Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I think the aging of the market just means people have less time to play, and/or burn out.

But it’s a strange attitude in the light of PF2e. In that game it’s apparent that they’re really trying to avoid adding anything too powerful in the supplements, but all that means is that the big power builds are in the core book and don’t change so power gamer groups stagnate, while non power gamer groups never cared about them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think it's just sort of inevitable that after a while a game that's got a lot of stuff built up around it will probably be on a downslide trajectory since invested players will get tired/get burned out/find new hobbies/no longer have the time to do stuff/etc and drift away, while newer players are more likely to find a hobby with what is going to essentially seem like a lot of "required reading" to catch up on to be intimidating or offputting or just like too much of a hassle. That is to say that while I think Tuxedo Catfish raises some well considered points, I think that PF1 trailing off probably just had more to do with the inertia running out than the audience suddenly getting way more discerning (though given that the original d20 bubble burst for this reason, I also can't discount the possibility out of hand).

And also just at a certain point, even in a game that isn't built on as much of a foundation of jank as PF1 was, once you start wanting to make more extensive changes and additions to a game going forward it does start to raise the question of whether it's better to try and hammer the existing game into a new configuration or start from a fresh foundation. As someone who finds it fairly ridiculous the lengths people will go to try and shoehorn every sort of game and genre they can into a D&D-shaped hole, I'm sympathetic to anyone who decides that a clean-ish break is actually the better way forward.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

hyphz posted:

I think the aging of the market just means people have less time to play, and/or burn out.

But it’s a strange attitude in the light of PF2e. In that game it’s apparent that they’re really trying to avoid adding anything too powerful in the supplements, but all that means is that the big power builds are in the core book and don’t change so power gamer groups stagnate, while non power gamer groups never cared about them anyway.
So exactly the same as 3.5 and PF1?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Terrible Opinions posted:

That seems to happen with a lot of games that expand their option pools later, not always but enough to be a thing for sure.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hyphz posted:

There is a massive range of groups that fall between the groups that do not give a poo poo about power at all and "power gamer" groups.

For example, personally I really like Pathfinder 2 and for me it's important that the balance is good enough. I don't really care if a couple of super specialized builds or groups can edge out 30% more DPR or whatever, as long as most of the options available in the game are fun and can mechanically good enough to accomplish their goals. PF2 isn't perfect in that regard (paizo is a bit too conservative with power level in newer releases imo) but it accomplishes it fine.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sayre talks about players "aging out of being reliable customers," which is a pretty weird thing to say if you're not talking about, like, LEGOs or something; adults generally have more money to spend on a product that isn't outright for children.

So what's the problem?

As far as I can tell, it seems to be that Pathfinder's core audience, while still invested in Pathfinder as a game and still broadly preferring its core design, were becoming more critical and demanding and not buying every half-assed player option supplement that Paizo put out.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fear of change, baroque TTRPG rules that weight character creation more than execution, the sense of competition between co-op partners to build the most stupid busted bullshit you can, all of that -- regardless of what you or I think of it, that poo poo is what put Paizo on the map.

I don't disagree with anything in your post, especially this last part, but I think you might be focusing on aging out more than the reliable customers.

D&D manages to suck all the air out of the room by having an associated, purchasable identity. When WotC tried to out-grog Paizo, they arguably knew what they were doing: For all of 5e's faults, it had the ampersand on the cover and organized play.

People switched to PF1 because they were Dungeons and Dragons players, and Paizo promised to keep making that game under a different title.

I'd suggest that what drove players in Paizo's direction initially was the culture war-esque branding of product as identity. D&D players followed D&D to its "reign in exile" at Paizo after 4e was rejected as a tabletop MMO cash-grab for babies.

The shoe didn't stopped fitting. The customers never outgrew it, but now the name brand was catering to them again.

Classic Coke was back, so the Coke superfans put down the Pepsi and RC they'd been telling themselves was "real Coke" in the interim.

