harder to move to the city when you're old and established. It's also really hard to go from 2 acres and 3000 sq ft mcmansion with garage to a 1200 sq ft 2/2 apartment and street parking

I'm in the suburbs now with a toddler, but I really miss living in the city, downtown especially, walking to get groceries. I can still walk to the corner store five blocks away and they have milk and bread and fruit (and beer) but still have to get in the car once a week to stock up on meat, tortillas, etc but it's not the same

Don't you guys have like 50 decent sized cities in the US though? It's not like you have a binary choice between living in SF/NYC or living in the boonies.

Your fixation on degrees is kinda weird. My wife only has her bachelors and I dropped out. We mostly communicate in grunts and shrieks while grooming the lice off one another.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lol 0 to 100 was meant to imply acceleration, not number of partners

prom candy" postl="523866990 posted:

Don't you guys have like 50 decent sized cities in the US though? It's not like you have a binary choice between living in SF/NYC or living in the boonies.

Your fixation on degrees is kinda weird. My wife only has her bachelors and I dropped out. We mostly communicate in grunts and shrieks while grooming the lice off one another.

Yeah there's like 150 cities over 100,000 people. Last I checked, Orlando, home of Disney World, is like 220,000 people. In western states it's like 2-3 good cities per state. Eastern states have a bunch of well developed smaller cities with functional downtown because they predate cars

I'm mostly using degree as a proxy for intelligence. Moving from Dallas to SF was very eye opening. I went from being the smartest person in the room to, often the dumbest and least experienced person, was very humbling. The end result was great conversation, great inflow of new ideas etc

I live in a city surrounded by a very rural area and we're about a 2 hour drive from the next nearest city + I-95 there are smart people here but the density is a lot lot lower here. I would probably feel less isolated here if more knowledge workers lived in this city. I don't get much out of arguing with people about conservative talk radio talking points

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

also on a subject change, I ended up taking the job with a big pay cut but had a phone screen today with a company i've been thirsting over for a while and (thinking I was smart), told the recruiter that I had an offer in my hand as a way to fast-track the interview process.

it ended up backfiring and the recruiter was basically like "well......don't wait on us. If you have an offer, take that." :doh:

and now I'm waiting for the inevitable rejection email. live and learn.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

prom candy posted:

what's it like running a hot dog shack in reform, alabama?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I'm mostly using degree as a proxy for intelligence. Moving from Dallas to SF was very eye opening. I went from being the smartest person in the room to, often the dumbest and least experienced person, was very humbling. The end result was great conversation, great inflow of new ideas etc

I live in a city surrounded by a very rural area and we're about a 2 hour drive from the next nearest city + I-95 there are smart people here but the density is a lot lot lower here. I would probably feel less isolated here if more knowledge workers lived in this city. I don't get much out of arguing with people about conservative talk radio talking points

drat I'm sorry you have to go through this my dude, that sucks. Do you know any teams at google that are hiring?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Smugworth posted:

drat I'm sorry you have to go through this my dude, that sucks. Do you know any teams at google that are hiring?

I don't even know if Google does business in my backwater state

GCP is always hiring implementation engineers if you're absolutely desperate

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Smugworth posted:

what's it like running a hot dog shack in reform, alabama?

God I wish. I live in Canada so my options are Toronto, Vancouver, or learning French.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

teen phone cutie posted:

also on a subject change, I ended up taking the job with a big pay cut but had a phone screen today with a company i've been thirsting over for a while and (thinking I was smart), told the recruiter that I had an offer in my hand as a way to fast-track the interview process.

it ended up backfiring and the recruiter was basically like "well......don't wait on us. If you have an offer, take that." :doh:

and now I'm waiting for the inevitable rejection email. live and learn.

That's kinda weird and probably means they weren't very serious about hiring externally.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

rejection email came in lol.

yeah i don't really get it either. i specifically told the recruiter i had a lot of interest in this company and really wanted to continue the interview process whether they chose to fast-track me or not.

the dumb thing is that they have new roles up a lot and i'm just going to keep applying for them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
They already knew which internal person/contractor/nephew/H1B candidate they wanted to hire and were just going through the motions.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Lockback posted:

They already knew which internal person/contractor/nephew/H1B candidate they wanted to hire and were just going through the motions.

It's not like they have a choice. They're required to go through the motions.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Another "what not to do when interviewing" tip: Don't lie. It's common sense, but you'd be surprised how often it happens.

Received a CV from my boss, from a recruiter.

CV had the following bullet points:
"- Proficiency in using Docker Hub, Docker Engine, Docker images, Docker Weave, Docker Compose, Docker Swarm, and Docker Registry and used containerization to make applications platform when moved into different environments. Proficient in creating Docker images using Docker File, worked on Docker container snapshots, removing images, and managing Docker volumes and implemented Docker automation solution
for CI/CD model.
- Used Kubernetes to orchestrate the deployment, scaling and management of Docker Containers."

Shaky English is a bad sign, but it happens. (tip #2: proofread. If you're not a strong writer or you're not very proficient in the language you're interviewing in, get a native speaker to proofread for you). I'm not going to pass on a candidate just for having a poorly written CV, but it will absolutely impact my decision if I'm on the fence.

I started the interview off by asking my standard opener when someone says they have container experience:

"Tell me about the last application you containerized and what challenges you encountered." This is usually an interesting conversation about microservice architectural challenges (especially greenfield vs brownfield), orchestration, best practices, the horrors of Windows containers, etc.

What I got in this case was an explanation of containers and a sales pitch for when to use them. Not what I was looking for.

"Excuse me, sorry to interrupt, could you tell me about your experiences working with containers?"

That got me closer... I started to get a vague description of things the team he worked on had done with containers.

At this point, I already knew the answer to my next question, and you do too:

"Have you ever worked with containers?"

I did not receive a clear answer and I could tell he was hoping I'd drop it and move on. I interrupted him with, "This is a yes or no question. Please answer it in a single word."

"...no."

"Okay. One more, yes or no: Have you, personally, ever worked with Kubernetes?"

"...no."

I wrapped the interview up shortly after that. Less than 5 minutes. Fastest one I've done. The recruiter received some, uh, candid feedback about how they could improve their screening process.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, he had a link to a "blog" that looked like one of those sites that shows up in Google results on the second or third page that just has been SEO optimized to hit on every conceivable tech keyword but contains no real content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Though this doesn't sound like the case this time, often worth clarifying whether or not the person actually wrote that part of their CV.

I once had an interview that seemed very strange and I pointed out that I didn't have any experience with anything I was being asked about and that it wasn't anywhere on my resume.

Turns out it was: the recruiter had doctored my resume and the guy interviewing me had printed it out. I showed him what I sent the recruiter on my phone, it was pretty funny.