Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

anyone in the UK know of a good site to get parts? my circle pad is a bit iffy when pushing it left and it spins freely in the housing so I wanna put a new one in there.

I’m in the US but the answer is probably still AliExpress. I just ordered some myself since my original one has a deep scratch somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Walla posted:

You're the only person I've seen with any of these issues. Like, use a third party app to format FAT32 with like a 32 bit cluster size and you should be good to go.

Yeah, I don't think one needs to be at all cautious or concerned about it. Formatting an SD card for a 3DS is exactly as simple as any other homebrewy thing you might want to do to it, and I have never heard of any of the issues endlessmonotony is describing, nor can I even find anything about them googling around.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are there replacement 2DSXL shells?

Edit: in colors other than the defaults

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Walla posted:

You're the only person I've seen with any of these issues. Like, use a third party app to format FAT32 with like a 32 bit cluster size and you should be good to go.

Like this is quite literally what I did with my 128 gb card. I did shell out the extra for a Nintendo branded one so maybe that's part of it.

Why does godmode9 include a special formatter?

Why does that formatter ask about type of emunand?

Why are there huge tables of compatibility data for SD cards?

Why do you know to recommend "32 bit" cluster size?

Why do you respond to the GBA tearing issue by either changing cluster size or getting a better SD card?

The answer to all of these is "because someone ran across that problem and found a way to work around it". The problems are still there, and if you don't pay attention to the workarounds and realize that it's hacks built on hacks built on hacks you can very much still brick yourself. At least ntrboot lets you recover way easier these days.

Get a high quality 32gb SDHC card from a legitimate seller and follow the guide until you have backups and a way to restore them.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The 3DS is a 12 years old console and there's a decade's worth of outdated homebrew/info that's still easily available. Of course you'll run into those issues if you try to follow outdated guides.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also a lot of really weird solutions to really weird problems we no longer need. Get good quality SDHC card, follow guide, when you have backups format bigger card with godmode9, so goddamn simple.

It was so much worse. And there's no need to subject yourself to any of that. Well unless you're reusing Raspberry Pi cards, at least.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

so goddamn simple

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

endlessmonotony posted:

The problems are still there, and if you don't pay attention to the workarounds and realize that it's hacks built on hacks built on hacks you can very much still brick yourself.

no they're not and no you can't brick a 3ds by formatting your sd card improperly please take a deep breath.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Well unless you're reusing Raspberry Pi cards, at least.

There it is.

Don't reuse cards that you've been flashing Linux operating systems into. All of the overclocking that goes on with a lot of these devices essentially eats cards like pieces of poo poo for breakfast.

I've done 7 or 8 3ds's with wildly different brands and types of cards and I'm convinced that, as long as you're reading the proper guide and don't spit into the card slot before you load it, you're gonna be fine.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The only thing I'm worried about is if I need a new 3DS in a few years, how is it going to be hacked with the store down? I'm not about to learn to solder for ntr boot, so hopefully something shows up before next year. Also I need to hack my son's while I still can.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

pig labeled 3 posted:

There it is.

Don't reuse cards that you've been flashing Linux operating systems into. All of the overclocking that goes on with a lot of these devices essentially eats cards like pieces of poo poo for breakfast.

I've done 7 or 8 3ds's with wildly different brands and types of cards and I'm convinced that, as long as you're reading the proper guide and don't spit into the card slot before you load it, you're gonna be fine.

Nah, overclocking has nothing to do with it. Heavy filesystem use just causes wear that makes the card fail sooner. You can just wipe the partition table and reuse the cards... but y'know, don't, because you probably want the card in your 3DS to last.

I am never buying PNY or ADATA SD cards again, and counterfeit cards cause endless issues with corruption. Buy a good card, especially now when a good SDHC card is about seven bucks.

And you don't need to do any filesystem fuckery with the current 3DS hacks, but there was a time when that was a problem. That's why device-specific formatters like the godmode9 one are a godsend.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 2, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Walla posted:

The only thing I'm worried about is if I need a new 3DS in a few years, how is it going to be hacked with the store down? I'm not about to learn to solder for ntr boot, so hopefully something shows up before next year. Also I need to hack my son's while I still can.

You can find a DSTT and ntrboot with that. Easy and also protects you from a lot of the possible bricks. Finding one can be very :filez: though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You had to download a game to hack? I just used a magnet for mine

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Walla posted:

Are you not aware of seedminer?

https://3ds.hacks.guide/seedminer

e: oh you still need an exploitable game... hrm..

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You will still be able to download games you own from the eShop in the future, right? Doesn't that also apply to free stuff like demos and Pokemon Picross (an exploitable game) if you downloaded them once? Unless they somehow pull it because the microtransactions can no longer work.

If you're doing a system transfer you don't need to re-do the steps for homebrew that involve using your friend code and those two sites either. You can use your previous moveable sed file and the Pokemon Picross save again, assuming you backed those up and are still using the same NNID.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 2, 2022

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Are you not aware of seedminer?

https://3ds.hacks.guide/seedminer

e: oh you still need an exploitable game... hrm..

