Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Around 2008-2010 I lived with two friends in an apartment and our landlord was running some tax scam through us by claiming our unit as her primary residence, so all kinds of official notices/mail would show up. She owned a bunch of the condos in that building and we had huge stacks of mail piled around that she never claimed. We moved out before anything came of it but I always wondered what exactly the deal was and if she was overleveraged or something.

if you're not intentionally destroying the house you rent so that your rent money goes solely to fixing the things you're damaging, you're missing out. i would have been burning those letters in late night effigy rituals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

my landlord sucks but also hasn’t raised the rent since summer 2020, and when I asked the other day to give me an estimate of an increase so I know what my price range is gonna be in searching for a new place, they said they’re not planning any increase unless I really want. idgi

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

i am harry posted:

if you're not intentionally destroying the house you rent so that your rent money goes solely to fixing the things you're damaging, you're missing out. i would have been burning those letters in late night effigy rituals.
it was a simpler time, i paid $550 a month for my own bedroom barely a mile from the beach

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My first apartment was half a duplex (the other half was rented out too) and I had to pay my rent by check made out to (and delivered to) the State Farm branch/franchise/whatever our landlord owned. At the time i just thought it was How Things Were but now that seems somewhat sus.

Now i have an apartment in a big complex owned by a management firm 800 miles away and pay online

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i zelle my roommate a grand a month, he's probably safe from the IRS sending him a random 1099

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I don't remember how I paid rent at my first apartment, but I do remember how they gave me a 14-day notice because they thought my cat had destroyed the apartment. they gave me my full security deposit back, as they should have, because he didn't do poo poo. then they harassed me and signed me up for all those old CD clubs, magazine subscriptions, and "free info" for credit cards and insurance and all kinds of poo poo at my new address. you know, mail fraud

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
my first apt was a 2 room (no living room, just 2 bedrooms, and a kitchen/bathroom) i split with someone at 400 bucks a month each until my roof caved in. this was like 2007-2013

i now pay 1800 in an area that costs 2600 for a 2br.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
ah, apartments. Lived in a 1-bedroom but huge (1200 SF?) attic apartment with my girlfriend in college, it was around $500 a month that we split. The building started accepting section 8 housing, then was sold to a slumlord company that didn't do poo poo, and we ended up basically fleeing the apartment after our 1st-floor neighbor, who we knew to be a sex worker who used hard drugs (but we never had any problems with her; the crackhead who lived between us and would periodically scream for an hour at 3am was more worrying) told us the building had gotten "too dangerous" for her and asked us to drive her across town with all her belongings in 2 black plastic garbage bags at like 11PM one night. We were pretty :staredog: and she led me into parts of Buffalo I had never seen on the way to her cousin's (and I used to go to places other college kids thought were "bad" or "too dangerous" to get cheap weed pretty often). Anyway this rattled us so we hit the bricks, moved out and just never paid the last month's rent, told them to keep the deposit. They threatened legal action, and I told them sure do it and they never did.

So, 2005, we got a nice 2 bedroom in a much less sketchy area, $595/mo, maybe 900-1000SF, basement space, allowed pets. Just based on inflation that $595 would be $880 now, but Buffalo has undergone a "renaissance".

There's a ton of similar houses in that area which were converted into similar units at around the same time, and they are all $1200+, ex
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/apa/d/buffalo-available-upper-june-1st/7490299294.html

that one is comparable to what we had (basement space, parking) but we also had attic space and a working fireplace. Man, I had a lot of happy saturdays, snowed in while my girlfriend was working, off my tits on MDMA, petting cats and staring into the fire..... :allears: now I am getting nostalgic

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I paid 550 a month for smelly one bedroom across the hall from a world war 2 vet without any teeth (claimed they'd been kicked in by nazis). He used to keep a luger in his front pocket and according to his car was a HUGE Ben Carson fan.

He started having auditory hallucinations, he thought that I was practicing drums or something in my apartment at 2am so he'd turn off his hearing aide and put on incredibly loud pop radio, waking all four tenants. This happened maybe four or five times before the landlord ended up calling his son and trying to figure out another situation for him. It was... unnerving.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

External Organs posted:

a HUGE Ben Carson fan.

i mean it’s hard not to love the guy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Anyone who gets their core policy proposal from mewtwo is good in my book.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

projecthalaxy posted:

Wait, wasn't that Herman Cain (rip)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

External Organs posted:

Wait, wasn't that Herman Cain (rip)

yes lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

well. this is "not a good look".

