Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Anybody else think that Steve might be infected with something/bringing something back with him from the upside-down? After the bat-things attack, it looks like the wounds aren't healing well, plus he says something the effect (after coughing) that he feels like he breathed in a bunch of the ash/particulate in the air. Also not sure about Vecna's obsession with spiders and his turn to evil. He finds spiders in his house, becomes obsessed with how cool they are, and that makes him disdainful of humanity and their ability to self-delude or act hypocritically? Just felt a little shallow. Liking almost everything else about this season through, great improvement from 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

dpkg chopra posted:

Somebody remind me, they say that Vecna opens the gates through the psychic energy produced by killing his victims, but we see the tentacles feeding on the fish at Lover's Lake before the basketball player gets killed there?

There's so much content this season that I've forgotten bits and pieces, but I'm pretty sure the tentacle attack is the pre-titles sequence for the episode immediately after the kid gets got.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Noob Saibot posted:

I can remember traumatic stuff from that age

They could literally have been shooting her up with mind altering drugs from then till s1 and even now. Granted, the memory repression is coming off as a convenient plot point now, but these guys have shown zero qualms with taking extreme measures to their lab subjects.

The Steve thing I take as a possible interesting angle they'll leave as a potential major plot point in the final season or may never bother addressing again. Probably dependent on the feedback of this season.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also I don't think your trauma was seeing a bunch of kids that are basically your siblings crumpled up like news paper while you lived in a secret government facility and then killing someone with your mind.

Even if it was, which would be weird, not everyone reacts to trauma the same way.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If I were the traumatized psychic child I would've just remembered what happened.

CainFortea posted:

Also I don't think your trauma was seeing a bunch of kids that are basically your siblings crumpled up like news paper while you lived in a secret government facility and then killing someone with your mind.

Even if it was, which would be weird, not everyone reacts to trauma the same way.

rip to eleven but I'm different

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

If I were Eleven, I would've just taken over the lab and destroyed the Mind Flayer while becoming the most popular kid in school. Sadly shows only want to depict the underdogs.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Senjuro posted:

Didn't help that they used the same music as the Watchmen movie when Dr. Manhattan recounts his life. It made it feel like they were doing a parody of that scene.

The other context for this music is the movie Koyaanisqatsi, for which Philip Glass composed it. Both Dr. Manhattan's story and Koyaanisqatsi are interested in themes of doomed momentum or a kind of tragic, dispassionate inevitability; "Koyaanisqatsi" literally means "life out of balance" in the Hopi language, and the point of the movie is that modern industrial ambition has poisoned the world and we're all trapped in an inescapable death spiral because of it. "Pruitt-Igoe," the title of one of the tracks, was the name of a massive Modernist housing development that opened to huge fanfare but ultimately failed and was demolished, making it a gigantic metaphor for the same idea.

The Stranger Things scene was probably trying to shorthand that feeling more than a specific reference to Watchmen (2009). There's a kind of sobering inevitability to the stories they're cutting between. The reveal that Henry Creel is 001 is Vecna ties the tragedy of the Creel family to the massacre at Hawkins Lab to Eleven's personal trauma and to the Upside Down itself, and all the death that happened in Hawkins since. What seemed like random terrible occurrences are actually a direct line of calculated tragedies all stemming from the same source.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

That's the second time they've used Philip Glass music for an antagonists' monologue, although the first time (Billy in S3) was significantly shorter and creepier imo

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
S2 Trailer: I'm glad the really out of step Russia plot looks like it's going to have a payoff to justify it. Other than that, more than 75% of that footage was from vol. 1. However, that remix of Don't Stop Believin' by Journey for the trailer was loving siiiiiick. I'd put that on my workout playlist.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Also, I can't really blame the show for this, but I remember when the trailers came out, the focus on clock imagery had everyone convinced that this season was going to have a time travel element to it. And then, one of the very first things in the season is Eleven writing a letter to Mike where she says (paraphrasing) "in a way, we are all time travelers". And then.....nothing.

