Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My cat doesn't like strangers, but he is such a dick that he will come meet them, rub on them, then hiss and swat. I try to warn people, but sometimes they don't believe it because he is very convincing at being nice for 20 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Taima posted:

My cat is 13 years old and has developed a concerning habit of hiding under the bed...?

we rescued him several years ago and he had a lot of behavioral problems, but over time, we conquered them all and he's been a total lap cat.

I'm not sure if this is new or if he's just reverting to old habits. We took him to the vet to get checked out, and he got a clean bill of health. The vet was even impressed how good he looked for 13.

Is this something I should be worried about? It's like sometimes he gets a wild hair and just needs to go under the bed for seemingly no reason. He'll come out if I call him, but will slowly kind of revert and go back under.

He might just like sleeping under there, I don't know, any thoughts?

It doesn't feel like he's scared because it's not like he's freaking out. He just determines sometimes that he needs to be under the bed, slowly heads over there, and that's it. Then he comes out like nothing is wrong. If he always did this I wouldn't be concerned but this is entirely new behavior that he hasn't exhibited for years.
Is he spending all his time there, or is it part of a cycle of activities he engages in during the day that just happens to include hiding under the bed? Cats like enclosed spaces in general and it's possible he's discovered this new cozy spot for naps and you're reading too much into it.

Edit: to add, I have three cats. Each one has a separate hidey hole they like to go to for any and no reason, including inside the box spring of my bed, which has a torn underlining. It would not be unusual to find one there if I looked at some point during the day.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 29, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Good news: had three of my guys go home today. The lady was a previous adopter from our shelter, and has set aside an entire floor of her home for dedicated space for them (along with the rest of the house, of course). It's looking like it'll be really good for them, especially for three that all seemed like they weren't going to find homes soon.

Jasper was suspicious of everything going on in the room, though.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Hey, if anyone has some feeding tips I'd be appreciative.

Ferdinand used to eat his 1/2-pouch of kitten wet food 4 times a day on a regular schedule. 8-12-18-23 usually. But lately at some mealtimes he's been showing no interest at all, until he decides to go back to it an hour or more later. Sometimes he'll eat it all and I can't figure out what the difference is. I don't like leaving his wet food out especially as the weather's getting warmer. Between me and my partner the schedule is pretty stable and there's no reason he shouldn't be hungry for breakfast at the time it's served.

He's 16 weeks old. According to the wet food he's on (UK-based, Blink) he should now be eating 2-3 pouches a day, he eats most of 2 and has some dry food at night. He's gaining weight at a ridiculous pace and pooping normally. He never eats a whole 85g pouch in one meal - we've tried bigger meals less frequently, most of it gets wasted.

Is he just being an rear end in a top hat? I figure as long as he's eating something he's okay. Should I be taking the food away if he doesn't eat it right away? Ideally we'd like him to eat at the times we set due to work schedules.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I finally own my own home and can drill holes in the wall. I want to build an awesome play ground with a bridge and places to climb. Has anyone here done this? Any good brand recommendations?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

SkyeAuroline posted:

Good news: had three of my guys go home today. The lady was a previous adopter from our shelter, and has set aside an entire floor of her home for dedicated space for them (along with the rest of the house, of course). It's looking like it'll be really good for them, especially for three that all seemed like they weren't going to find homes soon.

Jasper was suspicious of everything going on in the room, though.

These three appear to be absolute characters, I'm glad they're getting a nice landing :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A friend of mine is trying to rehome some kittens and an adult cat. We went there with the intention of taking in a kitten but immediately fell in love with this guy instead.

We're going to make a vet appointment to double check that he's healthy and doesn't have anything communicable and then bring him home. His name there was Chunky and we've already decided that he's Sir Chunksworth III

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else have a cat whose brain absolutely breaks when you pat them near the base of the tail?

Mine seems to love it and hate it at the same time, literally purring and rolling around like a crazy person but also biting me (which she never does)?

Cats, man.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dpkg chopra posted:

Does anyone else have a cat whose brain absolutely breaks when you pat them near the base of the tail?

Mine seems to love it and hate it at the same time, literally purring and rolling around like a crazy person but also biting me (which she never does)?

Cats, man.

Cat erogenous zone.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Len posted:

A friend of mine is trying to rehome some kittens and an adult cat. We went there with the intention of taking in a kitten but immediately fell in love with this guy instead.