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

my cheapest rent was a 4 bed 2 bath in montana with a garage and (shared) yard for $895/month TOTAL

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/taylorfor20th/status/1531718663526653952

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Sounds like the Biden-Harris administration got you affordable access to housing you should thank them

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i’d just like to thank joe biden and jpow and the crew for the fact i will rent forever

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It will be cool when the bubble pops and my houses' entirely bullshit value goes away like the fever dream it is.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I don't get it, is that OJ?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I'm closing on a mobile home in some land in the sticks. Gonna remote work a save on rent while living my dream life. Had issues because apparently nobody will finance a home that's too small, and ended up with over 6% Apr.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I had a $550 apartment in an absolutely terrible part of Houston where I couldn't order delivery at night and there were murders happening in the complex across the street. I had a terrible bug problem despite being relatively clean and then one day before I moved I heard a ton of commotion above me and looked out to see guys in to those hazmat type outfits taking out bag after bag of who knows what from the unit above me

:barf:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

For some reason listings for the billionaire luxury condos in NYC pencil skyscrapers are visible on Zillow. Assumed they'd have some exclusive listing service but guess not:

Trying to sell your condo for 100+ million dollars over half a year without any takers seems bad.

That building is reportedly a nightmare to live in too.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i'll live in it. i'll take that bullet.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

For some reason listings for the billionaire luxury condos in NYC pencil skyscrapers are visible on Zillow. Assumed they'd have some exclusive listing service but guess not:

there are exclusive services for super high end apartments but those buildings are loving awful and even rich idiots don’t want to waste their money on living there, so they’re publicly listing out of desperation

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

here’s an article about the exact building those listings are from

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/03/realestate/luxury-high-rise-432-park.html

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

Trying to sell your condo for 100+ million dollars over half a year without any takers seems bad.

That building is reportedly a nightmare to live in too.

these are investment scam opportunities for ukrainian dirt magnates that just take the form of blade runner condos

if you wanna see the real poo poo go to sotheby's and check out all their price upon request listings

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bro Dad posted:

these are investment scam opportunities for ukrainian dirt magnates that just take the form of blade runner condos

if you wanna see the real poo poo go to sotheby's and check out all their price upon request listings

that is correct. its purely various forms of money laundering, wealth off-shoring, speculative asset line items that are never visited, and various permutations of the two.

no one is actually going to live in a lovely nyc condo like that, they aren't made to be lived in except only the dumbest of rubes

rich people are doing this like this https://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/int/historic-lstyle and buying 12 bdr penthouses on the water of lake coumo or a spanish island and poo poo.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

there are exclusive services for super high end apartments but those buildings are loving awful and even rich idiots don’t want to waste their money on living there, so they’re publicly listing out of desperation

Good, as long as they're desperate. Those Zillow listings tell a story at least.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I remember reading about how big mansions and stuff for the super wealthy are difficult to sell because they're all custom jobs so you not only have to find someone with 8 figs to drop on a dream home but one of those that wants to drop 8 figs on your dream. Like Carmelo Anthony spent years trying to sell his house in the Hamptons because people who wanted a $30m mansion in the Hamptons didn't want half of it to be a gym and weight room.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Schmeichy posted:

I'm closing on a mobile home in some land in the sticks. Gonna remote work a save on rent while living my dream life. Had issues because apparently nobody will finance a home that's too small, and ended up with over 6% Apr.

i got rejected for a mobile home loan because of my student loans :c00l:

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Rauros posted:

I'm sorry friend

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oi mate, nondischargeable debt nicked me mobile

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Rauros posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

enjoy 20 cop visits a month bc there arent any rv parks left that allow people under 55 years of age (yes! this is a valid discrimination end run!)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jonny 290 posted:

enjoy 20 cop visits a month bc there arent any rv parks left that allow people under 55 years of age (yes! this is a valid discrimination end run!)

Yeah. RV parks can get pretty expensive too. They were around $800/mo locally when I went down this rabbit hole a few years ago. Gotta be getting nuts now.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah. RV parks can get pretty expensive too. They were around $800/mo locally when I went down this rabbit hole a few years ago. Gotta be getting nuts now.

Just pay the 5 bucks or whatever to get on the turnpike and then boom free rent for life at all the rest stops.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rauros posted:

try a different lender if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The place where I used to work almost 20 years ago is still probably 10 bucks a night because it was government run and that's what it's been forever. Most of the regulars pay half price if they're old/disabled enough. Only think keeping people living there full time is that there's a 2 week limit in the summer, and some of them still manage it in the places where there's a couple campgrounds close together they can bounce between.