What happened culturally with PF and 4e and Next and 3.x had very little to do with each games' rules and design.

PF1 players had consumed enough PF1 products to affirm that they were D&D players, and now the pathway to affirming that identity had shifted.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
PF2e has PC Skeletons as an option so clearly it is the superior system

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Froghammer posted:

PF2e has PC Skeletons as an option so clearly it is the superior system
So does 5e, and in a considerably superior manner.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
What, do you get +2 to CON and don't need to eat or sleep? :V

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sasha_d3ath posted:

What, do you get +2 to CON and don't need to eat or sleep? :V
It's the new lineages thing so you get +2 to whatever, +1 to whatever, a bunch of being dead stuff (like as you said no sleeping) then you write "skeleton" or "frankenstein" or whatever under species.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

3.5 and PF1? Pfft. You didn't get MoMF and Synthesist in the core books.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Neither of those are even remotely as powerful as base wizard.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Neither of those are even remotely as powerful as base wizard.

I'm not familiar with that prestige class. Is that from the Plants vs. Zombies adaptation?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not familiar with that prestige class. Is that from the Plants vs. Zombies adaptation?

It's the counterpart to the acid cleric and alkali sorcerer

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's the counterpart to the acid cleric and alkali sorcerer

The druid is once again required to be neutral.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Saline Druid.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that might be a more precise way to express it than what i said, or perhaps a way that more closely reflects the way they thought about it to themselves, but I mean -- it just sounds like you're describing them prioritizing D&D the brand over D&D the game, which doesn't seem that different from what I'm saying in any case

AD&D i think was mostly trying to distinguish itself as much as possible from Basic D&D (that poo poo's for kids! this is a real man's D&D!), more banking on perceived superiority and coolness instead of a pure nostalgia-wank like the 4E -> 5E transition, but still shares a lot of the same problems
It's not you, I have a bad habit of reiterating what somebody else said with only slightly more detail.

I don't think 2e was a repudiation of Basic per se. Basic wasn't popular at TSR, but I haven't found, like, any digs at it in Dragon in the lead-up to 2e. And Zeb Cook wrote the Expert Set and some important Basic modules like Isle of Dread. There were business reasons for making 2e, but it was nonetheless a good-faith effort to reorganize and simplify the corebooks.

I think the biggest similarity to 5e is the way they solicited feedback when they were planning it out. Cook even went out of his way to be provocative, kicking things off with the "Who Dies?" column about which classes would get the axe. (In the end, only the Assassin literally died.) Another key similarity was the decision to prioritize existing fans over new ones. The conventional wisdom was that a book can be either an instruction manual or a reference but not both at once, and they came down on the side of making it a handy reference for the existing fanbase.

I guess what I wanted to tease out was what a game actually looks like when it's designed for "feel" and to feel "classic." So like, some rules are contradictory: combat is theatre-of-the-mind but precise distances are given. Some are pointless: there are costs for basic adventuring gear and supplies that will stop mattering after a few sessions at most. Some feel vestigial: there are rules for hunger and thirst, but little incentive to actually use them. Some sorta trail off into nothing: there are guidelines for tracking time, but no built-in incentive to put time pressure on the players.

The funny thing is, I guess it does give new players the "Classic D&D Experience" from my POV. Because my initial experience with D&D is being confronted by all these rules and wondering why most of them exist. But D&D also wasn't one of the first five RPGs I ever played. We could probably also look across editions of e.g. Vampire or Shadowrun and the rift between what a new player probably expects, what the existing fanbase considers the Classic Experience, and what's actually in the books.

I notice that discussions about what's best for new players tend to get heated, because new players are this blank slate we can all project onto, and then argue that our own preferences are objectively what's best for The Hobby. Mike Mearls isn't the only game developer to do stupid poo poo and claim that it's for the benefit of new players.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 2, 2022

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I'm pretty sure base wizard is a PC class in Freebase

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Splicer posted:

It's the new lineages thing so you get +2 to whatever, +1 to whatever, a bunch of being dead stuff (like as you said no sleeping) then you write "skeleton" or "frankenstein" or whatever under species.