We're going to make a vet appointment to double check that he's healthy and doesn't have anything communicable and then bring him home. His name there was Chunky and we've already decided that he's Sir Chunksworth III

Aww that's the opposite of a kitten but he looks like a big sweety

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It seems my cat has an irresistible attraction to string like objects. We bought a thing of cat grass (cyperus) and she immediately goes for it when she gets access to the room it's in, and doesn't stop nibbling on it until we stop her, even though it seems to almost make her puke. She's also always trying to eat various strings and cords she finds. Once we had to pull multiple feet of knitting yarn out of her little mouth, we've been very careful with leaving yarn unattended since.

The grass in question.

I wonder what causes this fascination. With the grass, I guess I can imagine it's similar to something like potato chips, where eating it is just so fun that you don't stop until it's gone. But chewing on random strings seems kind of pointless...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

pidan posted:

Aww that's the opposite of a kitten but he looks like a big sweety

We hope things go well and our cats can handle him. Domino doesn't like other animals and after 5 years is only kind of friendly with bean. But if it doesn't work they'll take him back

The kittens will be easy to rehome, everyone wants a kitten.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Harriet Carker posted:

I finally own my own home and can drill holes in the wall. I want to build an awesome play ground with a bridge and places to climb. Has anyone here done this? Any good brand recommendations?

Etsy has a lot of well made stuff in a variety of styles for a lot less money.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Harriet Carker posted:

We have a small vertical climb & chill wall and I did get the set on Etsy. Wasn't cheap though, especially since I hosed up and ordered from somewhere that wasn't free of import-tax, they got me GOOD.

Looks great tho, and they love it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I strongly suggest whatever you build, get a hammock of some kind into it. Those things are a cat sandtrap, they'll spend their entire life there.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

kw0134 posted:

Everything I've ever read/watched/heard on socialization involves lots of time, contact, and food, but all within the context of an age window of a few weeks to a few months old. It may already be too late, but if he's playing with you then it's not hopeless. If he's at all food motivated then the first thing to try is to basically hand feed him and only do it while he's willing to eat while very close to the roommate; no freefeeding. When he's comfortable just sitting in very close proximity to the human, then start petting him as he's eating. (Back off if he runs away, then start from the beginning.) He should learn to associate food == human == pleasurable petting and be more amenable to that. Keep repeating until he's less skittish with contact. Play time is also very helpful, possibly right before (because cats hunt, then eat) feeding. Almost ideally he'll be comfortable and tired and full enough that he wouldn't mind spending the next part of the cat lifestyle sleeping on or near the person, which only improves trust. This is fairly time intensive but you can't change cat behavior without a large investment of effort. He's likely too large to carry around, but the more contact he has with people even when not eating is also good, if that's possible.

Thank you for the response! I think you might be right that food might be key, though Mini is not especially foot motivated he DOES let people feed him and will eat treats out of just about anyone’s palm with enough encouragement. Hasn’t seemed to work too well so far for making it easier to pet him, though it does seem to help in general with relaxing him around humans, so who knows.

One of the issues is that he only turns into a normal cat who allows himself to relax and be petted like normal when nobody else is awake or around, and only in the basement area of the house where my bedroom is. It’s almost like he’s a different cat when we’re upstairs and doesn’t even let me touch him up there. But every night he goes right back to being a sweetheart after everyone else has gone to bed.

The way I got him used to me was to constantly be around him and walking up to him and away from him repeatedly while never trying to touch him, or even looking directly at him. Because at first he would just run away from any and all human beings who entered into his personal sphere, especially if they showed the slightest interest in him. It took about 3-4 months of this before he started letting me (and others) feed him and play with him. But I still didn’t try to pet him for a few more months, while my roommates were chasing him around on occasion sometimes, because at this point he seemed cool with people but would always slip away like an eel when you tried to touch him.

Anyway, it was only after about another 6 months of walking around him, holding my hand up to him (but not touching) to get him used to it and unafraid of it, that sort of thing. On top of ALL of this, I doubt he would have accepted me at all if it weren’t for my other cat Jackie - Mini adores her, and would eventually jump on my bed after Jackie and snuggle with her there, also letting me freely pet him at the same time. So I think a number of factors really had to be right, but I honestly think anyone could get there with enough patience and a certain amount of self-discipline.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
Do they go after the astronaut all the time? My little jerk would definitely spend her life leaping off that platform in its general direction.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Jayne Doe posted:

Do they go after the astronaut all the time? My little jerk would definitely spend her life leaping off that platform in its general direction.