Doable without Picross

https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(usm)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is there a guide anywhere for completely tech illiterate braindead idiots like me who want to mod/hack/whatever their DS? I just want to play the impossibly expensive pokemon games and stuff. Would I be better off just ordering a counterfeit flash cart version on eBay?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Just follow the instructions on this guide.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Frog Act posted:

Is there a guide anywhere for completely tech illiterate braindead idiots like me who want to mod/hack/whatever their DS? I just want to play the impossibly expensive pokemon games and stuff. Would I be better off just ordering a counterfeit flash cart version on eBay?

If it's a 3DS the guide was posted above.

If it's a DSi follow this guide.

If it's an original DS/DS Lite you will need a flash cart. No idea which ones are reliable these days.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Just get a R4 from Amazon.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are there any "hidden gem" 3DS games to be aware of, preferably available in physical format? I've been beefing up my collection since the eShop's demise is imminent. I've got a couple of things, mostly RPGs, Ever Oasis, the Kirby games (minus Extra Epic Yarn which is evidently insanely expensive for some reason).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Been forever since I played it, but the Green Lantern game was a Metroidvania. Batman Arkham Asylum Blackgate too.

Tom Clancy's: Ghost Recon Shadow Wars is a turn based tactics game made by the original creator of X-Com. I hear it was basically a rewritten GI Joe game.

Codename S.T.E.A.M. is another tactics game, made by Intelligent Systems with X-Com elements. It flopped pretty hard so you can get it super cheap. I actually liked it a lot. It's basically a retelling of War of the Worlds but your squad is made up of public domain book protagonists and and folk heroes (lead by Abraham Lincoln who faked his assassination.) All in a cool Jack Kirby inspired art style.

Goosebumps is a text adventure in the vein of Uninvited, Shadowgate, or Deja Vu.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Saoshyant posted:

If it's a 3DS the guide was posted above.

If it's a DSi follow this guide.

If it's an original DS/DS Lite you will need a flash cart. No idea which ones are reliable these days.

Thanks! That looks a bit beyond my capacity at the moment, though I guess if I devoted a day to it over the weekend I could figure it out.

Walla posted:

Just get a R4 from Amazon.

This sounds a bit more up my alley. There are a lot of different varieties and a bunch mention "timebomb/no timebomb" - is there one in particular that is relatively reliable? Just to clarify, they're basically microSD mounts that let you run ROMs, so I could find a Heartgold ROM, load it onto a MicroSD, plug it into the R4, and play it without futzing around with firmware and stuff?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! That looks a bit beyond my capacity at the moment, though I guess if I devoted a day to it over the weekend I could figure it out.

This sounds a bit more up my alley. There are a lot of different varieties and a bunch mention "timebomb/no timebomb" - is there one in particular that is relatively reliable? Just to clarify, they're basically microSD mounts that let you run ROMs, so I could find a Heartgold ROM, load it onto a MicroSD, plug it into the R4, and play it without futzing around with firmware and stuff?

NOOO.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If you have a 3DS or a DSi, the guides as listed.

If you have a DS or DS Lite, get a DSTT.

Flash carts do not allow you to skip futzing around with firmware, they're worse.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I mean it sure sounds like they do, since you don’t have to do anything to the DS yourself, unless I’m missing something

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Code name Steam sounds rad. What sort of tactics is it?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

for real, it's super easy. I did it and I'm stupid as poo poo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You need to jailbreak it use a flashcart anyway

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

Yeah I was looking at that guide earlier and all the technical terms put me off - like I can't stress enough my incompetence and impatience with this stuff, my technical ceiling is installing mods for medieval 2 - but it does look doable. I'm gonna try a flash cart that apparently works with the 2dsXL and has a bunch of positive reviews and if that's a total bust I'll give this whole thing a try. I'll have to invest in an SD card reader and stuff to make it work so I'm gonna have to shell out either way.

hatty posted:

You need to jailbreak it use a flashcart anyway

I'm confused by this because the R4 cards all imply or just explicitly state that all you have to do is insert the cartridge and play the games

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Frog Act posted:

I mean it sure sounds like they do, since you don’t have to do anything to the DS yourself, unless I’m missing something

You're indeed missing something, as you could have figured out from a post saying the opposite of what you thought was going to happen.

Each flash cart has its own firmware. Acekard's firmware is Least Worst, but DSTT is okay and it's still possible to find. R4 are incredibly uneven and you'd need to do a lot of research.

And they won't even boot without modifying system firmware on DSi or newer. Especially 3DS.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

You're indeed missing something, as you could have figured out from a post saying the opposite of what you thought was going to happen.

Each flash cart has its own firmware. Acekard's firmware is Least Worst, but DSTT is okay and it's still possible to find. R4 are incredibly uneven and you'd need to do a lot of research.