I'm not really seeing how that's significantly different from, let alone "considerably superior" to, the skeleton ancestry in Pathfinder 2e.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Which game lets you be a skeleton bard and play your rib marimbas?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bottom Liner posted:

Maribmas was right there.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

Got ya covered (not really)

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
PF2e's Skeletons can:

- Fire their own ribs as arrows, dealing extra necrotic negative damage in exchange for HP
- Rip off the arm holding a weapon in order to wield that weapon-wielding arm as a weapon, giving themselves reach
- Collapse into a pile of bones mid-combat, gaining AC but knocking them prone
- Collapse into a pile of bones out of combat in order to disguise yourself as a pile of bones
- Once per day become a skull floating in the center of a massive swirling vortex of bones

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Froghammer posted:

PF2e's Skeletons can:

- Fire their own ribs as arrows, dealing extra necrotic negative damage in exchange for HP
- Rip off the arm holding a weapon in order to wield that weapon-wielding arm as a weapon, giving themselves reach
- Collapse into a pile of bones out of combat in order to disguise yourself as a pile of bones
- Once per day become a skull floating in the center of a massive swirling vortex of bones

This is literally the first pitch for any version of Pathfinder that has genuinely peaked my interest.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Froghammer posted:

PF2e's Skeletons can:

I feel like it's also vital to mention this feat is called "Well-armed"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Maribmas was right there.

Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Leperflesh posted:

This is literally the first pitch for any version of Pathfinder that has genuinely peaked my interest.

Same, that actually sounds rad.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Leperflesh posted:

Pathfinder 2e is shockingly cool and good, it's a nearly complete reversal of course from 1e. Paizo's got problems and a closet full of skeletons and I trust their corporate wing about 0%, but the cool books they've been putting out combined with their unionization has been really nice to see.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Leperflesh posted:

Same. That's the kind of goofy skeleton action I crave.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FishFood posted:

Pathfinder 2e is shockingly cool and good, it's a nearly complete reversal of course from 1e. Paizo's got problems and a closet full of skeletons and I trust their corporate wing about 0%, but the cool books they've been putting out combined with their unionization has been really nice to see.

Yeah I just pretty much am done with every form of D&D, forever. Probably. Maybe I'll change my mind. But there's so many interesting RPGs that aren't basically some flavor of D&D, y'know?

But poo poo. Spooky Scary Skeleton Time sounds rad.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
PF2e's got all sorts of good stuff in it if you scratch the surface and get used to the concept of eight hojillion keywords

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's also got the digest-sized core books I crave.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Getting drafted into the Pathfinder 2e skeleton war

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

Getting drafted into the Pathfinder 2e skeleton war

Drafted? They can't keep up with the volunteers!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sayre talks about players "aging out of being reliable customers," which is a pretty weird thing to say if you're not talking about, like, LEGOs or something; adults generally have more money to spend on a product that isn't outright for children.

There are two obvious things going on here. First any hobby has attrition as people's time and interests changed. I don't do all the same things I did ten years ago. Do you? And kids are a big reason. The second is that new publications, especially ones involving character options are frequently more and more niche because the obvious ones have already been produced. To use a 3.X example the initial Forgotten Realms supplement sold pretty well as people wanted the realms. The seventeenth? Not so much. And Pathfinder 1 was deep into the point of diminishing returns. (I also think that pre-essentials 4e had filled out most of the obvious design space by Martial Power 2 and needed some twist on the basic formula).

quote:

And depending on exactly how highly you think of Pathfinder 2E and how much of this stuff it actually changes, it also suggests that new players are an appealing demographic not because some other sophisticated and self-aware taste has achieved greater popularity than the desire for system mastery -- but rather because they're younger, less literate, and not as critical.

