Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i read that as he's standing in front of the saddle, ie the typical nutcrusher position if your bike's standover height is too high relative to your inseam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

e.pilot posted:

if you’re on the saddle and can touch both feet on the ground, by definition they do not

Checkmate, recumbentists.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

CopperHound posted:

I've been meaning to ask you since I've seen how you're built: Do you stand on your toes when stopped on a bike with a level top tube or just track stand indefinitely?

https://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html

It’s hard to relate to not being able to stand over the top tube, feet flat on the floor. Is this really not possible on any modern bike with a sloped top tube (of the right size)?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ahh but what if they’re running 250mm cranks

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

e.pilot posted:

if you’re on the saddle and can touch both feet on the ground, by definition they do not

good thing that wasn't what i said then

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

wooger posted:

https://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html

It’s hard to relate to not being able to stand over the top tube, feet flat on the floor. Is this really not possible on any modern bike with a sloped top tube (of the right size)?

I'm 5'8" and ride a 58cm frame in order to get enough reach. My legs are like a corgi. My torso is like a corgi.
My butt is also like a corgi.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
For 90% of people, standing over with feet flat and a bit of gooch room works as a fit, but sometimes there's a way you want the bike to work where that's not practical, and that's fine as long as the cyclist isn't a noob and is on board with it.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I've got three steel frame bikes that have a more or less flat top tube and I can comfortably stand over it and am very comfortable while riding :shrug:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bicievino posted:

I'm 5'8" and ride a 58cm frame in order to get enough reach. My legs are like a corgi. My torso is like a corgi.
My butt is also like a corgi.

You what? Are your arms 100” Long?

I ride a 58 (with 130mm stem) and I’m 6’5”.

Is this a road bike we’re talking about?
Pictures please.

Mauser posted:

I've got three steel frame bikes that have a more or less flat top tube and I can comfortably stand over it and am very comfortable while riding :shrug:

Yeah, you should be able to - I have the same experience. And with modern bikes with sloped too tubes, it’s nowhere near my crotch for standover obviously.

wooger fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 1, 2022

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Not sure if this is the best place but I'm looking for upgrade advice or maybe to be told to just buy a Surly Midnight Special / All-City Gorilla Monsoon and stop loving around in my basement.

A few years ago, the steerer tube broke off my singlespeed Trek 720, and instead of fixing it, I bought a '88 Bianchi Grizzly in lugged Tange steel off craigslist and built it into this dropbar commuter/fuckaround monster with Schwalbe Big Apple tires. It has a rear u-brake lol.

(since this photo I added Dia-Compe ENE bar-end friction shifters for more handlebar room, a crazy-ugly Spoon saddle, panniers, and fenders)

I look 100% rad riding it but it doesn't feel 100% rad to ride. Which was OK at first cuz it was just a rough pavement commuter bike too hideous to steal, but now I'm no longer commuting anywhere, so it would be nice if it was just a little more fun. Note the egg-shaped Biopace chainrings. My only bike experience from the past 15 years has been that zippy old Trek singlespeed and this heavy Biopace behemoth. I kept the Biopace because Sheldon Brown said he liked it. I am wondering if this is partly making it feel un-fun to ride, but I don't have a ton of recent non-Biopace experience to compare it to.

Basically I am looking for advice on whether I should convert it to some kind of hip, modern "1 (or 2) by 11/whatever" setup or just replace the chainrings and cassette or maybe just get new wheels and wait for new bike prices/stock to level out.

Ideal gearing would be sorta low-medium hilly pavement with a little light singletrack mixed in. I guess gravel bike territory. The gearing on this right now is a little on the low end but basically fine. Rear derailleur is a Deore RD-MT60 that seems OK and whatever '88 equivalent Deore front derailleur. If I can keep using the RD-MT60, great. I would especially like to keep using the bar-end shifter(s).

Beyond the Biopace, it's also 39.5 pounds with lights/lock/1 empty pannier/etc. I'm OK with a heavy bike but I'm thinking I need to replace the wheels, which are original Aray RM-20 rims on Suzue hubs. Decent Japanese brands (?) but they are a little beat up. There's a mild dip in the back that shop truing wasn't able to totally fix.

I'll probably get a Sun Rhyno Lite wheelset like these and maybe some sort of Rene Herse (350 grams) bad pavement + light trail tire that doesn't weigh as much as the Schwalbe Big Apples (2 lbs each lol). Although I may just stick with the Apples for awhile and see if the new wheels are enough. If anyone thinks there's a better good+cheapish wheelset than this, I am very open to suggestions.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
A brand new bike might be cheaper than that laundry list of parts but I'm not going to judge if you keep the frankenbike thing going. I've gone through half a dozen bikes that are all cobbled together like that.

Either get a brand new one or do everything on that list and post it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wooger posted:

You what? Are your arms 100” Long?

