Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

What am I missing here? Doesn't seem like anything particularly suspicious or interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

pokeyman posted:

What am I missing here? Doesn't seem like anything particularly suspicious or interesting.

last ditch attempt to get a headline associations of "ford + russia = bad stuff obviously"

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
The Archdiocese of St. John’s is selling off churches and properties to pay court-ordered compensation to residential school survivors. Not terribly noteworthy, but this piece of poetic justice made me chuckle.

quote:

The archdiocese doesn’t have the money. The Vatican isn’t stepping in to help. That means thousands of parishioners could soon lose the churches they thought they owned.

“I don’t understand,” said Jerome Fennelly after what may have been the last Easter mass at Portugal Cove’s Holy Rosary Church, where he’s worshipped for 62 years.

“This house, this church, the church hall, was built by the parishioners in this parish, and the Archdiocese of St. John’s can just come in here and take it and sell it? I don’t understand it at all.”

Yeah, can't imagine what swooping in and taking someone's land could possibly feel like.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My brother was riding his bike a couple weeks ago and was jumped by two men who thought he was someone that had smashed a window the night prior. They punched him, kicked him on the ground, and then stomped his front wheel for good measure, bending it.

This is the second time in his life he's been assaulted by someone who mistook him for someone else that had done property damage (or theft). The first time was when he was a teenager and a grown man hit him in the back with a metal pipe, permanently injuring his back.

gently caress anyone advocating for vigilante justice.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was briefly amused by this article on how Doug Ford broke the Star's fact checker (a storied Ford tradition going back to Daniel Dale), not by telling that many lies, but by simply not speaking and rarely making verifiable statements when he did. Horwath and Del Duca have apparently been considerably more communicative, not that anyone is likely to care about any of this.

quote:

“Content-free elections” is how Tim Abray puts it. A Queen’s University doctoral candidate studying the effects of political communication on electoral behaviour, Abray says he hasn’t seen anything quite like it, and he finds it “alarming.”

“Democracy is supposed to work on a contest of ideas,” he says. But for it to work, candidates must “provide enough information to evaluate.”

It's more of a Dollarama of ideas than a marketplace, Tim.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Every time I heard campaign updates on CBC radio it was along the lines of "Doug Ford of the Progressive Conservatives will be stopping at X and Y today and tomorrow, but will not be taking questions from the media at either event."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They learned to do that years ago and it hasn't hurt them yet.

No one voting PCPO gives a gently caress what their policy positions are or if they even have policy or positions. That is not part of their vote calculus and the party knows it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

one weird trick to winning elections and the participants are all "ah we'll get him next time"

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

flakeloaf posted:

PCPO T-Shirt: "We are definitely privatizing health care"

https://twitter.com/imgrund/status/1531668373129551872
Man, what the HELL. I'm a family doc but I order AST all the drat time - it actually makes a significant difference in hepatitis C and cirrhosis prognosis. Granted I have a lot more liver disease in my practice than a lot of doctors but I can't imagine having to refer to GI or ID - and waiting like 6 months for the consult - to get this blood test covered.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
So there's an election tomorrow. Anecdotal I know, both my parents voted Trudeau last federal election. Visited them and they said it's pretty obvious who to vote for this time, I said yeah and then was surprised when they said Ford. Don't think my mom has ever voted conservative. "Don't trust that slimy De Luca guy" something like that. Which is good because I haven't been paying attention enough to form any opinion of him. I'm going NDP this time around, not that it really matters in renfrew county.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
There's an election tomorrow? Has anyone told the ONDP?

But seriously, did your mom express why she feels Ford is the obvious choice over say an ONDP candidate, assuming one exists in her riding?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

in before "he tells it like it is"

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

e: ^^^ I really cannot explain it but the population at large is somehow drawn to vote for obvious morons. Even unrelatable ones like Kenney and Ford.

infernal machines posted:

But seriously, did your mom express why she feels Ford is the obvious choice over say an ONDP candidate, assuming one exists in her riding?