No, that's perspective fuckery, it's too far from the top platform to be able to reach and we have tall ceilings so it's quite a drop. They do bat at the leaves of our giant strelitzia if within reach, I'm always balancing all the furniture in the exact positions for minimum damage.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can any posters here recommend a dry-food kibble for urinary health? I'm particularly looking to take a more preventative approach to urinary blockages, which I reckon my cat will be more susceptible to as he ages

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Can any posters here recommend a dry-food kibble for urinary health? I'm particularly looking to take a more preventative approach to urinary blockages, which I reckon my cat will be more susceptible to as he ages

One of our cats had bladder issues until we got her on Purina one urinary tract blend. She's had zero accidents since then

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Cinnamon has had bouts of pee problems but Royal Canin S/O Crystal Management has mostly dealt with the problem. I still leave the bedroom door shut when we go away for a few days, though...

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

kaworu posted:

Thank you for the response! I think you might be right that food might be key, though Mini is not especially foot motivated he DOES let people feed him and will eat treats out of just about anyone’s palm with enough encouragement. Hasn’t seemed to work too well so far for making it easier to pet him, though it does seem to help in general with relaxing him around humans, so who knows.

One of the issues is that he only turns into a normal cat who allows himself to relax and be petted like normal when nobody else is awake or around, and only in the basement area of the house where my bedroom is. It’s almost like he’s a different cat when we’re upstairs and doesn’t even let me touch him up there. But every night he goes right back to being a sweetheart after everyone else has gone to bed.

The way I got him used to me was to constantly be around him and walking up to him and away from him repeatedly while never trying to touch him, or even looking directly at him. Because at first he would just run away from any and all human beings who entered into his personal sphere, especially if they showed the slightest interest in him. It took about 3-4 months of this before he started letting me (and others) feed him and play with him. But I still didn’t try to pet him for a few more months, while my roommates were chasing him around on occasion sometimes, because at this point he seemed cool with people but would always slip away like an eel when you tried to touch him.

Anyway, it was only after about another 6 months of walking around him, holding my hand up to him (but not touching) to get him used to it and unafraid of it, that sort of thing. On top of ALL of this, I doubt he would have accepted me at all if it weren’t for my other cat Jackie - Mini adores her, and would eventually jump on my bed after Jackie and snuggle with her there, also letting me freely pet him at the same time. So I think a number of factors really had to be right, but I honestly think anyone could get there with enough patience and a certain amount of self-discipline.
Yeah, your roommates are gonna have to put in months of intensive space-sharing, it's not uncommon for fosters to socialize kittens for weeks at a time, hours a day being close to the cat and being as non-threatening as possible. It's not insurmountable, but it's not a commitment to be taken lightly.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Len posted:

One of our cats had bladder issues until we got her on Purina one urinary tract blend. She's had zero accidents since then

floofyscorp posted:

Cinnamon has had bouts of pee problems but Royal Canin S/O Crystal Management has mostly dealt with the problem. I still leave the bedroom door shut when we go away for a few days, though...

Thank you both. Very promising!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Last night we thought a burglar had broken into our house, only to find our three cats downstairs in a standoff. Two of our cats are aged six and are from the same litter and The other is an eight-year-old stray that we adopted and has gotten along with the other two for years. Until last night, anyway. The cats were yowling at each other in a tone that I’ve never heard before and we had to separate them. We reintroduce this morning and the same thing happened, however, when we tried it again this afternoon after separating for the entire day, things went well at first and the cats were nuzzling each other… until the same yowling happened again.

I’m not sure if it’s relevant, however my wife and I had a baby last week and the Internet seems to suggest the new smells might have something to do with new aggression in cats.

Any idea what could be going on here?

Edit: It mostly seems to be a problem with the male six year old and the female eight year old. Even though they know each other for years, when they see e/o now It is like they are seeing a brand new cat

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 1, 2022

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

I went out to my backyard today and found a cat I haven’t seen before. I checked Nextdoor, and saw a post from nearby for a missing cat who looked very similar. I scooped up the cat and got him inside expecting a happy reunion. Unfortunately, when the Nextdoor poster arrived they said it’s not their cat. Soo then I had a very sweet, possibly kidnapped cat in my garage.

After getting him out from his hiding spot, I brought him to animal control to scan for a microchip, but no luck. One woman there suggested just releasing him back to the backyard, but another said we should leave him at the shelter for claiming or adoption and I chose to leave him at the shelter.

