Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Labor has a (slim) majority government, Chris Bowen is the energy minister. Labor deliberately designed climate policies to skip over the crossbench (SMH).

Rowe:

‘Serious economic challenges’: Treasurer Jim Chalmers blames previous government for financial failings (news.com.au)

Dyson:

A majority in the House of Representatives is 76 seats or more, Labor has 77.

Wilcox:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Tanya Plibersek who was shadow education minister has instead been given the environment ministry so some political commentators are calling this a "demotion" because surely the environment won't be a critical area in this term of government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Victar posted:

No one called riots "peaceful protests". They explicitly said that 93% of BLM demonstrations were peaceful. Yes, that means 7% of the demonstrations turned violent but stating the facts is not loving gaslighting. Or did you mean the violent and deadly January 6, 2021 attempt at an insurrection? The January 6 event that the Republican Party labeled "legitimate political discourse"? Of course you didn't.
Also even using his own logic, in what world is mislabeling as a riot a peaceful protest "glorifying violence"? It's downplaying violence if it's doing anything. Glorifying violence would be like "hell yeah it was a violent riot, and it ruled, keep rioting". This is trying to ignore the violence even at most, there's no way you can spin that as "glorifying".

That's not even touching the fact that Republicans loving love glorifying violence, in almost every form, at all times, forever.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Lalo Alcaraz

Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Steve Breen

Matt Davies

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

😬

Walt Handelsman

Phil Hands

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Michael Ramirez

Rob Rogers

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Matt Wuerker

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

We need a collection of these weirdly misdirected "witch hunt" toons, I recall a whole series of them over the years.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Speaking of, didn't planting the magic beans ultimately make Jack rich vis a vis giant slaying?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Now, now! Never let the actual story get in the way of a conservative cartoonists bad metaphor!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Wow, stuff happens!" Cartoon
Kellies Nomination: Worst Cartoon That Could've Been Published 20 Years Ago

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ajkalan posted:

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Wow, stuff happens!" Cartoon

Maybe some sort of "fear of modernity" category?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

This man is an obelisk

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

ajkalan posted:

Or even 44 years ago.

https://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/1978/09/03

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh look, another Kellies Nomination: Worst Cartoon That Could've Been Published 20 Years Ago.

It's not wrong, it's just been a cliche for decades.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men," a podcast about comics, sometimes does off-topic episodes for one reason or another. This week's is about their mutual affection for "Doonesbury," especially the really early pre-hiatus strips, if that sounds like something you'd enjoy for an hour.

https://podbay.fm/p/jay-and-miles-x-plain-the-x-men/e/1653863385

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Again, the beans turned out to indeed be magical and ultimately solved all the problems.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

:iceburn:

quote:

:what: What the hell?

quote:

There is no way I can roll my eyes fast enough to convey how bullshit this take is.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Video games are to blame, clearly. Every time. Despite not being the only country with video games. Or video games not being particularly violent anymore.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I simply put all those ingredients into a pot, stirred it for 30 minutes over a medium heat, and an AR-15 with six clips materialised in my hand! Amazing recipe!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe some sort of "fear of modernity" category?

worst Back In My Day :argh: cartoon

Stiglich is goddamned pathetic. Has he always been this bad? It feels recent. Look at that "no clue" button, it's as bad as Branco's empty thought bubble but somehow the art makes it worse

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The USA is a direct byproduct of guns. If we don't keep shooting guns all the time then the country will disappear. Except Alaska and Hawaii i guess

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Raised By Birds posted:

Bob Gorrell

😬

Dawn of the first day
-72 hours remain-

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Hot take straight from the year 2000.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ambitious Spider posted:

Hot take straight from the year 2000.

Well it's not like there's anything else happening in the world to comment on beyond two TV shows which premiered 15 years ago.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's a weird thing especially after years of YouTubers who ostensibly "do something" to get famous. Nothing worth doing for the most part, but you can still get well-known for doing something

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

worst Back In My Day :argh: cartoon

Stiglich is goddamned pathetic. Has he always been this bad? It feels recent. Look at that "no clue" button, it's as bad as Branco's empty thought bubble but somehow the art makes it worse

It depends on what you mean by “this bad”. He has always been a complete chud, incredibly racist towards immigrants and black people and fascistic in his demands for the police to have whatever rights they need to keep poor black people crime down.

