Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Phy posted:

Some jamoke introduced them to Patagonia, where they have become an invasive species that has blighted forests that didn't evolve to cope with being chewed up and drowned all the time
https://phys.org/news/2021-04-brought-humans-beavers-threaten-patagonia.html

The New Zealand moose seem to have been much better neighbors

I hope in the far future, when mankind has mastered terraforming, we designate one planet to be the Ecological Thunderdome

or we just write off an isolated island on earth idk just spitballing here

e: gently caress me that's a terrible snipe

erm

the Hippo Plan, where America planned to import hippos for meat and just let them roam free in Louisiana

also, less funny but still very cool - the bronze age in the Levant being kicked off with cornish tin

Extensive stone-age trade networks are fun to me, ok :colbert:

Ichabod Sexbeast has a new favorite as of 19:37 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My last name is Hancock so my ancestors sounded like they had fun jobs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I hope in the far future, when mankind has mastered terraforming, we designate one planet to be the Ecological Thunderdome

That was Earth for a pretty long time

At least until evolution ruined a perfectly good ape

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

also, less funny but still very cool - the bronze age in the Levant being kicked off with cornish tin

[Tides of History] is my favorite pod for this stuff. There's an interesting corollary with how the breakdown of the same interconnected complex trade networks was what brought down the roman empire and cemented the ills of the european dark ages

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

[Tides of History] is my favorite pod for this stuff.

Tide pod? So 2020.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

the Hippo Plan, where America planned to import hippos for meat and just let them roam free in Louisiana

Hippos are actually an invasive species in Colombia. Pablo Escobar imported them to his private zoo and after his death they escaped.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Alhazred posted:

In 1901 the Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization needed money badly. It was decided that simply robbing people would make them look bad but holding people hostage for ransom was acceptable. So in august one the leaders, Yane Sandanski, kidnapped the american missionaries Ellen Maria Stone and Katerina Stefanova-Cilka (who were pregnant at the time). Their demand were 25,000 Tturkish pounds. President Roosevelt denied to pay it, but allowed a private fund raising. They managed to raise 14,000 Tturkish gold liras which the milita accepted and an exchange happened. They then discovered that a sort of reverse stockholm syndrome had happened. The militia had helped Stefanova-Cilka deliver her baby, cared for it and even held a thanksgiving dinner for their hostages. The militia also complained about how Ellen Stone had treated them, saying: "Have you ever found yourself in a position of strong opposition to a middle-aged woman with a determined will all her own? She assuming the attitude that you are a brute and making you feel like a brute?"

I hate when the woman I kidnapped makes me feel like a brute

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently she constantly tried to convert them into christians.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Apparently she constantly tried to convert them into christians.

Terrible behavior from any sort of guest.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

or we just write off an isolated island on earth idk just spitballing here

e: gently caress me that's a terrible snipe

erm

Well we have that antropogenic forest on the previously pretty barren and volcanic Ascension island that is like the textbook example of ecological fitting, where a bunch of introduced species, many without close evolutionary histories of interacting form new communities in a new ecosystem.

Alhazred posted:

Hippos are actually an invasive species in Colombia. Pablo Escobar imported them to his private zoo and after his death they escaped.

And parts of the public are very opposed to attempts at getting rid of them. Even biologists, who naturally can be among the strongest public proponents of eradicating them, receive death threats.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i've been reading and watching a lot on japanese train stuff as of late and i learned that a lot of the northbound shinkansen lines out of tokyo originally got NIMBY'd out of the city proper because the first one between tokyo and osaka was really loud, and even now they operate at 130km/h in the city to cut down on noise

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Propagate hippos everywhere imo

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
AFAIK so far Colombia has for now a compromise solution of chemically castrating a bunch of the hippos. A few years ago a soldier killed a hippo who kept to close to a town and there was some outrage about it.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Hippo castrator is one hell of a metal job title.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Australia has a feral camel population in the outback because the British imported camels from Afghanistan and British India, along with their cameleers, to help with transport and construction as they colonized and explored central and western Australia.
When cars became popular the camels got released into the wild where they thrived. There's about a million of them out there now.

Helith has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Jun 2, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Australia exports feral camels to Arabia” sounds fake as hell but is absolutely true.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

“Australia exports feral camels to Arabia” sounds fake as hell but is absolutely true.

Australia also sells sand to Saudi Arabia!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Helith posted:

Australia has a feral camel population in the outback because the British imported camels from Afghanistan and British India, along with their cameleers, to help with transport and construction as they colonized and explored central and western Australia.
When cars became popular the camels got released into the wild where they thrived. There's about a million of them out there now.

I wish Americas feral camels hadn't died out. :(

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I wish Americas feral camels hadn't died out. :(

Be the change ecological disaster you want to see in the world.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Australia also sells sand to Saudi Arabia!

This is coincidentally also how you disguise bribes

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Helith posted:

Also horses.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Australia's fauna is basically 90% feral animals and 10% spiders.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is more of an ecological fun fact, but the saltwater crocodile is the world’s largest terrestrial predator.

People will say “but it has ‘water’ in its name!”

