Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm considering getting a C1 to use as a desktop monitor but my display card's HDMI port is already in use plugged into my living room TV/monitor. Is there a good HDMI switch that won't add a bunch of lag or other issues I could use to easily switch between these two inputs or would it just be better to plug and unplug them daily? I saw this recommended elsewhere. Needs to work with all the bells and whistles (4k 120hz, Freesync, HDR, etc)

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think if you change what's plugged into your hdmi port, it might reset your visual settings. you can probably turn off automatic device detection to help with this, but the c1 is a little weird. don't spend any money on a solution before you know it won't be the problem

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Well that's the goal for sure... but which method are you implying would be better/safer?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Be weary of Amazon Super High Def 2022 Best Cable HDMI 2.7 etc etc no name poo poo. That thing does have good reviews but keep in mind you want quality cables as well. I haven't looked, wonder if there are DP-HDMI cables out there that'll work? I guess current DP spec though wont do 4K at high refresh, will it?

HDMI over ethernet is something I've discovered recently and its very interesting but I dont know how it would handle gaming re: latency.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah there's no adapter currently that can handle this resolution and refresh rate without problems. I am aware of the need for good cables, have a 15 meter one currently working fine (120hz 4k) for my living room TV. One thing I noticed is that the two TVs would have different HDR standards (10+ vs DV) and that could cause an issue with the switcher. So maybe would just either have to manually switch at the rear of the PC or wait until there's a 48" OLED monitor with Displayport, which apparently could happen later in the year.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Looking to buy a decent TV for my kids to play games on. I didn't know about TCL until I checked this thread, but they seem alright.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tcl-3-series-32-1080p-hd-led-roku-smart-tv-32s327-ca/13285894

This 32S327 is $199 :canada: dollars right now. That seems like a pretty good deal. Is it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

At that end of the budget spectrum, it basically is what it is. TCL is fine especially as a budget brand. You might want to have a peek at second hand and see if you cant net a 46" or something for around the same price, if space isn't a concern.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Yeah 32 is the right size for the space we'll be using it in. If I was buying a TV for the family room, we'd be looking at larger.

If there's a big step up in quality at that size for a bit more money, I'd pay it, but thar seems like a value sweet spot.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 31, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I hate to see anyone buy a 1080 display in tyool 2022 but that size will be more forgiving of the limitations of that resolution

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm assuming the kids are too young to know what resolution is. Otherwise yeah seems like a weird choice to me.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

What alternative are you suggesting? A 32 inch 4K TV?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

What alternative are you suggesting? A 32 inch 4K TV?

I mean yeah, or a 4k tv around that size? Maybe a 40"? My main monitor is a 32" 4k but I get that it's a wildly different use case. I've seen cheap 55" 4k tvs at Walmart for like 3-400 CAD so I have to think there's a lot of stuff in the 40" range for the right price.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Smallest Walmart tv in Canada at 4k is 43" at $355, which is also the cheapest.

You may want to consider skimming kijiji or fb marketplace for an hour or two, but otherwise the TCL is probably as good as any other 32" 1080p TV available.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Smallest Walmart tv in Canada at 4k is 43" at $355, which is also the cheapest.

You may want to consider skimming kijiji or fb marketplace for an hour or two, but otherwise the TCL is probably as good as any other 32" 1080p TV available.

I thought that would fit their budget.

e: oh they're in Canada also. I still would stretch the budget to $328 for a TV that isn't already outdated.. well, as outdated.

OP look at these:

Free shipping...

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 2, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Refurb though :ohdear:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
If you're getting a 32" tv, you won't notice the 4k resolution unless you're a foot away from it. Just get the 1080p TCL and make sure you limit the ad tracking.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hate that physical appliances come with ads now. Soon they're going to be built into your house.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KillHour posted:

I hate that physical appliances come with ads now. Soon they're going to be built into your house.

They'll be built into any glasses or contacts you buy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPGgTy5YJ-g

Buy Lightspeed Briefs

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
So, I'm having an issue with my LG C1. There was a lot of chaos going on with a bum digging up my flowers and leaving a crack pipe, the cops coming and knocking on my door and my cat having a bleeding eye that I was trying to juggle when this happened, so I wasn't paying attention to detail when this happened. The TV was on, set to HDMI 1 (which is my FIOS TV box) and I long pressed a button on the remote that I can't remember. Pushing that button (I think) caused a menu to pop up that I haven't seen before, and can't find again. The menu had 4 options oriented vertically that were color coded like the 4 horizontal bottom buttons (red, green, yellow and blue). The first option was "AV (a word I don't remember)", and I thought the menu was to change what those buttons on the remote did so I clicked on that first option.

What it did was completely reset all of my settings. I have been working on redoing all of my settings, but one thing I can't figure out is the sound. The sound volume is suddenly really low. Before I hit this button, I would watch FIOS TV at volume 12 and it was the perfect volume for the room. Putting the volume at 19 was too loud. But now, I turn it up to 70, and it still feels too quiet. I know it's capable of being loud, but I have no idea what setting I need to do to get it back. I've gone through all of the sound settings and nothing is changing it to the way it was.

First off, I use the internal speakers for the TV. I live in a row home in the middle of Philadelphia, and the way my wife has decorated the house, we don't have room for either a speaker system or a sound bar. I don't want the advice to be "Buy a sound system or sound bar" because I know for a fact that the issue is a settings issue because it worked perfectly fine since I bought the TV. I have the sound mode set to "Standard" and the sound out set to "TV Speakers". I have seen guides that say to set the "Volume mode" to medium, but I can't find it and every guide that says to do that shows a version of WebOS that is not the one on the LG C1.