Did I do the right thing here? I have a post up on Nextdoor asking if anyone recognizes him and checked in with my neighbors. I do plan to adopt him if he’s not claimed, but I also don’t want to just steal someone’s cat? Any advice would be appreciated!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I would definitely check the local shelters if my cat disappeared and wouldn’t trust her to be able make it home on her own. As long as the cat eventually gets a good home, things are probably fine.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Unless it’s a kitten or clearly looks like a stray (not neutered), I say let it out. If I saw a random cat I would absolutely think it’s just an outdoor cat and they know their way home.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JHomer722 posted:

I went out to my backyard today and found a cat I haven’t seen before. I checked Nextdoor, and saw a post from nearby for a missing cat who looked very similar. I scooped up the cat and got him inside expecting a happy reunion. Unfortunately, when the Nextdoor poster arrived they said it’s not their cat. Soo then I had a very sweet, possibly kidnapped cat in my garage.

After getting him out from his hiding spot, I brought him to animal control to scan for a microchip, but no luck. One woman there suggested just releasing him back to the backyard, but another said we should leave him at the shelter for claiming or adoption and I chose to leave him at the shelter.

Did I do the right thing here? I have a post up on Nextdoor asking if anyone recognizes him and checked in with my neighbors. I do plan to adopt him if he’s not claimed, but I also don’t want to just steal someone’s cat? Any advice would be appreciated!

Is the cat fixed?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

IMO if someone lets their cat wander and its not chipped or otherwise identifiable you did the right thing letting the shelter handle it. If they're not claimed they'll get fixed up for anything, fixed, chipped and adopted out so someone who will take care of them especially since they're friendly. Most shelters also strongly encourage indoor only for the safety of the cat. If either of my cats went missing, local shelters are the first people I would tell and give pictures to, though they're both indoor only.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Thanks all for the replies. The shelter posted a profile on the Stray or Found page and the cat is a “he”, about two years old, and not neutered.

Boogalo posted:

IMO if someone lets their cat wander and its not chipped or otherwise identifiable you did the right thing letting the shelter handle it. If they're not claimed they'll get fixed up for anything, fixed, chipped and adopted out so someone who will take care of them especially since they're friendly. Most shelters also strongly encourage indoor only for the safety of the cat. If either of my cats went missing, local shelters are the first people I would tell and give pictures to, though they're both indoor only.

This all matches my thought process. I don’t think someone letting their cat out means they’re a “bad” pet owner, but there are risks, including cars, coyotes, and cautious but well intentioned neighbors.

I really do hope to reunite him with his owner, but without a collar or chip, placing him with animal control seemed the safest and most likely way to do so.

I’m honestly half convinced he really is the cat from the Nextdoor post I saw, since the markings are similar and the time and location match up. But the owner came by and said it’s not him, so I’ll have to take their word for it. And comparing markings across pictures of tabbies is apparently a good way to drive yourself insane.

JHomer722 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 2, 2022

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

JHomer722 posted:

Thanks all for the replies. The shelter posted a profile on the Stray or Found page and the cat is a “he”, about two years old, and not neutered.

I think if someone doesn’t fix and chip their pet AND lets them outside they’re a bad owner.

There’s a depressing amount of cats that just get abandoned at the slightest inconvenience. I’ve had a few friends who suddenly found themselves taking care of abandoned pet cats after their next-door neighbors moved away. One eventually became an indoor cat and lived to the ripe old age if 22. :unsmith:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
So I ended up adopting the cats that I posted about earlier - two adult females, they were rescued as ferals but they've been living with humans for the past six months or so. They have been with me for a week now. They were very scared at first but they are getting more comfortable each day which is great. One of them is now brave enough to stay out of hiding, but the other cat still mostly hides when I'm around. It would be fine by me otherwise but she has started using one of the litter boxes as a hiding place and that can't be very healthy. Is there any way to discourage the cat from staying in the litter box without making her afraid to use the box for pooping? I moved a cat bed that I know she uses when I'm not around near the litter box and placed some treats in it to encourage her to stay there instead but it hasn't worked yet. Any other ideas?

Oh and as far as I can tell the cat has been eating, pooping and peeing normally. I'm pretty sure that this isn't a health issue since I know that she stays in other places when I'm asleep or away.

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 3, 2022

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I'd let her stay in the litter box for now if she wants, I don't think there's any health problem that's likely to result from that, at least if she's the only cat using it. Moving is a very stressful time for cats, some hide under the sofa for weeks. As long as she's coming out to eat and she lets you clean the box without a fight, I wouldn't treat this situation any differently.