He has been invisible and silent for the last 4 months which is more than enough time for Ontario's goldfish brained population to forget literally everything he has done and still plans to do.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 2, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

yeah the ONDP knows they've been blowing up my phone every six hours to confirm i'm voting

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sometimes the vote just kinda swings and you can't tell why. I still don't really know how we ended up with the Tories in NS. The Owls Head Park thing was the only big bump I saw. And yeah that was shady but I didn't expect a Tory majority all the same.

I guess there was also that stupid labour bill but the Tories have already gone back on their explicit campaign promise to throw it so lmao

Edit:

Only thing aside from general Liberal sucking that is, obviously

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Albino Squirrel posted:

Man, what the HELL. I'm a family doc but I order AST all the drat time - it actually makes a significant difference in hepatitis C and cirrhosis prognosis. Granted I have a lot more liver disease in my practice than a lot of doctors but I can't imagine having to refer to GI or ID - and waiting like 6 months for the consult - to get this blood test covered.

Fun story. Two weeks my family doctor requisitioned a blood test. Today I received an invoice from LifeLabs asking for $140 while also stating that the test is covered by OHIP. Had to spend 30 minutes on phone to provide my HC#. Hope they cleared it! Wonder if they’re double dipping. How is this NOT violating the Canada Health Act lol

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Ah poo poo wtf where am i

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Leftists coopting accelerationism?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1532025392340430848?s=20&t=ajV9BwgWRcnIRWLw2A4lAw

LOL gently caress off and die.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

rae days, I didn't even try to debate, it's hard to find the motivation to waste breath mounting a compelling argument for horwath. Just doesn't seem to be that important these days

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

rae days, I didn't even try to debate, it's hard to find the motivation to waste breath mounting a compelling argument for horwath. Just doesn't seem to be that important these days

Fair enough, that's entirely understandable.

Arivia posted:

yeah the ONDP knows they've been blowing up my phone every six hours to confirm i'm voting

TBH, this is why I'm not on any ONDP lists.

Furnaceface posted:

He has been invisible and silent for the last 4 months which is more than enough time for Ontario's goldfish brained population to forget literally everything he has done and still plans to do.

Yeah, it's a bit galling really. Even for people otherwise not paying attention to the poo poo they pulled in 2018 and 2019, the last two years have managed to piss everyone off in some way, but somehow none of that seems to have stuck to Ford, at least if you believe polls.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 2, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

McGavin posted:

Every time I heard campaign updates on CBC radio it was along the lines of "Doug Ford of the Progressive Conservatives will be stopping at X and Y today and tomorrow, but will not be taking questions from the media at either event."
"I will take no Questions" is still better than "Open for Business".

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Every single article I read either the PCs weren't answering questions or failed to respond to a request for a position or wasn't going to debate.

The very idea that they can get a majority doing this poo poo is nauseating.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
OPCs asking journalists to submit written questions in advance knowing full well Doug Ford can't read.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Syfe posted:

Every single article I read either the PCs weren't answering questions or failed to respond to a request for a position or wasn't going to debate.

CTV had a “person on the street” segment tonight where they were asking people who they were voting for and why. Several people voting PC said they were voting Ford due to “name recognition”.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If that's the first bar you need to clear, then yes, the NDP and Liberals already have a problem

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mr. Apollo posted:

CTV had a “person on the street” segment tonight where they were asking people who they were voting for and why. Several people voting PC said they were voting Ford due to “name recognition”.

*sees name of guy in the news for constantly loving up pandemic response and economy and everything else that passes his desk*

"At least he's getting coverage! Unlike the people not in charge of all the mistakes!"

gently caress me we're doomed

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

flakeloaf posted:

If that's the first bar you need to clear, then yes, the NDP and Liberals already have a problem

If this is your Leader's fourth provincial election, and no one knows who they are, you might have found your problem.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Why have rae days stuck in people's heads so much?

I wasn't around in Canada when that was a thing but reading about them they didn't seem super catastrophic or anything

Edit: hopefully horworth finally fucks off afterwards

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Because the media is dominated by conservatives.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Alctel posted:

Why have rae days stuck in people's heads so much?