At least PF 2e allowed for resetting the supplement treadmill, first so newbies weren't overwhelmed (but then they went for absurd numbers of feats) and second so the concepts being sold were relatively basic and thus appealing to a lot of people.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Froghammer posted:

PF2e's Skeletons can:

Before anyone starts thinking that Pathfinder 2 came up with something cool you could actually use without jumping through a whole lot of hoops that should have read "PF2e's skeletons with the right feats can:", with at least one of those abilities requiring not just a feat but being level 17 before you can take the feat. And in case anyone was under the impression that Pathfinder 2 wasn't a clunky system full of traps that gates all the cool stuff behind feats there's a feat required for you to "lay prone and pretend to be a regular skeleton"

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I mean, in Pathfinder 2e literally everything is a feat, that's just the term used for "different options from a list".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

neonchameleon posted:

Before anyone starts thinking that Pathfinder 2 came up with something cool you could actually use without jumping through a whole lot of hoops that should have read "PF2e's skeletons with the right feats can:", with at least one of those abilities requiring not just a feat but being level 17 before you can take the feat. And in case anyone was under the impression that Pathfinder 2 wasn't a clunky system full of traps that gates all the cool stuff behind feats there's a feat required for you to "lay prone and pretend to be a regular skeleton"

That's disingenuous because these feats don't compete with anything but themselves. And you get them automatically.

So, yes, you don't get every cool skeleton thing all at once, but Ancestry feats are largely low-power, high-flavor options that you use to differentiate yourself from, say, other skeletons in your party.

They aren't traps by any sane metric.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Paizo Staff guy in that quote is basically hotdogsuit.jpg "we're all trying to find the guy who did this!"
Pretty much everyone at Paizo knows that management actively tried to court the worst aspects of the community and tried to make it flourish. It wasn't a huge secret in that regard. I don't think grognard is the word Michael wanted to use in that regard but then again he's probably just being tactful.

quote:

I dunno, that read as "we hosed up and wanted to change to me."

It's pretty clear they realized they had created a dead end largely toxic community around the game. But like you can't actually say it as the representative of the company. You just walk up to the line and let the person reading take the final step.
Yeah exactly. I get the impression after hanging around and interacting with Paizo employees for many years that there are parts of the company that actively tried to court toxic parts of the community and parts that hated the toxicity.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 3, 2022

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Toshimo posted:

That's disingenuous because these feats don't compete with anything but themselves. And you get them automatically.

But it is fiddly faff - especially when (as I pointed out) at least one of them is things you can't do.

quote:

[So, yes, you don't get every cool skeleton thing all at once, but Ancestry feats are largely low-power, high-flavor options that you use to differentiate yourself from, say, other skeletons in your party.

You mean that things like, oh I don't know, your class, don't differentiate you from each other in the rare event that you have a theme party. And they are low-power, high-faff although I will accept that at least some of them are very flavoursome.

quote:

They aren't traps by any sane metric.

The one I linked, Play Dead, is an "air-breathing mermaid" feat. If it didn't exist I would assume any skeleton was capable of lying down and playing dead. But because it does exist it implies most skeletons can't play dead and pretend to be an inanimate skeleton otherwise the feat does nothing. That's a definite system trap right there even if it's not a trap in the way e.g. 3.X Toughness was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

neonchameleon posted:

The one I linked, Play Dead, is an "air-breathing mermaid" feat. If it didn't exist I would assume any skeleton was capable of lying down and playing dead. But because it does exist it implies most skeletons can't play dead and pretend to be an inanimate skeleton otherwise the feat does nothing. That's a definite system trap right there even if it's not a trap in the way e.g. 3.X Toughness was.
No that's just a poor misunderstanding of the rules on your part. You can use deception to pretend to be a skeleton without that feat. It just removes the randomness of the d20 roll because its the equivalent of taking 10.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 3, 2022