I ride a 58 (with 130mm stem) and I’m 6’5”.

Sounds like you got a lot of leg going on. I'm 5'10" (with what I thought were long legs) but can manage some 56cm frames. I had one 58cm and was pretty stretched out.
Hmm, body proportions vary a lot, weird.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kimbo305 posted:

Sounds like you got a lot of leg going on. I'm 5'10" (with what I thought were long legs) but can manage some 56cm frames. I had one 58cm and was pretty stretched out.
Hmm, body proportions vary a lot, weird.

My legs are shorter than average for my height, that’s why I don’t need a bike with more stack. But still long by normal standards sure.

You should be on a 52 or 54, no?

I want to see a photo of bicievino on their bike cause I just don’t believe it at present.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pretty sure the guy with a national champions jersey is doing just fine in the bike fit department.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Pretty sure the guy with a national champions jersey is doing just fine in the bike fit department.

Who has a national champions jersey?
As I say, I want to see a photo, it’ll be educational if nothing else.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

My legs are shorter than average for my height, that’s why I don’t need a bike with more stack. But still long by normal standards sure.

I want to see a photo of bicievino on their bike cause I just don’t believe it at present.

Guess what, if you have a big "ape index" and an aggressive fit, your reach needs are going to be pretty high. I am similar to bicievino in that I am 5'10" riding a 56cm Madone with a 120mm stem and 100mm reach bars... and my elbows still point backwards in my most aero position in the drops...and they point way backwards in the sphinx. To this extent, my custom gravel bike has a 406mm reach + 120mm stem + 70mm bars and on that bike I intentionally have less drop/reach than on my road bike. Also the fitter initially had me at 416mm reach, but Paul/Rock Lobster said it would be hard to make a frame that long without also making it a lot taller.

If you want to see a photo of bicievino on a bike, I'm sure you could find one.

Also this is a continuation of an older discussion involving you where we disagreed on which body morphology needed to size up when in between sizes. Hint: It's the short legs / long torso rider.

e: Some people have poor hip flexibility and arch their backs. Their reach needs are lower than people with good hip flexibility and "straight" backs.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 2, 2022

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

wooger posted:

Who has a national champions jersey?
As I say, I want to see a photo, it’ll be educational if nothing else.

The poster being discussed lol

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I don't actually have any good photos of me on my road bike, but here's a nice profile shot from last Friday.

Not an identical fit, my track bike is actually a 60cm TT, not a 58, and I run a 140mm stem.

https://evrgrnphoto.smugmug.com/2022-Races/JBV-52722/i-R5Z2mbm

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wooger posted:

52s are almost always too short. My desired reach seems to be 380-385 with a 100cm stem, which can be 54-56 for frame sizes.
I run 77.5cm crank to saddle height, so at least clearing the top tube of bigger frames usually isn't an issue.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

TobinHatesYou posted:

e: Some people have poor hip flexibility and arch their backs. Their reach needs are lower than people with good hip flexibility and "straight" backs.

:negcycle:

5'8 with 375 reach ~52cm frame, and a custom seat tube angle that brings the saddle another ~25mm closer to the bars.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

All bodies are different, and this is why sizing based on height is stupid.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

bicievino posted:

All bodies are different, and this is why sizing based on height is stupid.

Reminds me of when, in the 1920s, the US Air Force tried to build the ideal cockpit for the average pilot, and was shocked to find that everyone's actual human meat body was weird and misshapen and didn't fit their ideal cockpit.
https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/01/16/when-us-air-force-discovered-the-flaw-of-averages.html

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 2, 2022

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also bike frame nominal sizes are only marginally less arbitrary than womens' dress sizes

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a recommendation for a horn? Ideally it would be a generic electric one so I can wire it into the existing ebike system but I'm open to suggestions.

I get cut off on the street by drivers, dipshit cyclists, and oblivious pedestrians daily and I have to choose between my little bell and yelling at them. People seem to get upset when I yell at them for trying to kill me so I figure I'll try a horn for awhile.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a horn? Ideally it would be a generic electric one so I can wire it into the existing ebike system but I'm open to suggestions.

I get cut off on the street by drivers, dipshit cyclists, and oblivious pedestrians daily and I have to choose between my little bell and yelling at them. People seem to get upset when I yell at them for trying to kill me so I figure I'll try a horn for awhile.

Yeah drivers are much more accommodating when you honk at them.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SimonSays posted:

Yeah drivers are much more accommodating when you honk at them.

It's the accepted way to get someone's attention on the road so there's at least a chance it won't make people angry. Yelling guarantees the driver will get angry.