But in terms of actually putting together his thoughts, yeah, he - like Varvel - seems to have decided that are just “non-orange man bad” and “if Biden wasn’t just destroying this country why would I be making so many cartoons where I say he is” cartoons are acceptable quality and substance.

And maybe it’s because I’ve never been a watcher of The Office, but this one seems just more incomprehensible than most of his recent ones.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kikas posted:

There is no way I can roll my eyes fast enough to convey how bullshit this take is.

I actually missed that it was Summers and thought it was a sorta-clever AGC at first: it's the main ingredients that make it a stew, and it doesn't matter how much you hype up the spices, there's still a stew if you take those away. Uncle Sam trying to avoid the topic of what the meat and potatoes of gun violence is will not accomplish anything.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 2, 2022

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

"These kids today have done nothing noteworthy or valuable to society to warrant them getting fame, and certainly don't deserve to be paid to keep doing it!" - A political cartoonist

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I'm a little late but can someone explain the guy in the Hug Me shirt?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Korthal posted:

That's Peter Dutton, the Liberal opposition leader who is trying to show he has a kinder gentler side which is a concept that even Leak took the piss out of.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

It's a weird thing especially after years of YouTubers who ostensibly "do something" to get famous. Nothing worth doing for the most part, but you can still get well-known for doing something

This lovely complaint dates even back to bloody royalty, since they do nothing but get born into a household and get famous. Super vapid complaint.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Man whole lot of old man yells at cloud comics all of a sudden

Korthal posted:

Merely being large and powerful isn't enough for simple Yeti to strike fear into the heart of men anymore (thanks video games!), now they have to add an unsettling element to get the same response

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

That makes me realize that Millennials and Gen Z possibly have the greatest percentage of self-employed people, perhaps? And that line of work isn’t easy. I’ve had fleeting interest in doing YouTube stuff again, but that coupled with living at the mercy of the algorithm and whatever reactionary whims Google has on a given day is enough to keep me far aware.

…also being talentless and boring, but that’s a minor setback.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Pants Donkey posted:

That makes me realize that Millennials and Gen Z possibly have the greatest percentage of self-employed people, perhaps? And that line of work isn’t easy. I’ve had fleeting interest in doing YouTube stuff again, but that coupled with living at the mercy of the algorithm and whatever reactionary whims Google has on a given day is enough to keep me far aware.

…also being talentless and boring, but that’s a minor setback.

If you count gig work as self employment, then definitely.

Also, yeah, being a full time youtuber or twitch streamer is no joke. On twitch especially, you lose a ton of viewership if you skip a day or two. Watching a twitch stream is a habit and if you break that habit, they'll find something new to do, and they probably won't switch back to the old habit. Taking a vacation can be a huge risk. Depending on your audience, youtube success can mean putting out multiple videos each day. Though, they've tried to shift the algorithm away from incentivising that.

And,on top of the hard work with no vacation, most likely, you aren't going to make any money to begin with. If you like making videos, do it with the expectation that you won't make any money. Making a YouTube channel as a career decision is like buying a lottery ticket as a career decision.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Giving away all of our money would fight inflation though. Inflation is caused, in part, by an excess of money.

quote:

Tom Stiglich

Good thing Biden didn't pass it!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I dont know posted:

Dawn of the first day
-72 hours with pain-

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i do like how the pushback on this lying, bullshit argument has finally crystalized around "why does this only happen in the United States, then" because there's no comeback to it. Every other country in the entire world has lovely government bureaucracies, movies, video games, tv, and mental illness. mass shootings only happen every other day here.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If you're referring to something as a pinch or a dash or a dollop in cooking, then it's a seasoning, not the main ingredients. What's the main ingredients in your GUN VIOLENCE stew, Dana? What's the main cause of GUN VIOLENCE, Dana? WHAT IS THE MAIN INGREDIENT IN YOUR GUN VIOLENCE STEW, YOU SELF-INDULGENT FECKLESS HACK?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

If you count gig work as self employment, then definitely.

