Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My dumb brain has never understood the appeal of giant bipedal robots fighting each other. I don't know why.
Okay but what about giant animal robots? That's right, I'm talking about ZOIDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OlKAQhr9aU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

wait until you hear the original song before they put it through this lovely low pass filter

Dipshit

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

This rules, thanks for sharing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Julias posted:

di-bison supremacy

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

made the macross 82-99 version of this post, hope you like it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Julias posted:

I've watched like two Zoids series (the one with the timeskip and the one with the white Liger zoid) and I suppose I'd watch another, do they have any on Crunchyroll?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i appreciate all the future funk producers bringing notice to the music they sampled so i can easily listen to it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dogsicle posted:

i appreciate all the future funk producers bringing notice to the music they sampled so i can easily listen to it
too bad macross 82-99 never credits any of them

marumaru
May 20, 2013

can't believe forums poster homeless snail doesn't like the music i like. heartbreaking honestly

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

marumaru posted:

can't believe forums poster homeless snail doesn't like the music i like. heartbreaking honestly
have a good song instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqBUTHdZa-Q

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Macross 0 is very pretty, very poorly written, and basically adds nothing of lasting value to the series. The Frontier movies have a lot of callbacks to things that happened in earlier shows, but other than understanding why the rest of the audience is suddenly popping off about a one liner or a music set, they arn't required to enjoy the show.

I'm going to miss the second movie because Demondice's concert starts at the exact same time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

frontier weirdly goes out of it's way to make zero seem consequential, they made sheryl mao nome's granddaughter and mao responsible for some of the inciting poo poo of frontier and by extension delta. just, none of that stuff happens in zero itself and it really doesn't matter that it was mao that did it, and also the thing she did like a 20 second flashback that I don't think made it to the movie version

also the episode of frontier where they're making the movie based on the events of macross zero, which I love and is a lot of fun but requires no knowledge of zero other than making it funnier when they reenact stuff

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 2, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

too bad macross 82-99 never credits any of them

yeah it's definitely something this one guy does and not what every dj has done in history lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't know what you have against future funk or marcross but it seems like you're blaming one guy for ... literally the entire history of sampling in music lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

usually samples tend to be less than "the entire loving song"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah it's pretty much exactly how house music works, which future funk is a subset of. or, you know, the blues and almost every descending style because it's all about your interpretation of ancient rear end songs. in fact the entire idea of credits and music rights is super recent.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 2, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah yeah those are all the exact same thing as dragging an entire city pop mp3 into fruity loops, making no edits to it, and then clicking bitcrush. very interpretative

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

yeah yeah those are all the exact same thing as dragging an entire city pop mp3 into fruity loops, making no edits to it, and then clicking bitcrush. very interpretative

it literally is

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I still think Robotech was better.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pentyne posted:

I still think Robotech was better.
can't agree but the macross part of robotech is, pretty much the same show as SDF really with a lot of really dumb edits to connect it to the southern cross/mospeada parts, and also maybe some positive changes to paper over the, less good parts of SDF. robotech is a lot kinder to hayase and minmay, for one. i think, on balance, its worse but it got off easy compared to a lot of anime on US tv at the time. at least, robotech and macross watchers can have mutually intelligible conversations about them because, the same things happen in both of them

but they don't call the alien space ship rear end-1 in robotech. big misstep imo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Cannibal Crossing is kicking my rear end

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why didn't I play Fire Emblem Awakening years ago?

Oh, right, I didn't have a 3DS.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macross Plus is like the fourth best anime ever made and maybe second best soundtrack.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My dumb brain has never understood the appeal of giant bipedal robots fighting each other. I don't know why.
it's cool

Julias posted:

it will never not blow my mind that zoids chaotic century and new century were made in 1999-2001 and had cgi that looked THAT GOOD, while we've only just started having consistently decent cgi in anime in the last few years(besides GITS I guess)

postin' gifs now

this loving sequence was insane to me as a kid. look at this gif. look at the weight exhibited, where the thrown zoid lands and catches itself, then repositions and moves its gun emplacement forward to fire, all within the span of like a second and a half. giving these giant robots a real sense of heft to them, and no weird clipping or anything like what often happens with cgi shows.

more gifs

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Liger Zero is cool

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
1andonlykys|tumblr

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Doing god's work

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
New Century is my most re-watched show due to sweet battle animations.

Also pains me every time the Gundam franchise gets a new game on PS4/PS5, while Zoids IP has a...terrible Xbox 360 game as its last entry (from memory). God dammit I just want some sweet 4v4 Zoids FPS mech action on a large-scale map.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jomo posted:

New Century is my most re-watched show due to sweet battle animations.

Also pains me every time the Gundam franchise gets a new game on PS4/PS5, while Zoids IP has a...terrible Xbox 360 game as its last entry (from memory). God dammit I just want some sweet 4v4 Zoids FPS mech action on a large-scale map.

There's a Zoids Wild game for Switch.

But uh, it's Zoids Wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ootqwO0kbM

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Zoids Wild Zero (no relation to Zoids Wild, story-wise) appears to have the same creative team as Chaotic Century, so I'm interested in giving it a shot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Put Zoids in SRW.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Put Zoids in SRW.

Done.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Put Zoids in Gundamwatch

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Put Transformers in Gundams in Zoids

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ty

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Colonel posted:

nobody in history has started with macross zero
i technically started with Plus, since it was available at Blockbuster in Oklahoma in 1998, but i got into macross in earnest when Zero came out, then watched SDF then Froniter came out shortly after

zero is the dumbest place to start. as with most things, watch in release order!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
drat. am i too late for the future funk/macross 82-99 slap fight? i flew out to see him in big LA future funk show last november right before omnicron hit. sick show. psyched for the next one in LA (and the one just announced for denver a few weeks later lol)

whatever you think about future funk and some failures to credit artists esp. early on, the original artists are all getting PAID off the resurgence in interest in city pop.

night tempo especially has been working with original artists/labels for years now, and is an old weeb too, so hes been a hardcore fan since he was a kid in the 80s/90s. i got to talk to him for a bit after he played a set at a record store in Hannam and the dude is an encyclopedia of showa japanese pop culture.

hell, plastic love got a music video ~35 years later, tomoko aran probably bought a house off Out of Time alone, and dozens of artists have vinyl re-releases that are getting scooped up.

i think i have a picture of me and night tempo in hannam (and a picture from when he showed up at the downtown LA Denny’s after the november 2021 show) but i don’t want to get zoomed in the chat thread

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

it's cool

it will never not blow my mind that zoids chaotic century and new century were made in 1999-2001 and had cgi that looked THAT GOOD, while we've only just started having consistently decent cgi in anime in the last few years(besides GITS I guess)

postin' gifs now

this loving sequence was insane to me as a kid. look at this gif. look at the weight exhibited, where the thrown zoid lands and catches itself, then repositions and moves its gun emplacement forward to fire, all within the span of like a second and a half. giving these giant robots a real sense of heft to them, and no weird clipping or anything like what often happens with cgi shows.

more gifs

I think granted, it is a lot easier to make literal toys look good in CGI than humans and poo poo. That's why they did Toy Story.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Now put Zoids in a non-gacha SRW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Supremezero posted:

Now put Zoids in a non-gacha SRW.

Genesis is in K, which is a perfectly playable SRW even if it's rough in spots.

If you want CC and NC0, those are in OE alongside Genesis but OE isn't great.