Semi-related, this same issue has always been a problem when I use the native Netflix or Hulu apps. If someone has found a way to fix those as well, I would be much obliged, but I can't find anyone who figured that out.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I thought this thread would make my buying decision easier but it's just making me want to up my budget and get a C1 or something. :negative:

I really don't want to spend over $1k but I want 65" and would love to have 120hz/HDMI 2.1 for future gaming. I'm not really sure what my needs/opinions are on the more complex stuff like colors and image processing. Hisense U8G seems like the winner based on all the online reviews but I can get the Sony X90J for the same price from Costco with an free extended warranty and that seems like the safer choice even if they say the Hisense is technically better.

My last TV was a 55" TCL 4-series and I was thinking of just going for the 6-series before I started my research since I liked the old one a lot, but it seems like it's not really much cheaper than other TVs that seem unarguably better. At least for the 65.

Anyway, I'm just posting while I hem and haw with dozens of tabs about TVs open.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
C1 is now 1600 pretty much everywhere, so I'm turning away from the C2 which I am not seeing under 2400. Will I regret this? Is there some huge defect in the C1 that the C2 solves?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

LorneReams posted:

C1 is now 1600 pretty much everywhere, so I'm turning away from the C2 which I am not seeing under 2400. Will I regret this? Is there some huge defect in the C1 that the C2 solves?

Nah. The C2 is a marginal upgrade from the C1 and not worth the money.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I thought the C2 was the upgrade to "OLED EVO" or something like that and was noticeably brighter? Is that not right?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Don't some C1s already have the new panel and it's just software locked to reduced brightness? I recall there being a service menu setting people found to unlock it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Most of the 77 C1s have the Evo panel, but not the 65s.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just wall-mounted my TV and I’d like a cabinet to put a receiver/Switch/PS5 and help hide cords a bit. I have a fireplace underneath so it’s be something smaller that goes off to the side. Any recommendations?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KS posted:

Most of the 77 C1s have the Evo panel, but not the 65s.

Would this be true of a recent Sony 77" screen as well or no?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
If it's an A80J, yes. I believe that's actually the reason the a90J didn't come in 77 -- there wouldn't be a difference.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
If I’m remembering right my March delivered 55” C1 had an Evo panel. What’s this about extra brightness?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KS posted:

If it's an A80J, yes. I believe that's actually the reason the a90J didn't come in 77 -- there wouldn't be a difference.

That's the one, yep.

So... how do I unlock it then?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I think I'm gonna have enough saved to splurge on the 77" C1 next month. Should I wait for Black Friday, or are they gonna run out of stock on the big models before the price goes down much further?

Also, this is a good upgrade, right? I got a deal on a 75" Samsung LED (TU7000) just last year, but I keep reading about how much of a difference the OLED makes for PS5, and I do have trouble with screen glare since the living room gets really bright from the window wall.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's gorgeous but OLED is going to be dimmer, so it's going to be even worse with glare.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's going to be dimmer in HDR highlights only, so it may not be that noticeable of a difference.

Just checked on rings, the TU7000 is not a bright tv at all, the C1 will be almost 3x brighter in the highlights.

Are we really still doing the OLED is dim FUD?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 3, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is it glare I'm talking about? Its a bright room and it can make it hard to see the screen sometimes, I'm not talking about actual reflections. I read the last few pages of the thread and I thought I saw someone talking about how great the C1 is in his bright living room that he's glad he didn't spend extra on the C2.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's going to be dimmer in HDR highlights only, so it may not be that noticeable of a difference.

Just checked on rings, the TU7000 is not a bright tv at all, the C1 will be almost 3x brighter in the highlights.

Are we really still doing the OLED is dim FUD?

I don't really know anything about the TU7000, but considering the C1 uses the same panel as the A80J, I'm pretty confident in saying that TV would be insufficiently bright to compete with a sunlit room on a bright day. It was one of the first things I noticed about the TV when I turned it on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Then no TV will because 1500 nit peak HDR brightness compared to 700 nit peak HDR brightness isn't going to help you see an average brightness scene better, especially if you happen to be watching SDR content.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Then no TV will because 1500 nit peak HDR brightness compared to 700 nit peak HDR brightness isn't going to help you see an average brightness scene better, especially if you happen to be watching SDR content.

Who's saying you should be comparing peak HDR brightness on a tiny square in the middle of a black screen? If you look at brightness tests for realistic scenes, OLEDs are all in the 300 nit range while many LED TVs around the same price (or cheaper) are 600 or higher.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Phenotype posted:

I think I'm gonna have enough saved to splurge on the 77" C1 next month. Should I wait for Black Friday, or are they gonna run out of stock on the big models before the price goes down much further?

The C1 is last year’a model. They are priced low because everyone is trying to get rid of them to make room on their shelves/in their warehouses for the C2. I doubt there will be any left by Black Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Re: Brightness - I've recently been poking around for a replacement for a 4ish year old 55" Vizio LED TV. The light from the windows and ceiling lights reflects really badly on the TV and I thought maybe new anti-glare coatings + OLED would actually let me see what's going on.

Is this a bad assumption? Does anti-glare coating not help minimize reflected light sources all that much?