This is true, but the other candidate is named Ursus maritimus and is categorized as a marine mammal. It’s not exactly a landlubber itself.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

thetoughestbean posted:

I hate when the woman I kidnapped makes me feel like a brute

Let the victim's husband try to make the kidnappers kill her and you have the basic plot of Ruthless People.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't want to kill. Anyway, I'm off to Alice's Restaurant.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

:hai: There is a report of the case:

Bell's New Weekly Messenger, April 30, 1837, p. 6-7 posted:

A DEARLY-BOUGHT KISS

Caroline Newton was indicted for assaulting Thomoas Saverland and biting off his nose. The complainant, whose face bore incontestible evidence of the severe injury inflicted, the fleshy part of the left nostril being completely gone, stated that on the day after Christmas Day he was in a tap-room where were defendant and her sister. The sister laughingly observed that she had left her young man down at Birmingham, and had promised him no man should kiss her while absent. Complainant regarded this observation as a challenge, especially it being holiday time, and caught hold of her and kissed her. She took it in good part as joke, but defendant became angry, and desired she might have as little of that kind of fun as he pleased. Complainant told her if she was angry he would kiss her also and tried to do it. A scuffle ensued, and they both fell to the ground. After they got up complainant went and stood by the fire, and the defendant followed and struck at him. He again closed with her and tried to kiss her, and in the scuffle he was heard to cry out, She has got my nose in her mouth.” When they parted he was bleeding profusely from the nose, and a portion of it, which defendant had bitten off, she was seen to spit out of her mouth upon the ground. The defendant, a fat, middle-aged woman, treated the matter with great levity, and said he had no business to kiss her sister, or attempt to kiss her, in a public house; they were not such kind of people.

If she wanted to be kissed, she had a husband to kiss her, and he was a much handsomer man than defendant ever was, even before he lost his nose. The Chairman told the jury that it mattered little which way their verdict went. If they found her guilty the court would not fine her more than 1s., as the prosecutor had brought the punishment on himself. The jury, without hesitation, acquitted her. The Chairman told the prosecutor he was sorry for the loss of his nose, but if he would play with cats, he must expect to get scratched. Turning to the jury, the Chairman afterwards said, "Gentlemen, my opinion is that if a man attempts to kiss a woman against her will, she has a right to bite his nose off if she has a fancy for so doing."-"And eat it too," added a learned gentleman at the bar. The case caused much laughter to all except the poor complainant.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"And eat it too."-a learned gentleman at the bar

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Were they at the pub or how should I imagine that scene?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alhazred posted:

Australia's fauna is basically 90% feral animals and 10% spiders.

The three most common animal-related fatalities in Australia: getting kicked by a cow, falling off a horse, and crashing a motorcycle into a kangaroo.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Isn't the hippo the most dangerous wild animal in Africa by some huge margin? (Not counting mosquitoes, of course)

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!

Imagined posted:

Isn't the hippo the most dangerous wild animal in Africa by some huge margin? (Not counting mosquitoes, of course)

I thought that was the cape buffalo?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bulls are pissed when Matadors do the cape thing. An entire species of them must just be raging 24/7

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Imagined posted:

In no small part because of how people keep underestimating them because they're herbivores and look big and slow and chubby and friendly.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I think hippos are omnivores, also they are loving terrifying and kill tons of people. insanely territorial and immune to most bullets.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Imagined posted:

Blues Hammer posted:

I thought that was the cape buffalo?

Hippo kills more humans than any other mammal in Africa. They live in the water and leave at night, if a human accidentally gets between them and the water they’ll bite them in to three pieces in a single chomp. They have the strongest bite pressure of all mammals. They’re extremely paranoid when they’re out of the water, due to their vulnerability. They may look like giant balls of fat, but they can run 50kph (35mph). They are absolutely not to be hosed with.

Cape Buffalo does kill people but not as commonly as hippos. They’re less likely to stomp you, unless you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. As long as they have an escape route and you don’t startle them, they’ll probably just move away. Unfortunately they’re also quiet AF and easy to accidentally startle or run in to at night. Avoid.

Elephants are extremely dangerous when you’re on foot. They’ll stomp you without thinking twice, and they’ll follow you and get you, and they are much, much faster than you. They’re really, really smart and understandably have a fear and hatred of humans on foot. Fortunately, they are not stealthy. They’re loud and know they’re not vulnerable, so as long as you have some awareness of your surroundings, an elephant encounter isn’t likely. The nice thing about elephants at night is that if you know they’re outside your tent, you’re probably the safest you’ll ever be from other animals because every other animal (and human) respects them and stays the hell away.

Leopards are also extremely dangerous. They’re not likely to attack a full grown human unless they’re in the wrong place at the wrong time. A child they will absolutely see as prey. You will never know the leopard is there until it’s too late. They are absolutely invisible and silent, but usually won’t kill an adult. Sure will maul the gently caress out of you though. If you know there’s a leopard in the area, don’t be wandering on your own.

During the day you’re generally safe from all of the above, as they’ll stay away from human activity. The above were the things I was most concerned about encountering at night. I spent quite a few years living in the Masai Mara in Kenya, usually in a tent. When I lived there only one person I had any connection to got killed by an animal; a friend/coworker’s son was walking home late at night with a friend, after drinking and encountered an elephant. The friend ran, the son didn’t.

Closest (I’m aware of) coming close to an animal in the dark was a buffalo when I was getting up for a balloon flight. Came out of my tent and turned my flashlight towards a friends tent (opposite the direction I was heading) and saw the bright reflective eyes of a buffalo maybe 10 meters away. I went back inside and waited a minute, then checked again and it had moved away, so I went where I was going.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I once saw a black fox.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

i´ve probably seen more black arctic foxes than white ones.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

i´ve probably seen more black arctic foxes than white ones.

Yeah but this was a regular fox, only black, as it wasn't in the Arctic but in Rymättylä.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?