I guess it could still come up in the last two episodes, and the Upside Down being stuck in '83 does point to possibility of there being some time fuckery afoot.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also, I can't really blame the show for this, but I remember when the trailers came out, the focus on clock imagery had everyone convinced that this season was going to have a time travel element to it. And then, one of the very first things in the season is Eleven writing a letter to Mike where she says (paraphrasing) "in a way, we are all time travelers". And then.....nothing.

I guess it could still come up in the last two episodes, and the Upside Down being stuck in '83 does point to possibility of there being some time fuckery afoot.

They haven't yet explained how the new villain originally got his powers so I could absolutely see some Back to the Future stuff as the way to tie most of the threads together aside from what the hell the Upside Down actually is.

The last two episodes are like 4 hours combined, right? That's a lot of runtime, plenty of space to pull a big twist side adventure.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Mat Cauthon posted:

They haven't yet explained how the new villain originally got his powers so I could absolutely see some Back to the Future stuff as the way to tie most of the threads together aside from what the hell the Upside Down actually is.

The last two episodes are like 4 hours combined, right? That's a lot of runtime, plenty of space to pull a big twist side adventure.

Next episode is 1hr30 then the final one is 2hr30

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Wasn't Eleven getter better with idiomatic English in season 3? I was kind of surprised she was still talking like that in HS.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

She was hanging around with Max a lot then, and now she doesn't really have any friends :(

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Moving her away seemed like a slightly dumb decision both in universe cause yeah it removes her from whatever sense of normalcy and comfort she had built up + most of her friends (apart from Will who she didn't really have many scenes with beforehand). Also from a writing perspective cause then you just need to do the legwork in the next season to get everyone back together again. None of the characters seemed happy to be leaving Hawkins, at best they were going "we'll make the best of it!" pained grins and all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thebardyspoon posted:

Moving her away seemed like a slightly dumb decision both in universe cause yeah it removes her from whatever sense of normalcy and comfort she had built up + most of her friends (apart from Will who she didn't really have many scenes with beforehand). Also from a writing perspective cause then you just need to do the legwork in the next season to get everyone back together again. None of the characters seemed happy to be leaving Hawkins, at best they were going "we'll make the best of it!" pained grins and all.

we could be heeeerrrooooooes

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Just finished Ep 4 and drat that was some good stuff. Some seriously good performances in this show. The actors playing Eddie, Chrissy, and Max are standouts, particular Max.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah, it's inelegant. I'm convinced the reason is just storytelling efficiency. They wanted to compartmentalize different characters to different plots, so you wouldn't ask questions about why they're not intersecting. You have the Hawkins plot with Eddie, Dustin, Lucas, Erica, and Max, which eventually folds in Steve, Robin, and Nancy, and that's already a ton of characters. If there wasn't the contrivance of the California plot, you'd then need to reconcile why Will, Mike, Jonathan, and Eleven weren't also part of things. The literal distance explains that, and gives the story somewhere to cut to, to let things breathe a little or change the tone.

My biggest complaint isn't that they separated the characters, more that they created new ones and didn't bother giving the legacy characters anything to do. Especially Will and Jonathan; Jonathan is just a stoner now, and Will (who's honestly never been characterized outside of being in peril) is...what, feels isolated from his friends? Has no other developments? They could do way more with him. Maybe he was tired of being in peril, is super competent now, took a ton of karate. Maybe he's popular now, actually has friends in California and Mike has to reckon with the difference. Maybe they actually do what the internet has theorized for years, have a coming out plot for Will. Maybe they do all of the above! But right now, he feels totally peripheral even in the sidequest he's relegated to, it sucks.