I'm not looking to rampage around town honking at people, I just need a better option to help avoid getting put in as many dangerous situations. That and chirp at people staring at their phones while the light's green.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

rampage around town honking at people

idk I wouldn’t rule this out

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I run a horn on my e-bakfiets. I used to have a 12v stepdown circuit on that thing but removed it so I just wired a horn for higher voltage than 12 straight to the battery (via a fuse and a generic set of handlebar switches). Looks like this:
Can be found on amazon or similar and handles 36-72V, costs about a tenner.

When I used that bike as my main winter commuter these would rust out pretty fast from all the road salt (absurd amounts where I live) so I bought a bunch for like $5 each and kept replacing them. I still have three or four laying in one of the bike parts storage boxes.

In my experience it's a useful option to have, good for safety. You have a chance of penetrating earbuds and headphones and car glass and get people's attention. It also tends to confuse pedestrians and cyclists - everybody knows what a bell means but a horn can mean lots of things. It doesn't sound like a car but could easily be a motorcycle. Some people get pissed off. I don't rage honk much but yeah, last time I rode the bakfiets home from work a lady in a dark German car had stopped right in the bike lane and I kept honking until at least she made a gesture that indicated she felt some manner of shame for blocking all bike traffic while waiting for an opportunity to pass that poorly designed intersection (good drivers will look out for bikes and reverse for a bit to let bikes pass since we have right of way in that particular spot).

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I bought a very nice two tone Hella 12v horn drawing about 8 amps on Amazon a long time ago for about $15, and wired it up with a generic USB powerpack that had a 12v output which could support up to 10 amps, and a weatherproof switch capable of handling the high(er) dc current.

I have found it very useful to 'speak car' as the Loud Bicycle company puts it. A quick honk if someone is merging into you or doing something else dumb almost always triggers a reflex for them to stop/move away.

It could definitely be used for evil if you don't have self control. The closest I get is if someone is parking blocking the bike lane (sadly common here) and getting out of their car, I will give them a honk at close range as I pass them. Since it is unexpected and, well, loud as poo poo (the reviews were all about it being an 'upgrade' from regular car horns), it gives a bit of a shock that hopefully people will remember next time they are choosing to block the bike lane!

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 5, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys that's exactly what I was looking for.

Your uses cases are pretty much mine as well. Drivers merging into my space, parked in the bike lane, etc. I'll keep the little bell for the trails so I don't scare the hell out of dog walkers.

Now if there was just a good way to communicate "take your right-of-way and stop yielding to me for no reason".

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Yeah, I still have a bell for the polite heads-up to pedestrians on shared paths.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Everyone should have at least a Crane bell if not a spur cycle bell (or clone) to tell people loudly they are coming by.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

honestly it'd be kinda nice if CARS had a bell for parking lots and stuff. even the super-quick single horn tap makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mauser posted:

Just found out a friend of mine got hit by a car running a red light and needed brain surgery. Wanted to say that there are things outside your control and it's a good idea to wear a helmet while commuting.

Update on friend?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

are there sites that show specs for old french bikes?

based on my current bike, my ideal stack is 23", and reach is about 15.4"

i'm looking at this peugeot https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-1971-peugeot-u08-single/7483615898.html

I found this one, I think this bike was originally a ten speed and then this person converted it. but it doesn't have the detailed measurements that bikes have today

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I thought you meant the parts standards that French bikes used and which ones the lower end ones like the UO8 had, and ran into this:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html#stem
That looks like what your CL listing has.

quote:

Unfortunately, prior to the mid '70s The UO8 and other Peugeots came with an AVA (death) stem. The one on this bike is the later improved version, which had a single expansion slot at the base. Older versions had two slots and would fatigue and break off just above the expander wedge. In any case, the concept of an internal expander wedge which works fine on steel stems, is completely wrong on an aluminum stem.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hmm thanks, maybe I should pass on this one haha

there seem to be several very low price single speeds out there, like that fyxation pixel, or the masi uno riser

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

actionjackson posted:

are there sites that show specs for old french bikes?

As far as I know nobody has put in the work to measure every model of every year of old French bikes and put that into a public database. The manufacturers certainly didn't publish that information, I can only remember seeing that kind of info in the catalogues of certain high end racing bike manufacturers.

For parts specs you can find some catalogues here and there, but they'll also sometimes be vague. Manufacturers used to, and still do, use OEM parts or white label parts, so the info in the catalogue won't necessarily help any.

I would absolutely love being proved wrong, it would be super informative to see a representative cross section of bikes from those after-war years, particularly if we knew what tubing and castings they used where.

E: the catalogue page for that UO8 lists "Peugeot Special Tubing". What is that!? We'll never know, the information probably doesn't even exist anymore, even if someone had access to Peugeot's own records from the 70s.

SimonSays fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 6, 2022

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

a death stem isn't a dealbreaker as long as you treat it as if it were already broken and replace it before riding

e: to be clear, replace meaning a different style of stem, not a new deathstem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
There are specific French bikes one would really desire. This particular one is not one of them.