And they won't even boot without modifying system firmware on DSi or newer. Especially 3DS.

I mean, a single person posting "no that's not true" is hardly the conclusive and thoroughly-manifested explanation I need to know I'm misunderstanding something, but I guess I'll take your vociferous assertions into account and do some more research before I buy something

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 9, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Frog Act posted:

For DS games, a flashcart works just fine and will allow you to skip having to modify firmware and fiddle with the console itself. You're paying for the convenience, and also DS flashcarts have better compatibility with roms than TwilightMenu/nds-bootstrap. You do have to make sure that what you're buying is genuine, though - there are a lot of clones, especially of the popular R4 flashcarts, and not all of them are created equal. Also, if you're buying a flashcart to use on 3DS, make sure it's 3DS compatible, IIRC the 3DS bricks flashcarts it detects. If you want to play any DSiware, though, you're going to have to install CFW, I'm pretty sure you can't launch that off of a flashcart.

For 3DS, CFW came about early enough on in the console's lifetime, and are so all-encompassing of the console's features, that flashcarts never really got the same traction as they did on the DS. The few truly 3DS flashcarts that exist are much hackier and jankier than softmodding the console yourself, AFAIK. If you're looking to go any further than the stock 3DS firmware allows you'll most likely want to install CFW rather than get a flashcart.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

For DS games, a flashcart works just fine and will allow you to skip having to modify firmware and fiddle with the console itself. You're paying for the convenience, and also DS flashcarts have better compatibility with roms than TwilightMenu/nds-bootstrap. You do have to make sure that what you're buying is genuine, though - there are a lot of clones, especially of the popular R4 flashcarts, and not all of them are created equal. Also, if you're buying a flashcart to use on 3DS, make sure it's 3DS compatible, IIRC the 3DS bricks flashcarts it detects. If you want to play any DSiware, though, you're going to have to install CFW, I'm pretty sure you can't launch that off of a flashcart.

For 3DS, CFW came about early enough on in the console's lifetime, and are so all-encompassing of the console's features, that flashcarts never really got the same traction as they did on the DS. The few truly 3DS flashcarts that exist are much hackier and jankier than softmodding the console yourself, AFAIK. If you're looking to go any further than the stock 3DS firmware allows you'll most likely want to install CFW rather than get a flashcart.

Thanks! That makes sense. I have a 2DSXL and the ones I've found on Amazon with good reviews say they're compatible with the 2DS and the specific software / firmware I have (11.15 something). I only want to play a few old Pokemon games which they all seem to be preloaded with anyway, so that should be fine for me.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Commander Keene posted:

All flash carts work fine for DS games on a DS or a DS Lite, not a DSi or a 3DS, important to note.

And work "fine" is highly subjective because a flash cart emulates a cartridge.

And getting one has been "incredibly sketchy" for a while, though it changed to "almost impossible" in the EU after the shipping changes a while back. You're not getting a genuine R4 either way.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I also managed the CFW install and I am a complete techno-yutz. Just follow the guide to the letter and it's quite braindead. It does take a bit of time so definitely clear an afternoon or so with no distractions to just get it done!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah, if you have a 2DS you're going to have to hack it anyway. A 2DS is literally a 3DS without the 3D and the process is pretty easy. I still recommend an R4 for DS games as it's better compatibility than TwilightMenu. Unfortunately I can't recommend a specific one since I don't remember exactly who I got mine from. I just grabbed the latest R4 gold off of Amazon and it's worked fine for me, but apparently there are shoddy ones out there. I haven't heard of an R4 damaging someone's system, but I'm sure it can happen so do some research and buyer beware and all.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Frog Act posted:

I'm confused by this because the R4 cards all imply or just explicitly state that all you have to do is insert the cartridge and play the games

It was a cat and mouse game, for a while Nintendo kept blocking flashcarts with firmware updates, and flashcart makers would update their firmware to get around Nintendos block (or you could use CFW to disable the detection)

Nintendo gave up that fight though, so newer flashcarts should just work on a stock 3DS

But you should hack your 3DS anyway

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I mean I would like to get around to doing the whole hacking thing at some point but honestly all I want to do is play Heartgold and the 240 game carts seem to include all the good Pokémon games by default. If that doesn’t work or when I get bored with those I’ll probably take the time to hack it since the shop is going away.

loving sucks though, I’d be happy to pay like $20-$30 for legitimate DS games forever, they’re just not for sale anymore. I don’t understand Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

repiv posted:

It was a cat and mouse game, for a while Nintendo kept blocking flashcarts with firmware updates, and flashcart makers would update their firmware to get around Nintendos block (or you could use CFW to disable the detection)

Nintendo gave up that fight though, so newer flashcarts should just work on a stock 3DS

But you should hack your 3DS anyway

Then there's just the question of "how to figure out if the flash cart you're buying is newer or a clone of something older".

And also the save issue. And the issue with flash carts and GBA games. (Read: You're not running a GBA game off a flash cart without some serious technical knowledge.)