My more controversial thought: I wish Eddie didn't exist and they just adjusted the story such that Dustin was in the same spot. Which is dark as hell, imagining Dustin as traumatized after witnessing a murder and then suspected of committing it. But so much of the Hawkins drama is centered on protecting Eddie from violent psychos taken in by Satanic Panic, and I'd care way more if it was a character we already knew and liked who was at risk. It doesn't seem like a big lift that Dustin would double-down on nerd poo poo, start the Hellfire Club, alienate even more people in the process and become even more of a social pariah than he already was. Not that he'd become a drug dealer, but I'm sure they could've contrived a reason Chrissy went to him for help out of desperation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Eddie’s just a function of the writers wanting a character like that to play with, like they just wanted some sweet dnd scenes with somebody like that.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
You need Eddie and his look to push the Satanic Panic narrative (for better or worse).

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I mean, Dustin could get a new jacket. It'd even be a funny development with respect to Suzie, that Dustin became this edgelord and his extremely sheltered Mormon girlfriend thinks he's a cool, dangerous bad boy.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think Eddie’s just a function of the writers wanting a character like that to play with, like they just wanted some sweet dnd scenes with somebody like that.

This is fair. His persona is definitely his own, this intense, theatrical scumbag.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ehhh, Eddie's fine, none of the other kids has his presence and theatrics becoming of that 29 year olds experience. The problem lies more in all the other new characters and plotlines detracting from the dynamic of the main Hawkins crew.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I AM GRANDO posted:

I like how they de aged Eddie van Halen to play him

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Sadie Sink better win an Emmy for that performance

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Dustin being the King Nerd would have been a fun development.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't think I could see dustin as the possible murderer role. He's always the more level headed one. For the viewer I think it would be way too weird, even if believable in universe.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I see Eddie as serving two purposes:

A - The obvious Satanic Panic part that would have been difficult for any of the main cast to pull off.

B - A sacrificial lamb in some way to show just how strong/resilient the main cast are.

I'm not sure what the current spoiler rules are in TV IV but I've seen people get dinged for it in the past, if it's unnecessary here, apologies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

I see Eddie as serving two purposes:

A - The obvious Satanic Panic part that would have been difficult for any of the main cast to pull off.

B - A sacrificial lamb in some way to show just how strong/resilient the main cast are.

I'm not sure what the current spoiler rules are in TV IV but I've seen people get dinged for it in the past, if it's unnecessary here, apologies.

It's more that Eddie is the hook. Every season has a different adversary, even if they all come from the same ultimate source, and the kids can't have things keep happening to them just because. We saw that in S2, which got a lot of not-undeserved criticism for retreading S1. The writers need to keep creating convincing reasons for them to get involved, and the easiest way to do that is for it to happen to someone they know or somewhere they have a reason to go. In S3 they used the mall; in S4, it's Eddie.

It also makes the town feel bigger and more populated, rather than being five tweens and a cop on the same street.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

The official policy is no tags once the show has released, even when it comes to entire seasons being dropped at once -- as long as you're in the specific thread dedicated to that show, of course.

Unofficially I think it's always been somewhere between three days and a week.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Xealot posted:

My biggest complaint isn't that they separated the characters, more that they created new ones and didn't bother giving the legacy characters anything to do. Especially Will and Jonathan; Jonathan is just a stoner now, and Will (who's honestly never been characterized outside of being in peril) is...what, feels isolated from his friends? Has no other developments? They could do way more with him. Maybe he was tired of being in peril, is super competent now, took a ton of karate. Maybe he's popular now, actually has friends in California and Mike has to reckon with the difference. Maybe they actually do what the internet has theorized for years, have a coming out plot for Will. Maybe they do all of the above! But right now, he feels totally peripheral even in the sidequest he's relegated to, it sucks.

It's worse than that. I saw an article that pointed out that this season we're told that Mike comes to visit El and Will on March 22. In an earlier season we were told that... March 22 is actually Will's birthday.

Will was being ignored and third-wheeled on his own birthday. Not only did no one say anything, no one even remembered! He actually had a gift for Mike that he didn't even give him. No wonder he felt so tossed aside.