It was the "backstabbing" of a party (ndp) that was pro-union/worker going "oops, we can't afford to pay you/your contract" and legislated people to take unpaid days off by shutting down the government down on those days.

To make it more fun, Bob Rae then proceeded to become a liberal later on and basically saying the ndp policies are unsustainable.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

I love it when politicians try to convince us that there are people are anxiously waiting to become heroin junkies just as soon as a law is passed saying that's OK.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

The Archdiocese of St. John’s is selling off churches and properties to pay court-ordered compensation to residential school survivors. Not terribly noteworthy, but this piece of poetic justice made me chuckle.

Yeah, can't imagine what swooping in and taking someone's land could possibly feel like.

Yeah, I think a lot of people don't understand how church organizations work. My parents are religious and their church is going through some kind of major fight with their parent conference because they wanted to discuss the possibility of maybe voting on their policies about openly welcoming LGBTQ people to the church. The church was built, funded, and maintained through money given by the congregation but they have no legal attachment to the building or land. The specific congregation is itself not a legal entity and doesn't own or have claim to anything, it's all owned by the parent denominational conference. This is a very common setup and most people don't know that their church could be shut down and sold off from under them and it's completely legal.

Apparently the idea of incorporating the congregation came up at some point but people voted against it because they didn't see the benefit. Well lol.

Nothing makes sense to me anymore. I can't recall the poll but the 18-34-ish age range was actually more in favour of the PC than the next age cohort up. How does this happen.
Every left-winger has dreamed of some utopia when the boomers die off and stop voting conservative but I think it's clear that they are being replaced by even worse idiots in the same age group as me.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Fidelitious posted:

Nothing makes sense to me anymore. I can't recall the poll but the 18-34-ish age range was actually more in favour of the PC than the next age cohort up. How does this happen.
Every left-winger has dreamed of some utopia when the boomers die off and stop voting conservative but I think it's clear that they are being replaced by even worse idiots in the same age group as me.
If my friends’ siblings and my cousins’ kids are anything to go by it’s due to 4chan memes and the YouTube algorithm.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I’ve had a few people in their early to mid twenties tell me that the NDP would be a trainwreck because we can’t tax ourselves out of trouble, and it’s incredibly depressing.

The messaging that we Can’t Tax The Rich seems like it’s developed real deep roots.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

John Lorinc on effective politics, and the highway that wins elections

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Syfe posted:

The OPCP is headed for a crushing win, and I don't blame voters.

The Liberals seemed to realize they needed to get peoples attention, and they held some stunts that got covered. Except, they had absolutely nothing to say. It was, literally: "Did you know the PCs appointed conservative to politically appointed positions, instead of Liberals?!!!!" and "Did you know certain OPCP MPs spent riding association money in the same way as the Liberal leader, without themselves being Liberal?!!!!" Bonus points to the Toronto Star for then running an article about how the Liberals needed to go negative. They went negative. They got as far as, "conservatives do for themselves what we would do for ourselves were we in power".

The NDP has policy positions which are incremental at best, and then they get bogged down in explaining why they won't promise to do more. So they message is a) diluted, b) convoluted and c) not really that different from what the other parties propose.

The OPCP has announced one, very clear plan. To build a highway. It will be useful to some people. They've ignored everything that doesn't contribute to the message they want to send out. They did little, but made sure what they did was understandable. It's been a terrible campaign, I agree, but they've been an order of magnitude less terrible than their opposition so we get four more years of Ford.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Just got back from my polling station, less than 15 minutes door to door.

Ain't no one voting right now in south Davenport. Somehow I have the feeling that's the same in a lot of other places.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Voted, 10 minutes. It always shocks my husband how fast voting is in Canada, he said the last time he voted in the US it was 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think the longest it's ever taken me has been 20 minutes, during the last federal election, because they were only letting five people into the polling place at a time.

Our democracy may not work in any meaningful sense, but at least it doesn't waste a lot of my time. And really, isn't efficiency in poor government the most Canadian thing of all?