Also, yeah, being a full time youtuber or twitch streamer is no joke. On twitch especially, you lose a ton of viewership if you skip a day or two. Watching a twitch stream is a habit and if you break that habit, they'll find something new to do, and they probably won't switch back to the old habit. Taking a vacation can be a huge risk. Depending on your audience, youtube success can mean putting out multiple videos each day. Though, they've tried to shift the algorithm away from incentivising that.
There was a period last fall where nobody was getting their twitch money, and even the mega-channels couldn’t get customer service to help them. Oh and then when YouTube decided to gently caress with animation channels because they had no real safeguards for kids content and decided all animation was for kids. So for like three months in 2019 every animation had a stupid warning so they wouldn’t get demonetized.

And sure you can rely on patreon, but they have their own unique bullshit. That kinda of stuff would have me anxious as hell and just shoving every dime into savings and living like a hermit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ben Garrison posted:

TRUDEAU BLOWS OFF FREEDOM

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the ‘Pride’ flag on Parliament Hill and beamed about diversity and having a happy Pride season. Meanwhile he is blowing the symbol of freedom off of the Canadian flag. His new legislation would completely freeze gun ownership in Canada. Disturbingly, his announcement was met with enthusiastic applause.

It’s another power grab by Trudeau’s tyrannical government and another step closer to the complete enslavement of Canadian citizens. You can bet Trudeau will continue to be protected by men with firearms. He won’t afford citizens that same right to self protection.

Trudeau already made it clear that he wants permanent medical tyranny, an end to free speech (and real journalism), as well as tormenting Christians and halting political protests by means of force, which also includes shutting down bank accounts of those who dare stand up against him. Trudeau seems to take great ‘pride’ in his dictatorial accomplishments. His father, Fidel Castro, would take great pride as well if he could see his son following him in his combat boot-stamping footsteps.

Trudeau’s power grab isn’t unique to Canada. His tyranny is being repeated by leaders across the western world. Australia grabbed the guns and imposed medical tyranny and so did New Zealand.

Macron, Jacinda Ardern, and even the so-called conservative Boris Johnson all play the same game.

Joe Biden would love to freeze all gun sales as well. He stupidly launched into a verbal attack on 9 mm ammunition and made it clear he knew nothing about firearms. He lied and said the 2nd Amendment was ‘not absolute.’ It is absolute, Joe and you’re not getting our guns. Fortunately we Americans have a ‘shall not be infringed’ imperative in our Bill of Rights. We will not go the way of Canada and Australia and turn in our guns.

Trudeau and the other tinpot dictators are doing the bidding of Klaus Schwab, the WEF self-appointed ‘elitist’ who wants to run the world. A colossal pervert, he wants his ‘Great Reset’ no matter how many humans it hurts. Obama and Biden share the same attitude. High gas prices and inflation? Endless war? Supply chain destruction? It’s necessary to fundamentally transform America into Schwab’s liking. He wants a green economy free of carbon. Humans are made up of carbon. Schwab wants the vast majority of us removed from his planet. Those remaining will live in pods, eat bugs, have zero privacy, and beg a global government not to kill them.

Trudeau’s tyranny is what Biden would like to see repeated in America. We all need to stand up to the tyrants! Let’s stop participating in our own demise.
Unironic “when he himself is made of carbon” lol

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Boris Johnson and the ministerial code – PM responds to ‘legitimate question’ from his ethics chief, Lord Geidt, by saying he did not break code" Also Platinum Jubilee maps show where beacons will be lit up across UK

Telegraph:

Pageants, parades and beacons at Windsor Castle: How the UK is celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee

Matt:

Airlines 'wasting' police resources after officers called to help passengers off 'abandoned' plane

Independent:

Which MPs have called for Boris Johnson to resign or face a vote?

Times:

Prince Andrew to miss Platinum Jubilee thanksgiving service with Covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Big lol at comparing leaving the weird familial gravy train (to get on the feckless celebrity gravy train) to being a nonce