Of course that could just be a coincidence that the writers had no intention of doing, but it fits really well lol, drat Will your life sucks

edit for ref: article

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 2, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

finally made it to ep7, really good season. baffled by people who think it Is The Worst, but I've enjoyed them all so maybe i just love slop pabulum, idk

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Very different experience to most people where when it comes to episode 4. Oh the big bad monster can't kill you if you whip out a Walkman. It's the 80s you see :dance:

Fun show in any case, the body horror bits were great and this season has been better season than the 3rd one which was already amazing. Gonna go ahead and guess that the Upside Down was created by Eleven and is about 3 years old. Vecna/One has a thing for spiders and Mind Flayer looks very much like a spider so most likely it's controlled by Vecna/One and not the other way around. They made a point about the last entry in Nancy's diary in Upside Down being from the day Will disappeared there and I assume that's the same day Eleven escaped and caused Upside Down to pop into existance.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just finished the seven episodes.... need to read the thread but will just say that I really enjoyed it overall and (thus far) I think it's the best season after 1. Better than 2 or 3 by a long shot. Given the conversation that seems to have come up pitting this against Obi-Wan Kenobi, just based from the released episodes of each, it's not even close, this is so better than Kenobi by any metric.

My favorite part probably has to be Gelman psyching himself up to attack Yuri by convincing himself he has it within himself to beat up a 15 year old. Also with the risotto scene, I'm glad we finally got a fourth episode of Dinner with Friends with Brett Gelman and Friends/

Russia storyline speculation: the season starts in Mid-March 1986, forget when exactly, but about a month before the Chernobyl explosion in April 1986. Given the seeming capture of the Mind Flayer in the USSR I wonder if the Russia stuff is going to wind up tying into Chernobyl. Especially as Hawkins lab was also disguised as a Department of Energy facility, so maybe in Stranger Things Chernobyl is actually a Mind Flayer prison disguised as a power plant.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Russia storyline speculation: the season starts in Mid-March 1986, forget when exactly, but about a month before the Chernobyl explosion in April 1986. Given the seeming capture of the Mind Flayer in the USSR I wonder if the Russia stuff is going to wind up tying into Chernobyl. Especially as Hawkins lab was also disguised as a Department of Energy facility, so maybe in Stranger Things Chernobyl is actually a Mind Flayer prison disguised as a power plant.

Oooooh I hadn’t thought of that, that would be a super cool twist

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Oooooh I hadn’t thought of that, that would be a super cool twist

Hahaha, I was the opposite. With the timeframe and locale, my immediate reaction was "Oh my god they better not be setting up fuckin' Chernobyl being related to Mindflayer poo poo."

Dunno if I need to spoiler that, just doing it to be safe.

Got through episode 7 last night; fun enough series, but I thought the Eleven plot and the Russia plot dragged, and not digging the whole Steve and Nancy plot point about will they get back together?. Don't really have much to add that hasn't been brought up by other posts already.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I hated season 3 but I'm drawn back in despite the storyline kudzu. The good is real good this season. I have a vested interest in Eddie's well-being because he is almost a perfect clone in every way of my childhood hero, my cousin Mike.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Not that this is proof of implausibility, but Hawkins is probably closer to Chernobyl than Kamchatka.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So I didn't get, is it "any music" or "favourite music" that frees you from Mr. Vecna's Wild Ride? Because it didn't seem like Creel's favourite song was Dream a little dream of me, just what was playing at the time.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
No way would Eddie not know what a "hivemind" is, immersion ruined :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

canepazzo posted:

So I didn't get, is it "any music" or "favourite music" that frees you from Mr. Vecna's Wild Ride? Because it didn't seem like Creel's favourite song was Dream a little dream of me, just what was playing at the time.

We have no evidence that it wasn't his favorite. Also I suppose it could be possible that it's just "A song the victim really likes" vs "The one and only top number 1 song they love"

The important part is that it lights up a different part of the brain and helps the victim remember happy memories