Maybe the reason she likes it is because it smells of herself, if so maybe you can help by laying out some towels from her previous residence or that you've rubbed on her in places where you want her to go.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

pidan posted:

I'd let her stay in the litter box for now if she wants, I don't think there's any health problem that's likely to result from that, at least if she's the only cat using it. Moving is a very stressful time for cats, some hide under the sofa for weeks. As long as she's coming out to eat and she lets you clean the box without a fight, I wouldn't treat this situation any differently.

Maybe the reason she likes it is because it smells of herself, if so maybe you can help by laying out some towels from her previous residence or that you've rubbed on her in places where you want her to go.

Great, thanks, as a first time cat owner I've been kinda low-key anxious about a lot of things but everything has seemed to work out fine so far. I guess the litter box is the most secure thing for her in my bathroom and she likes hiding there since it's the one room my Roomba doesn't enter. Jackson Galaxy mentions the towel thing a lot so I've been trying to set those down into places where the cats sleep and then rotate them into other locations.

edit: here's a fresh picture of the scared toilet cat. I think her eyes are very dark brown all around so in photos they just turn fully black.

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 3, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah hiding in litterbox is a sign of extremely stressed, which in this case is understandable given the situation. Hopefully she'll feel brave enough to move somewhere else soon!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The only cure is time and patience, especially from former ferals.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If I were a cat I wouldn’t hide in a toilet but cats also lick their own poopsmear asses so what do I know, maybe I’m missing out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It may not be the litter and poop itself that makes them feel safe, it could just be the bowl shape of it that lets them feel more comfortable.

Granted, it's a cat. So it could be the poop they like. But I've had plenty of scared cats that cower in a sink or a drawer because it gives them a bit of a shield but they can also keep an eye on surroundings.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of. Jet’s not barfing as much Thea days, but oh man has he had some godawful shits for the past couple weeks. Maybe 1 out of every 3 poops will be not so much soft serve so much as melted ice cream. :barf: And it smells ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. I’ve had to wipe his rear end a few times, too, which is kinda new.

Is it possible that damage to the stomach or intestines can cause loose stool/diarrhea? I wonder if he ate a hairband or twist tie or something and it poked a hole in his guts.

Dienes posted:

A hail mary pass might be to give her some pro and prebiotics in her food. Cleared up Rexie's bout of loose poop after medication issues.

Hmm, I’ll try this. Mix it in with some Ciao Churu or Nulo equivalent, maybe. Any brand recommendations? Jet doesn’t really do treats, but he really likes Churu, so a powder or something would be ideal.

Otteration posted:

This may be stupid obvious, and sorry if I missed it, but did the vet check a stool sample?

They did not. I’m probably gonna call again with an update on his condition and ask what the gently caress to do.

kaworu posted:

There are a lot of pretty fantastic options out there now which definitely were not around in 2013 especially with regard to dry food - or it seems that way to me.

At the moment (for dry food) I give Jackie (a 15 year old female) First Mate - Pacific Ocean Fish with Blueberries, which is grain-free, something that I do think is very important to look for in any dry food you feed your cat.

It’s definitely more expensive than some other options, but given that I don’t have to buy it too frequently and I really don’t mind splurging on good food that my recent vet (who has been really great) recommends. And I have to admit that Jackie’s been in fantastic health and her coat has gotten softer than it’s been in a decade since I started feeding her this stuff.

Jackie’s around Jet’s age so sure, I’ll try that out, thanks. To Chewy!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Obfuscation posted:

Great, thanks, as a first time cat owner I've been kinda low-key anxious about a lot of things but everything has seemed to work out fine so far. I guess the litter box is the most secure thing for her in my bathroom and she likes hiding there since it's the one room my Roomba doesn't enter. Jackson Galaxy mentions the towel thing a lot so I've been trying to set those down into places where the cats sleep and then rotate them into other locations.

edit: here's a fresh picture of the scared toilet cat. I think her eyes are very dark brown all around so in photos they just turn fully black.

My old roommate’s cat did that for the first week after she adopted him. My cat hid in the cardboard carrier he came in until I expanded his access to my bedroom and he immediately ran under my bed. It’s possible it feels safe because it smells like her and she’s overwhelmed by all the new smells?

Maybe giving her a box or cave bed or somewhere else she cat hide in to feel secure? Jackson Galaxy’s show would also recommend high places (like a cat tree or shelves).